Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #10941
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I pulled out a fresh box of Kleenex out to carry me for the duration of this cold bug Mr B gave me.
I talked to a friend in FL for over an hour. I made tentative plans for early October to go visit in the Daytona Beach area.
Then I made a killer BLT club sandwich. See the Container Gardening thread for details.
Container Gardening

The weather is gorgeous today. Perhaps some exercise will improve take my mind off the cold symptoms.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #10942
Moderator Emeritus

I haven't done a freakin' thing today except read websites and write blog posts. I've been re-reading the latest Jim Butcher/Harry Dresden book for about the fourth time, and knowing the ending makes the first 300+ pages even better.

Earlier this week I sent the book royalty check to our Fidelity charitable gift fund and designated the grants to Wounded Warrior Project & Fisher House. Today I got the confirmation that the grants went out, so next week I"ll send an e-mail to the staffs.

Maybe later on today I'll catch up on some financial data entry & paperwork. Or maybe not.

I smile every time I hear our old (repaired) icemaker dump another load in the freezer. I'm going to return the new one tomorrow.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #10943
Give me a forum ...

Played my Thursday golf group. While we played from the greens instead of the whites (not sure why) I did have my second best round of the season. I should have broken 90 but the wheels came off a little on the 18th and I ended up with a 92.

Got home and went for a jet ski ride and later took a boat ride around the lake with DW. Nice day.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:58 AM   #10944

We took a trunkload of FIL's books to the used book store and stopped on the way back to pick up a prescription. The one person in front of me at the counter had this printed on the back of her shirt:

"became a 3:00 AM bailout call and a souvenir mug shot. June 24-29th, 1012"

Not exactly what I'd have printed on the back of my shirt.

Well, this is West Virginia after all.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:08 AM   #10945

Went to BIL's retirement party at Sandy Point state park in MD, near Annapolis. The rain and wind started about the time we arrived. They had a pavilion so that was fine but we could only use 2/3 of it because the wind blew rain in one end.

He retired after nearly 40 years as a machinist for P.E.P.Co., the electric company for the DC area. Weather notwithstanding we had a good time. DW's grandniece was starting to feel the chill in a couple of hours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jim_retirement-1.jpg (114.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Jim_retirement-2.jpg (76.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 08-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #10946
Moderator Emeritus

The last few parts I had ordered arrived, so I finished assembling the structured wiring panel in the garage, and moved our phone, Internet, and TV service onto the new wiring. Gigabit Ethernet everywhere! Which of course makes out 1.2 Mbit EarthLink DSL ever so much snappier... (It's the fastest they will provide; I tried calling and offering to throw more money at them)

The bandwidth is mostly "because I could", along with being handy for using our media server.

The structured wiring is nice for future-proofing. If needed I can switch the supplier of Internet, phone, or TV trivially now. I added a shelf with power just below the wiring panel specifically to hold modems, cable interfaces, or U-Verse boxes, with a short cable chase from the shelf to the panel.

So, the real question is "What will I do tomorrow?"
Old 08-28-2012, 12:32 AM   #10947
Give me a forum ...

Went to the beach, making 7 straight days. Storing up mental images of bikini babes to carry me through winter.

Boy, so many of these pretty young women have tatoos, and big ones too.

Ha
Old 08-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #10948
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Today light workout at the Y. No sauna, last week work was done on the pool, on refill and re-start they burned out the pumps. The sauna is in the pool area, when pool is closed so is the sauna, yecch.

Resting up from work at the camp. Where I removed and dismantled an power distribution pole and platform. The date code on the pole is Feb 1940. The platforms were 1/2" angle iron. Heavy stuff poles were 40 foot tall. Removal improved the view.

In one pole there were many ant colonies, nearly 25 feet up. They were most unhappy about having to move out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0485.jpg (852.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0487.jpg (969.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0489.jpg (977.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0488.jpg (1.01 MB, 7 views)
Old 08-28-2012, 05:32 PM   #10949

A swim in the early morning, then a visit to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation visitor center late morning for a tour. Very interesting what they are funding and how they determine what to support.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:37 PM   #10950
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Today light workout at the Y. No sauna, last week work was done on the pool, on refill and re-start they burned out the pumps. The sauna is in the pool area, when pool is closed so is the sauna, yecch.

Resting up from work at the camp. Where I removed and dismantled an power distribution pole and platform. The date code on the pole is Feb 1940. The platforms were 1/2" angle iron. Heavy stuff poles were 40 foot tall. Removal improved the view.

In one pole there were many ant colonies, nearly 25 feet up. They were most unhappy about having to move out.
That would have made a great place to hang your block and tackle to kill and dress your own beef.

