Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #11021
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had to move all my container plants indoors in the face of 2 fast moving fronts predicted to have large hail, strong winds, and possible property damage (Yay NWS!). Buffalo got it the worst, we had gusts up to 50 mph, and now portions of the Catskills and metro NYC are the next target. I'm OK but a lot of central NY communities have large trees down and hail damage. Ouch.

So anyway, I harvested some Banana and Jalapeno peppers. The longer banana peppers are very hot when red. I took a small taste of a red one and had to eat cheese and lemon pudding to put the fire out. Wooooooooo

I got creative with my harvest while the storm moved through here.

Don't Play With Your Food!!!

Well, I guess I never listened too well as a child.

I have them strung for drying and grinding for a smidge of hot pepper taste when cooking. I'm a little leaguer when it comes to hot peppers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PepperSpiralFix.jpg (171.4 KB, 0 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #11022

After being away for a week visiting family in PA, I've been in catchup mode. Today felt like a typical Saturday from my w*rking days. Planned to Roundup a weed filled bed but it was too windy. Pulled a few nasty weeds then moved to inside tasks. Planned to install weatherstrip on the attic stairs but found there was no frame to seal. Found an insulation "tent" at Home Depot. Stopped at the farmers market on the way home Took 5 minutes to put in place. Wish I'd done it when we moved in. Took the paper pile over to the school for recycling. Inventoried the pile in the garage and took it to Goodwill. Caught up with things online. Cooked a crab pasta dinner using the fruits of the market. Sat down to watch the NASCAR race only to find it is rain delayed. Time to knit. Life is good!

Old 09-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #11023
Moderator Emeritus

Went out for lunch, to the Ghirardelli Chocolate Festival. Lunch was chocolate, chocolate brownies, chocolate vodka, chocolate truffles, Belgian chocolate gelato, chocolate shortbread, chocolate bread pudding, and chocolate infused red wine.

I don't think I need dinner... What's for dessert?
Old 09-09-2012, 01:28 AM   #11024
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Voted in Hong Kong's elections.

Since "none of the above" wasn't on the ballot forms, I voted against the candidates whom I found most irritating.

Seriously thinking of de-registering as a voter to cut down the amount of electoral spam that hits my in-box and my mail-box.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #11025
Give me a forum ...

Lesssseeeeee...
I wanted to go boating but the weather was a bit iffy. It's finally cool enough for me to go on the boat without overheating from hot flashes in mid 80s temps.
I made sauce from homegrown tomatoes.
I trimmed back and downright eliminated some aging indoor/outdoor plants. I planted more snow peas, Swiss chard, green onions and carrots in Earthboxes for a late fall/early winter indoor harvest. I still have the most tender plants inside my enclosed porch. Cool night time temps (40s) are predicted for the next day or so.
I ordered some mung beans for sprouting. I already have a sprouter, long unused. I am tired of paying way too much for them in a can. I use them for pork fried rice, a favorite of Mr B's.
I watched baseball with Mr B. booo Yankees
I'm getting ready for another 3 day beach camp trip up north to Lake Ontario.
Mr B has a ton of studying to do over the next week.

All in all a productive day.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #11026
Give me a forum ...

Football, Football and more Football (all OTA Free TV )
Old 09-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #11027
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Football, Football and more Football (all OTA Free TV )
Spandex Season...wooooo

The only game being broadcast on my cable service is SF and GB. Great teams but it really annoys me that I have exactly 1 choice to watch per game time slot (FOX).

I like this final score for Jets vs Buffalo.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=320909020
Old 09-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #11028

Finished the move back to Texas from Vegas today. Knew I was home when my nose started itching from the ragweed.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #11029

Well, I'm a day late in this post but want to tell you what I did yesterday. Saturday was out 40th wedding anniversary. Our son came up from Naples and our daughter had made plans to have a family photograph made which we never had before. After that we went to dinner at our club, just our immediate family. It was a great day for all and we enjoyed having son and daughter together as it only happens a couple times a year. Son stayed overnight and then drove to Alphereta, GA. to visit his daughter.
It was just a great day for us as we enjoy family more than anything. Hope the next 40 years go as well as the first 40.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #11030
Give me a forum ...

After a late start, just puttering, I went to Penticton for the afternoon. It was a beautiful day, 27 degrees C. While walking on the beach, I looked north up the lake and saw smoke between the mountains. A wildfire. It has been a quiet wildfire season. On my drive north towards home, I passed under the fire at Peachland about 2 1/2 hours ago. The highway has since been closed. There are water bomber aircraft and helicopters dumping water and retardant on the fire, but it's windy and apparently has spread rapidly. One home has already been lost. I live approximately 10 Km away but I am concerned as there was a huge fire across the lake in 2003 and it spread like.....wildfire. I think I'll pack an emergency tote now in case my area is evacuated.

B.C. wildfire forces evacuation of 1,500 people - British Columbia - CBC News
Old 09-10-2012, 12:01 AM   #11031

Yesterday I drove down to Olympia with my mom to check out two houses I saw on the MLS website. Sale of my house should be closing two weeks from tomorrow, so I can really start looking in earnest. One of the houses was a bank repo and vacant, so I had a good snoop around. The other house is still occupied, so I just drove by. The first house needs a lot of work, but the asking price is well under the total I will have available. The poor thing has been mistreated and needs some affection. It's the right size (just under 700 sq ft) and a very convenient location just up the block from a grocery store and many more conveniences within biking distance on flat terrain, but I need more info and a look inside to see if I want to take it on. The second house is priced right up around my budget amount, but didn't look as if it needed much done to it.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:12 AM   #11032
Give me a forum ...

I played in our family golf tournament over the weekend - it was the 49th year. I played ok on Saturday and ended the day in a 3 way tie for the lead so I was in the last group on Sunday. After the 14th hole on Sunday I though I was out of it and resigned myself to just having fun the last 4 holes. I birdied the 15th, bogied the 16th, pared the 17 and doubled the 18th and called my wife when we got back to the clubhouse and told her it wasn't going to be me this year but I thought it would be between her brothers. About 5 minutes later after they crunched the numbers, I was informed that I won by 1 stroke.

Last won in 1999 so it has been a while.

Now I get to be the host for next year's tournament - 50th year.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #11033
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
Since "none of the above" wasn't on the ballot forms, I voted against the candidates whom I found most irritating.
Been doing that since 1972 (Nixon v. McGovern)...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 09-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #11034

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Well, I'm a day late in this post but want to tell you what I did yesterday. Saturday was out 40th wedding anniversary. Our son came up from Naples and our daughter had made plans to have a family photograph made which we never had before. After that we went to dinner at our club, just our immediate family. It was a great day for all and we enjoyed having son and daughter together as it only happens a couple times a year. Son stayed overnight and then drove to Alphereta, GA. to visit his daughter.
It was just a great day for us as we enjoy family more than anything. Hope the next 40 years go as well as the first 40.
Happy Anniversary!!!! Sounds like a wonderful day indeed. Wishing you many, many more years together!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 09-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #11035

Ditto on the anniversary wishes! Our 19th is on the 18th (that somehow sounds weird) and we plan to celebrate with a trip to see my sister and her family in Vermont for a long weekend.

Nice that your kids came to celebrate with you; my parents' 50th was last year and my sister and I put together a nice party for them.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:15 PM   #11036

Smoked a 15lb brisket, 3 whole chickens (of which only 2 1/2 are left now ), 11 large chicken thighs and 18 or 19 chicken legs. Tomorrow I'll slice the brisket and pull the meat off of the whole chickens and package it all in FoodSaver bags for freezing -- in two or three meal sizes for me and the DW. There is another brisket in a cryovac bag aging in the fridge for another such project, probably in a couple of weeks. This should get us to 2013, at least as far as brisket and smoked chicken are concerned. We like our protein, and we balance with other stuff.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:01 AM   #11037
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
After a late start, just puttering, I went to Penticton for the afternoon. It was a beautiful day, 27 degrees C. While walking on the beach, I looked north up the lake and saw smoke between the mountains. A wildfire. It has been a quiet wildfire season. On my drive north towards home, I passed under the fire at Peachland about 2 1/2 hours ago. The highway has since been closed. There are water bomber aircraft and helicopters dumping water and retardant on the fire, but it's windy and apparently has spread rapidly. One home has already been lost. I live approximately 10 Km away but I am concerned as there was a huge fire across the lake in 2003 and it spread like.....wildfire. I think I'll pack an emergency tote now in case my area is evacuated.

B.C. wildfire forces evacuation of 1,500 people - British Columbia - CBC News
I have unpacked my emergency kit.

This fire was up to Rank 5

Fire Rank - Wildfire Management Branch - Ministry of Forests and Range - Province of British Columbia

but it is now 75% contained.The threat is over and many people are being allowed to return to the area. Firefighters did an awesome job. Four houses were lost. No-one was injured. It could have been so much worse, like 2003....

Okanagan Mountain Park Fire.

They have learnt a lot since then.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #11038
Give me a forum ...

I have a bad tooth. It's been bothering me intermittently but now it is full time. I suspect a cracked filling. I will go Tuesday AM at the dentist to get the Dx and Fx.
I can chew but it aggravates the tooth from being a dull ache to full blown ouchiness. My diet is mashed potatoes with cheese, yogurt, and soup. Maybe I'll have a better Wed weigh-in this week.
I have 8 lbs of chicken wings in the oven and homemade BBQ sauce simmering on the stovetop. A combined September birthday party for several folks (including me) is going on at the VFW tonight. I'll go for a little while to deliver the food and see how I feel. I wonder what food, if any, I'll be able to chew there.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #11039
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I have a bad tooth. It's been bothering me intermittently but now it is full time. I suspect a cracked filling. I will go Tuesday AM at the dentist to get the Dx and Fx.
I can chew but it aggravates the tooth from being a dull ache to full blown ouchiness. My diet is mashed potatoes with cheese, yogurt, and soup. Maybe I'll have a better Wed weigh-in this week.
I have 8 lbs of chicken wings in the oven and homemade BBQ sauce simmering on the stovetop. A combined September birthday party for several folks (including me) is going on at the VFW tonight. I'll go for a little while to deliver the food and see how I feel. I wonder what food, if any, I'll be able to chew there.

Ouch. Sorry to hear about the bad tooth. I had my own experience with a bad tooth (underneath a crown) about 16 months ago.

What I found which helped temporarily easing the pain was gargling with salt water.

Eventually, I cried uncle and had what was left of the tooth pulled, then had dental implant done. I was ready to empy my wallet to ease the agony.

Hope your bad tooth doesn't get too bad before you see your dentist on Tuesday.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #11040
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Ouch. Sorry to hear about the bad tooth. I had my own experience with a bad tooth (underneath a crown) about 16 months ago.
What I found which helped temporarily easing the pain was gargling with salt water.
Eventually, I cried uncle and had what was left of the tooth pulled, then had dental implant done. I was ready to empy my wallet to ease the agony.
Hope your bad tooth doesn't get too bad before you see your dentist on Tuesday.
I think I'll have better results with Coors Lite or maybe a shot of blackberry brandy.

Thanks. It's more an annoyance as long as I don't chew anything solid. 400 mg Ibuprofen is doing the trick until my dentist appt.