Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #10121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
You mean a six FOOT rule don't you?

I'm not sure what use a six-inch rule would be.....(I'm not going there....)
Oh, forget what I said. I thought you meant a retractable measuring tape as opposed to a rule. That's what I get for not having my brain in gear.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #10122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Now I've got a missing-item mystery. I've had a six-inch, good-quality steel rule for years. I used it last night at the workbench, and today it's not there. I figured it must have fallen into the trash can, so I transferred ever item from that can to another, which was particularly messy, because this morning I had discarded a paint can with about 2 TBS of paint, poured into the can so that it would dry. Not there.

I thoroughly cleaned the shelf under the workbench, and the area below it, so I know it didn't fall there.

I haven't measured anything else since last night (Don't say it!).

I'm determined to find it.
Hey Al, I found it, was in my Kennedy toolbox. Can't explain the method by which it arrived on the est coast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0466.jpg (620.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 04-12-2012, 11:24 PM   #10123
Moderator Emeritus

Last fall we added two inches of foam insulation to our south roof along with rebuilding our familyroom. We also added tinted low-e double-pane windows on the east walls. Now that the Hawaii winter rains have eased off a little and spring is in the air, we're getting some good solar data.

The house has been so cold since the renovation that we haven't been using our ceiling fans-- not in any of our rooms. We didn't even open our stairwell window until last week. I haven't been able to slap a Kill-A-Watt meter on a ceiling fan so I haven't collected any hard data, but in previous summers we used to run those fans for 16-24 hours. I think those days are over.

Today we got our electric bill. Between 8 March and 5 April, HECO's meter logged 144 KWHrs of photovoltaic production and only 142 KWHrs of electrical use. In other words we generated more power than we used. What's unusual is that we did it March instead of July. March was still a pretty windy & rainy month, and as the sun starts shining we're really going to ramp up the production. Our average generation is about 250 KWHr/month and by July/August we'll be pushing 300.

So it looks like our new no-ceiling-fan "baseline" use is about 150 KWHr/month, and about 25 KWHr of that is the aquarium air pump.

The array has already paid for itself, so this is free power. I was going to start pricing whole-house energy monitors but that's no longer worth the trouble. I was wondering if we should upgrade our array, but I think that can wait until we buy an EV. Even then I might just add a kilowatt of panels with microinverters on a separate breaker instead of upgrading our whole array. We already have the rack space.

HECO credits us on a rolling 12-month carry, but even after this coming winter we could still be donating power to them. (You're welcome, ClifP.) However our daughter still spends a couple weeks here in between college semesters, and she's good for at least 150 KWHrs herself during each of those times.

HECO still charges us $8/month to stay connected to the grid, and they still add nuisance fees & surcharges on that. When we generate more than we use, we go to "minimum bill" of $13.70. If this keeps up, our total electric expenses for a year would be $165.

We still have a water/sewer bill that's over $100/month, and that's projected to rise another 25% over the next few years.

In other words we'll be paying far more to flush the toilets than we will be to light the bathrooms. I guess I'll have to work on that part next... maybe a solar-powered composting toilet?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:03 AM   #10124

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Hey Al, I found it, was in my Kennedy toolbox. Can't explain the method by which it arrived on the est coast.
Quantum entanglement.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:18 AM   #10125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
The array has already paid for itself, so this is free power. ...
I'm guessing that is not really true.

Perhaps the array has repaid your out-of-pocket cost, but I doubt that it has actually paid for itself, which would include the amounts that other people paid to provide the various subsidies. It's not 'free power' yet, it's power that other people paid for. I don't understand why some of us should be paying other people's power bills.

Let us know when it has repaid its full cost, that will be interesting to me, and a sign that solar has 'arrived'.

