Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #10541

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes
Made some "energy bites" for freezer...and they are yummy. Peanut butter, honey, ground flax seed, coconut, butterscotch morsels---roll that into balls
hey, we've got an ER recipe thread around here somewhere if you want to share the recipe-those sound great!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #10542
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sarah,

I posted it here:

ER Forum Cookbook -- Recipe Posting Thread

Thanks for the tip...not sure i had run across this recipe thread...it will come in handy. : >

Old 06-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #10543
Moderator Emeritus

Got a hair cut. Walked along the Embarcadero to the farmers market. Bought some delicious cherries and apricots, and some bread. Took the metro back home. Fixed lunch and relaxed for the rest of the afternoon. Tonight, dinner at Panera (we still have no furniture in the new apartment).
Old 06-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #10544
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Got a hair cut. Walked along the Embarcadero to the farmers market. Bought some delicious cherries and apricots, and some bread. Took the metro back home. Fixed lunch and relaxed for the rest of the afternoon. Tonight, dinner at Panera (we still have no furniture in the new apartment).
Wonderful! At last you can relax a little and enjoy your new home.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 06-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #10545
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Watched a couple squirrels do it while eating my chicken salad sandwich . Was too lazy to grab the camera for pics. Of course they could have been wrastling. Pretty impressive you usually don't witness such hot squirrel action.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #10546

Wow 3 weeks until monsoon season. I replaced some boards, caulked and ready to paint steps to the rooftop observation deck. Next I have to replace 1 shingle that folded in a 65 mph wind this spring. Just waiting for the sun to move to the other side of the house.

I can do this all without help from the b*ss, as Ms G took a neighbor to Tucson today for a doctors appointment. Our friend who is part mountain goat, took a head first off a 20 ft cliff while hiking. Lots of scrapes and a multiple broken arm to boot. Ms G is also helping with dinners too, as our friend is another vegan, we are rotating with other neighbors to have meals for her. It has been tough for our friend, because she has very limited use of her other hand from a past accident.

It's times like this that the love from a small community is really felt.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #10547

I ushered last night at a Beach Boys concert. It was nice to be working at a concert where I knew all the words to all the songs. Great crowd, much older and quieter than the usual rock concert crowds we see. It's rare to see people sitting in their seats during a rock show but by the second half plenty of folks were up and dancing.

The Beach Boys played for so long, with so many songs, that there was a 20 minute intermission.

It's was a beautiful night, dry and clear, getting into the mid 50's when the sun went down.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #10548
Moderator Emeritus

Finally recovering after the virus from hell.

I nearly all day yesterday sleeping, overdosing on various medications, or eating. I get flu shots every year, and last fall was no exception, but this virus hit me hard. It wasn't just the coughing or the congestion or the splitting headaches or the fever-- it was having your entire body ache and not being able to pass a field sobriety test.

We also took some money off the table today-- really the first time we've replenished the cash stash since last fall's familyroom remodel. It wasn't a particularly good or bad day to sell, but it made spouse's spidey sense stop tingling for the rest of the year.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #10549

Busy - started out moving the lightweight furniture in preparation for the carpet cleaners to steam clean the carpeting.

While waiting for them I mowed half the grass then stopped at a good point.

DW insisted on vacuuming everything, I told her it was like cleaning before the maid arrives but to no avail. We don't have a maid, just a figure of speech. The carpet-cleaning guy later agreed no need to vacumn before they get there. They were here for about an hour, but the carpeting was still damp, all ceiling fans on full throttle, and I got yelled at for even thinking of walking on the carpet.

So I went for a two-hour motorcycle ride. Came back, finished mowing, and finally able to put the computer back together (tower, sits on the floor).

Now working on a glass of wine.

Carpets are clean, DW is happy.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #10550

Catching up today on everything (including rest) after a busy but exceptionally fun week.

Last Sunday I got to sing a few ensembles in our church choir's gospel sing - we had over 250 people show up and a good time was had by all.

Monday the installer from California Closets came to install new custom closet fixtures in the two guest room closets (both of which had nothing hanging in them but the floors covered in boxes of stuff). So Monday afternoon and most of Tuesday were spent putting things back and admiring how organized everything is (yes, I did throw a lot out in the process as well, always a good thing).

Tuesday morning met with the college-age daughter of an acquaintance for some informal career coaching. I do this several times a year and have helped some good kids get good jobs they love, so it's always fun.

Wednesday SIL and her DH and DD (7) came to visit for a few days on their annual road trip through Texas. Cooking for 6 instead of 2-3 is a lot more work but I enjoy picking out some of my favorite recipes and sharing good food, as well as sitting around by the pond with a cold one just visiting. The best part of this visit was that we played golf Friday morning and I found out that one reason I was about to give up on the game is that my clubs (over 20 years old, that I got free from a friend) are horrible. I hit the ball much better using SIL's clubs, so I think I'll invest in a set of modern clubs before I give up completely.

It was fun watching DS teach his cousin how to make friendship bracelets - he has many years of experience doing this as a camp counselor and she really picked it up quickly. He is incredibly patient with kids (and he certainly didn't get that from his mother!).

Last night we watched Nik Wallenda do his walk across Niagara Falls. Not something I would have watched if they weren't here - the lead up was way too overblown but the stunt itself was worth watching.

