Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #10341
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Too much traffic, too many self-important people.
It's contagious, too. Friends of ours near there are starting to buy into the "power circles" and the urge to keep working to prove that you're still relevant. They weren't that way when they were living at other places.

Meanwhile I'm contemplating giving my last blazer and necktie to Goodwill... If I didn't need them for last month's wedding then I don't think that I'll ever need them.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #10342
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
It's contagious, too. Friends of ours near there are starting to buy into the "power circles" and the urge to keep working to prove that you're still relevant. They weren't that way when they were living at other places.

Meanwhile I'm contemplating giving my last blazer and necktie to Goodwill... If I didn't need them for last month's wedding then I don't think that I'll ever need them.
Ah, but it is possible that some day you may be the one giving away the bride - - you are going to want to look pretty awesome for that.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #10343
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I slept in while Mr B went to cook at the local Legion for Mother's Day breakfast.
I am on day 2 of a bad cold bug that has been going around. I am drinking mug #10 of hot herbal tea with honey. The cough syrup is useless, so I pulled out the blackberry brandy. I take tiny little sips as my throat feels irritated and the coughing starts up. Magical stuff!

Mr B told me that 160 adults and an uncounted number of children showed up for the breakfast. But not all at once. The breakfast profits go to the Little League team that the Legion is sponsoring. The baseball team and 6 parents were there to help.

I defrosted 2 hamburgers for dinner. I ground my own hamburger from some chuck steak that was in the freezer. If I miraculously develop any appetite, I'll have one with Swiss cheese and mushrooms. Otherwise, maybe some chicken and rice soup will be appealing.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #10344
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Ah, but it is possible that some day you may be the one giving away the bride - - you are going to want to look pretty awesome for that.
Good point. I can always buy one from Goodwill.

I tried it on and I must modestly admit that even the sleeves are too small, let alone the shoulders & chest. It's older than that daughter, too.

She's going on her submarine training next month, so I offered her a few pair of my old coveralls from the 1980s & 1990s. (They make great painting clothes and Hallowe'en costumes but they haven't been very useful for anything else.) I was gently & politely asked to consider donating them to a museum instead...

As for the bride part: she was pretty disgusted with the dating pool in high school. She hasn't been very impressed with the gene pool in college, either, although a couple candidates are hovering on the periphery. If she joins the submarine force, it'll be interesting to see what happens when she's spending 60 hours/week with ~100 other ensigns at the Navy's Nuclear Power School. I'm not sure that applying the same set of filters to an ever-smaller pool of candidates is likely to produce her desired result!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #10345
Give me a forum ...

We just returned from attending my SO's youngest sons law school graduation .It was very nice and I snapped a great picture of him with his four sons that I plan on having framed for Father's Day .
Old 05-14-2012, 06:15 AM   #10346

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I had such fun at a work retreat/meeting at the facility at Sherpherdstown, in January 2001. I hadn't seen snow for years! I was late to dinner the first night because I got sidetracked strolling through the woods from my room to the lodge - - I was throwing snowballs at a light pole. Try to explain THAT to the big wigs from D.C.
That's the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Training Center, a beautiful place. It's easy to see how someone from elsewhere would get sidetracked.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:40 AM   #10347
Give me a forum ...

Oh what a difference 48 hours of self imposed "house arrest" with rest and fluids makes. I feel less achy and have the sinus congestion non-stop running faucet in my head somewhat under control with Claritin-D.

I need to get out and get some more Kleenex and move around. Mr B offered to run for the Kleenex but I decided I badly need get out of the house today.

I hate being sick, however...at least I don't have to drag myself to w*rk feeling like this.
Always a silver lining to every cloud.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #10348
Moderator Emeritus

More yardwork, this time at the rental house. The raphis roots have sneaked along the foundation to send their shoots up behind the siding and into the wall cavities between the joists. I'm talking three-feet stalks that are literally pushing the siding off the wall.

I excavated about half of the foundation out to 12" and down six inches with a mattock, but I'll save the rest for our next trip. Otherwise the place is looking good and it's almost time for another 800-mg Ibuprofen lunch.

Taekwondo tonight. I think I finally know enough of the fifth-dan form (Ship-jin) to be able to keep up with the young whippersnappers on the poomsae team. One of the instructors, who's in his 30s, opined that at my age I should learn the forms all the way up to ninth dan. I think I have three decades left to devote to that goal...

Old 05-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #10349
Dryer sheet aficionado

Everyone at the office today was tired and yawning everywhere. The w*rk day could not end fast enough. I was in a zombie state myself and would look out the window every so often and think to myself: "tmob there are about 100 different things I would rather be doing other than w*rk"

(sigh) my motivation to ER is there but the money is not .
Old 05-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #10350
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I did that years ago. Now my son is getting married in Jul so DW made me purchased a new suit with all the trimmings. First she drug me to the Men's Warehouse where I immediately went into sticker shock followed by a near case of cardiac arrest. What a way to ruin LBYM lifestyle. I finally negotiated with DW and bought on sale at JCPenneys. At least my son doesn't have to go through this turmoil. He will wear his Mess Dress.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:28 AM   #10351
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
At least my son doesn't have to go through this turmoil. He will wear his Mess Dress.
I gave mine away in 2002!

