Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #10101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Went shopping with DH today....went to several different types of stores.

Money spent today....

DH...$300 for a new air compressor
Household/food items...$50
Kitty....$28
Me....$3.60 for a 'trinket'

Hmmmmm....something's just not right.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2012, 03:53 AM   #10102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Let's see - drove 4 hours to look at a motorhome my wife wants. After years of researching for a new one, had the model picked out and found one with just the right acessories. Spent three hours test driving it, and come desion time she said: "I don't want it" because it was too large to take some of the places we like to go (which we had already discussed).

She walked into a slide-in truck camper and said, "I like this."

Now I'm looking at pickup trucks...
Old 04-11-2012, 04:59 AM   #10103
Recycles dryer sheets

After making do with a 12" hacksaw for 20 years, I finally broke down and ordered a 16" stainless steel butcher saw with two extra 8tpi blades. As usual, I got an earful from my wife.
Wish I had room for the 22" model.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:47 AM   #10104
Give me a forum ...

Woke up, found this view from the dining room window.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0464.jpg (1.11 MB, 12 views)
Old 04-11-2012, 06:03 AM   #10105
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post

Ain't love grand...

Some of those truck campers can be super heavy. Better do some serious research on the load-carrying capability of the trucks you're looking at as some can't carry as much as the mfg would have you believe.

(Hint: check the fine print on the tire size/pressure information sticker - the one located inside the driver's door frame.)
Old 04-11-2012, 06:23 AM   #10106
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Let's see - drove 4 hours to look at a motorhome my wife wants. After years of researching for a new one, had the model picked out and found one with just the right acessories. Spent three hours test driving it, and come desion time she said: "I don't want it" because it was too large to take some of the places we like to go (which we had already discussed).

Please let us know what you settle on.
You're lucky to have a bride that still enjoys that 'outdoorsy' stuff.
I often reflect on the 3 week camper trip from San Francisco to Vancouver that I enjoyed with my wife and inlaws
Old 04-11-2012, 06:44 AM   #10107

Quote:
.Some of those truck campers can be super heavy. Better do some serious research on the load-carrying capability of the trucks you're looking at as some can't carry as much as the mfg would have you believe.
The one she likes has a dry weight of about 2900 lbs - Palimino Maverick 2902. A 2500HD has a cargo capacity about 4100, so we're considering a 3500. Like to go diesel, because I bet we'll be looking at a 5er in 4 years lol.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:46 AM   #10108

Quote:
. Please let us know what you settle on.
You're lucky to have a bride that still enjoys that 'outdoorsy' stuff.
I often reflect on the 3 week camper trip from San Francisco to Vancouver that I enjoyed with my wife and inlaws
We tent camped for our honeymoon, and have always enjoyed travel and staying in state parks. We'll let you know the final decision
Old 04-11-2012, 07:11 AM   #10109

Quote:
A 2500HD has a cargo capacity about 4100...
Please don't make the same mistake I made and believe the slick mfg. sales brochures.

Yes, you definitely do need to be looking at a 3500HD and paying close attention to the cargo carrying capacity (CCC) on the door sticker I noted above. That 4,100 number is for a stripped-down basic std cab truck with zero options. Everything the mfg. or you put on the truck adds weight and reduces CCC, including the heavier diesel engine, automatic transmission, crew cab configuration - even floor mats.

Prime example: I have a 2011 2500HD crew cab 4x4 with the diesel engine. It came with all the options available on the truck except the in-dash nav system and dvd player. My CCC (printed on the sticker in the door frame) is a whopping 2,434. Compare that to the advertised 4,100 and you get the picture.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:38 AM   #10110
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Wow, that was fast! It's great that you didn't have to worry about toilet color or style.

