what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Filed granddaughter's federal tax this morning. She is a full time college student and worked a bit over the month of December. Next year I'll buy her a copy of Turbo Tax or point her to TaxAct Free. :D............

I do my MIL's taxes and use a free edition for low income filers of TurboTax, though the state treasurer's website.

But I'd agree that if you can handle college, you should be able to file your own taxes.

Visited the local Social Security office and had a delightful exchange with the friendly clerk. Brought back warm memories of my days in the gummint.

Me: "I tried to do this online, but wasn't able to complete it."

Clerk: "I know, and we can't do it on a walk-in basis, either. You'll have to set up an appointment. Would you like me to do that for you?"

Me: "Sure. When is the first appointment I can get?"

Clerk: "May 27th."

Me: :facepalm:

Visited the local Social Security office and had a delightful exchange with the friendly clerk. Brought back warm memories of my days in the gummint.

Me: "I tried to do this online, but wasn't able to complete it."

Clerk: "I know, and we can't do it on a walk-in basis, either. You'll have to set up an appointment. Would you like me to do that for you?"

Me: "Sure. When is the first appointment I can get?"

Clerk: "May 27th."

Me: :facepalm:
Don't ya just Love it!?

DW and I went snow skiing for the day. Second time this season for me and fourth time for DW. Conditions were good, a little soft from half-way down the mountain to the bottom but nice and firm up top. The beauty of spring skiing - no ice - didn't hit a patch of ice all day. Skied in jeans with windpants, a flannel shirt and a fleece. Boy though, I am out of shape. We did some small bumps and I was tuckered. Good day overall though.

We have two or three tickets to use between now and the end of the season, which will be in 3-4 weeks for most of the resorts.

Retrieved my Ariens snow thrower from the shop. $272. Then ran the engine dry and drained the fuel tank.

Apparently to replace the friction disc they have to practically disassemble the entire thing by "removing all gears and shafts". That's why I didn't do it - I'd probably have gone in there anyway with a basket full of parts.

Oh well, at least everything works well and it's in good shape for the next time. Which, after last winter, will hopefully be a few years.

Got a hair cut, renewed my Texas State Parks Pass over at the lake, went for a 3 mile walk in shorts for the first time this year, and answered some emails from work.

Prep work for a whole house window replacement tomorrow. We have some of the earliest double-pane windows made installed in the house, and every single one has had a seal failure. Time to cut 'em out and install something that we can see through...

This will be interesting.

Please keep us posted on this. I'm researching windows for our house as well. Lots of scammers out there, I really want to make sure I get this right.

Prep work for a whole house window replacement tomorrow. We have some of the earliest double-pane windows made installed in the house, and every single one has had a seal failure. Time to cut 'em out and install something that we can see through...

This will be interesting.
Now you'll have to keep your windows clean ;)

Day 2 of RE. My head understands I'm not going to have to log into the office, but heart or gut doesn't, yet. Kinda weird. Worked on renovations: 2 coats charcoal colored paint on new six panel doors in lower level. Love it! Did happy dance. Got hungry after the painting, so we ate really early, and am surfing early, too (usually I surf the web in bed after DH is asleep). I don't think RE is what is impacting my schedule as much as doing renovations, since I tend to keep going until I finish something, but who knows?

Yesterday we went to see "Noah". I won't say anything about the film because I don't want to spoil it for anyone who doesn't know how it ends. :)

Thought I understood your post until I saw "Noah" yesterday, interesting.

Great thing, it counted as 2 hours of visual rehab.
MRG

Ran some errands during rain lull; sump pump running all day.

Communicated with Gary concerning Florida home improvements: sink sprayer fixed, septic tank pumped out; next is new noseeums screens for outdoor room.

Brought my tax stuff to the acct, bought some new woodworking chisels and a nice piece of cherry, and picked up the new floor tile for the bathroom remodel. A great day 1 of RE, except I drove by a job site and called the office with a report. I have to stop that kinda stuff

Finished my new workbench for the garage workshop. What a monster and with 4 drawers. Weighs a ton and it's ready to move into place.

Took plans from Family Handyman magazine. About $200 in lumber, screws, trim and polyurethane. :cool:
Now for shelves, racks and to hard pipe compressed air to a central location.

Put summer tires on my car.

Finished my new workbench for the garage workshop. What a monster and with 4 drawers. Weighs a ton and it's ready to move into place.

Took plans from Family Handyman magazine. About $200 in lumber, screws, trim and polyurethane. :cool:
Now for shelves, racks and to hard pipe compressed air to a central location.
But will you use it? Or will it be too pretty to be used? It sure is pretty!

But will you use it? Or will it be too pretty to be used? It sure is pretty!

Yes, I will use it.

I believe I will cover the top with some rubber or vinyl covering about 1/16" thick. The top is removable if I decide to ruin it, however!:LOL:

Please keep us posted on this. I'm researching windows for our house as well. Lots of scammers out there, I really want to make sure I get this right.

Well, a crew of a dozen folks swept through the house, and replaced 17 windows and a sliding door in 5 1/2 hours. The results actually look really good.

The installation option we selected kept the original aluminum frames in place, and inset the new windows and frames within the remains of the old window frame. This has the drawback of giving us windows inset within a frame that's about 2 inches wide all around the window, so the actual glass is smaller. It has the advantage of not disturbing the waterproofing integrity of the existing frame, flashing, and moisture barrier under the stucco finish of the house.

The other options available involved 'pulling' the frame, effectively ripping it loose from the flashing, and leaving no real seal where water moving within the stucco reaches the ripped end of the moisture barrier, sawing most of the exposed part of the aluminum frame out and cutting the sills to insert a slightly larger window, again with some reduction in waterproofing that is partially compensated for with insane amounts of caulking, or using 'new construction' windows, sawing and hammering out the stucco to expose the window nail fin, and tearing back the moisture barrier so the new window nail fin can be set on the wood and flashed (more or less) properly. (This costs much more than the inset replacement we went with.)

The sliding door replacement used a new construction door, so there was much sawing and hammering out of the stucco. The new door was nailed in, reflashed, and re-stuccoed with a texture coat that pretty much matched the house. Casing (mouldings) were put on the inside to cover the banged up wallboard where the old door was pulled.

We got three estimates. The company we chose was a local one with a pretty good reputation, and happened to be the low bidder. The high bidder, BTW, was 35% higher, and had... oddly consistent... reviews on Yelp, which the salesman was quite proud of.

We checked the contractor license and insurance on the California license board's web site. There's one interesting bit of information we gleaned there. Some of the window replacement businesses didn't have (or need) insurance coverage, because they have NO EMPLOYEES. We ruled these right out. Either they were subcontracting to a real contractor, or the owner was going to show up on work day with a crew he found in the Home Depot parking lot. Either way, no thanks.

Sweet looking bench, too pretty to actually build something on :). Nice job, you look to be quite the "Family Handyman"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom