Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 08:20 PM   #11241
Full time employment: Posting here.

Breakfast at a kinda hippy/cool place. We ate big with 3 cups of coffee each. We decided to enjoy a leisurely breakfast out because we had a big day cleaning and packing ahead. DH makes fun of me for wanting the house clean for potential burglars.

Tomorrow we take off for two week road trip to visit family in ME and MA. It's been a long time comin' and i am so ready.

Very few trick-or-treaters tonight and there is way too much chocolate candy left.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2012, 10:32 PM   #11242
Moderator Emeritus

We spent an hour hammering little aluminum soffit vent covers into the soffit vent holes on our second story.

The vent holes are exactly 2" in diameter. Unfortunately the vent covers are also exactly 2" in diameter. We ended up having to slice them at the top & bottom and then compress them a little before pounding them in with a rubber mallet.

$1.50/each. 200 soffit vent holes. A flock of very determined Java sparrows. I think we'll eventually win.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:52 AM   #11243
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I'm watching Addams Family Values on ABC right now. Christopher Lloyd as Uncle Fester is too funny. Raul Julia is a good Gomez, but nowhere near as good as John Astin.
"Don't torture yourself, Gomez. That's MY job" Morticia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
Breakfast at a kinda hippy/cool place.
Did you have "hash" browns?

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 11-01-2012, 10:45 AM   #11244

Made a wine stopper. Got 19 more to do for Christmas gifts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-1564113302.jpg (463.7 KB, 12 views)
Old 11-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #11245
Give me a forum ...

Nice! Did you make the metal and rubber parts too? I'll bet they won't let you take it aboard a plane.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #11246

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound
Nice! Did you make the metal and rubber parts too? I'll bet they won't let you take it aboard a plane.
No - i bought the rubber and metal parts as an assembly with a threaded section on top. I turned the walnut on my lathe and tapped a threaded hole for the metal piece to screw into. You're right - probably not something I could take on a flight.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #11247
Moderator Emeritus

We are finally finished with parenting a teenager.

She turned 20 years old yesterday... did you notice how all of America celebrated our happiness?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #11248
Give me a forum ...

Counting this post, I have made 11 posts today! Yet, I made these posts in the rest periods between real home work.

I managed to finish a new planting bed that I started a few days ago. Tucked into a corner of the backyard and built with cinder blocks and mortar for the edges, it gives us another 20 sq.ft. to grow some herbs. It is always nice to have fresh basil for cooking. We already have chives, but I will look into other herbs too.

Then, I just made some stuffed bell peppers to make use of some items I found in the fridge: some bell peppers, and for the filling, chopped tomato and onion, a cup or two of leftover rice, and some ground pork sausage. Add to that filling a pinch of oregano, black pepper, and garlic, and man, the smell from the oven is making me hungry, particularly as I am sipping a glass of white merlot without any food.

PS. Updated to show the peppers that were just consumed.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:49 PM   #11249
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know where the day went. The only thing of note I did today was to walk to the hardware store to buy a single screw to repair a drawer pull.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #11250

Grocery store run, then prepped the lawn equipment for winter, drained all fuel, changed oil on the four-strokes, put the snow thrower front-and-center in the shed (hoping I don't have to use it).

Went down to the local historical bridge to take some photos on the debris stacked up by Sandy. "Sandy".
Old 11-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #11251
Give me a forum ...

I logged on here and made some funny boring posts. I'm in kind of a Don Rickles mood tonight. You know, the sassy one-liner type thing. Cymbal crash.

Mr B is downtown doing another Father Guido Sarducci appearance as the entertainment during the band's break at a fundraiser.
Tonight, he can do the racy one about coming to America, being-a Pope Maurice I, then going to eat and seeing no f*rk (pronounce it another way) on the table, having no sh**ts on the bed, and
a-giving a volume discount for....
if you remember the routine, Q: What is the volume discount for ?
PM me cuz it might violate the forum rules.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #11252

Sent the past week with the whole family in town. First time we have all been together since DD's wedding 5 years ago. It has been a fantastic week. Mostly shopping and eating. I'm up around 7 pounds, and I absolutely have to take them off quickly so I can put them back on over the upcoming holidays.

The most rewarding part of ER for me has been having the time to spend with family.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #11253
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Made jalapeño pepper jelly. This is my first time making a jelly of any kind so read up on the process, which included lots of info on how to prevent someone from dying of food poison after eating your jelly...very scary stuff!

I remember watching my granny can loads of stuff out of their garden and I have one of her bread and butter pickle recipes. If the pepper jelly turns out ok, think I'll try my hand at pickles next.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #11254
Give me a forum ...

I have never had pepper jelly, so had to look that up. Many many years ago, we had a pepper plant that gave us a lot, and I mean a lot, of hot red chili peppers. As we like to have hot pepper to spice up my food, we decided to make our own hot sauce. We simply ground them in a blender with some vinegar as a preservative, and ended up with a few quarts in the fridge. Have never had such a crop again.

Anyway, I sneaked out between posts again today to do a bit more restoration on a planting bed whose cinder block wall showed bad erosion from moisture, and needed a new coat of plaster.

After playing mason, I am resting a bit inside and to have lunch, before heading out to Home Depot again to get some building material. The weather is so nice, and it would be a shame to just stay indoors on the Web, while the house and yard need some maintenance.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #11255

So far.....worked. In fact, I'm at work right now...

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
Old 11-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #11256
Moderator Emeritus

I'm all packed for Houston & San Antonio, and leaving in about three hours.

I'll be at the San Antonio Hyatt Place hotel lobby (about a mile from the USAA campus) by 2 PM on Wednesday afternoon. Feel free to stop by and hang out with the cool personal-finance blogger geeks...

Old 11-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #11257
Moderator Emeritus

After trying to deal with it on my own, spent 27 minutes on the phone with Comcast and 146 minutes with HP trying to find out why the pretty new HP computer delivered late this morning wouldn't connect with my Internet. Pretty computer will go back to Amazon tomorrow--HP could not resolve the problem and said there are likely to be other problems too.

But I did like Windows 8.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #11258

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I have never had pepper jelly, so had to look that up.
It's delicious as an appetizer. Spread about 4 ounces of pepper jelly over a brick of cream cheese and serve with triscuits or wheat thins....yum!

Or you can do like a strange friend of ours does and make a peanut butter and pepper jelly sandwich. Sounds awful, tastes wonderful!
Old 11-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #11259

DW and I went out and voted - both straight tickets for the Cocktail Party. Not too bad, about four people in line ahead of us and perhaps a ten-minute wait (if that).

Gearing up for FIL's move on Thursday. Lots of little details with that.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #11260
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
It's delicious as an appetizer. Spread about 4 ounces of pepper jelly over a brick of cream cheese and serve with triscuits or wheat thins....yum!....
+1 love it!!!