Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #10041
Administrator

Wow! You are very meticulous Major Tom.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #10042
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I hope it won't be a problem that my HSA contribution won't arrive until next week.
This is your contribution for your 2011 HSA you are talking about, right? Just checking...I'm new to the HSA thing. We have one this year (2012) - I have until tax time next year to make the contribution for 2012, right? (alert, alert, - newbie question - have not had time to research this in depth!)

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 04-06-2012, 09:36 AM   #10043

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
This is your contribution for your 2011 HSA you are talking about, right? Just checking...I'm new to the HSA thing. We have one this year (2012) - I have until tax time next year to make the contribution for 2012, right? (alert, alert, - newbie question - have not had time to research this in depth!)
Hi simple girl. Yes, you have until April 15 (or whatever tax deadline date is) of next year. You can contribute more if you are over 55 (hey - not asking, just saying ) and eligibility is a bit complicated if you are not on the HSA policy the entire year.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #10044

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Hi simple girl. Yes, you have until April 15 (or whatever tax deadline date is) of next year. You can contribute more if you are over 55 (hey - not asking, just saying ) and eligibility is a bit complicated if you are not on the HSA policy the entire year.
Thank you!!! I know I can always count on people here to give me a quick answer! And LOL on the 55...not there yet - but hope to be someday!!!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 04-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #10045
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
We have one this year (2012) - I have until tax time next year to make the contribution for 2012, right?
As Michael said, that's correct. But a tip I learned with all tax-advantaged accounts (IRA, HSA, etc.): it's smart to make the contribution earlier (e.g. Jan 2, 2012 for your 2012 contribution), because that way, you get a whole additional year of tax free growth.

For some reason I missed that for 2011, but I will make my 2012 contribution in May (to avoid any confusion as to whether it is a 2011 or 2012 contribution).
Old 04-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #10046
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl

As Michael said, that's correct. But a tip I learned with all tax-advantaged accounts (IRA, HSA, etc.): it's smart to make the contribution earlier (e.g. Jan 2, 2012 for your 2012 contribution), because that way, you get a whole additional year of tax free growth.

For some reason I missed that for 2011, but I will make my 2012 contribution in May (to avoid any confusion as to whether it is a 2011 or 2012 contribution).
Thanks for jogging my brain to make a todo item for this.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #10047

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

I would just add one "minor" cautionary note. If there is any chance of not holding the HSA the entire year, this could lead to an excess contribution. For most people I would imagine the Jan 2 contribution that T-Al suggests is the best option.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #10048
Full time employment: Posting here.

Having a bagel on the Noah's bagel patio on my morning bike jaunt. The LBJ (little brown job) birds that live here have it made:

1. A big fountain to drink out of and take baths in.
2. A steady supply of bagel crumbs to nosh on.
3. A nice dense hedge to hang out in.

Why retire with a setup like that?
Old 04-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #10049

Finished and filed state and federal income tax.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #10050
Administrator

Performed the 110k mile maintenance on my 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid -- oil change, coolant flush, tire rotation, spark plug replacement. This is first engine I've seen with two plugs per cylinder. Since they cost $26 per plug, it really adds up. Thankfully, they only need changed every 110k miles.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #10051
Recycles dryer sheets

Verified that the Fed and State bloodsuckers received my 2011 tax returns, assisted my wife in the prep of our dinner, cooked enough ice cream mix for 6 pints of ice cream, calculated the weekly loss, and 10 year annualized gain on our actively managed portfolio.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #10052

Made my 2012 tIRA to Roth conversion, paid my estimated taxes to Feds and AZ. Oh and solved all the problems in the World.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #10053
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Finished and filed my last tax return for the year.

I do a number of relatives and a friend - 7 federal, 9 states and one trust return. Glad to be done.

Also, received checks for my ex-employer 401k in today's mail and turned it around and sent it to Vanguard to go into my tIRA. Can't remember having that big a check in my hands before.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #10054
Administrator

After sleeping really, really late we got to the gym by 3 PM and enjoyed a nice long workout. Despite being a lapsed Catholic, F. still wanted seafood today so that gave us a great excuse to enjoy some luscious Louisiana shrimp. We went to a slightly nicer restaurant than usual and ordered a fabulous grilled shrimp wrap for a late lunch, which was a wonderful experience. Besides, I got my hair cut yesterday so I felt really uptown.

Now that I am no longer in accumulation phase and can relax the LBYM a little, I can buy stuff. A couple of times a month, a package arrives from Amazon (usually just barely over the $25 supersaver shipping amount). When that happens I feel like a five year old on Christmas. Today I got five new t-shirts for wearing around the house so I am happy. Two are a bright enough purple to make your eyes cross and I love it.