While you were actually accomplishing something, I have been tearing my house apart looking for my checkbook. The last time I wrote a check was in January, right here where I am sitting, and I haven't thought about it since. I look at my checking account every day, and no illicit checks have been passed. It's here somewhere.... Bet it fell under the sofa.
Try that hidden pocket in your purse that you accidentally put it in...or, look under that pile of mail that you haven't gotten to yet. Or, the drawer that you put it in "for now."
Old 04-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #10111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmary View Post
Try that hidden pocket in your purse that you accidentally put it in...or, look under that pile of mail that you haven't gotten to yet. Or, the drawer that you put it in "for now."
Thanks for the ideas. Still haven't found it and now I am also wondering if I looked right at it and just didn't SEE it, at some point in my search. Also last night I dreamed that it fell out in my Venza - - I usually just casually toss my purse behind the passenger seat when F. is with me, and when I grab it blindly from that spot the checkbook could fall out. So, I'll check in the car again, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Woke up, found this view from the dining room window.
Absolutely beautiful! My jasmine has bloomed as well, covering the full expanse of my 6' high fence with an abundance of fragrant white flowers. Spring is upon us!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 04-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #10112

Quote:
Thanks for the ideas. Still haven't found it and now I am also wondering if I looked right at it and just didn't SEE it, at some point in my search. Also last night I dreamed that it fell out in my Venza - - I usually just casually toss my purse behind the passenger seat when F. is with me, and when I grab it blindly from that spot the checkbook could fall out. So, I'll check in the car again, too.
Here's a sure fire, can't miss method of finding it. Report it lost to your bank, get a new account number and order new checks. Your lost checkbook will show up within 48 hours just like mine did.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #10113

Quote:
Prime example: I have a 2011 2500HD crew cab 4x4 with the diesel engine. It came with all the options available on the truck except the in-dash nav system and dvd player. My CCC (printed on the sticker in the door frame) is a whopping 2,434. Compare that to the advertised 4,100 and you get the picture.
I most certainly do. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #10114
Give me a forum ...

Last night I installed the rest of the 1"x1" (actually 15/16" x 15/16") tiles in the ladies bathroom floor at the club where I volunteer. It took some creative alignment to blend 10 older tiles in with the 20 newer ones in the existing mosaic pattern. I put one of those CAUTION Wet Floor standup thingies over it so it would not be stepped on while the adhesive cured.
Today I will go do the grouting so it can cure for 2 days and seal it Friday morning before the very busy Friday night fish fry event.
Next up is fixing a utility sink drain trap with WaterWeld. Replacing the trap itself involves disturbing rusted pipe connections , so the patch is the better answer.
I am learning how to do things I always called a contractor in for at the house.
Mr B has 3 weeks until finals, then he is a free man.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #10115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Any chance that you used the last check, and discarded the cover?

I wanna win that car!

From (at 4:07):

Hulu - Saturday Night Live: Census Taker
Old 04-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #10116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Here's a sure fire, can't miss method of finding it. Report it lost to your bank, get a new account number and order new checks. Your lost checkbook will show up within 48 hours just like mine did.
That would work, I'm sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Any chance that you used the last check, and discarded the cover?
There were 16 checks left. I will probably find it when looking for something else, 3-4 months from now.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 04-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #10117
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Yesterday: hung laundry even thoug was in the 40s, but windy sunny dry.
Today: Farmers market and grocery.
Chance of a freeze/frost tonight after 80s a few weeks ago. Hope the hosta and lily of the valley survive.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #10118
Give me a forum ...

Now I've got a missing-item mystery. I've had a six-inch, good-quality steel rule for years. I used it last night at the workbench, and today it's not there. I figured it must have fallen into the trash can, so I transferred ever item from that can to another, which was particularly messy, because this morning I had discarded a paint can with about 2 TBS of paint, poured into the can so that it would dry. Not there.

I thoroughly cleaned the shelf under the workbench, and the area below it, so I know it didn't fall there.

I haven't measured anything else since last night (Don't say it!).

I'm determined to find it.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #10119

You mean a six FOOT rule don't you?

I'm not sure what use a six-inch rule would be.....(I'm not going there....)

Old 04-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #10120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Now I've got a missing-item mystery. I've had a six-inch, good-quality steel rule for years. I used it last night at the workbench, and today it's not there...........
I usually find stuff in the drawers on my bench. No idea how it gets off the bench into the drawer.
Closed Thread