Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 05:16 AM   #1121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Anyone know what this bird is called?
His mamma said his name is Ralph.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2009, 09:12 AM   #1122
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Anyone know what this bird is called?
Looks like a white-crowned sparrow......

Old 03-28-2009, 09:51 AM   #1123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

+1 White crowned sparrow. I don't know western birds, but I was sure it was a sparrow, so I googled them. Here's a good page for other Southwestern sparrows. Google Image Result for http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3232/3129492959_5652f45e52.jpg
Old 03-28-2009, 02:39 PM   #1124
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
+1 White crowned sparrow. I don't know western birds, but I was sure it was a sparrow, so I googled them. Here's a good page for other Southwestern sparrows. Google Image Result for http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3232/3129492959_5652f45e52.jpg
Thanks.

OMG, that looks like him. I couldn't find him on a local site. I didn't plan to be a bird watcher but when those guys stay still long enough for a photo, I can't resist.

I was thinking "Twiddy" didn't fit, but I like Ralph as a bird name.

[Edit to add link, here he is! http://www.nps.gov/prsf/naturescienc...ed-sparrow.htm
Old 03-29-2009, 11:56 AM   #1125
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday, DH had the opportunity to play with musician Tim Ries. Tim is the sax player for the Rolling Stones and just completed his second world tour with them. Other folks he has played for are Paul Simon, Sheryl Crow, Stevie Wonder and many others.

This a.m. we took him to the airport. It was an honor to meet such a talented, gracious and congenial man. I took a pic of the guys at the airport. Tim is the one on the left.

Now, I'm getting ready to clip coupons out of the Sunday paper.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tim Ries and DH.jpg (388.7 KB, 12 views)
Old 03-29-2009, 12:53 PM   #1126
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Yesterday, DH had the opportunity to play with musician Tim Ries.

Now, I'm getting ready to clip coupons out of the Sunday paper.....
From the sublime to the um, cents off. thanks for the story and photo. Cute hubby!
Old 03-29-2009, 08:35 PM   #1127
Give me a forum ...

Relaxed all day with dh2b. The rain saved us from the annual doggy-do picker-upper duty.
It's kinda like those preserved mummies they perodically find in the Himalayas.
When the snow is deep, all sorts of treasures remain undiscovered.
When the snow melts, the archeologists go wild.
dh2b is from the school of "OMG, we have to pick it all up!"
I am from the school of "let the rain wash it away".
Mother Nature continues to be my best friend.
Neeeeeeext....
Old 03-29-2009, 08:44 PM   #1128

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Relaxed all day with dh2b. The rain saved us from the annual doggy-do picker-upper duty.
It's kinda like those preserved mummies they perodically find in the Himalayas.
When the snow is deep, all sorts of treasures remain undiscovered.
When the snow melts, the archeologists go wild.
dh2b is from the school of "OMG, we have to pick it all up!"
I am from the school of "let the rain wash it away".
Mother Nature continues to be my best friend.
Neeeeeeext....
Reminds me why i don't have another dog yet.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:57 PM   #1129

Pretty strange grille out today. DW has had a hankering for grilled veggies so I promised her we would do that today. Lot of work getting everything ready. I cut up tomatoes, green peppers, red peppers, yellow squash, zuchinni (?), added some mushrooms and onions and then marinated them in olive oil and balsamic vinegar for about two hours. DW also got some asparagus as she always wanted to try that.
Steamed it separately in foil. Last but not least, I grilled some wild hog recently slain by my SIL. DW is a veggie so the hog was all mine. When SIL butchered this hog, something he had never done before, he didn't have the tools so he just cut all the meat off the bones. No pork chops, no ribs, no hams, etc., just meat frozen in bags. I marinated it also and I'll have to say it was pretty tasty. Good flavor but kind of dry. Kind of like grilling sirloin steak. Strangest meal I ever grilled out. SIL told me how they catch the hogs with hunting dogs. That's another story for some other time. Strange as hell.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #1130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
From the sublime to the um, cents off. thanks for the story and photo.
Yeah, it was kind of downhill the rest of the day....
Quote:
Cute hubby!
Heh...he hasn't had his hair cut snce November of last year. That's just one of the "retirement changes" he's going through.....stay tuned....
Old 03-29-2009, 10:02 PM   #1131
Give me a forum ...

