Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #10521
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Happy birthday W2R!!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #10522

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Happy Birthday W2R, hope it's a good day!
Old 06-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #10523

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Think I'll head outside with a book and a beer to enjoy the pond before cooking a big pot of kale, sausage, and bean soup for dinner (don't expect DS to be dining with us on Friday evening so it's a good time to use up the kale from the CSA box)
Update - DS did show up unexpectedly for dinner and actually ate a bowl of aforementioned soup with two of his least favorite foods - green stuff and beans. He said he was hungry
Old 06-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #10524
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Enjoying my 64th birthday.
A little late to the party...

Happy belated Birthday to youuuuuuuuuuu
Old 06-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #10525
Moderator Emeritus

I've been away for a few days, but now I have some quiet time to catch up while our daughter's cramming loading up her seabag.

Here's the daily summary of the last 96 hours: surfing/taekwondo-surfing-surfing-packing. While I was napping taking care of other business she was making the usual runarounds-- shopping, local grindz, Skyping with friends, and driving a couple hundred miles around the island.

Today our regular break (White Plains Beach) was jammed for the military competition. Tomorrow we're going surfing, and then she's going to Bangor for her Navy ROTC submarine training "cruise".

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Just a spinal and conscious sedation... Ah, but does it count as ME being conscious if that branch of my memory has been pruned from the sum of my current experience? Or was that Me 1.0, different from the Me 1.1 now posting?
Having had this discussion many times in bars (and many more times after blackouts hangovers), it still counts as you. Even though every cell in your body has been killed off or replaced since your v1.0 was born...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
I guess it does look a bit like a "black dot"?
We looked at it several times through our eclipse sunglasses, and it indeed looks like a black dot. Sort of like a grain of sand moving across the sun. Let's just say that I'm a lot more impressed with these planetary events than my spouse is, but she's promised to give it one more try next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
I'll come up with something better for the next Venus transit, and will post here...
I've put it on my calendar!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #10526
Give me a forum ...

I spent all day in the house. I coughed hard the other day after swallowing "the wrong way" and felt a sharp pain in my right back rib area. I took aspirin thinking it was a simple muscle cramp. I was in pain for 1.5 days, unable to stand up from a seated or laying down position without a sharp stabbing pain in the scapular area. Simple movements of my right arm and just blowing my nose brought the pain right back.
Aspirin didn't do much for the pain. On day 3, I went to Urgent Care, very afraid of whatever it was I was hurting so badly from.
The good news is I was diagnosed with a strained large muscle in my back. I am on muscle relaxers and 800 mg Ibuprofen. I've never taken muscle relaxers before. Talk about a buzz! woooooooo
Mr B had meetings today and tonight, so I am entertaining myself by watching Finding Nemo on TV. I hate being grounded (doc said NO driving and lots of rest) like this but hopefully it will be better in a few days.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #10527
Give me a forum ...

Today we saved $18 by being compulsive. We always stuff all store receipts into a container. So, when we first used some of the two Costco mega containers of dish soap we'd bought years ago, and found that the scent was too strong, I dug out the receipts (from 2009) and returned the product.

The receipt search was quick because Costco receipts are blue.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:56 PM   #10528

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Today we saved $18 by being compulsive. We always stuff all store receipts into a container. So, when we first used some of the two Costco mega containers of dish soap we'd bought years ago, and found that the scent was too strong, I dug out the receipts (from 2009) and returned the product.

The receipt search was quick because Costco receipts are blue.
That $18 almost covers one of the days of parking at the hotel in Portland. Do you have anything else you can return?
Old 06-10-2012, 06:49 AM   #10529

Went to DW's niece's 30th birthday party, where she mourned the loss of her 20's.

One highlight was capturing a large dragonfly for one of her neighbor's kids who was collecting insects for an over-the-summer science project for school.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dragonfly.jpg (65.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 06-10-2012, 08:23 AM   #10530
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I spent all day in the house. I coughed hard the other day after swallowing "the wrong way" and felt a sharp pain in my right back rib area. I took aspirin thinking it was a simple muscle cramp. I was in pain for 1.5 days, unable to stand up from a seated or laying down position without a sharp stabbing pain in the scapular area. Simple movements of my right arm and just blowing my nose brought the pain right back.
Aspirin didn't do much for the pain. On day 3, I went to Urgent Care, very afraid of whatever it was I was hurting so badly from.
The good news is I was diagnosed with a strained large muscle in my back. I am on muscle relaxers and 800 mg Ibuprofen. I've never taken muscle relaxers before. Talk about a buzz! woooooooo
Mr B had meetings today and tonight, so I am entertaining myself by watching Finding Nemo on TV. I hate being grounded (doc said NO driving and lots of rest) like this but hopefully it will be better in a few days.
Glad to hear you aren't driving while on muscle relaxers. Don't even consider it. If my ex's response to them (years ago) was any indication, they are so strong that even walking can be dangerous while on them! Be careful and I hope your back feels better soon.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 06-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #10531
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Today I am banished to the barn. Ms G is hosting the cutesy girl day, lunch and 3 different favored margaritas. My only required j*b today is to make a coop for her 8 new Guinea fowl keets(babies).
Will want to hear more how the Guinea keets work out. We are thinking about getting a few of these to keep in the pasture with the alpacas to keep the bugs down. We keep hearing they can be "very noisy" but don't really have a reference point for what that means. Looking for a farm around here we could visit and hear for ourselves. Good luck with the coop!
Old 06-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #10532
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
While you were actually accomplishing something, I have been tearing my house apart looking for my checkbook. The last time I wrote a check was in January, right here where I am sitting, and I haven't thought about it since. I look at my checking account every day, and no illicit checks have been passed. It's here somewhere.... Bet it fell under the sofa.
I can't believe it! I *finally* found my checkbook today, at last, after more than two months! Guess where it was? In the small 14"x14"x6" basket right at my elbow as I sit in my easy chair typing this. This basket is where I throw receipts and similar paperwork to be filed, and where I normally keep my checkbook.

