Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #11001
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
FinCon 12 would be neat to attend. When I ER I dream of broadening my mind by going to this sort of event, or music festivals. Just because I want to.
I met Philip Taylor last year at USAA's blogger conference, so he made a point of inviting all of our group. (We all paid $149 for our tickets. No comping here unless you're a top-10 rock star and a speaker.) I'm interested in seeing how people are earning their revenue. The gold-rush days might be tapering off, but there's still plenty of serious money being made out there. The entrepreneurial spirit in the hotel's hallways will probably be thick enough to cut with a chainsaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
The problem is, you just have to devote the time to these projects, or they won't get done. That is, unless you are ER.....
Nah, you just find more creative ways to blow them off.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2012, 01:25 AM   #11002
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My little doggie was put to rest today oops...yesterday .

The vet and his assistant were so good to her and me. Dx was cancer. She went from bipping around 1.5 weeks ago to struggling to do the basics.
I checked her Humane Society adoption papers...she was 13 years 8 months old.
Little Miss Lijah fought the good fight. She rallied to my voice and loving touch. Not a human by any means, but a very tough little dog.
I want to go the way she did...classical music, nice soft bed, cool cloths to soothe, her best friend (me) keeping vigil, getting my ears scratched and back rubbed, and being told I was a Good Dog.

Peace to Miss L, aka Rocket Dog.

Out of sadness...beauty can always emerge.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:35 AM   #11003
Full time employment: Posting here.

Very beautiful post, Freebird. Miss Lijah was extremely to have you.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #11004
Give me a forum ...

I'm sorry for your loss freebird. She was lucky to be adopted by you and you were lucky to have her in your life, but parting is always so hard. You did the right thing.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #11005
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just a big
{{{{HUG}}}}

for you. And Mr. B, too, for going through this with you.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #11006

Freebird, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to lose a beloved pet.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #11007
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
My little doggie was put to rest today
I am so sorry for your loss, Freebird. Releasing your special Miss L was the ultimate act of love.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #11008
Give me a forum ...

Seems appropriate...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 09-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #11009
Give me a forum ...

First day of classes in the new school year. What did I do? More important is the answer to this question, "What didn't I do?" Go to Work!!!
Old 09-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #11010
Give me a forum ...

Inhale, exhale...and forward I go.

I spent today in a nice quiet way. Mr B did his reading and homework, and I did a lot of little things around the house. Tomorrow is my 54th birthday. ok ok no rotten tomatoes from the 54+ crowd
Mr B has a full day planned for me. I want to go to Red Lobster for Endless Shrimp, assuming they offer that on the lunch menu. If not, maybe Chinese buffet will be Plan B. Or Greek. Or Mexican...decisions decisions.

Then we're going to hit several Legions (that we regularly volunteer at) for a free drink. I'm not proud.

Finishing up the day will be helping do food for a pitch tournament. I'll be on 24 hour reponsibility break , but Mr B is not.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #11011
Give me a forum ...

Happy Birthday Freebird & have a great day ! Today I threw LBYM to the wind and had a spa day . It was great .I really need to do this more often .
Old 09-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #11012
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825
Inhale, exhale...and forward I go.

I spent today in a nice quiet way. Mr B did his reading and homework, and I did a lot of little things around the house. Tomorrow is my 54th birthday. ok ok no rotten tomatoes from the 54+ crowd
Mr B has a full day planned for me. I want to go to Red Lobster for Endless Shrimp, assuming they offer that on the lunch menu. If not, maybe Chinese buffet will be Plan B. Or Greek. Or Mexican...decisions decisions.

Then we're going to hit several Legions (that we regularly volunteer at) for a free drink. I'm not proud.

Finishing up the day will be helping do food for a pitch tournament. I'll be on 24 hour reponsibility break , but Mr B is not.
Young whippersnapper! I just hit 58 a couple of weeks ago, and I've never felt betttttttttttttttt......

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 09-05-2012, 11:06 PM   #11013

Had my 2000 Honda Odyssey in for major maintenance. They found stuff that needed attention, which blew my budget far beyond even Hurricane Issac's reach.

In the end, they changed the timing belt, water pump, tensioners, front engine mount, flushed radiator, changed transmission fluid, and rear brake shoes. Oh, I had them do an oil change as well.

At least the rotors and front brake pads didn't have to be changed. Dodged a bullet there.

Might be interesting to find out how much this would have cost in various parts of the country. Here in Northern California, set me back $1650.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #11014

Freedbird: I too am sorry for your loss, but I agree that would be a good way to go. I hope that you have a very Happy Birthday!
Old 09-07-2012, 06:45 AM   #11015

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Little Miss Lijah fought the good fight. She rallied to my voice and loving touch. Not a human by any means, but a very tough little dog.
Freebird, so sorry about your loss but sounds like you did all you could to make her so comfortable! Our oldest dog is nearly 12 and starting to slow down a lot so know we'll be at this point in the not too distant future.

