Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #10221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I woke up to the sound of Mr B groaning over another math-based assignment, due tonight. I set him up with some fresh coffee and helped him proofread 7 equations he had typed into a simultaneous equation solving software program at the college's online site. After much head scratching, we found the syntax error together.
I made my monthly cameo apparance at the weekly Chinese buffet with former co-w*rkers. I was involuntarily filled in on the latest and worst things happening there. I felt really bad for 1 techie guy who applied to take an early-out, but was flatly refused by management. How sad that a person's life is controlled...he has the savings, he has the years of service and age eligibility...
I came home, fed Mr B a midday meal of homemade sausage and peppers, and sent him off to classes.
I'm passing the time on a cloudy and intermittently rainy afternoon by listening to 1970s music on cable. I plan to meet Mr B for a cold one after he gets out of class later on.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #10222
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Completed my Lean Sigma Green Belt certification today. Huge sigh of relief since the training has to be done on top of the day job.

When I started down this path a couple of years ago I had planned to get my black belt. At the time I had no idea we could retire early. Now that we're planning to hit the exit door in about four years I have zero interest in learning more work related stuff.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #10223

Ordered a picture book from one of the recent visits with DW's grandnieces. I did that more to see how it comes out rather than the terrific pictures.

But it's neat that such a thing is possible so cheaply - including shipping, $22 for 34 pages from one that is regarded as one of the higher quality photo printers. It's the kind of thing that elicits a yawn now, but in 30 years it'll be "Wow, look at this!"
Old 04-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #10224
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I tried to play "auto matchmaker" to pair up a needy college student with a used car literally driven to & from church on Sundays by a little old lady. I failed miserably after discovering said little old lady didn't have clear title to her car - ended up wasting everyone's time and disappointing all involved.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 04-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #10225
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
..........I felt really bad for 1 techie guy who applied to take an early-out, but was flatly refused by management. How sad that a person's life is controlled...he has the savings, he has the years of service and age eligibility............
Bummer. I had a guy working for me that was really excellent but was passed over for an early out offer in favor of goof offs. Sadly he died still working at age 64. I can see the logic, but it didn't seem right.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #10226
Dryer sheet wannabe

I went for my daily run.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #10227
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34
Ordered a picture book from one of the recent visits with DW's grandnieces. I did that more to see how it comes out rather than the terrific pictures.

But it's neat that such a thing is possible so cheaply - including shipping, $22 for 34 pages from one that is regarded as one of the higher quality photo printers. It's the kind of thing that elicits a yawn now, but in 30 years it'll be "Wow, look at this!"
Which company?
Old 04-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #10228
Give me a forum ...

Watered my seedling farm.
Listened to music.
Waiting for Mr B to bring a pizza home.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #10229
Give me a forum ...

I'm looking at a nice little 2000 Toyota MR2 (yellow) that I saw for sale on craigslist.

At the breakfast table this morning, I made the huge mistake of showing DW a picture that the seller had emailed to me.

Next thing I know we are looking at dining tables and chairs.

Looks like my summer toy is going to cost about 150% of what I pay for the car.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #10230

Saw an ad on craigslist for a cap that fits my pickup truck.

In the same town where I live. All metal, with sprayed on insulation inside. Good sliding side and rear smoked glass, needing some paint, and some rivets. $20.- Twenty bucks, wow, now that is a deal. Drove right over, with help of the seller put it on the truck, clamped in place with C clamps. Got it home, drilled out 6 broken rivets, replaced with stainless steel screws, good to go. 20 minutes of labor. Paint, eh who cares, the truck is beater.

Made my day. Easy to please eh?
Old 04-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #10231
Give me a forum ...

To compensate for the pizza I had last night ...
I started my day with 4 rousing games of right handed (I'm a natural lefty) ping pong, 2 matches of gladiator combat, and tried the disc golf game in Sports Champions. The disc golf game is not aerobic, but more of a visual accuracy and 1 armed aiming game. I did pretty well.

It is yet another lousy cold day, so I think I will look for another indoor project to accomplish. Maybe set up my new sewing machine and start taking in seams on dresses and pants that are too big on me.

Mr B is w*rking on a take home exam in accounting, so I need to keep the house quiet while he concentrates. Ssssshhhhhh
Old 04-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #10232

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Which company?
Beautiful photo books and book printing. Make your own book

Lightroom 4 comes with a plugin for it, and I read a lot of reviews first.