Ha
Old 08-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #10951

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
That would have made a great place to hang your block and tackle to kill and dress your own beef.

Ha
From my childhood memories that spells a four letter word: W*RK! Besides all the black bears and coyotes would show up for scraps.

I do have other poles left for hoisting deer. But I'll let the hunters take care of the dirty work, just collect my percentage in nicely wrapped venison.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #10952
Give me a forum ...

Just got back from 2 days up at a friend's camp. I have helped him and his daughter with the weeding in their 40 foot greenhouse on several occasions, so I was given a nice full bag of fresh tomatoes, cukes, Swiss chard, and Anaheim peppers. It was like going to a farmer's market, except no money was needed. Talk about LBYM!
My friend and his next door neightbor are going to borrow a trailer and come retrieve my broken John Deere tractor tomorrow. They are both very experienced mechanics. They have a w*rking engine from another lawn tractor with a broken axle. I refused an offer for money, asking instead for fresh salmon when they go fishing. What a deal I'm getting!
Mr B is back in college full time for the last semester. He's having a bit of trouble getting motivated, but I keep reminding him that this is the final stretch and will be well worth it. I'll play cheerleader and keep him going.

I hope everyone affected by Isaac is safe and sound.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #10953
Recycles dryer sheets

I spent today homeschooling my kids, doing a few touch up jobs around our beach house...and...surfing for 3 hours.

How do you like them apples? :-)

--AIR
Old 08-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #10954
Moderator Emeritus

Second-best surfing lesson!

My latest student stood up on a wave today for a few seconds. It's taken her a tremendous amount of effort to get this far, and it's paying off.

I finally realized today that she doesn't enjoy getting smacked in the face with the splash when she's paddling out through a wave. I showed her how to do a pushup on the board as she rode over it-- much better. After that it was just a matter of waiting for the right wave and a good push.

We had a bodysurfer show up right after last week's session:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1719.JPG (481.6 KB, 4 views)

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:19 AM   #10955
Full time employment: Posting here.

Started physical therapy in the base pool yesterday and got a pretty good workout. I'm pretty stiff this morning so it going to be tough getting back in the pool today but this needs to be a regular morning schedule.

Last night I was on an Eagle Scout review board for my next door neighbor's son. What a great experience. I felt very honored that he asked me. He is an amazing young man in so many ways and gives me hope for the future generation.

Cheers!
Old 08-31-2012, 04:59 PM   #10956

Grilled some marinated chicken. Took a picture of it. Ate one for breakfast. Mmm....

Went for an hour motorcycle ride, came home because it was uncomfortably hot.

Made a grocery store run, cashed in my 40 cents off/gallon gasoline, and I was going to mow the "back 40" but the temperature was 99 degrees so said the heck with that. I'll do it tomorrow AM. Wrote the check for the house insurance.

I'm done doing anything else useful today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grilled_chicken.jpg (152.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-31-2012, 06:14 PM   #10957

That chicken looks delicious.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:46 PM   #10958
Give me a forum ...

I fixed my chain saw. After much cajoling, the electric utility dropped 5 large, dead ash trees in my back yard and I was busily cutting them up when it crapped out. It is the smallest Stihl, which means the carburetor has teeny, tiny passages and jets that can plug easily. The first time that I disassembled it, I blew out the passages with compressed air, but no joy. Second time, I used carb cleaner and that did the trick.

Interestingly, I found a good video on YouTube to explain the whole process. It is always worth searching.

Posted the free wood on Craigslist and got a guy out here in 1/2 hour, but it was over 90* F, and he loaded less than half and slunk off. Oh well, I'll haul some more wood when it cools off and re-post. Lots of people around here heat with wood.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:49 PM   #10959
Moderator Emeritus

I'm getting ready to travel to the Mainland next week, and my "To Do" list keeps getting longer.

Oboy, "Finish 2011 tax returns" is up next.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:33 PM   #10960
Give me a forum ...

I went to get a haircut at my favorite shop, as I will be embarking on a month-long RV trip soon. As the crowd comes back to work after the holiday, I will hit the road. The missus already exchanged our timeshare for a week at a resort at the destination, just like our last trip to Banff in June.

Just resting a bit before going out back to cook my steak.

Tomorrow, I will start prepping the RV, like sanitizing the fresh water tank, checking tire pressures, etc... Been debating whether I should drain the AT fluid and refill with Dexron VI. MH only got 37,000 mi. but I've read that the new ATF may improve the gas mileage some, relative to the old Dexron III. Any little thing that curbs the thirst of this gas guzzler will pay big dividends, I tell you.

Life is so good, I can't believe it.