Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #10601
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I recently saw a new microwave oven in a store for about $50 or $60. It looks a bit flimsy, but still, how can they build one to sell for that price?

I have never been involved in the manufacturing of consumer electronic products, so have always found these low prices mind-boggling.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #10602
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I recently saw a new microwave oven in a store for about $50 or $60. It looks a bit flimsy, but still, how can they build one to sell for that price?

I have never been involved in the manufacturing of consumer electronic products, so have always found these low prices mind-boggling.
I bought a new microwave for $12.48 about 5-6 years ago at Target. It was a clearance item that I read about on the FW thread so I went looking for one and found it. Got my cheap treasure home and read some reviews on the model and they were horrible (Emerson brand). Decided that I'd get my value out of it if it lasted a year or two. Well it's now 5-6 years later and it still works just fine. I gave up worrying about what to purchase next and will wait until the current one gives up.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:05 PM   #10603
Give me a forum ...

Today is DH's and my 35th wedding anniversary.

Rich Italian pasta and fine wine will be enjoyed tonight at one of our favorite restaurants.

The years have gone by so quickly; and seem to be picking up speed.

Therefore, we'll enjoy dessert as well. ...don't wanna run out of time.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #10604
Moderator Emeritus

Happy anniversary, B! Have a romantic evening
Old 06-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #10605

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Today is DH's and my 35th wedding anniversary.

Rich Italian pasta and fine wine will be enjoyed tonight at one of our favorite restaurants.

The years have gone by so quickly; and seem to be picking up speed.

Therefore, we'll enjoy dessert as well. ...don't wanna run out of time.
Congratulations! And definitely enjoy that dessert!!!!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 06-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #10606

Happy anniversary to you and yours, bam! We'll be doing our 40th in Sept. Hope you have a great day.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:55 PM   #10607
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations !
Old 06-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #10608
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
So did you invite your DH to this celebration, or only your friends?

Just kidding. You guys have earned a couple of heartfelt victory laps. Maybe even two desserts.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:49 AM   #10609
Give me a forum ...

Congrats bbbam! I enjoy my desserts too. Picked up a coconut cake the other day from a bakery and boy that baby is good. I treat each day as my birthday as you never know when they may end. Of course if I keep eating like this.......I probably won't see many more.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #10610
Give me a forum ...

Thanks y'all... It was a fun, carefree evening.

For everyone...here's to many more years years of carefree with several desserts tossed in for good measure.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #10611
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a lovely day at home. The weather is beautiful, so I have the windows open. Won't be able to do that later in the week. Temps will be close to 100.
Read, did laundry, cleaned the kitty litter =^..^=, fixed supper. Now watching the news.
I'm not fully retired until Jan. 2013, but on Mondays, I get to pretend. ;-)
Old 06-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #10612
Administrator

Well, I started the day with a 0700 colonoscopy. Had to get up at 0300 for the final bottle of prep solution and then camp out in the john until I drove to the doctor's. Woke up in the middle of the procedure. The rest of the day has been a breeze compared to that.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #10613
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Well, I started the day with a 0700 colonoscopy. Had to get up at 0300 for the final bottle of prep solution and then camp out in the john until I drove to the doctor's. Woke up in the middle of the procedure. The rest of the day has been a breeze compared to that.
Gotta ask: At any time did you feel the urge to command, "Down periscope!" ?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 06-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #10614
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Gotta ask: At any time did you feel the urge to command, "Down periscope!" ?
Indeed I did. I also now have a much better appreciation for the death of Edward II of England.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #10615
Moderator Emeritus

Two hours of "vigorous gardening" on our downhill backyard (within our property lines) to chop down the California grass & vines that would strangle the weedwhacker. This weekend I'll be able to take our weedwhacker back to our downslope to finish the job. The fruit trees are doing well but I wish our zoysia, St. Augustine, and centipede grass would cover the ground better and crowd out the weeds. I may have to try some more seeding & planting this fall to encourage the short grasses.

Next week I'll go outside the fence (into the gulch) to chop down the rest of the California grass. The yellow oleander that I planted five years ago has largely taken over outside the fence, but a few bundles of grass along the fence have made it over six feet tall. I'm going to have to cut them down with a reciprocating saw and haul their carcasses down the slope a little further to let them mulch themselves away from the oleander. Then the oleander should crowd out the rest of the grass.

A decade ago, I used to have to chop down that CA grass every six weeks. When I started planting yellow oleander, they eventually helped me get the grass-chopping down to once every few months. This is the first grass-chopping I've done in a year, and hopefully the next one won't be until 2014.

Just about every day during this time of year, a family of brown quail go through our yard. I think they do their rounds because they almost always come up our backslope staircase between 4-5 PM, pop out on our lanai, and then scurry across our side yard. The adults are perfectly capable of flying but they seem to prefer to walk.

I think it's the same breeding pair for the last several years. This year they have five young ones again, but they're almost full grown. Today (maybe because of the weeding) they stayed in our back yard for almost an hour instead of just passing through. They've very skittish, though-- just sliding open the lanai door four inches to stick out the camera lens made them hide in the bougainvillea. Maybe tomorrow afternoon I'll bring a book out on the back lanai and read very quietly with the camera ready to go.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:05 PM   #10616
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Two hours of "vigorous gardening" on our downhill backyard (within our property lines) to ......... Maybe tomorrow afternoon I'll bring a book out on the back lanai and read very quietly with the camera ready to go.
You really make me wish I have a large large backyard. Unfortunately, living in an apartment in a city means just balconies to work with and reorganising cabinets and cupboards!

Today, I have a lady cleaner in my apartment cleaning up for 4 hours. After that, it's going to the supermarkets to stock up food to cook. Then heading to the gym. It's getting to be a rather quiet summer for me with all my friends away on holidays.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:46 PM   #10617
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
You really make me wish I have a large large backyard. Unfortunately, living in an apartment in a city means just balconies to work with and reorganising cabinets and cupboards!
Our entire lot is about 15,000 sq ft, which is considered "big" on Oahu. It's a weird layout and I haven't checked the dimensions, but the part I spent two hours on is probably 50'x100'. It's a mandatory life sentence with no parole for good behavior.

You're welcome to come here to do yardwork whenever you want the practice!

Old 06-28-2012, 05:35 AM   #10618

I went to an Aerospace Technology exhibition. Very interesting. Best part is that one of the exhibits answered my query on how astronauts do their daily big and small business. Some photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aerospace.jpg (144.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg space toilet.jpg (59.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg space toilet notes.jpg (100.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 06-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #10619

Yesterday we went to see Ramsey Lewis and Sergio Mendes. Very enjoyable. Both are in their 70's but still put on good shows.

I just went to the market to get chicken feet and ox tail. Yummmm .. We're going to have soup tonight.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #10620

Today I ended up here after searching (again) the Google to try and determine whatever happened to Jen Smith, a.k.a. Millionaire Mommy Next Door. Imagine my surprise when I found her to have visited here before. It makes me feel better about some of my prior threads HAR!

So basically I ended up reading pages and pages of E-R.org threads. So productive...