So, what did I do today? In summary, "Oh... not much, really! It was great."

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #10055

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
More taxes. At least now I'm finished putting myself on report with the income section, and working on the creative writing essay deductions & credits.

You've already clearly marked the location of your property's sprinkler heads, sewer cleanouts, and water well connections?

Might be a good idea to plywood over any windows in the vicinity, too...
Nearest other camps are several miles away.

The bent blades are the result of the first attempt at mowing at my new camp. Overgrown grass, blade height a 6" and by the end of the exercise found most rocks and several concrete chunks. Along with pieces of rebar. I think.

The building on the property has no windows, just skylights. 1" thick laminated glass. Projectiles bounce off the concrete block walls, and the 1/4" steel door.. Hard hat is advisable for the ricochet.

By now I spray painted international orange all the found obtacles.

I think I'll name it some sort of a fort.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #10056

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
Having a bagel on the Noah's bagel patio on my morning bike jaunt. The LBJ (little brown job) birds that live here have it made:

1. A big fountain to drink out of and take baths in.
2. A steady supply of bagel crumbs to nosh on.
3. A nice dense hedge to hang out in.

Why retire with a setup like that?
I look at my cat sometimes and marvel at how little she needs for a happy life. She's already got a rent-free place to live, so all she needs is cat food. She's a wet food kitty, so I figured that she could retire once her portfolio reaches about 18K, which would keep her in cat food for life. Trouble is, it's so hard to convince her to set up an IRA......

Those LBJ birds are even more LBYM than my kitty. They don't need a retirement stash at all!
Old 04-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #10057

Went to the record store in Berkeley for my bi-weekly trip to sell CD's. As I slowly scan the artwork and rip the music to hard drive, I get rid of the CD's. Sold about 80 CD's today and got enough money to pay for lunch with a few bucks extra. I'm not getting rich off this, but it feels good shedding things.

Looked at a big pile of records on the pavement outside another record store. On a regular basis, they put the records that they cannot sell out on the sidewalk for people to pick up for free. Was looking at them and thinking how many bird tables I could make if I also had some broomstick handles and a few screws. You put the record in boiling water until it softens, then bend the sides up to form a bowl-like shape. Then put a screw through the center hole of the record and screw the record to the broomstick handle. Voila - free bird table.

Looking at those records, all I could see was hundreds of free bird tables.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #10058
Confused about dryer sheets

Hey! I joined this forum! That's what I did today!

Seriously, Hi Folks, I'm retired and live in Tasmania, if anybody has any questions about Australia I'll be happy to try and answer them.

What else did I do? Well, I put a bid on something on eBay that my wife expressly said that I should not bid on, that was pretty brave. (Although I know if we win it she'll actually be happy.)

I'm only on page 4 of this amazing thread (which was linked to from an Aussie board, not especially ER related) so I have plenty to read. I'd better get going or I'll never catch up.

Cheers
Old 04-06-2012, 10:51 PM   #10059

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobotivo View Post
Hey! I joined this forum! That's what I did today!

Seriously, Hi Folks, I'm retired and live in Tasmania, if anybody has any questions about Australia I'll be happy to try and answer them.

What else did I do? Well, I put a bid on something on eBay that my wife expressly said that I should not bid on, that was pretty brave. (Although I know if we win it she'll actually be happy.)

I'm only on page 4 of this amazing thread (which was linked to from an Aussie board, not especially ER related) so I have plenty to read. I'd better get going or I'll never catch up.

Cheers
Welcome to the site. Why don't you introduce yourself on the Hi, I am forum. Not everyone looks at this thread to see who's new to the site
Old 04-06-2012, 11:21 PM   #10060
Moderator Emeritus

Had a three-hour lunch with five guys who I haven't seen in a while. It was great to catch up on the gossip solve the world's problems. One of the guys has two kids in college and third in a private high school. He paid six figures in tuition last year. He says he can't qualify for financial aid but he's wondering whether it's cheaper to buy one of the schools.

I really enjoy watching the harbor traffic while thinking how nice it is not to have to deal with any of that any more.

Of course the bad news is that Gordon Biersch/Aloha Tower Marketplace is so quiet on a Friday noon that we could monopolize two tables for three hours.

Hey, I think I'll spend the rest of the evening... doing taxes. Oboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Performed the 110k mile maintenance on my 2008
Ouch, that's a lot of mileage in a short time.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Closed Thread