Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 03:13 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Got my exercise today. Played golf this morning but more exercise than normal. Wet course so it was cart path only. Lot of walking. BTW, shot my best score of the year. A 2 under 70.

Just got through mowing my mom's yard. Edged it also. A pretty muggy day so replenishing my fluids as I type this with a nice cold Coors Light.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2008, 04:39 PM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

fnished mowing the grass
took a walk
im bored today
Old 08-20-2008, 06:31 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

6AM: Jarred from a sound sleep by the alarm clock... Drank coffee and ogled Becky Quick watched Squawk Box until 7AM. Showered, packed my lunch, then drove to w*rk. Ate breakfast while surfing the forum.

9AM: Got busy making copies capacitors. Spun photoresist on a sample, spent half-an-hour trying to find the alignment markers, made difficult because I'm using 1/4 of a 2" wafer, while the mask with the pattern on it is for a full-sized 4" wafer... Finally "got the shot", baked the resist, then "developed". Etched some aluminum from the exposed area with a batch of hot phosphoric and nitric acid. Stripped the resist with acetone.

Noon: Had lunch, and visited the forum.

1PM: Began a four hour marathon of depositing eight layers of metal on the backside of the aforementioned sample - Ni, Au, Ge, Au, Ge, Au, Ni, Au - then annealed in N2 at 425C for 60 seconds.

5:30PM: Back to the Casa. Ate two Chicago-style dogs, with onion, tomato, dill relish, and brown mustard. Surfed the forum while not watching the Olympics.

10PM: Lights out!

Don't you guys miss having an exciting day like this, out there on the "cutting edge" of technology...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 08-20-2008, 06:33 PM   #84
Moderator Emeritus

So HFWR, what does that thingie do?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 08-20-2008, 06:38 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

He could tell you, but then he'd have to kill you.

At least there was no mayo on the hotdogs.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:40 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Why do women always ask me that?

Per Wikipedia:

Quote:
A capacitor is an electrical/electronic device that can store energy in the electric field between a pair of conductors (called "plates"). The process of storing energy in the capacitor is known as "charging", and involves electric charges of equal magnitude, but opposite polarity, building up on each plate.
They are often used for testing the characteristics of dielectric layers; i.e. non-conductive materials. In this case, new materials to make even smaller, faster transistors, so you can watch tv on your cell phone.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:45 PM   #87
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
He could tell you, but then he'd have to kill you.

At least there was no mayo on the hotdogs.
posted without comment....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic24393.jpg (34.8 KB, 18 views)
Old 08-20-2008, 06:48 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

No mayo involved, I hope...

Old 08-20-2008, 06:52 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Lot of walking. BTW, shot my best score of the year. A 2 under 70.
Way to go Dawg!

I drove north this AM to get some touch-up paint for my car. Came back and had some cold poached salmon and broccoli with mayo for lunch. Then walked down to get some massage work on my back. Started back up the hill but it was kind of hard on the back so I caught a bus home.

When I finish this vodka on the rocks I'll make dinner, then drive over to a son's place for a little TV.

Ha
Old 08-21-2008, 05:52 AM   #90
Full time employment: Posting here.

What a day

Got up early and saw the dawn from a farmers field. Shot a few crows trying to raid his vegetables. Went to my part time job for three hours. Came home had lunch, sealed the cracks in my driveway. Went for a motorcycle ride. Then met a few friends and shot two rounds of skeet. Came home had a bite to eat, surfed the net and went to bed. Busy day.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:48 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwonderfulwyoming View Post
posted without comment....
I would have a hard time buying a hot dog from that vendor.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:22 PM   #92
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
I did use quotes: "wasting" time. I agree it wasn't wasted. I value every minute of every day.
forgot the p.s. .... pulling your chain
Old 08-21-2008, 06:38 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Then drove motorhome to RV park near Eugene, OR. Got a nice pull forward site looking over pond with ducks.
BTW, I am not going to forgive you for driving by our house without stopping.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:02 PM   #94
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What part of "whatever I wanted to" don't you understand?
Old 08-21-2008, 10:13 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
BTW, I am not going to forgive you for driving by our house without stopping.
Oops! How'd I do that? I guess I had better drive by with a loudspeaker blaring so ER folks can run out and flag me down. I need a homing device.

Tried to catch SteveR today, but turned out he had left SLC this morning, and we arrived this evening! We've gotten pretty close a couple of times crossing paths with our RVs, but never quite close enough to meet.

Audrey
Old 08-21-2008, 10:38 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Drove motorhome 350 miles from Winnemucca, NV to Salt Lake City, UT. We're in the middle of a 3.5 day trek from Bend, OR to Fort Collins, CO. Then we'll take a break.

About 8 hours of driving plus several rest stops. We try to walk some at the rest stops. One near Bonneville Flats gave us a great view of the salt flats.

Stopped for fuel mid day - 85 gallons!

Camping at the KOA downtown. They have a nice park behind the huge and crowded RV park, so we were able to get in a nice walk before dinner in the motorhome.

Currently downloading music from iTunes to burn a CD for listening while on the road tomorrow. These long road trips sure motivate the downloads. Gotta update the iPod now!

Did almost the same yesterday! Tomorrow - get up and do it again!

The driver (me) is quite exhausted tonight.

Audrey
Old 08-24-2008, 08:54 PM   #97
Recycles dryer sheets

I try to build a rifle each year for deer hunting. This morning I sat in the early sun and put another coat of oil on the stock. Then it was snack time. After the snack I dead headed the roses and peonies before cleaning out the garden a little bit.

One cannot go to the store and buy ammo for the rifle I am building, so after lunch I started making cases. I then stopped to put on another coat of oil, recontoured the trigger guard and went back to making cases.

I'm going to go on a short trip tomorrow, and when I get back I will hopefully get to polish and blue the metal parts. The guts of this thing started out in a Japanese armory as a military arm for the Siamese army in the 1930's. The brass cases I am modifying were originally designed for a US army rifle in the 1890's.

My hobby is riflesmithing.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:00 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by limpid lizard View Post
The brass cases I am modifying were originally designed for a US army rifle in the 1890's.
30/40 Krag?

Ha
Old 08-24-2008, 10:05 PM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets

Yep, blown out straight and necked to 25 cal.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:56 AM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Note that I have forgiven Audrey. She didn't know where we lived, and has promised to look us up next time.

Turns out she stayed just down the road from us for a whole month!