Up at 0400 this morning to see the travelers off (they're trying to get back to CO today). Went back to sleep for a bit, now catching up with everything that's been on the back burner all week. That said, hope they come back again next year, it was lots of fun.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:27 AM   #10551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Finally recovering after the virus from hell.

I nearly all day yesterday sleeping, overdosing on various medications, or eating. I get flu shots every year, and last fall was no exception, but this virus hit me hard. It wasn't just the coughing or the congestion or the splitting headaches or the fever-- it was having your entire body ache and not being able to pass a field sobriety test.

We also took some money off the table today-- really the first time we've replenished the cash stash since last fall's familyroom remodel. It wasn't a particularly good or bad day to sell, but it made spouse's spidey sense stop tingling for the rest of the year.
I must have that virus from hell too I finally went to the doctor when it traveled down into my bronchial tubes yesterday...plan to rest today. This is good, because it is supposed to be really hot this afternoon. Whatever flu shot I received last fall didn't work for this one.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #10552
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmary View Post
I finally went to the doctor when it traveled down into my bronchial tubes yesterday...plan to rest today.
I always go back & forth on that one. I spend all day Fridays telling myself how stupid I'll feel on Saturday afternoon if I need to go to Tripler's ER because I didn't make a doctor's appointment.

But I felt good enough last night to stop the decongestants, and today I might even wean myself off the Delsym. I don't feel bronchial yet, but I can sure tell when the pneumonia starts to affect my lung capacity. That always gets a quick doctor's appointment...

I dimly remember having a virus or two like this since I've been retired, but my clearest memories of feeling this crappy are all from my working days. I may be subject to recency bias, but I think this is the sickest I've been in a decade.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #10553

I wonder what it is that is going around. I know that there has been a "whooping cough" outbreak in Washington. I typically try to tough it out with teas, rest, etc. But, my cue for seeing a doc is lung congestion or a persistent sinus headache.

I hope you recover soon, Nords....
Old 06-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #10554
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Glad to hear you aren't driving while on muscle relaxers. Don't even consider it. If my ex's response to them (years ago) was any indication, they are so strong that even walking can be dangerous while on them! Be careful and I hope your back feels better soon.
Thanks.
I did not touch a steering wheel at all. No way, no how.
I watched some movies I had recorded on the DVR and did some light container gardening w*rk. I stayed away from the stairs. It was tough to limit my activities but I was a good girl.
The muscle is 90% recovered. I did constant ROM exercises and scapular stretches as instructed by the doctor.
I continue to take 1 Ibuprofen a day, but only as needed. No more buzzy pills. Those were wild!
Old 06-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #10555

Saw my first 3D film yesterday. An interesting experience, I thought it didn't add that much to the movie, so until the technology moves forward I won't repeat. The film was Promethius by Ridley Scott. Quite enjoyable.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #10556
Administrator

It's a beautiful sunny day in the high 70s here in CT. The young wife and I broke out the roadster and drove over to Mystic, where we browsed the shops and ate a wonderful lunch at the restaurant overlooking the bascule bridge in the center of town.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mystic bridge.jpg (13.0 KB, 140 views)
Old 06-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #10557
Moderator Emeritus

I just finished proofreading a short humor booklet written by a friend and sent him the copy edits. He's trying to figure out whether to subject himself to a publisher's search or to just sell it on his own blog.

It's golf-related humor, and it's good, but I have no idea whether a publisher would go for it. However I suspect it'd do just fine on his blog.

Today is the official one-year anniversary of the publishing of "The Military Guide". Much to my surprise, Amazon.com's Author Central reported that last week it logged eight sales of the book. This is the most it's ever seen in one week. It might be due to my mentioning it on SailorBob.com (a discussion board for Navy surface warfare officers) or it might be due to something totally unrelated to anything I know of. It'll be interesting to see if this is a new trend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
... where we browsed the shops and ate a wonderful lunch at the restaurant overlooking the bascule bridge in the center of town.
I swear that for the rest of my life I won't be able to gaze upon a drawbridge without reflexively checking my watch to see how much time I have before liberty expires...

Old 06-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #10558
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

I swear that for the rest of my life I won't be able to gaze upon a drawbridge without reflexively checking my watch to see how much time I have before liberty expires...
I also check my watch when the bridge goes up. Which reminds me that you and I are probably among the last people who actually wear a wristwatch to check. None of the young people in my office have one; they all use their phone if they need to know the time.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:54 AM   #10559

I wear a watch every day and cross several bascule bridges every day. When DH was taking the sailboat down the ICW to Florida many years ago, he was fairly novice at requesting bridge openings. At each, he would dutifully call the bridge operator but since they were marked in the charts as bascule bridges, he thought that was the name. It wasn't until his 5th or 6th one that they finally explained that the bridge was not named "bascule".

Old 06-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #10560
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I finished staining my fence this morning. It looks fabulous!

Went thru 6 gallons of stain, 3 three inch roller pads, 1 three inch brush and 1 half inch brush. I stained 928 fence boards (both sides) and 348 feet of support beams.

I told a snake to scoot over, was bitten by bugs, scratched by bushes, have ouchies from lava rock but somehow never broke a nail.

Time for a shower, then a plate of BACON, gravy and biscuits. Then I'll fall into bed for a nice snooze.