What amazes me is that it took me two months. I have gone through that basket at least 100 times since then, not only looking for my checkbook but for other items that reside there, that I found as needed. Apparently I just overlooked my checkbook at least 100 times.

Actually this is telling me four things:

(1) I am long overdue in filing my "to be filed" papers.
(2) I need to keep my checkbook with my "new checks" box, because that is where all my other checks were (which I have been using in the interim).
(3) Time to phase out as much checkwriting as I can.
(4) Time for new glasses?

Old 06-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #10533
Give me a forum ...

DW, DS and I went to BIL's farm and helped him put away about 400 bales of first-cut hay bales. Luckily we had a lot of help from some neighbors and other friends and many hands make light work. But I'll still be looking for the Nuprin tonight.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:20 PM   #10534

Assisted with reuniting friend with dog who went AWOL. Short version: Dog roamed from house... next night I placed a Lost Dog Ad on Craigslist. Same night the 'finder' placed a Dog Found Ad on Craigslist. A third party called and put the Lost Dog Ad and Found Dog Ad together and a happy ending. Third party does this all the time ...Take away lesson (besides watching your dog) ... Craigslist is the central clearing house for missing pets.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #10535

I have wanted to post on this thread and now retired, i can! Even if nothing exciting happened. Retirement is GREAT!

Gym after breakfast and checking email
Pulled out some crazy vine from backyard planter. I work on it every day for 5 minutes, after gym and before shower. I will post a photo of it one day and somebody can tell me what it is. I have a looooong way to go; it has taken over the entire planter.
Fixed hamburgers and corn on the cob for lunch
Made a beer run with DH to neighboring wet county
Put a few items into "yard sale pile"--we want to soon list our house
Made some "energy bites" for freezer...and they are yummy. Peanut butter, honey, ground flax seed, coconut, butterscotch morsels---roll that into balls
Scrubbed bathtub
Sat on front porch to watch thunderstorm. with lots of loud, pea-sized hail
Fixed roasted salmon, steamed squash and quinoa for dinner
Went with DH to pub to watch first half of UA/Baylor baseball game for college World Series
Finished watching game at home....UA won!
Another fun day in retirement. DH retired last year and says I am not relaxing enough, haha...i am getting hang of it and will succeed at that relaxing thing VERY soon
Old 06-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #10536

Finally got to see the Kings hoist the Stanley Cup. Great playoff run. Some unbelievable hockey.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #10537
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I can't believe it! I *finally* found my checkbook today, at last, after more than two months! Guess where it was? In the small 14"x14"x6" basket right at my elbow as I sit in my easy chair typing this. This basket is where I throw receipts and similar paperwork to be filed, and where I normally keep my checkbook.
What amazes me is that it took me two months. I have gone through that basket at least 100 times since then, not only looking for my checkbook but for other items that reside there, that I found as needed. Apparently I just overlooked my checkbook at least 100 times.
You don't have any teenagers in your house, but once upon a time in our house that discovery would mean a guilty party had sneaked the checkbook back into someplace where it'd eventually be rediscovered...

Any missing checks?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:10 PM   #10538
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
You don't have any teenagers in your house, but once upon a time in our house that discovery would mean a guilty party had sneaked the checkbook back into someplace where it'd eventually be rediscovered...

Any missing checks?
You made me look! Just now I checked my bank account to see the last check number before it disappeared, and looked through the checkbook. Not one check is missing.

I suspect this is just one of those aggravating things that happen sometimes to those of us with drifty spirits and truly crummy vision.

I am just so glad to have it back.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:23 AM   #10539
Give me a forum ...

Went to the gym for my weekly HIT workout. When we got home it was promising to be a very hot day so we grabbed a couple of bike shares and rode downtown to the air conditioned movies. Saw Battleship which I would give a thumbs up to -- it is silly but fun and great special effects. After that we dropped in on The Chernobyl Diaries which is so bad that it passes through camp and comes out at just plain awful. I don't know how some of these things get funded.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #10540
Give me a forum ...

Had a dentist appt this afternoon to have a small cavity filled on an upper front tooth. Got some gas...procedure was pain free. Good times.

Had two errands to run immediately after the appt. My speech was pitiful as I tried to communicate with the store employees. I explained I had been to the dentist and my speech was off kilter. It's amazing how sweet people are to you when they find out you've been to the dentist. ...or perhaps it's kind of funny to hear a grown woman say 'fwee' for three.

Not only is my top lip numb, so is my right nostril.