Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #10441
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
You wouldn't believe it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #10442
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
My dentist recommended fixing a cracked something or other 13 years ago, but I said I'd wait. I've had no problems.
My teeth and I have a deal - they don't bother me and I don't bother them (but I do have routine checkups and cleanings). Has worked well so far.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #10443
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
You wouldn't believe it.
Try me! Did you give even more blood? That's my best guess.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #10444
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You wouldn't believe it.
You either bought a dryer or got your hair cut....
Old 05-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #10445
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
A little while ago, I think I swallowed a bug.
You would think you'd notice something like that.

The best remedy for that situation is to sterilize your digestive system with sanitizing ethanol. At least until you don't feel anything trying to crawl back up your esophagus...

Quote:
You wouldn't believe it.
No photos, please!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:58 PM   #10446
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
+1

I have been a recipient of a very international dental care ( dentist in Himalayas anyone? plus US, UK, France & Poland) and the standards and procedures vary.
For example in UK & Poland (at least a while ago), root canal would not be done in one sitting, they would kill the nerve over few weeks period and than remove it. Also, the root canal tooth would not always get a crown (almost 100% in US).
US dentists for 15 years now were pointing that I need to have one of my root canals re-done, to which I tell them that it lasted 25 years so far and if it starts to bother me I'll have it extracted (it's one of the molars)

Do these teeth bother you?
Did the dentist detected infection inside the tooth?

sailor,
who is definitely not a dentist
No, none of my teeth bother me at all. When my DH stopped working, we went did not elect to keep the dental insurance. I decided to switch to our dental school because of cheaper rates, supposedly. They also told me that I have periodontitis and need to have 2 lower teeth extracted and a permanent bridge. Again, I go to the dentist every 6 months and no other dentist has ever suggested that I need to have a deep cleaning done, which is another thing they are wanting to do.

As far as a second opinion, how do you know who to believe? It does make you wonder how so much could be so wrong. I do know that I do not want to ever have to wear false teeth. I remember relatives having them and I want no part of that.

DH went to the dental school and he said that his amount would be around $30,000. He told them that he did not think that he had $30,000 worth of life left in him and they had better come up with a new plan. They have already started doing his deep cleanings, but we don't know what the new plan will be. I asked him what they wanted to do to him for $30000 and he said they mentioned implants, but he really did not know what all they were planning. None of his teeth bother him either and he also goes to the dentist every 6 months.

I really don't know what to do.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:10 AM   #10447

Boarding a red eye from Vegas to Texas. Headed for a family reunion in the hill country.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:01 AM   #10448
Give me a forum ...

A thread on boomers moving to walkable urban neighborhoods prompted me to post yesterday's activity. Last night DW and I went to a good play at a black box theater in an adjoining neighborhood about a mile and a half from where we live. That area used to be downright scary but is now a trendy, young restaurant, bar, and theater scene if still a bit edgy. We grabbed bike shares a block from our house and dropped them off at a bike station a block from the theater. Great show, fun evening.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #10449
Administrator

This morning I awakened to sensationally beautiful morning birdsongs from my new alarm set-up, which will play them for me instead of the usual BLATTTTT!!! of an alarm clock.

At last, awakening at a pre-arranged time but in a joyful, peaceful, gradual way and without having to scrape myself off the ceiling, so to speak. I'm lucky my previous alarm didn't give me a cardiac arrest or something.

How delightful to lie there for about 5 minutes, enjoying it while gradually awakening, before turning it off and getting up. I was able to pre-set the volume to exactly what I wanted. What a great luxury for a light sleeper like me. I should have thought of this years ago. Come to think of it, perhaps a loud and strident alarm was necessary while working, in order to drag me out of bed for work. Joyful birdsongs are wonderful for me now, though.

Funny how little things like this can make such a difference. Now, to figure out what to do with my old alarm clock. Surely I need another clock somewhere... hmmm.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 06-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #10450
Give me a forum ...

The past few weeks have been torture.

Today I've been able to exhale.

A little over a month ago, DH had his PSA test. The result was not good as it had nearly doubled (4.3) since his last test in October of last year (2.3). He was immediately put on antibiotics for three weeks, then a week later (May 24th) had his PSA tested again. The increase would have been caused by either inflammation/infection or he still had cancer/cancer had spread. We were afraid the radiation therapy had failed.

Today I finally got the test result....2.2.

It feels so damn good to exhale.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #10451

Congrats on your good news bbbamI. I would imagine that having had that diagnosis every time your DH feels "off" your mind runs wild. Remember to keep breathing and enjoy the time you have left.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #10452

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
The past few weeks have been torture.

Today I've been able to exhale.

A little over a month ago, DH had his PSA test. The result was not good as it had nearly doubled (4.3) since his last test in October of last year (2.3). He was immediately put on antibiotics for three weeks, then a week later (May 24th) had his PSA tested again. The increase would have been caused by either inflammation/infection or he still had cancer/cancer had spread. We were afraid the radiation therapy had failed.

