Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #11361
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nice picture creation.

Reminds me of talking with a BIL a few years ago. He had in the early seventies a full color film and photo development darkroom in his house. Enlargers, baths. rinses, all in a highly temperature controlled room. Color development was extremely temperature sensitive. His cameras were all Hasselblads.
He used to spend hours in trying to get color photos to be exactly as the natural colors, which were in the "real life". He marveled at a video slide show the kids had running on a laptop into a projector.

After some discussion we realized that what we were watching on the screen was "not real", in the sense thet no negative or positive film existed, nor were there any printed photos. We were simply looking at some bits and bytes arranged into an image our brain recognized as a picture.

The marvel of modern technology. Is it all imaginary?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #11362

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Nice picture creation.
No more imaginary than the clumps of silver deposited on the film (in black and white photography), which form the image. The clumps of silver in film-based photography = the pixels which make up a digital image.

Funny how in the "old days" of photography, it often took a lot of care and time to get the exposure and contrast and (in the case of color photography) color balance just right whereas with digital photography, these adjustments are so much easier.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #11363

Quote:
After some discussion we realized that what we were watching on the screen was "not real", in the sense thet no negative or positive film existed, nor were there any printed photos. We were simply looking at some bits and bytes arranged into an image our brain recognized as a picture.

There is sometimes considerable debate about that within the photographic community. My take on it is that what is possible digitally now has always been done to some degree in the darkroom, it's just available to more people now. The "poor man's digital darkroom" - Lightroom and Photoshop Elements - combined with a camera that can shoot RAW (unprocessed) files has never been so cheap.

And in some respects I suppose it is imaginary because a still camera captures only a fraction of a second, or usually at most several seconds, and that is not the way people perceive the world, in fractions of a second. People perceive a constant stream of images. Which, of course, is why a photo of a party balloon popping is so interesting. We know it happens but it's over so fast we can't see it.

Which is one of the characteristics of photography that is so interesting to me - capturing that fraction of time that will never happen again.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #11364

Yes, digital photgraphy amd photo manipulation is infinitely more affordable than a full color lab.

+ can work on the phots in normal lighting and no wait for the results until after developer, bath, fixer, rinse, dry. Then realize a speck of dust in the wrong place.

Incidentally, using an enlarger to transfer an image to paper, the trick was to focus the background granularity of the film, rather than try to optimize the actual image focus.

I do like my pcket Cannon, where I can instantly decide, looking at the captured image, if I want to keep a shot.

Yet, I am always amazed at the ability to look at a just taken photo.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #11365
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am on Day 2 of the flu from h*ll.

I decided I needed something to cheer me up, so I am watching Mary Poppins on TV.
Chim chiminy chim chiminy chim chim cheree....
It's fun to watch Julie Andrews trying to keep up with Dick Van Dyke on the dance numbers.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:37 PM   #11366

Drove to Lacey, checked on my house, and put a splash block under the downspout that didn't have one already. All quiet on the southern front. Met my neighbors from across the intersection, and another lady from down the cross street, wrote down names and who is in which house for later reference. The natives seem very friendly so far. There are two or possibly three species of what I suspect are edible and tasty mushrooms sprouting under the big spruce tree in the front yard. I will have to get specimens and see if I can get them ID'd at Fungi Perfecti (a nearby commercial grower and supplier of spawn for home mushroom culture) next time I am down there. Also discovered the lock in the garage door handle is a different key than the other doors, and I don't have it. But I want to put an automatic opener on that door anyway. Detected a low spot in the back yard. If it isn't a collapsing oil or septic tank, it might turn into a "rain garden". The drainage ditch along the street looks like it might need to be re-graded. I may have to get some of those giant Post-it notes and start keeping a "to do" list on the inside of the garage wall. Discovered after arriving that I had left my street map in Seattle, and on the way home missed the turn back to the freeway in the dark, drove 10 minutes or so past the place before I was sure I had gone wrong, and another 15 or 20 before I could find somewhere to turn around. Ooops!
Old 11-24-2012, 11:57 PM   #11367
Moderator Emeritus

I finished rebuilding the blog's blogroll (which was mangled by the move to Bluehost & Genesis) and added a few more links.

Google AdSense sent me a $101.74 deposit for the last three weeks of October. As of 22 November we're already over $110. Thanks to everyone who's been clicking the ad links-- if this keeps up then we'll donate over $1300/year to Wounded Warrior Project & Fisher House.

In that vein, I started filling out our 2012 tax returns.

I think we know rental income & expenses for the rest of 2012 (or at least I hope nothing else happens to change them) and we don't plan to take any more capital gains (we've already rebalanced quite enough). Now we just need to extrapolate the interest & dividend income, figure out the Schedule E net rental income, and add up the deductions.

Then I can start form 8606 for a Roth IRA conversion up to the top of the 25% income tax bracket... if there's any room left?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:12 AM   #11368

We decided to have an easy family get together yesterday, make it the last cookout of the season. Murphey’s law paid a visit – everything that could go wrong, did, and we learned a few new things.

For example, we now know that the non-stick cooking spoons actually do melt. Also, the plastic food steamers (Joseph Joseph Lotus) do as well (separate incidents). Grilling bison skirt steak isn’t a good idea when the outdoor temperature falls below freezing. It does help, thought, to check just how much salt is on hand before doing all the cooking. The guys at the fish counter understand “please clean the fillet’ to mean not just take the remaining bones out but also remove the skin and a fair amount of meat as well.

We’re all still good friends. And some of us are even talking with each other.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #11369
Give me a forum ...

I awoke to 2" of snow on the ground. It is indeed pretty, but only once a year. Snow is still falling very gently as I type this post.

