Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #11261
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I spent part of the afternoon at the dentist's office today. Good times...

I had a crown replaced. Yersirree all in one afternoon. They were able to take off the old crown, prep the gum area, create and 'install' the new crown in under three hours.

Not having to wear a temp for over two weeks was great. Shoot...I almost smiled when I paid the bill...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #11262
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI
I spent part of the afternoon at the dentist's office today. Good times...

I had a crown replaced. Yersirree all in one afternoon. They were able to take off the old crown, prep the gum area, create and 'install' the new crown in under three hours.

Not having to wear a temp for over two weeks was great. Shoot...I almost smiled when I paid the bill...
Egads!

I spent part of the morning at the dentist. I found out that i need to get a crown, but I need to go back once for a temp, and then again for the permanent crown.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #11263
Give me a forum ...

It must be a tooth epidemic. I am scheduled for an appointment Thursday to fix a tooth that has a bit of wobble, a filling that is partially cracked, and is giving me moderate pain. I've been eating semi-soft food to avoid further damage to the filling.
Homemade applesauce, mashed potatoes, meat cut up into small pieces, and yogurt are my current diet.
Last week, I was eating thin crust store bought pizza, felt a small pebble (piece of the filling or perhaps something in the pizza) just as my tooth crunched down on it. Talk about birdies and stars! OUCH
It felt better after 2 days. On day 3 when the filling let another small piece loose, I called for an appointment. No openings until tomorrow.
My guess is it will be a filling replacement followed by some support side bonding to stabilize the wobble. Or a cap. Or a root canal. Groan...

I hate going to any dentist. I get this sickening feeling in my gut, a conditioned response from having a not-so-nice dentist as a child. I know I have to go and get it over with. End of whine.

The good news? My current dentist is very skilled and very nice.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #11264
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I am...partially cracked...
There...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 11-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #11265
Full time employment: Posting here.

That West Virginia train ride would look a lot different this week, yes? All the snow that Sandy dumped in those canyons.
I've been peeling wallpaper off in my bathroom. What a mess. The steamer works best and it still leaves residue. I can't get to the wall behind toilet and sink. Will have to time the contractor between demo and reinstall. First time any one wants a contractor to show up. They will paint but will not deal with the wall paper.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #11266
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
There...
Bronx cheer

Old 11-08-2012, 03:41 AM   #11267
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
That West Virginia train ride would look a lot different this week, yes? All the snow that Sandy dumped in those canyons.
We didn't really get very much snow here and only at the highest elevations. You can see snow on some of the distant mountains but we dodged most of the bad weather from that storm. The wind has removed most of the remaining leaves though!
Old 11-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #11268

FIL is moved to his new apartment, DW is staying there tonight to get him oriented. Surprisingly it took only about three hours to get the bulk of the items moved.

Still lots of details like getting his cable TV working and such but the heavy lifting part is done. Not to mention getting all the work done on the house to sell it. But at least he's out of there and won't be underfoot while the rest takes place. I'll be working on some of that the next few days, just taking a break from it now.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #11269
Moderator Emeritus

Spent the day elder-sitting. DW had her knee scoped for a torn meniscus and cartilage repair this morning and has slept the entire day.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:15 PM   #11270
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Spent the day elder-sitting. DW had her knee scoped for a torn meniscus and cartilage repair this morning and has slept the entire day.
You're not calling your DW elderly...are you?

----------------------------

Slow day, so I measured my ponytail. It's sixteen inches long.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #11271
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI
You're not calling your DW elderly...are you?

----------------------------

Slow day, so I measured my ponytail. It's sixteen inches long.
Well she is a year older than I am
Old 11-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #11272
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Mmmm...she's got herself a boy-toy....
Old 11-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #11273
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar

She's not elderly, she's a cougar!
Old 11-09-2012, 05:13 AM   #11274
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Mmmm...she's got herself a boy-toy....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
She's not elderly, she's a cougar!
Old 11-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #11275
Moderator Emeritus

That is funny - I haven't thought of DW ss a cougar, or myself as a boy toy. But she is closer.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #11276
Give me a forum ...

Ever feel like playing some video games? Yesterday I declared it a video game day, and played video games or did other related activities for almost 12 hours without a break.

First I played "Animal Crossing, City Folk" for a couple of hours.
Then "Elderscrolls V: Skyrim" for 3+ hours.
Then "Professor Layton and the Unwound Future" for 2-3 hours until I finished it. Then went on Amazon and ordered "Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask".

Each of these video games is very different from the others, so it was impossible to get bored.

Somehow in the middle of all of this I managed to find the time to listen to a Youtube showing someone's first 70 minutes of game play of the brand new just-released Japanese version of "Animal Crossing, New Leaf", which will not be released in the US until next year. Fascinating! I watched the 70 minute video straight through and watched parts of it a second time. I can hardly wait to see and play the English version. Meanwhile, watching this video I just wished I understood more Japanese.

All of this was after F dropped me off at my house at 3:30, following our usual trip to the gym and restaurant lunch together.

What a perfect day. One aspect of retirement that I truly enjoy is that often one can do what one happens to want to do on a given day, to one's heart's content, finally.

P.S. - - playing video games is a truly relaxing post-election break for those of us who were worrying too much about the future of our country!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 11-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #11277
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Made a wine stopper. Got 19 more to do for Christmas gifts
Very attractive. A gift anyone would like to get.

Ha
Old 11-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #11278
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
One aspect of retirement that I truly enjoy is that often one can do what one happens to want to do on a given day, to one's heart's content, finally.
+1

Although for me, playing video games for 12 hours would be a form of torture. My attention span begins to drift after 5 or 10 minutes.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #11279
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I finally gave in and ordered a new riding mower. My old Craftsman made it through 13 seasons and the engine is still great, but I've hit so many rocks and other hazards over the years that the frame, steering and other components are shot. The broken front axle was the last straw.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #11280
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

Although for me, playing video games for 12 hours would be a form of torture. My attention span begins to drift after 5 or 10 minutes.
What, you wouldn't be utterly thrilled to watch a 70 minute video of somebody else's video game play, all in Japanese without a word of English so that you are just guessing as to what is going on?

Seriously, some video games are like that for me too, because games with nothing but ultra-violence turn me off. But the 5% or so that I really like are such fun to play that I can play them for hours and hours.

I think my attention span would drift after 5 or 10 minutes of shopping for a riding mower....

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Closed Thread