Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #10821
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Last night I ushered for a Barry Manilow concert. It was LOVELY and a beautiful night. The audience was 90% middle aged women so it was an easy crowd to manage. Everyone had a good time and they all were polite enough to take their trash with them which made clean up super easy.

The guy is almost 70 years old and he sounded excellent. He talked a lot about his history in music and his favorite parts of his albums.

The show ended with a burst of paper streamers out over the crowd. I was pretty close and was covered in streamers. I even got a glow stick which is still glowing on my desk.

Fun night.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #10822
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What happens with Sue and her husband is exactly the roles between my wife and myself. Amazing.

My wife also says that I would be totally lost without her. To that, I reply that statistics say that my chances of dying first are a lot higher, and she would not have me to take care of anymore.

Nice photos there, Walt. You almost made me want to spend money for more toys equipment.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #10823

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Nice photos there, Walt. You almost made me want to spend money for more toys equipment.
It is difficult to restrain myself. There is so much out there with such possibilities but I have to ask myself "how much would I really use it?" Nonetheless I have long "wish lists" at a couple of photo dealer web sites.

Went for an hour bike ride in the late AM but it was getting hot/muggy so headed for home.

And playing around with an off-camera flash near dark, shot a weed under the back porch. The white background is the out-of-focus siding of the house. Now a set of extension tubes to get even closer is on the list.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg weed.jpg (33.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 08-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #10824
Moderator Emeritus

Our daughter spent three weeks and a day with us after her submarine training month, and last night she boarded a plane back to college. She's probably unpacking her bags in her new off-campus apartment, changing the oil in her CR-V, and getting ready for Orientation Week. She's looking forward to junior year because she's taking "only" 18 credit hours.

Spouse and I are enjoying our silent house with all of its newly-exposed horizontal surfaces. Even our washer & dryer are empty.

It was good to have her home again, and she's matured a lot in the last six months. She turns 20 soon, so I guess I can claim that we've finally gotten rid of our teenager... after about 10 years of sustained effort!

My big plan for today is pruning bougainvillea. Probably after my nap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
As is usually the case, the first time I heard about that book was on this forum. I never go out much, as they say. Then, out of curiosity, I read the linked review. Oh la la. Is that what women want? I dunno...
According to Dave Barry, that's exactly what women want. But with helicopter-owning billionaires, not with us.

Barry also claims that this phenomenon explains the existence of Donald Trump.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #10825
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Last night I ushered for a Barry Manilow concert. It was LOVELY and a beautiful night.
Did he do his medly of the hit advertising jingles he wrote? I heard that once and it was quite entertaining.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #10826
Give me a forum ...

I did some minor house chores while Mr B did some checkbook reconciliation for a group he was recently elected as their Finance Officer. His opinion of the record keeping was...shall we say...colorful.

I watered the container garden, watched some Olympics, surfed a bit, harvested some fresh carrots and planted 2 more rows for late fall picking.

It is 93F outside, which is way above my "hot flash" tolerance threshold. Small change compared to other parts of the country today, but still hotter than Hades for me. I have both window AC units cranking and all fans on to get some cross room circulation.

I will get out later to deliver some 4x6 color portrait shots of 2 officers at one of the VFW posts we frequent. I also have photos of the parade in which I drove my Mustang as an honorary Color Guard member for a day. My passenger was the past Commander, unable to march due to bad knees.
Here are the guys performing the traditional gun salute.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HonorAmericaDays2012-VFW2246 019.jpg (592.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 08-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #10827
Give me a forum ...

Changed the cat litter box. Emptied out the old, put in new. Cats are happier.

Then was singing the song "Zip-It, Zip-It good" (Instead of Whip It...by Devo) as I had to do the chore of using the "Zip-It" device to clear up a very slow bathtub drain. Icky..but very effective way of shower drain busting.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #10828

After my usual Saturday breakfast (poached egg on whole wheat toast and coffee) I walked down the street to visit an estate sale (mother of a friend of mine who has moved into a retirement apartment) - every time I go to one of these it reminds me why I should NOT buy more "stuff".

DS agreed to help me get the two electrostatic precipitator units out of the attic electronic air cleaner so I could clean them, and then put them back (they are heavy and awkward for me to get down the folding attic stairs). Decided to change out the other air filters while I was at it. Then it was time for the weekly pond cleaning (I normally do it on Fridays but had a busy day yesterday). It was so hot that I actually enjoyed being in the pond, so I did some serious pruning on one of the marginal plants and scrubbed the rocks in the waterfall. After a shower and lunch, I sat down to watch some Olympics and start knitting a new prayer shawl (actually, I had started it last night but made a royal mess of it and had to rip it all out and start over). I'm going to grill some stuffed pork chops for dinner. I'm always happy when I can get through an entire Saturday without going someplace where all the w*rking folks are on Saturdays!
Old 08-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #10829
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just finished canning 28 pints of blackberry jam. DH picked the berries, and I got organic sugar from the coop. We strained out all the seeds. Maybe I'll sell it for say, $50.00 per jar
Old 08-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #10830
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmary View Post
Just finished canning 28 pints of blackberry jam. DH picked the berries, and I got organic sugar from the coop. We strained out all the seeds. Maybe I'll sell it for say, $50.00 per jar
That sounds like a lot of work, but I'm sure you'll really appreciate the taste of nice homemade jam this winter. I remember my grandmother canning vegetables and jam. She had a big pantry with shelves running from floor to ceiling, each one full of Ball jars.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:54 AM   #10831

Went to see the film "The Intouchables" yesterday. We saw the trailer late last year and were waiting the release, and it did not disappoint.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #10832

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmary View Post
Yum. The first time I ate jam made by someone other than my mother was at college. My favorite was blueberry preserves. So good. She also grew her own tomatoes and canned tomato juice, which she used to make spaghetti sauce. What taste, and what memories.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #10833

Went to DW's nephew's house to "help" his wife's parents babysit the kids. During dinner the little one, age 2, confided that she wants to be 6 like her sister. Reminded me of the poem "I wish I was six".

They're adding on to the deck on their townhouse and the older one was demonstrating mid-air spins jumping off the new stairs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DW_neice.jpg (104.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-05-2012, 09:30 PM   #10834
Dryer sheet aficionado

Conquered the Three Peak Challenge on the scooter. A ride up and down Mt. Hamilton, Mt. Diablo and Mt. Tamalpais. All in all about a 280 mile day by the time I made it out of SF and got back home. The Golden Gate bridge was so enshrouded in fog that you could not see the tops of the towers as we crossed. Definitely a bit saddle sore after a long day. Here is a pic from the top of each peak, and a picture of my ride.

nook
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-1932760432.jpg (354.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg image-96370533.jpg (376.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg image-15397788.jpg (360.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg image-2925861674.jpg (340.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 08-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #10835
Moderator Emeritus

Morning workout, post-lunch nap, and afternoon electrical work in the guest bedroom. We've just about finished changing out all the 23-year-old electrical receptacles (and phone jacks and cable jacks) from putty to new white. I have a couple more left in the study (behind massive bookcases) but I'm just going to save those for a couple years until we renovate that room.

Getting ready for a Mainland trip next month. I have the plane tickets and some of the hotel rooms. Now I have to finish off the lodging and decide what to do about transportation.

I'll be visiting my Dad, and I've read that one of the best activities with Alzheimer's patients is a photo album (not a digital frame) with new family pictures. I'll get him caught up on our daughter and our home since his visit of early 2001. It's probably going to take me a couple weeks to get the photos printed, put in an album, and add the captions.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #10836

We are attending a wedding in September, so I broke out the suits and tried them on yesterday. Still have two from my working days. One must have been bought not long before I left, because it doesn't fit. Way too big - at least two inches in the waist. I put on a bit of weight (30 lbs) around then. The other suit, my favorite, dates back to pre-97, because that's when we moved and the suit was made in Caracas. Still fits and looks good and the tropical fabric will be great for that unbearable South Florida heat. Good thing men's formal and business wear is durable.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #10837

As I no longer value my morning 2-mile walk more than sleep, I got up at 6:45 and left the house at 7:30 for my first-Monday-of-every-other-month committee meeting for one of my volunteer assignments - about 90 miles away. Stopped on the way out of town to pick up 2 others also on the committee. Uneventful drive both ways, but when I got home at 5pm it felt like I had been at w*rk. Fortunately, it's only 6-7 times a year, so that probably isn't a bad reminder of what I've left behind. And I get to use a lot of my management skills in a totally new way which is sort of cool (DH likes me to have an outlet for them outside the home, if you get my drift).

I've recently realized that the (many) volunteer hours I spend do come with a payback - it just doesn't have $$ attached to it. To me, that's the wonderful aspect of being FI - I get what I need - doing something useful to others - and not what I don't.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #10838
Moderator Emeritus

Walked downtown this morning - went to Crate and Barrel to see if I could replace a wine glass that was broken during the move. Had lunch at a wonderful tea lounge in Buena Yerba Gardens. Spent some time lounging in the shade of the gardens (the weather was fantastic) and walked back home.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #10839
Dryer sheet aficionado

Today is my birthday, so DW and I drove up to San Francisco to have brunch at the Cliff House. Kind of a touristy place, but having driven by on many occasions, on 2 wheels and 4, I wanted to give it a shot. Today was a Chamber of Commerce day in SF, with sunny skies, warm temperatures, no fog and only a light breeze. Absolutely gorgeous!

After a nice meal and a Bloody Mary, we drove up toward the Golden Gate Bridge to take in the views. Totally different than on Saturday when it was cold and foggy.

On the way home we stopped to pick up a Roederer Brut and some little fruit tarts, in lieu of a fattening cake.

A nice quiet day - just the way I like it!

Here are some pics.

nook
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-3067781245.jpg (372.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg image-2797729742.jpg (404.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg image-2556293869.jpg (393.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 08-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #10840
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nice day Nook! Just enjoyed a great day of walking and signed our new lease for another year at our present place. Made fresh pizza dough and grilled it. The simple things in life give great enjoyment.