I'll file away Goodwill & J.C. Penney's for future suit shopping. But I'm still holding out for the beach at low tide with rash guards, shorts, slippers, and longboards. It all depends on finding the right groom... and if that sort of venue doesn't appeal to him, then I suspect my surfer-grrrl daughter could conclude that he's not the right groom either.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:43 AM   #10352

For at least the last several years a robin has built a nest under our small deck. We only notice because every time one of us walks down the stairs nearby the robin flies out and scolds the intruder from a nearby tree.

So I put the camera on a tripod with the interval timer set to take a photo every 30 seconds for an hour and sometimes end up with an okay shot. This year I have the luxury of two Nikon SB-900 flashes, one operated remotely from a nearby post.

Lighting options are limited because it is underneath a deck. Please excuse the dust, the clothes dryer vent is about four feet away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Robin_nest-25May_15,_2012.jpg (280.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Robin_nest-35May_15,_2012.jpg (247.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Robin_nest-48May_15,_2012.jpg (254.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Robin_nest-12May_15,_2012.jpg (255.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 05-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #10353
Give me a forum ...

We're stuck behind an apparently dysfunctional cable modem. The only thing that works is the iPod touch forum app, and slowly. The cable guy is coming today.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #10354
Give me a forum ...

Returned home last night from a delightful week in Nova Scotia.
Some of my ancestors stopped off there for a couple of generations between Ireland and the USA, and I've always wanted to visit the area where they lived, just to see it.

Great place. And I confirmed the proposition that no, there is in fact no way you can eat too much lobster!
Old 05-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #10355

Quote:
For at least the last several years a robin has built a nest under our small deck. We only notice because every time one of us walks down the stairs nearby the robin flies out and scolds the intruder from a nearby tree.

So I put the camera on a tripod with the interval timer set to take a photo every 30 seconds for an hour and sometimes end up with an okay shot. This year I have the luxury of two Nikon SB-900 flashes, one operated remotely from a nearby post.

Lighting options are limited because it is underneath a deck. Please excuse the dust, the clothes dryer vent is about four feet away.
Very cool!
Old 05-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #10356

We're getting our house in Florida ready to sell. Realtor came by to take pictures, already have first showing scheduled for tomorrow...
Old 05-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #10357
Administrator

On the way from our gym to lunch, F.'s Murano began gagging and about half a dozen warning lights went off. All this just 100 feet before lunch, and after doing a rugged workout I wanted to eat! But instead he turned around, swung by my house so I could follow him in my Venza, and then off to drop it off at the Nissan repair place.
Then back to the other side of the Parish (=county) again to have lunch. Lunch took forever and I was about ready to eat the table linens when it finally arrived. It was free, being the fifth on our lunch card for that restaurant.
Then back to his place. Traffic was awful, and the sky is black as night with an impending thunderstorm.

Somehow, days like this are a lot less stressful in ER. They still happen, though. Now to rest and unwind...

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #10358
Give me a forum ...

We've been without Internet for two days.

Before that we went on a nice bike ride:

LenaRidesBySignSmaller.jpg
Old 05-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #10359
Moderator Emeritus

Fun flashback to the days of work... No, really!

Back when dinosaurs roamed the Internet, I had worked at a couple of neat startup companies post Navy. One initially made hardware, then moved to computer based animation that would eventually get them bought by another company, at which point I jumped to the second startup (some 25 years ago) making really cool cubical black computers and operating system software that would eventually get them bought by another company.

Anywho, a fellow still working at the first company had the idea of doing a benefit for a local museum specializing in cartoons. The benefit will happen while there's a conference in town for folks developing software for the company that bought the black cubical computer firm. So... As a draw for these folks, he's theming the benefit around the black hardware from 20 years ago.

Naturally he needed some of this cool black hardware. I, being a pack rat, had some of this hardware. All that needed to be done was to lean and repair a bit and come up with some running machines, with a specific suite of software installed and running. Holy spiderwebs, Batman! Hilarity ensued... Several days worth... Bad media, blown capacitors, the odd bit of corrosion. The usual...

I delivered the resurrected equipment today, actual running prototype hardware from 20 years ago, made right here in the USA. Delivery was at the animation company, and he was kind enough to show me around. Damn! They've come a long way from beige tilt ups behind a strip mall. The hallways look like a very nice museum exhibit, documenting their newest release. Pretty amazing. If I had to work somewhere, I'd like it to be that place.

Now I just have to clean up the leftover bits. Maņana...
Old 05-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #10360

Quote:
Those are great photos!