Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 08:05 AM   #10761

Nice car

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #10762
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I love the color !

Old 07-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #10763
Give me a forum ...

Nice ride.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #10764
Give me a forum ...

Finally get to post this...I wrote most of it this morning but had to conserve electrons.

I feel powerless today...

...we had a heck of a thunderstorm last night. Power went out at 1230 AM. We sat in the living room by candlelight at 3 AM. I went back to bed, with Mr B on duty waiting for the sun to come up so I could go out and get the generator going. I boiled water on the gas stove, and made coffee using a kitchen funnel, coffee filter, and catch bottle.
Power is out in several sections of the county.

I had to disturb some cobwebs to remember how to do the generator thing.
I changed over the main electrical box to generator mode. I had not started the generator in over a year, so I added magic potion to the gas and refreshed myself (and taught Mr B) on how to start the darn thing up. It would not run consistently or smoothly, so while I fetched fresh gas from the shed, Mr B fiddled with the choke lever positions and got it purring like a kitten. He claims he is not mechanical. Yeah...uh huh.

Problem is...it runs great for about 45 minutes then runs rough and dies. Bad gas? Clogged fuel filter?

Freezer and refrig food is fine. I tried using the coffeemaker and quickly turned it off when I saw the kitchen lights dim. Ooops
I have 1 fan running just to move the air around. Generator is running too roughly to try using the AC.

Everyone close by but 6 houses (Murphy's Law ) had power by noon. Our power was finally restored at 630 PM. I spent the entire day running the generator, turning it off for a little while to troubleshoot its rough running and eventual (45 minutes) stalling out. The longest we went without generator power was 90 minutes. I had a haircut scheduled.

Moral of the story...always remember to turn the fuel line pitcock completely COUNTERCLOCKWISE. I had done a half-a** job of that.
I was so embarassed.

Tomorrow I am headed to Cayuga Lake, doing a nice long distance Mustang ride. Wooo hoooooo
Old 07-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #10765
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Finally get to post this...I wrote most of it this morning but had to conserve electrons.

I feel powerless today...

Bummer. The rough running is no doubt crud in the carburetor. I'd take it apart and blow every passageway out with compressed air. Add fresh gas and readjust carb.

Or just go on a cool road trip and let someone else worry about it....
Old 07-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #10766
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
......and Hello to my new CRV! This is one cool vehicle. Thanks Moemg, your input was very helpful.
Beautiful new ride, enjoy!
Old 07-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #10767

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Bummer. The rough running is no doubt crud in the carburetor. I'd take it apart and blow every passageway out with compressed air. Add fresh gas and readjust carb.

Or just go on a cool road trip and let someone else worry about it....
Wonder if its running hot or something with oil. Bah yeah good idea let someone else worry about it
Old 07-26-2012, 02:07 PM   #10768
Full time employment: Posting here.

Got the keys to our new house today! Move in on Monday so busy packing, packing, packing :-)

image-890776675.jpg
Old 07-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #10769
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl View Post
Got the keys to our new house today! Move in on Monday so busy packing, packing, packing :-)
Nice! Good luck with the move!

We've done quite a bit this week. Walked 7 miles about town on Monday (had lunch in a restaurant overlooking the Bay), walked to the farmers market on Tuesday, toured some wineries in Napa yesterday (lunch at an awesome bistro), walked around downtown this morning (picked up our new, custom-made bedding), and for tomorrow a new Japanese restaurant for lunch followed by a few hours at the beach.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #10770
Administrator

Training climb up the Sleeping Giant in preparation for climbing Mt. Washington next month. Now weathering the severe thunderstorms moving through the state.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #10771
Give me a forum ...

Drove 1973 miles in two days. It was 55 degrees or so in Bandon Oregon and 105 on my front porch when I got home.

heh heh heh - love driving the 'back country' of Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska, etc.

heh heh heh -
Old 07-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #10772
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Returned home from a state baseball tournament where we watched our grandson's 9u team play eight games in five days - in the Texas heat. They finished in fourth place.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 07-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #10773
Give me a forum ...

For the same distance, it would take me more than 1 week, preferably even longer, much longer. I would slow down and enjoy the scenery. In fact, even pull off the side of the road midday, take a walk along a stream, have lunch with wine, take a nap, etc... Even cook dinner and stay a night, if a spot looks interesting. Visit the nearby town.

Do you have a job to get back to?

Oh, I forgot that you do not have an RV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Drove 1973 miles in two days. It was 55 degrees or so in Bandon Oregon and 105 on my front porch when I got home.

heh heh heh - love driving the 'back country' of Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska, etc.

heh heh heh -
Old 07-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #10774
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
For the same distance, it would take me more than 1 week, preferably even longer, much longer. I would slow down and enjoy the scenery. In fact, even pull off the side of the road midday, take a walk along a stream, have lunch with wine, take a nap, etc... Even cook dinner and stay a night, if a spot looks interesting. Visit the nearby town.

Do you have a job to get back to?

Oh, I forgot that you do not have an RV!
That and the fact that part of my brain has not grown up! I remember 1958 and how fast the family 1955 Pontiac V8 would roll on those back country roads.

heh heh heh -
Old 07-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #10775
Give me a forum ...

I was walking the dog in the back yard today and noticed brown fur about 10 feet up a mulberry tree. On closer examination, it turned out to be a wood chuck nibbling on the berries. Weird.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #10776

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I was walking the dog in the back yard today and noticed brown fur about 10 feet up a mulberry tree. On closer examination, it turned out to be a wood chuck nibbling on the berries. Weird.
Groundhogs, foxes, bears, bobcats, cougars rattlesnakes, all like to climb trees. Guess, everyone walking in the woods will be looking up now.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #10777
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl View Post

Attachment 14758

Very nice house ! Enjoy !
Old 07-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #10778
Dryer sheet aficionado

Today is my official retirement one year anniversary! A nice quiet day like most. Celebrate the great market performance today, read outside on the patio under the umbrella ( have rediscovered the library!), a few domestic chores, watering, laundry, dishes, and a quiet dinner with DW. Enjoyed a nice IPA from Trader Joes with dinner.

Much better than last year with the visit to the ER and emergency surgery to mend a broken ankle!

Hope the rest of the class of 2011 is faring well.

nook
Old 07-28-2012, 07:21 AM   #10779

Nice house CG! Getting set up will keep you busy for a while.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:27 AM   #10780
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just got back from a "mini-vacation." My brother and I went to visit a cousin (93 years old) in a nursing home. She remembered relatives who traveled over the Oregon Trail in the 1800's, and we recorded the interview. It was very insightful to learn about the in-laws and outlaws of our family.