I finished my taxes today, I think. I started more than a month ago, but then was out of town. My income has dropped significantly from 2007 to 2008. Ever since leaving a full-time job with megacorps many years ago, my income comes from part-time work paid with both W2 and 1099. I am your typical procrastinator, and never paid estimated taxes on the 1099 jobs, and usually relied on the taxes withheld on the W2 to cover the self-employment and income taxes on the 1099. The tax withheld on the W2 was high because it was prorated for the entire year, while I usually work brief periods of 40hrs/week for a few months, then nothing for several months.

As my work "fluctuates" (just like the market!), in 2007 I had to pay an additionally $10K in taxes and penalty as my 1099 work paid more than I had expected. For 2008, my total income has dropped off enough for me to NOT pay additional taxes for the 1099 job. In fact, I am even getting $3K coming back. What a nice surprise! So, I compared the returns of 2007 and 2008, and found out about the difference. My income has dropped enough for me to get into a lower bracket, and my kid's tuition can now get me some tax credit. In 2007, I also had capital gains. In 2008, I got enough losses to last me more than a decade at $3K/yr.

I don't worry about the cap loss carryover though. In 2000, I was in a similar situation, but as the market recovered in 2003-2006, I was able to sell with a gain that used up the carry-over loss very nicely. I am back to working part-time now, and have some money coming in. Buy, buy, buy...
Old 03-30-2009, 12:46 PM   #1132
Give me a forum ...

Played 9 holes this morning. Still very wet. And tomorrow, more rain. Man, this is getting old. Going to do some yard work this afternoon. Maybe take the mutt for a walk and swim.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:02 PM   #1133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I finished my taxes today, I think. I started more than a month ago... I am your typical procrastinator,
Mutually exclusive.

I'm almost ready to start thinking about beginning to prepare to think about doing my taxes.Much more typical.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:20 PM   #1134
Give me a forum ...

Hmmmmm...today...what did I do today?....
1 load of laundry washed and folded.
I cooked orange ruffy fish in the crockpot and made Greek orzo casserole.
I got the mail, surfed, watched little tiny pieces of white stuff fall out of the sky...still ongoing.
I watched the 20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph winds blow...still ongoing.
Remembered it is T-minus 2 days til my 2 year FIRE anniversary.
I think I have the daily routine down pat.
Ummmmm......I forget what else I did.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:32 PM   #1135
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Mutually exclusive.

I'm almost ready to start thinking about beginning to prepare to think about doing my taxes.Much more typical.
Yup.
And if you don't owe money there's no penalty for filing late.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:49 PM   #1136
Administrator

Went to our Human Resources folks to talk about retiring on November 9th. Gave them the info to get started on a rough estimate, and to verify that I would be eligible. It is a bit early, but they are short-handed and their best retirement expert just retired so they need a lot of extra time to handle retirements these days.

I left with a big folder full of pertinent forms and publications, which I am studying. It is beginning to seem more real.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-30-2009, 07:36 PM   #1137
Give me a forum ...

I spent the morning at the Pulmonologist . I came down with bronchitis last week and it has kicked in my asthma . I do not have time to be sick . My daughter ,SIL and my grandson are coming to visit then my Mom is coming and then SO,Mom & I are all flying to New York for my niece's wedding . Plus I'm having a houseful for Easter . These antibiotics better kick in fast . I have to be the Easter Bunny to my grandson . The only good part is I've read several books and lost five lbs..
Old 03-30-2009, 09:56 PM   #1138
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had a soft-tissue peridontal graft this morning. Ugh. Now I'm whiney, though DH has provided mashed potatoes and a chocolate malt.

Newsflash: I have decided that my ER date will be August 1, 2009. :moonwalk: Finally. It's time.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:01 PM   #1139
Give me a forum ...

Bit the bullet today and did my final data review for taxes. There was a box on my CSF-1099R that wasn't there for the past 4 years since I started receiving the pension. Something about Employee Contribution.
So being a good citizen, I entered the data.
Badda-bing-badda-boom, my federal tax bill dropped by almost $100.
Now I only owe them $41.
If they audit me, I'll just sic the IRS on the OPM and watch the fur fly.
Still zero to NYS.
Taxes and I have always had a strong hate-hate relationship. With an effect tax rate of 12.25%, I can overcome my hatred and say that I just l...lo...lo...love doing taxes.
<SCREAM shudder> Nah, I hate doing my taxes. But I do love not paying out the nose anymore.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:35 PM   #1140

Went shopping for DW birthday. Got some chocolate for a nice bottle of port. Got some nice flowers to go with a grilled rack of lamb dinner and caprese salad. Ohh ohh brownie points for me Plus finished up some odds and ends before our big trip.