We lost one of our alpacas (Leonardo) on Monday morning. On Friday of last week, he got his head stuck between a wagon and fence for a while and was stressed. Vet looked him over and he was doing well, up and running, eating, playing, etc. by Saturday. On Monday morning, I found him dead in the barn so not clear what happened at this point. He was our little guy that had been bottle fed for a number of months after he was born, about 10 months old.

(No need to read further if you don't want any details) Vet performed a necropsy here at our place before we buried Leo on a hill behind our pasture. (DW and I watched to learn and it was quite an experience, needless to say). DW and I had both decided before the vet arrived to not watch but after he was there and ready to start, we felt compelled to see if we could learn something for next time. Our vet was wonderful, spent a lot of time explaining what we were seeing, what was normal, what would be considered abnormal, etc. He's a new vet, just starting up his practice in the area for large animals and had met him at an alpaca farm a month or so ago. We will definitely recommend him to others, both for his knowledge as well as his manner.

Our concern is for the other alpacas in case there was something contagous. Nothing obvious from the visual exam other than an abundance of fluid in the body cavity that shouldn't have been there and some fibrous tissues in a couple of the organs, the test results are from several samples are due back next week.

From what we understand, alpacas can get stressed and sometimes have reactions well beyond what you might think is normal but the vet was as surprised as we were given how he had come back so well on Saturday. We'll miss this little guy and now we're in over reaction mode, checking the barn every 2 hours to make sure the five other guys are okay. Hopefully we'll get an answer but after some investigation of my alpaca resources, this isn't unheard of but will wait and see.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:48 AM   #11016

When I got home last night I noticed the house seemed a bit humid, although the A/C fan was running. When I put my hand over one of the vents there was no air coming out.

Uh oh, that's not good. I have an idea what would cause that.

Went downstairs to look at the evaporator lines and yup, the high side line is iced up. Same outside. Turned off the A/C and let the fan run to melt the ice on the evaporator and started looking up information on Consumer Reports' web site about reliable A/C manufacturers. It's clear we're in the market for a new one since this is the once that came with the house and is now ten years old. Although the leak can possibly be fixed, I wouldn't bet on it lasting for long.

So in 20 minutes or so I'm going to be on the phone with a couple of A/C contractors getting estimates.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #11017

Sitting in Vegas at my sister in law's house when I should be more than halfway back to Texas in our cross country move.

Movers had just pulled away from our empty house and we were about to get in the car and head out when we got an emergency call from SIL. She ended up having to go to the hospital. She's back home now but unable to drive so we took her kids to school today.

Don't know yet how this is going to all work out since she has no other family here but we have to be in TX on Tuesday to receive our stuff at the new house...Murphy has undoubtedly struck on this occasion!
Old 09-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #11018
Give me a forum ...

My body is absorbing 4 skewers plus a small dish of Endless Shrimp today. I got my money's worth at Red Lobster yesterday. I had quite a few free beers at the Legion while Mr B made pizzer. Then he had to run to conduct a meeting elsewhere, so I hung out and visited with some folks I had not seen in months. I left my car in the parking lot overnight.

Right now I am keeping my 2nd dog company while Mr B gets the 92 Honda exhaust system fixed downtown. I have the 1970s digital cable music station going.
I made some farfalle (bowtie pasta) and cheese for lunch. I'm starting to go through the upstairs freezer and use up anything dated Sep 2011 or later. I came across some small portions of leftover meat for future soups this winter.

Mr B will most likely want to go out tonight but I think I will just hang out.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #11019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
When I got home last night I noticed the house seemed a bit humid, although the A/C fan was running. When I put my hand over one of the vents there was no air coming out.

Uh oh, that's not good. I have an idea what would cause that.

Went downstairs to look at the evaporator lines and yup, the high side line is iced up. Same outside. Turned off the A/C and let the fan run to melt the ice on the evaporator and started looking up information on Consumer Reports' web site about reliable A/C manufacturers. It's clear we're in the market for a new one since this is the once that came with the house and is now ten years old. Although the leak can possibly be fixed, I wouldn't bet on it lasting for long.

So in 20 minutes or so I'm going to be on the phone with a couple of A/C contractors getting estimates.
My HVAC contractor tells me that most leaks occur in the evaporator coil, where the tubing makes 180 degree turns on each end. If you see copper oxide there, there is a leak. This is fresh on my mind -- replaced one yesterday. We were without AC in the main zone from Saturday until Thursday. It got up to 93 inside the house.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #11020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Happy Birthday Freebird & have a great day ! Today I threw LBYM to the wind and had a spa day . It was great .I really need to do this more often .
Oh geez. I avoided massages and stuff like that for so long. DW talked me into getting a couples massage. Think Im hooked. Keep that on the down low..