Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #11161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Congrats on a relatively easy fix. Other than the one time I had a broken PVC pipe between the holding tank and the pressure pump, my well repairs have all involved replacing pumps.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2012, 11:06 PM   #11162
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette
We did our annual run to Apple Hill today. BBQ tri-tip sandwiches for lunch, and apple pie, apple turnovers, and apple donuts for dessert. Oh, and there's now a big ole apple pie in the freezer to be baked for Thanksgiving. :-)
Used to belong to Madrona winery up there. Good wine.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #11163
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Mr B and I bought five 2 lb butterflied boneless lamb pieces for an excellent price when we were in NH in Septmber.
I intend to grind at least one up and make some homemade gyro (pronounced (h)yeer-oh) meat. I don't own a rotisserie but I have a few ideas for making it in the convection over. Frequent spraying with basting juice will be key to keeping it moist.
I just need to find the recipe for the spices for gyro meat. These look pretty good at first glance.
Traditional Gyro Meat Recipe - Allrecipes.com
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1761...252199,00.html
I would have thought someone who's 1/2 Greek would be making gyro all the time.

I remember watching an episode of "Good Eats" where Alton Brown showed how to make gyro meat with a regular BBQ. Just searched the Web, and found it. The episode title mimics a popular movie: My Big Fat Greek Sandwich : Good Eats : Food Network. Besides the recipe, there's also a shortened video clip of the episode.

I thought I would try it, but have not. We usually go to a Greek restaurant whenever we feel a craving for gyro. One of these days I may try to make it.

PS. Just recently, we got our fix of duck confit at a restaurant in SF, so the urge to learn to make my own has subsided for a while.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #11164
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I would have thought someone who's 1/2 Greek would be making gyro all the time.

I remember watching an episode of "Good Eats" where Alton Brown showed how to make gyro meat with a regular BBQ. Just searched the Web, and found it. The episode title mimics a popular movie: My Big Fat Greek Sandwich : Good Eats : Food Network. Besides the recipe, there's also a shortened video clip of the episode.
So where was the Windex ? I can't believe Alton passed on that joke from the movie.

TY so much for that link. I used to watch Alton all the time. Some of his zanier episodes were a hoot to watch.

I just printed out the recipe and added the link in a calendar reminder for myself. I liked the post-cooking brick trick when using a conventional oven to cook the gyro meat. Pretty slick!
Old 10-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #11165
Give me a forum ...

Today I rested. I was up until 230 AM.

Last night, I went to a local watering hole for a few brewskis while Mr B took his midterm. I ran into some folks I knew from younger days of stopping there for a beer and pizza and wings for takeout after w*rk.
5 of us watched the debate. No commentary on the debate shall leave my lips. However, it was very interesting to people watch while that was on the TV.
I had a nice buzz on, so Mr B picked me up on his way home. I had a craving for homemade tacos, the kind where you quickly fry soft white/yellow corn tortillas and fill them with meat, cheese, and chopped mild hot peppers. Woooo
I didn't want to get night burps, so I stayed up for a few hours, surfing and writing emails.

This afternoon, while Mr B studied for midterm number 2, I made an apple crumb coffee cake to use up 3 apples leftover from a 5 lb bag of fresh NY Macoun apples. Mr B probably will NOT share that with his morning coffee buddies at the Legion.
So I will make something else for him to bring to the clache. Something with fruit and phyllo dough. Hmmm...better go google that.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #11166
Give me a forum ...

Just saw this on the tube...if you love classic horror movies, Turner Classic Movie channel is showing vintage films every Wed night in October.
Get the DVR programmed! It's on now!

First up...1958 version of Horror of Dracula

check out the original movie poster, courtesy of imdb.com.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051554/
Old 10-17-2012, 06:24 PM   #11167
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I used to watch Alton all the time. Some of his zanier episodes were a hoot to watch.
Up until I was 45, I did not cook anything other than boiling eggs or pouring hot water into instant ramen nooddle cups. Then, I discovered that cooking was fun too. Prior to that, I never paid much attention to the culinary art, as I always thought that a gentleman ate to live, not lived to eat. How dumb I was! Both extremes were wrong.

It was not until seeing my late father no longer being able to eat, in fact not even to drink tea which he loved to do, that I was awakened up to the fact that food and the art of cooking were the joys in life that I missed until that point.

Alton Brown's shows were the inspiration for me to learn to cook. As an engineer, I've always loved to build or create things, and a cook does exactly the same. I am not good enough with cooking to create anything new and never will be, but getting involved with cooking even gets me to appreciate food or dishes in restaurants more.

One time, we were dining out with a friend of my wife. The friend invited me to a taste of her dish, and I said that there was a hint of cumin in it, despite my rather poor palate. She couldn't tell that it was cumin. I felt so smug!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #11168
Give me a forum ...

I pretty much hate cooking, but I like healthy and tasty eating, so except for when I have dinner at GFs, maybe 2x/week, I cook. Right now I am procrastinating getting started on dinner, and I am about half starved too.

Ha
Old 10-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #11169
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I pretty much hate cooking, but I like healthy and tasty eating, so except for when I have dinner at GFs, maybe 2x/week, I cook. Right now I am procrastinating getting started on dinner, and I am about half starved too.

Ha
Got oatmeal and raisins on hand ? Quick and dirty!
Old 10-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #11170
Full time employment: Posting here.

Today was one of those retirement days i love...the kind of day i would have called wasted a few years ago.
Awake at 8:15, read email and paper, drank rasberry zinger tea, went to gym, re-potted key lime tree. DH fixed lunch (assorted leftovers). Trip to grocery store, puttered around house, including project of Brasso-ing kitchen cabinet handles, worked on Precept bible study (which i am learning much from) on Ephesians, fixed salad for dinner.
I love cooking and enjoy it so much more since retiring. Today, i didn't do any. Going more plant-based these days, and that is causing more challenges. The new eating habits seemingly have taken care of stomach problems, so am determined to stick with it 80% of the time.

Getting ready for a yard sale...Friday & Saturday. This is the third yard sale we have had in 32 years of marriage. I put in the ad to please, please not show up before 8AM. I wanted to add that We are retired and need our sleep, but decided that might sound cantankerous, plus the extra characters in ad would cost an additional $2.00, lol.
We definitely have serious junky junk with which to part.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #11171
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Right now I am procrastinating getting started on dinner, and I am about half starved too.
Cooking for one is tough. When I cook, I particularly like to do it for a party. It does not take more work to cook for 6 or 8 than for 2. It is so easy to make too much for a single person. My mother lives by herself, and every so often, my sister would have to pay a visit and throw away the leftovers in her fridge.

If I lived by myself, I might just eat ramen noodle year round. Or I would make something very simple to avoid the hassle of preparing and cleaning up just to make small portions. Perhaps single persons living in a neighborhood should form a club to take turn cooking for the entire group.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #11172

Quote:
Cooking for one is tough. When I cook, I particularly like to do it for a party. It does not take more work to cook for 6 or 8 than for 2. It is so easy to make too much for a single person. My mother lives by herself, and every so often, my sister would have to pay a visit and throw away the leftovers in her fridge.

If I lived by myself, I might just eat ramen noodle year round. Or I would make something very simple to avoid the hassle of preparing and cleaning up just to make small portions. Perhaps single persons living in a neighborhood should form a club to take turn cooking for the entire group.
When I was single I dealt with this by cooking on Fri/Sat/Sun night... then rotating the leftovers for the rest of the week.
Good thing I like my own cooking. LOL

Heck - we still do this to an extent - during the work week (since I'm not retired yet) we do reheats at least half the time - but cook from scratch for the weekend meals.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #11173
Give me a forum ...

Talk about leftover, even cooking for 2, whether intentionally or not we more often than not have leftovers. I would be lying if I said that we always cooked something fresh each day.

My wife tends to cook larger portions than I do. She would say that it was to make it worthwhile. Getting tired of leftover was another good reason for me to step in and share some cooking to give her a break. I am also more willing to try something different and adventurous, while my wife makes mostly traditional home meals. It works out OK that way.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #11174
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

If I lived by myself, I might just eat ramen noodle year round. Or I would make something very simple to avoid the hassle of preparing and cleaning up just to make small portions.
Exactly. No ramen noodles here, but I am just about to grill a single portion of fish on my indoor grill. I bag chicken, fish, and meat in individual portions and freeze immediately upon returning from the grocery store.

I could start some rice in my rice maker, first, but don't feel like I need the carbs tonight. Instead, I'll just warm up some vegetables. That should about do it. Keeping things simple really helps, IMO. I don't see any sense in spending more time cooking dinner than it takes to eat it, unless cooking for a family.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 10-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #11175
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't see any sense in spending more time cooking dinner than it takes to eat it...
For me, that would mean instant ramen noodle because I am a fast eater.

Cooking is more fun when one has someone to share the meal with. I am a fast eater, but a slow cook, and I often enjoy cooking while sipping a glass of wine. Yes, I still like to cook.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #11176
Moderator Emeritus

Monday we did yardwork at the rental property.

Tuesday I started pruning our bougainvillea in our back yard. To be fair, the last time I pruned them was in August, and we had a lot of rain in September. I'm using an electric hedge trimmer with a 21" blade on a six-foot extension, waving it as high above my head as I can, and standing on tippy-toe... the hedge is easily 100' long. This time I was using the loppers almost as much as the hedge trimmer. I got a little overenthused with the loppers and thinned out a mock orange bush-- it looks more like a mock orange lollipop now.

Wednesday I took it easy with "just" taekwondo training.

Today I finished the downhill side of the bougainvillea and began trimming the top. At least the top is only a couple feet across and I can hold the hedge trimmer at waist height. But again I was using the loppers to extract those one-inch branches that split off into eight shoots. I finished the first 50-60' and only have about 40' left.

In a few hours (near sunset) we'll stuff the trimmings into our four 65-gallon green waste cans and get them to the street for tomorrow's pickup. The bougainvillea hedge looks like I subcontracted to Wolverine of the X-Men, but at least next time I prune I'll be able to cut off the twiggy little blossoms instead of the big honkin' branches.

I'll be glad when this job is done (tomorrow or Saturday). This is one of those weeks when I'm making sure that I have at least six hours between the 800 mg ibuprofen doses.

I've been filling in my spare time today with laundry (which I also last did in August). Four loads through the washer, three hanging up on the drying racks, one in the dryer, one load of each left.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:40 AM   #11177
Administrator

Went to visit with the grandkids yesterday. DW brought along some new clothes for her granddaughter and the three ladies spent the first hour trying on dresses and outfits. It was like a fashion show. Like her mother and grandmother, new clothes are her most favorite thing in the world.

The little guy hung out with me. We did some manly things and enjoyed the time together.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #11178
Administrator

Dropped off DW at a seminar this morning. The drive back was amazing. Fall colors must be at their peak this weekend, the sky is clear blue and the temperature pleasant.

Stopped off at the local Mexican supermarket to buy some plantains, looks like DW will soon be making some "torta de platano". A dead giveaway we will soon have visitors. While shopping I had some breakfast: 1 taco each of tongue, brain, and pork rind.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #11179
Full time employment: Posting here.

Today will be my last sandal day...there's a wet storm coming into Northern California Sunday night - Yea! The trees will just love all that water after a very dry year. Today is the last laundry day of this year (using our clothesline). It will be sunny in the 70's, and I plan to spend much of today outside!
Old 10-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #11180
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmary View Post
Today will be my last sandal day...there's a wet storm coming into Northern California Sunday night - Yea! The trees will just love all that water after a very dry year. Today is the last laundry day of this year (using our clothesline). It will be sunny in the 70's, and I plan to spend much of today outside!
I am looking forward to the rain and the cooler temperatures!
Closed Thread