Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #10501
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Yup. Gotta plan ahead.

Interesting reading, if you can get past the whole "Singularity: Happy End Times" eschatology:
Yeah, I read Kurzweill's The Singularity is Near. Fascinating concepts but I suspect wildly optimistic about how soon. If we can't even figure out cancer or whether low carb high fat or high carb low fat is good for you the idea that we will soon conquer aging seems a non-starter - not in my lifetime, notwithstanding exponential improvements in biotech.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2012, 09:47 AM   #10502
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yea, but Firecalc, says I will be eating beans and rice in 35 years.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #10503
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper
Yea, but Firecalc, says I will be eating beans and rice in 35 years.
I figure at 174 years old, that's all I'll need!
Old 06-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #10504
Administrator

Enjoying my 64th birthday.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 06-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #10505

Congratulations!
Old 06-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #10506

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Enjoy the day. Maybe with a little
Old 06-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #10507

Quote:
Call work and tell them you're not coming in today. Nobody should have to work on their birthday.

That song is great. I remember hearing it when I was a teenager, thinking -- 64? Man, that's old. Almost dead. Now, of course, I think, 64 - just getting started, so much to look forward to ...
Old 06-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #10508
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Call work and tell them you're not coming in today. Nobody should have to work on their birthday.

That song is great. I remember hearing it when I was a teenager, thinking -- 64? Man, that's old. Almost dead. Now, of course, I think, 64 - just getting started, so much to look forward to ...
I felt exactly the same way when the song came out. I thought it was hilarious. Looking online for the year, I guess that was 1967 so I was a young thing just nineteen years old.

Not sure yet what I think of it now that I am here. Better than the alternative, that's for sure.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 06-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #10509

Quote:
Not sure yet what I think of it now that I am here.
Like a fine wine that improves with age.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #10510
Give me a forum ...

Happy Birthday W2R, and many more!
Old 06-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #10511

0830 for a temporary crown at the dentist's office, DW wants to go shopping for a (much-needed) new couch later today.

Weather is perfect for a motorcycle ride. (sigh)
Old 06-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #10512
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Happy Birthday W2R, and many more!
+1!

Still holding off on taking that SS?
Old 06-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #10513
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
+1!

Still holding off on taking that SS?
Thanks, Bestwifeever and everybody. As for SS, I am still on the fence but holding off for now... maybe I'll take it when I apply for Medicare early next year, or maybe when I'm 70. Just dunno.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 06-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #10514
Give me a forum ...

[Whispering] Right now I'm making an audio recording of Lena's bowflex session. It's funny, but there is probably no chance she'll let me post it.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #10515

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
[Whispering] Right now I'm making an audio recording of Lena's bowflex session. It's funny, but there is probably no chance she'll let me post it.
Stop it, I am getting giddy.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #10516

Today I am banished to the barn. Ms G is hosting the cutesy girl day, lunch and 3 different favored margaritas. My only required j*b today is to make a coop for her 8 new Guinea fowl keets(babies). I will park cars also, so when they leave, they go straight out the gate. Not to worry most of them don't have to drive on public roads to get home. They should get here around 11, so I get to have a party with me and the dogs. The barn is stocked with food and cold ones, Ms G said she will made me a plate if I come to the back door later. My WiFi makes out to the barn so I have Pandora and ER to keep me company. I can also listen to Sirius radio from the GMC, just have to roll it out to get a signal.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #10517
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Today I am banished to the barn. Ms G is hosting the cutesy girl day, lunch and 3 different favored margaritas. My only required j*b today is to make a coop for her 8 new Guinea fowl keets(babies). I will park cars also, so when they leave, they go straight out the gate. Not to worry most of them don't have to drive on public roads to get home. They should get here around 11, so I get to have a party with me and the dogs. The barn is stocked with food and cold ones, Ms G said she will made me a plate if I come to the back door later. My WiFi makes out to the barn so I have Pandora and ER to keep me company. I can also listen to Sirius radio from the GMC, just have to roll it out to get a signal.
Wow! What a good husband you are to do all that for your wife while she is having so much fun drinking and partying with the girls. When I was married, I couldn't even get my (now) ex to take out the trash.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 06-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #10518
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Happy Birthday W2R!

This morning I fed the kitties...we have some land that is now a kitty refuge; people had dumped their animals nearby. We caught them (22) about 2 years ago. The spay & neuter center had a special on feral cats, so we had them all fixed, and returned them to the land. They really help with the rat population.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #10519

Yesterday was tough as I sang in the choir for the memorial service of the husband of another choir member. Especially tough as he committed suicide by shooting himself in their home while she was out. As the choir sits in the front of the church, we could see just how distraught his daughter and (2nd) wife (he was a widower) were.

After a quick change of clothes I headed downtown to serve dinner to about 200 homeless folks, something I do as a volunteer once every month or two.

Today doesn't feel too productive - after my normal ~2 mile walk, I did the weekly fish/lily pond maintenance. The algae is FINALLY getting a bit better under control (I added several more bunches of anti-algae plants last week which I guess must have helped it turn the corner). I think I saw a baby goldfish but not 100% sure. Just spent about an hour cleaning up my mess of open documents and browser tabs & windows on my computer, clearing the caches, and rebooting - hadn't rebooted the poor thing in nearly a month and it was getting a little cranky.

Think I'll head outside with a book and a beer to enjoy the pond before cooking a big pot of kale, sausage, and bean soup for dinner (don't expect DS to be dining with us on Friday evening so it's a good time to use up the kale from the CSA box)
Old 06-08-2012, 09:10 PM   #10520
Administrator

Happy Birthday W2R!