Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #10561

bbbami's day sounds like mine. Ran 4 miles, then bought some woodworking supplies while DW finished grocery shopping, My old John Deere riding mower finally bit the dust, so I cut the grass with my push mower. Then I sprayed 3 coats of spar varnish on the chaise lounge I'm building. Decided to take a boat ride with DW. The boat ran out of gas about a half mile from home, so I jumped overboard and pushed it home while DW steered. Now I'm ready for a nap.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #10562
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R
Happy birthday

Old 06-17-2012, 10:36 PM   #10563
Moderator Emeritus

Woke up kinda early for a Sunday. Made some pancakes. Spent a few hours at the beach with DW:

Came back home just as the fog was rolling into the city.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:59 AM   #10564
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Woke up kinda early for a Sunday. Made some pancakes. Spent a few hours at the beach with DW:

Beautiful. Sounds like the perfect morning!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 06-18-2012, 07:14 AM   #10565

Yesterday was a mid-size family gathering at FIL's house, lots of hot dogs, hamburgers, grilled chicken and side dishes.

Toys for the kids to play with. A good time.

DW's nephew showed up with the van's right outside mirror held on with a clamp. He caught it on a hose at the car wash and it took the mirror off.

Therefore a new phrase has entered the family vocabulary. To "Grandad the car" means hit an immovable object with the outside right side mirror and rip it off the car, as his Grandad has done three times.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Granddading_the_car.jpg (124.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 06-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #10566

DH is having surgery to repair his rotator cuff, so I'm sitting in the surgery waiting room. Expected to take about two hours so will get in some reading.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #10567
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

DW's nephew showed up with the van's right outside mirror held on with a clamp. He caught it on a hose at the car wash and it took the mirror off.
I've never heard of such a thing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
DH is having surgery to repair his rotator cuff, so I'm sitting in the surgery waiting room. Expected to take about two hours so will get in some reading.
Hope all goes well.....
Old 06-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #10568

Quote:

Nice. I can see getting used to something like that...
Old 06-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #10569

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI
Hope all goes well.....
Thank you!
Old 06-18-2012, 09:04 PM   #10570
Moderator Emeritus

Eight days after I first started coughing, it appears that I'm gonna survive whatever virus this was.

For a couple days last week I was sleeping more than I was awake. I've been medication-free for 72 hours and I'm starting to regain an interest in food. In the next week or few I might even stop coughing, too. Maybe tomorrow I'll try working out.

I've been getting annual flu shots for over three decades. It's been a very very long time since I've been sick enough to have fevers, chills, and an entire aching body. In fact I can't even remember the last time I took aspirin (not ibuprofen or acetaminophen but plain ol' acetylsalicylic acid) to make the pain stop. Along with decongestants & antihistamines and cough suppressants as well.

So instead of the flu, maybe this was actually dengue fever or malaria or Ebola...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:52 AM   #10571
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nothing much - over-exercised yesterday as was trying to shed off weight gained after a family trip. Woke up with tired muscles and I knew I had to give them a rest. Will take an evening walk by the sea later.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:24 AM   #10572
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I finished staining my fence this morning. It looks fabulous!

Time for a shower, then a plate of BACON, gravy and biscuits. Then I'll fall into bed for a nice snooze.
Now I am Hungry.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #10573
Give me a forum ...

DH returned home yesterday safe and sound from a three week 'epic journey' on his motorcycle. He logged 5,638 miles traveling through TX, NM, AZ, CA, OR, NV and UT. On his journey he stayed with friends and family and on occasion camped in his tent.

I haven't seen all the pics he's taken yet, but so far this is one of my favorites...it looks like his bike is getting ready to beamed up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03555.jpg (924.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 06-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #10574
Give me a forum ...

I RE'd in December 2011. With summer here, I find myself falling into a routine of doing chores and projects around the house in the mornings and kicking back and relaxing and reading (and surfing the web) in the shade in the afternoons.

Pressure washed a year's grime off my sailboat (O'Day 17) in the morning and went to pickup sister's boat at the shop later in the morning. Too hot and muggy this afternoon to do much. Kicking back.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #10575
Moderator Emeritus

Highs in the 50s for the next few days and I am wearing a wool sweater. Summer started yesterday, right?

Waiting for the repair guy (the garbage disposal is not working). After that, the plan is to go walk around downtown. I need to find some important resources like a decent hardware store.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #10576

Mixed about 1/2 bag of Portland to patch up some places around the homestead. Ms G thinks we are getting critters under the house. I don't think so the snakes and owls do a pretty good j*b of keeping the rodent population under control. I got a photo of a Desert Kingsnake just the tail end because the other end went down a hole. We had people over for Thai Monday one of the dogs found a 6ft Gophersnake at dusk, the snake was a little more aggressive than most of the Gophers I have on the property. But than again a noisy little chow barking 3 ft from his head may have pissed him off.

Desert Kingsnake.jpg
Old 06-21-2012, 05:04 PM   #10577
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
DH returned home yesterday safe and sound from a three week 'epic journey' on his motorcycle. He logged 5,638 miles traveling through TX, NM, AZ, CA, OR, NV and UT. On his journey he stayed with friends and family and on occasion camped in his tent.

I haven't seen all the pics he's taken yet, but so far this is one of my favorites...it looks like his bike is getting ready to beamed up.
Nice photo.

Pretty incredible trip for someone who has been through the health problems your DH has had this year!!! I'll bet he feels exuberant about doing it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 06-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #10578
Administrator

Quote:
Highs in the 50s for the next few days and I am wearing a wool sweater. Summer started yesterday, right?
That is typical SF as I remember it. I never felt like I had a chance to warm up in the summers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd
Waiting for the repair guy (the garbage disposal is not working). After that, the plan is to go walk around downtown. I need to find some important resources like a decent hardware store.
Enjoy your explorations!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 06-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #10579

We've made the decision to move back to Texas today. We originally moved to NV to see if it was where we wanted to retire, but turned out the answer is no.

So, with the recent changes in my job (I've just been made manager in an area that I absolutely LOVE), we've decided to move back so that I can be in the same town as the majority of my employees and my manager. And the decision was made easier because the house we lived in last has been rented and the tenant's lease is up at about the same time that we'll be moving back, so there will be no house hunting involved.

Now for the packing...that's the only downside. BUT, we're not moving until the first week of November, so plenty of time to declutter and pack.

Now to tell my sister-in-law who moved to Henderson from Chicago last year!
Old 06-21-2012, 06:43 PM   #10580
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Nice photo.

Pretty incredible trip for someone who has been through the health problems your DH has had this year!!! I'll bet he feels exuberant about doing it.
Thank you...

It's kind of like one forum member said, or perhaps it is the signature line....'if not today, when?' He had a wonderful time.

He was also in FIREd's neck of the woods. A few days later he enjoyed the view of Crater Lake.

Two more of my favorite pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03475.jpg (515.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03608.jpg (432.9 KB, 12 views)