Mr B and I are slowly recovering from this flu bug. We normally both have gotten our flu shots by now, but between him studying for school and going to PA to buy a used 2011 Ford Escape last Monday , we both forgot to go for the flu shot.
I finally had the energy to get up out of the recliner and do a load of laundry today.
I have a cooked turkey that needs carving, a pumpkin pie to make, etc etc.

One thing at a time...
Old 11-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #11370
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
....And selling/buying that much means I could lose some money if the timing is wrong. So, being a market timer careful rebalancer, I looked at the market movement in the last couple of trading days, and decided to wait a bit more. I still have December to sell-sell-sell/buy-buy-buy.....
You can minimize that risk of loss by selling and buying back as immediately as possible (assuming you are buying back the same ticker). I'm looking at something similar and am thinking about talking with my MF provider of allowing a sell and buy the same day - I'm not sure if they allow that. Since the transaction would result in a gain there is no need to worry about wash sale rules (wash sale rules only apply to transactions that result in losses).
Old 11-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #11371
Give me a forum ...

Brewed my last batch of homebrew for the year. Since I have to run a hose from the house out to my brewery (backyard shed), I can only do it when the temperature is above freezing, and I have to drain all the lines to let them survive the winter.

Even though today was borderline for temperature, I had a great brew day. Made 12 gallons of American Pale Ale, of which 1.5 gallons was canned to use for future yeast starters. Got the whole system cleaned, drained, and closed up.

In a couple of weeks, this batch will be legged and put in the rotation, and will probably start making me smile in about a month. My normal beer consumption averages out to two pints per day, so one batch lasts me a couple of months, since there is some commercial beer consumed as well.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:05 PM   #11372

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister
Brewed my last batch of homebrew for the year. Since I have to run a hose from the house out to my brewery (backyard shed), I can only do it when the temperature is above freezing, and I have to drain all the lines to let them survive the winter.

Even though today was borderline for temperature, I had a great brew day. Made 12 gallons of American Pale Ale, of which 1.5 gallons was canned to use for future yeast starters. Got the whole system cleaned, drained, and closed up.

In a couple of weeks, this batch will be legged and put in the rotation, and will probably start making me smile in about a month. My normal beer consumption averages out to two pints per day, so one batch lasts me a couple of months, since there is some commercial beer consumed as well.
Great way to spend a day! My "brewery" has the same problem. I brew outside and have to run a hose as well. I'm brewing Friday - a 5 gallon all grain version of the White House Honey Porter. This will put my stockpile at close to 30 gallons. I don't know when I'll brew again once daily temps fall below freezing, so my stockpile may have to last a while.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #11373
Moderator Emeritus

I've been working through a multi-page list of "things to put on the blog", and today I tackled Google Analytics.

I read about it and figured out all the things it can do for blog statistics, but I want that 30 minutes of my life back.

It seems to be a 12-pound sledge 90-pound jackhammer and it duplicates a lot of the statistics that I already get on WordPress. For a small blog without AdWords it doesn't seem worth the effort... let alone the implied threat (in Google's "Terms & Conditions") that they may someday charge for the service.

But it was nice to cross a line item off the list.

Hey, I think I'll do some more tax paperwork.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:16 AM   #11374
Give me a forum ...

I woke up at 4 AM.
So did Mr B.
Considering we hit the bricks at 8 PM last night, no wonder.

Coffee is made, laundry is in the dryer, and I feel great!!!!

After 4 days of doing nada, I have my list at the ready.

Carve turkey and freeze
Make pumpkin pie and freeze
Fold laundry
Empty dishwasher

Go downtown to the pharmacy for a prescription and more cough syrup for Mr B. He is going to the doctor no fail today under threat of being duct taped, put in the car and driven there.

Empty out the Jeep prior to driving it to a mechanic friend who wants to buy it. He has access to used engines at a fraction of the retail cost. I'm hoping he can put in an engine and end up with a great vehicle for himself. At this point, I will accept anything above the price I would get from a junkyard. Case closed.

I might even go out for a beer later.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #11375

East nowhere has a downtown?
Old 11-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #11376
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
East nowhere has a downtown?
A tiny city exists approx 10 miles away from East Nowhere.

East Nowhere has exactly 1 traffic light. I'm not kidding.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #11377

Our megalopolis south of east nowhere has 2.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #11378

Yesterday I took a knot out of my mother's gold chain. Actually, more like 4 baby knots and one big one. Took an hour and a half with two needles and my hands hurt afterwards, but the chain is important to her and it's good to know I can still do that, just takes a bit longer.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #11379
Administrator

My retirement budget has some flexibility for unexpected expenses. So far this year, in this category, I had to get a new water heater because my old one failed, and then later in the year I had to replace my carpet due to Hurricane Isaac.

So, that's not enough, right? Right? Yesterday I broke a tooth off while vigorously flossing my teeth. Can you believe it?* I will be spending the afternoon at the dentist, and expect the bill to be staggering.

Oh well, this is why we allow for unexpected expenses. Looks like my spending this year will be way more than I had expected, though. I mean, I can afford it but still, all these unexpected expenses just to maintain the status quo are so aggravating. A new video game for $25 thrills me to death, but multi-thousands spent on just keeping things as they were doesn't really float my boat. Too bad some of this unexpected spending couldn't have happened after the New Year.

*Actually, this was not a natural tooth; it was one that I broke off in 1999, and my dentist had put in posts and built a new tooth on the posts. So that semi-fake tooth was what broke off.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #11380
Moderator Emeritus

Drove back from San Diego yesterday. Had a great time with DW's family over the holiday weekend.

We stayed at a very nice hotel in La Jolla. Our lowly Camry rubbed elbows with the BMWs/Benzes/Cadillacs in the parking lot. And I think we looked a bit underdressed to the crowd dining at the hotel's upscale restaurant.