What a huge relief. I am so happy for you both! The mental torture of things like this is exhausting. Now go have a margarita (or two) together.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 06-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #10453

Sitting at the sonic in Burnet TX having a Sonic Blast. Great to be in the family's home place.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:32 AM   #10454
Moderator Emeritus

This turned out to be a busy day. Coincidentally it's my 10th anniversary of ER.

I start out each morning with 30-60 minutes of blogging, and I think I'm hitting my stride on that habit.

The stock market was going nuts, so I sold put options on Berkshire Hathaway. The strike price is below the book value at which Berkshire Hathaway starts buying shares, but I guess nobody shared that info with the people who were buying my put options. I sold few enough that if we were exercised then we'd effectively be rebalancing by buying Berkshire shares.

Next up was a workout.

Four loads of laundry, because our college daughter comes home next week for five days and I won't be able to launder anything until she's gone.

20 minutes of weeding (so that spouse can get in there with the weedwhacker).

A neighbor is finally catching up on her home maintenance. She's planning to paint the exterior, re-sod her yard, re-roof, and go solar water + photovoltaic. I also had some suggestions on insulation and solar-powered attic exhaust fans.

Pizza for lunch, followed shortly afterward by a nap.

Upgraded my desktop PC from 2GB to 4GB of RAM. (Long overdue.) Now I'm hoping to get rid of two 1GB DDR2 PC6400 RAM chips on Craiglslist, although they may be worthless.

Spent two hours troubleshooting a microwave oven. The magnetron, transformer, and capacitor seem OK. The diode rectifier seems OK too, although the reverse-bias voltage is a tad low. If it's not the door switches then I'm outta ideas. I'm going to post to the Appliance Samurai's FixItNow forum to see what I've missed.

Researched our fridge's icemaker, which has stopped making ice. It looks like there are three things that could have broken, and I'll start working on that troubleshooting tomorrow.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:01 AM   #10455
Moderator Emeritus

I spent a lot of time on the phone this morning: confirmed moving date with moving company and scheduled electricty/phone/cable/ADT shutoff.

Found a prospective tenant for the house.

Ate a sub sandwich for lunch.

Said goodbye to local friends.

Washed the sofa slipcovers by hand in the tub. Those suckers get really heavy when they are saturated with water. It was a good workout.

Helped MIL solve a computer problem.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:14 AM   #10456
Administrator

Nords, congratulation on you ten year ER anniversary!

FIREd, how terrific that you found a possible tenant.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 06-02-2012, 05:21 AM   #10457
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You wouldn't believe it.
You bought a clothes dryer with a free 1 year supply of dryer sheets AND purchased the extended 2 year warranty nonsense ?
Old 06-02-2012, 05:34 AM   #10458
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
...I have a trip to the beach at Lake Ontario planned for tomorrow, so I am doing laundry and packing up sunscreen, my bathing suit, and kites. Mr B could care less about the beach "It's just wahtah" so he will be a bachelor for 2 days.
My friends own jetskis, so maybe just maybe I may try one out close to shore.
I'm bringing them 2 cherry tomato plants as a present for having me visit.
UPDATE: I forgot the kites. The jetskis aren't dewinterized and running yet. The lake water was brisk , holding me to only wading in up to my knees.

The 2 cherry tomato plants were very much appreciated. The beefsteak tomato plant I delivered a few weeks ago is kicking butt and taking names. It has 3 tiny little blossoms on it and has become the "darling" of the camp, especially with the kids.

I busied myself on the beach while my friends had to make some phone calls to relatives planning to visit this weekend with the multi-day rain forecast from hell. I hit the weather just right on 2 consecutive weekdays.

It was a perfect sandcastle building day, however...my imagination ran elsewhere. I pictured the sailing ships of yore, braving the waves and weather of Lake Ontario to deliver goods to remote settlers. Then I imagined an old style navigation chart with all of the neat illustrations drawn around the border and in the waters.

Here is the result.

The footsteps represent the "one that got away" when the beast came ashore.

And finally, a landlubber in a wench's dress, oblivious to other nefarious sea monsters approaching behind her.

A visual clue to help you imagine the beach surface serving as the "ocean surface."

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004Comp.JPG (62.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 002Comp.JPG (63.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 001Comp.JPG (55.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg JackieBlackDressFacingComp.JPG (28.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 06-02-2012, 10:10 AM   #10459

Oh, nothing much yesterday. Played around on the computer, watched the weather for the tornado warnings, read a few pages of book and practiced with Lightroom.

Oh, early AM Dr. appt. for a checkup, it seems I still have a pulse.

Called a moving company about moving a heavy piece of furniture from upstairs to downstairs. I'm sure this has never happened to other guys but DW changed her mind.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #10460
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI

That's great news. My bass player is going through the same stuff as yours.

The better news is this: now you know first-hand that you can expect to get some spurious high readings, so next time hopefully it will be less stressful if he gets a 4 or more.