what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
DW and I are putting up board and batten siding on the guesthouse, have 3 sides completed. We have one gabled end left to do and rain today so may have to find another project.

We finished the siding on the guesthouse, only have the trim and soffits left to do on th gabled end. Here's a picture of the house and the jack posts and walk boards that we borrowed from a local builder.

img_1374080_0_8effcdef99fdb71d8059ff6b2dadc17a.jpg

We have one of those Timex self-setting clocks. Big red numbers so we can see the time in the morning with sleepy eyes and without glasses. This morning I woke up, it said 5:00 AM. bit early, so I tried, but couldn't go back to sleep. Got up, went to make coffee, and was totally baffled by the clock in the kitchen. Took a while to realize why the little hand wasn't on the 5 .. because it ws after 6. Our self-setting clock jumped the gun this weekend and reset two days early.

moved the RV from Carrabelle Fl to Jacksonville Fl... life is grand...

DW and I made a gigunda pot of chili to take to DW's grandniece's 8th birthday party tomorrow. Lots of people, tiny house, will be fun.

Got up and took a cab to the French Quarter. Took the green car to Voodoo Experience. A few more acts to go, and then Nine Inch Nails. Nice quiet family vacation...

Raked and bagged leaves. My back and hamstrings are sore.

Reset the clocks. Except the one that is automatic time- setting. That reset the day before yesterday.

It's delicious as an appetizer. Spread about 4 ounces of pepper jelly over a brick of cream cheese and serve with triscuits or wheat thins....yum!

Or you can do like a strange friend of ours does and make a peanut butter and pepper jelly sandwich. Sounds awful, tastes wonderful!
A belated thank you, but I'm the type who remembers whose advice I followed. I did make chili jelly last Xmas, served it over wheat thins spread with cream cheese. The platter was premade, ready as a fingerfood appetizer. It was a great hit.

I did the jelly with the following twist. First, I boiled the dried red chili flakes and seeds to get all the "hotness" into the juice. Then, I picked out all the seeds, and only left the red flakes. It's for the appearance, but I just did not care to see the seeds in the final product.

Then, when I mixed in pectin, sugar, and vinegar to make the jelly, I also put in julienned bell peppers. The peppers were roasted, and skinned of course.

I made two batches. One with red bell peppers for hot, one with yellow bell peppers for mild. I alerted my guests about the significance of the pepper colors, so as not to ambush people with a delicate tongue.

Last edited:
I had an old Roomba Pro from sometime in the early 2000s that had been sitting in a corner for many years since the battery would not keep a charge and the tread broke. I got ambitious last week and ordered a tread repair kit ($9) and a new battery ($25) and fixed the tread, cleaned it up and put it to work today and it is working great.

Our current home is almost all solid floors (just one 5x8 area rug in the living area) so it works better here than in our old house which had a lot of wall to wall carpeting.

I actually forgot how fun it is to watch it work.

Drove home from an RV rally in apple picking country, cleaned up and attended a Shakespeare play at 'our' university with our Lifelong Learning Shakespeare class followed by a one hour Q&A with the director and actors. Everyone went over to the campus dining hall for dinner afterward where the conversation was fast and fun, and the food surprisingly good.

Great day!

Last edited:
Just the usual today, getting together with F. We'll head to the gym and then a restaurant for lunch.

I just found out that I don't have to pay one single cent for the CAT-scan of my brain after my fall! :clap: What a relief, since I only started Medicare this year and really did not know what to expect. Medicare paid $117.81, BCBS paid $105.33, and my share is $0.00. I'd say the loser in these negotiations was the imaging center, and the winner was me.

Got the stitches out from surgery on my face last week. (Too much sun, no sunblock as a kid. 50 years later...) It currently feels like I got my face tightened on one side. (That's MISTER Sardonicus to you...)

We went to Fenton's Ice Creamery to celebrate. Ice cream makes everything better. :D

I spent the day preparing our home for the change in seasons. I realized some hefty gains on a couple of healthcare stocks. I made some delicious steaks and green beans for dinner, washed down with a glass of red wine. Then we had a piece of mochaccino chocolate for dessert. Life is good.

Taught my first class at our Lifelong Learning program - Social Media 101. I was nervous, but my old marketing persona kicked in and it went great. Spent the afternoon beefing up on Pinterest, the next class I teach, trimmed a few bushes in the front yard, and now I'm off to do speed training with my running club.

Changed the oil on the pickup truck and the motorcycle yesterday, today will do the larger lawn mower.

I paid off the mortgage on my first investment property. One down, two to go! This will significantly improve my cash flow. Mortgage burning party this weekend!

Had some keratosis "frozen off" at the dermatologist's today. He didn't seem the slightest bit concerned about it so I guess that's good. I had a touch of squamous cell carcinoma ~25 years ago (nothing further since) so now I sprint to the doc's if I see anything even slightly like it.

DH is putting up the outside Christmas lights and then the whole family is going to get flu shots (although the kids will opt for the nasal spray instead).

Mowed the grass for hopefully the last time this year, drained the fuel on everything and changed the oil on the 4-stroke items.

Moved the snow thrower to the front of the shed. With luck we won't use it.

The young wife and I took the train to NYC. We went to the Frick Collection to see a special exhibit of paintings from the Mauritshuis Museum in the Hague, including Vermeer's Girl With the Pearl Earring. After the museum, we walked across 5th Ave to the Central Park Zoo, where we saw their new twin Snow Leopard cubs. Ate a late lunch at the Rockefeller Center Café, where we watched the ice-skaters and the crew working to set up the Christmas tree. Bought some food for dinner at the Grand Central Market and rode the train home.

Nice pics of the cubs are here:

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/snow-leopard-cubs-make-zoo-debut-slideshow/

Last edited:
Went to the mall for a classic car show, inside. The local car club does it to raise money via raffles for local charities. Probably not much if anything in it for the mall, except exposure and foot traffic. You just don't see that in the big city malls.

Attachments

• mall_car_show-1.jpg
    mall_car_show-1.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 5
  • mall_car_show-3.jpg
    mall_car_show-3.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 4
  • mall_car_show-5.jpg
    mall_car_show-5.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 4
Spent the day winterizing my camp. Shut down the feed from the spring, drained the tanks, water lines. Added RV antifreexe to traps and water pump. Filled a couple of 55 gal plastic drums with water.

Put away stuff that could be blown aroubd by strong winds. Topped off the woodshed with firewood. Winter visits are more like dry camping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom