Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 12:16 PM   #11221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I went for a walk with DW. Then, worked a bit more on applying mortar to sections of the backyard block fence that crumbled. Then, tilled another section of the veggie garden and applied manure to prepare for fall planting. Took photos of the new squash fruits that just set (many thanks to the bees!) to see for myself how fast they grow.

By the way, I found a Web site that said that "every part of the squash plant can be eaten, including the leaves and tender shoots, which can be cooked in omelets or made into soup." I heard of people eating squash flowers too. Interesting, but I have not tried that, and have eaten only the fruits. Yes, those "enormous" squash that I posted photos of earlier.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #11222

Made a normal grocery store run despite rumors that the shelves had been emptied by the hordes preparing for what in these parts will be a non-storm. I didn't notice anything different, perhaps West Virginians are unfazed by such things. Or they wait 'til the last minute.

Got the grass cut since it's going to be raining for almost the next week.

And put together a nice package of photo prints for DW's cousin who we visited last week and I took some photos of their 7-year-old daughter with their 162-pound puppy dawg.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #11223
Full time employment: Posting here.

I cleaned up my herb garden - after the first storm. The earth and air felt and smelled so good...the temp. was around 70, and sunny. Now I am ready for that minestrone soup and bread later on.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #11224
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not sure that "answering e-mails and writing blog posts" counts for much, but it's taken most of my day...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:07 AM   #11225

DW and I took a trip on the local tourist train, the Potomac Eagle. This is about a 3 hour train ride that leaves from Romney, WV and travels along the bank of the South Branch of the Potomac. For most of the trip, you're going through what is called the "Trough" area and is known for being the home to bald eagles, we're told about 95% of the train trips see at least one eagle. The track is little used (there is one freight train a day) so when eagles are seen, the train can slow down or even stop for photo ops. The train operates on the weekends through the summer but during the peak foliage season, they run daily trips. We were about 3 days past the peak leaves but it was still a lot of fun.

We had discount tickets sponsored by a local jewelry/gift shop that is celebrating their third anniversary so we had room in a car to ourselves, some wine and cheese, and good conversation with folks from the area- nice to meet more locals since we're still relatively new to the area (2 years). Here are some pics of the ride- there is an open gondola car that works very well for taking pictures.

The morning here was one of the foggiest we've seen and it was nearly noon before the fog lifted. By the time the train left at 1 pm, the sun was out and it had warmed up nicely, a perfect fall day- a nice trip.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:20 AM   #11226

We did the Potomac Eagle ride several years ago and it was fun and the scenery was beautiful.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:58 PM   #11227
Moderator Emeritus

Spent the weekend riding a bike around Napa Valley. My knees are killing me tonight, but that was great way to move between wineries.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:14 AM   #11228
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
My knees are killing me tonight, but that was great way to move between wineries.
Is that knee pain a symptom of too much wine, or of not enough wine?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:32 AM   #11229
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Is that knee pain a symptom of too much wine, or of not enough wine?
I sampled the many wines in moderation, so I don't think they were to blame.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:12 AM   #11230

Quote:
Spent the weekend riding a bike around Napa Valley. My knees are killing me tonight, but that was great way to move between wineries.
I remember visiting the Napa Valley wineries via horseback with a friend of mine way back in the 70's. The horses knew the way home
Old 10-29-2012, 08:04 AM   #11231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
We did the Potomac Eagle ride several years ago and it was fun and the scenery was beautiful.
An easy day trip for you!
Old 10-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #11232

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmary

I remember visiting the Napa Valley wineries via horseback with a friend of mine way back in the 70's. The horses knew the way home
They also usually know exactly how far / long they can go before it's time to turn back in order to make quitting time.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #11233
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Just an idea for you. In the last community we live in there was a technical education center adjacent to the local high school that had an automotive trades program that would fix vehicles for the cost of parts + $1 for labor. The problem was that they took forever but if you don't need the vehicle it might be an option. I recall having a new head gasket installed in one of my cars that way.
Thanks!
The local BOCES used to do this, but due to liability issues, no longer does so.

I have written it off as a money sink. The parts are just too expensive. My mechanic buddy does not charge me a lot for labor, but even he said it would be expensive to repair it in terms of labor hours. More than I want to keep putting into it, on top of other repairs over the past few years. I prefer to put the cost to repair the Jeep into a newer used vehicle with better gas mileage ratings.

I've had quite a few people stop to look at it, but no serious bites yet. If nothing else, it will go to the junkyard or a metal reclaiming station for cash.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:00 AM   #11234
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hurricane Sandy extended my weekend into Monday. Slept in late, watch the howling wind, and slept again.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:26 PM   #11235
Give me a forum ...

Mr B and I just got done playing Lumber Jack & Jill. I have a very tall row of natural cedar trees along both sides of my front yard. On 1 side, the tops are just touching the power and cable/telephone wires coming from the street to the house. One of the tops was tangled in the cable wire. My area may have high winds again if Sandy rolls back eastward.

I got out my tree saw and together we cut down 3 of the vertical limbs that were close to the wires. We used the tree saw portion to sever the limbs far down the tru, i.e. ee were nowhere near the wires with the saw.

Yes...I had safety glasses on. Mr B had a plastic squeegie with a long wooden handle to rescue me just in case I had a problem with the wires. I was taught that little trick when I managed a lab.

Mission accomplished!
Old 10-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #11236
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I sampled the many wines in moderation, so I don't think they were to blame.
I think we've found the problem...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 10-31-2012, 12:11 AM   #11237
Give me a forum ...

I've been monitoring the Weather Channel and netw*rk news for 3 days.

I proudly salute the emergency personnel of the National Guard, FEMA, state, county, and township officials and staff, all levels of law enforcement, DoD service members who are domestically deployed 24/7, the Red Cross, the Salvation Army, the local community groups, and the ordinary citizens of the stricken areas who are pulling together to try to restore the most basic services.

Who did I forget?

The next time I see someone complain about public w*rkers...

We are home and safe..they are not. Any questions ?
Old 10-31-2012, 11:59 AM   #11238
Recycles dryer sheets

Most mornings, the first thing that I do when I get up is put on a pot of coffee. This morning DH woke before I did, so I woke up to the smell of coffee brewing. That got me to thinking about the mildly scolding admonition "wake up and smell the coffee!". Really what could be more inviting than waking to the aroma of fresh brewed coffee.

So, this morning I woke up and smelled the coffee and drank a couple of cups while I leisurely read the newspaper. ;-)
Old 10-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #11239
Give me a forum ...

oops...I copied and pasted what I thought was a free image. Here's one of my own.

I'm debating getting dressed up and going trick or treating to friends' houses. The forecast is rain and wind, which is the pits when in costume.

I will dispatch Mr B to go buy "day after" candy tomorrow. Gotta stimulate the economy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of P9300006.jpg (512.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 10-31-2012, 04:15 PM   #11240
Give me a forum ...

TCM Classic Horror movies on TCM tonight

This is the last night of the October Wednesday horror flicks.

Tonight's lineup includes Frankenstein, The Mummy, The Body Snatchers, The Wolf Man, Island of Lost Souls, etc.

I have my DVR set to record all of them.

Mwah ha haaaaaaaaaaa

I'm watching Addams Family Values on ABC right now. Christopher Lloyd as Uncle Fester is too funny. Raul Julia is a good Gomez, but nowhere near as good as John Astin.