There are also plugins for others available on their web sites, such as CVS pharmacy, Wal-Mart, and just about anyone offering online photo books or prints.

For the non-photo types here, a "plugin" is a program that "plugs into" Photoshop or Lightroom to perform a specific task. Sort of like a macro works, or a separate stand-alone program that starts when initiated by Photoshop or Lightroom, depending on the complexity.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #10233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34

Beautiful photo books and book printing. Make your own book

Lightroom 4 comes with a plugin for it, and I read a lot of reviews first.

There are also plugins for others available on their web sites, such as CVS pharmacy, Wal-Mart, and just about anyone offering online photo books or prints.

For the non-photo types here, a "plugin" is a program that "plugs into" Photoshop or Lightroom to perform a specific task. Sort of like a macro works, or a separate stand-alone program that starts when initiated by Photoshop or Lightroom, depending on the complexity.
Walt, I've just started with Blurb. It is incredible, but overwhelming for someone whose photo book experience is limited to Shutterfly and Snapfish.
I'm working on a book for the mototaxi trip with stories and photographs. And I want it to be perfect. This is why I'm still on the first page! Sigh...

Old 04-28-2012, 07:53 AM   #10234

For a trip like that if you have lots of photos that are important it might be worthwhile to invest in Lightroom 4. The downside is there is a significant learning curve to learn it and in addition to the software you'll almost have to buy a couple of books to use it effectively.

But the results are beautiful.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #10235

Great day so far. Did the weekly grocery shipping at 7 when DW got home from the night shift. Then I brought some stuff over to the HOA for their garage sale and got my boat sticker. Came home and couldn't get in the house. Trees were down due to a storm, and power was out. So I couldn't get in through the garage door and my house keys were in the house. DW was now asleep in the house and I didn't want to wake her. So I went for a ride and got gear lube for the boat. Came home and still no electricity. Listened to the Bulls game and did a lot of surfing on my phone while sitting in my truck in the driveway. Luckily I left DW a text to let me in the house before the phone battery died. Took several trips down the street to check status on the tree removal/electrical repair. DW finally called me from the house and let me in after sleeping 7 hrs. Now I'm inside surfing on the iPad, reading a book, and listening to my bar fridge defrost. DW has to take a sponge bath before work because we only have enough well tank pressure for minimal water use. It will probably be several hours before the electricity comes back on. But I have steak and beer to get through this. I don't know how people survived before electricity.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #10236
Give me a forum ...

Good LBYM day yesterday. I got these Nike running shoes for $1 at a rummage sale -- I don't think they've ever been worn.

RunningShoes.jpg

Yes, I buy shoes at rummage sales, deal with it. I use Lysol -- just like at the bowling alley. My old running shoes look like they belong to a homeless person.

I also got a never-used CFL for 25 cents and hanging file folders for the rolltop desk for 75 cents. Then I changed the oil in both vehicles.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #10237
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, I buy shoes at rummage sales, deal with it.
I can deal with you buying used shoes - used underwear, not so much...

Quote:
I also got a never-used CFL for 25 cents and hanging file folders for the rolltop desk for 75 cents. Then I changed the oil in both vehicles.
I get using the CFL bulb in your worklight to see under your vehicles, but I'm not sure how you used the file folders in changing your oil...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 04-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #10238

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I can deal with you buying used shoes - used underwear, not so much...

I get using the CFL bulb in your worklight to see under your vehicles, but I'm not sure how you used the file folders in changing your oil...
I think I've got it.. Filed the used oil under "things to recycle."
Old 04-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #10239
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
I think I've got it.. Filed the used oil under "things to recycle."
Actually my Dad recycled used motor oil by using it in his two-cycle toys (outboards, snowmobile, etc.). While I wouldn't recommend it to others, he actually didn't have any significant problems with his two-cycles.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #10240
Administrator

Quote:
Yes, I buy shoes at rummage sales, deal with it. I use Lysol -- just like at the bowling alley. My old running shoes look like they belong to a homeless person.
Logically there is nothing wrong with it, and $1 is a great price. Besides, shoes in shoe stores have been tried on by many strangers as well and may have seen more hours on strangers' feet than the shoes you bought.

But ewwww. I guess it reminds me of poorer days, in a way that I'd rather not remember. Also, I get horrendous foot problems if I wear just any random shoe rather than being extremely picky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
You found a great rummage sale!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Closed Thread