-ERD50
Old 04-13-2012, 08:40 AM   #10126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I usually find stuff in the drawers on my bench. No idea how it gets off the bench into the drawer.
I went looking for my floor creeper 2 days ago and it is nowhere to be found. Please look in the drawer.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #10127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Now I've got a missing-item mystery. I've had a six-inch, good-quality steel rule for years. I used it last night at the workbench, and today it's not there. I figured it must have fallen into the trash can, so I transferred ever item from that can to another, which was particularly messy, because this morning I had discarded a paint can with about 2 TBS of paint, poured into the can so that it would dry. Not there.

I thoroughly cleaned the shelf under the workbench, and the area below it, so I know it didn't fall there.
I'm determined to find it.
I found it. I gave myself one more session of looking, then I was going to buy a replacement on Amazon. I carefully scratched through a pile of sawdust and pine needles on the floor, and there it was. So, it had gotten swept off the workbench when cleaning, but didn't clang loudly enough to be noticed when it hit the floor.

And guess what: W2R's checkbook was there too!
Old 04-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #10128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I found it. I gave myself one more session of looking, then I was going to buy a replacement on Amazon. I carefully scratched through a pile of sawdust and pine needles on the floor, and there it was. So, it had gotten swept off the workbench when cleaning, but didn't clang loudly enough to be noticed when it hit the floor.

Any sign of my floor creeper ?

I'm going to do one last look around the garage and back shed to see if I tucked it behind something so I wouldn't trip over it, and then I will order one of these beauties.

Heavy Duty Creeper with Adjustable Headrest
Old 04-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #10129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Any sign of my floor creeper ?
It must be pretty hard to lose something as big as that -- you must be a pro.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #10130
Administrator

Quote:

Did you see a sign of my innocence? I lost that a while ago and haven't seen hide nor hair ever since...
Old 04-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #10131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's driving me nutz trying to figure out where it went. I usually store it behind some metal cabinets in my attached garage, but it is not there.
Argh!
Old 04-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #10132
Recycles dryer sheets

Work.

It is a glorious Spring day with very low humidity in Washington DC. Flowers everywhere. Unfortunately, I am in my office working. Will take dogs out to enjoy this great weather tomorrow.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #10133
Give me a forum ...

I was logging off for the day, and saw this item at Yahoo. I just had to share this fabulous video about George, the World's Tallest Dog .
Woof woof!

Giant George: Great Dane Is World's Tallest Dog - Yahoo!
Old 04-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #10134

Mailed a birthday card to my eldest brother who turns 67 on Monday.

The front of the card says, "Don't worry, turning 30 is no big deal"

I hope he takes it well.........

Old 04-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #10135
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

We still have a water/sewer bill that's over $100/month, and that's projected to rise another 25% over the next few years.

In other words we'll be paying far more to flush the toilets than we will be to light the bathrooms. I guess I'll have to work on that part next... maybe a solar-powered composting toilet?
Radically Sustainable Green Buildings - Interior Earthship Images
Project BIOHOME | Alternative Off Grid Housing for a Globally Conscious Community

Have some interesting ideas.

Mustn't leave out: http://humanurehandbook.com/store/TH...-HANDBOOK.html
Old 04-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #10136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl

I was about to ask! Oh, thank goodness... because it still hasn't shown up here.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 04-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #10137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
DW once took off a 6' baseboard radiator front when painting room. Believe it or not, it was never seen again.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #10138
Give me a forum ...

Joined the local country club (50% introductory membership for the season) and played 18 with BIL and a couple friends. Walked the front and rode the back. Beautiful spring day. Played pretty well for my first outing of the year, but there is plenty of time for the wheels to come off.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:20 PM   #10139
Give me a forum ...

Today was a very nice day, until.....

DH called me a few minutes ago (after a gig) and said a guy rear ended him in the parking lot. DH is not hurt....he tried to get the guys DL # and insurance card. Well...you guessed it...he had no DL or proof of insurance...and said it wasn't his truck.

DH wrote the license plate number down and called the police. The guy took off...

Son of a biscuit eater.

Just shoot me now.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #10140
Give me a forum ...

Did the car come up as stolen?