Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 10:55 AM   #11381
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Drove back from San Diego yesterday. Had a great time with DW's family over the holiday weekend.

We stayed at a very nice hotel in La Jolla. Our lowly Camry rubbed elbows with the BMWs/Benzes/Cadillacs in the parking lot. And I think we looked a bit underdressed to the crowd dining at the hotel's upscale restaurant.
The crowd dining at the hotel restaurant probably thought, due to your casual dress, that you were celebrities of some kind. They are probably still trying to figure out who you are.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #11382
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
My retirement budget has some flexibility for unexpected expenses. So far this year, in this category, I had to get a new water heater because my old one failed, and then later in the year I had to replace my carpet due to Hurricane Isaac.

So, that's not enough, right? Right? Yesterday I broke a tooth off while vigorously flossing my teeth. Can you believe it?* I will be spending the afternoon at the dentist, and expect the bill to be staggering.

Oh well, this is why we allow for unexpected expenses. Looks like my spending this year will be way more than I had expected, though. I mean, I can afford it but still, all these unexpected expenses just to maintain the status quo are so aggravating. A new video game for $25 thrills me to death, but multi-thousands spent on just keeping things as they were doesn't really float my boat. Too bad some of this unexpected spending couldn't have happened after the New Year.
Sorry to hear that. Hope it all w*rked out ok.

It's an epidemic, I swear. Just a few weeks ago I had an split tooth extraction done. I recall seeing two other posters with tooth problems around the same time. Too much Halloween candy ?
I'm getting my 3 cap bridge done in 2 appts spanning the calendar year turnover so I can get the max out of my annual limit (Delta Dental).
Timing is everything.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #11383
Moderator Emeritus

I interviewed a long-term care insurance expert. She does good work and she gives a good interview, but the industry outlook can be boiled down to "... and this time it'll really be different!"
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...nce-63738.html

I think I'll take the rest of the day off. Yesterday I was reading the Facebook group "Cold War Submarine Veterans" thread "I'm wondering what was your 'Oh **** this is real' moment when you were on your submarine?" so last night I didn't sleep very well. But it certainly put most of my sea stories in their proper perspective.

These last few weeks I've been writing a ton of blogging material, and it'll probably fill the post schedule for the rest of the year. But I still have to format it and post it, and I still need to be focusing my efforts on an eBook. "Volume" has been great, but "focus" has been lacking.

Quote:
Yesterday I broke a tooth off while vigorously flossing my teeth. Can you believe it?*
*Actually, this was not a natural tooth; it was one that I broke off in 1999, and my dentist had put in posts and built a new tooth on the posts. So that semi-fake tooth was what broke off.
Holy crap, I thought that was an urban legend. I sure hope they offer an extended warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
We stayed at a very nice hotel in La Jolla.
I can't think of a bad hotel in La Jolla. And I'm surprised that your car wasn't turned away at the city limits...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:17 PM   #11384
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Sorry to hear that. Hope it all w*rked out ok.

It's an epidemic, I swear. Just a few weeks ago I had an split tooth extraction done. I recall seeing two other posters with tooth problems around the same time. Too much Halloween candy ?
I'm getting my 3 cap bridge done in 2 appts spanning the calendar year turnover so I can get the max out of my annual limit (Delta Dental).
Timing is everything.
Funny you should mention this .I broke a tooth earlier in the year .My dental insurance came in handy this year .My big unexpected expense besides the pool remodel which was a huge chunk was the trip to my Mom's after her fall .I had three airline tickets I could not use and then had to buy a last minute one way ticket . Basically a $1,000 ticket loss .
Old 11-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #11385
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Funny you should mention this .I broke a tooth earlier in the year .My dental insurance came in handy this year .My big unexpected expense besides the pool remodel which was a huge chunk was the trip to my Mom's after her fall .I had three airline tickets I could not use and then had to buy a last minute one way ticket . Basically a $1,000 ticket loss .
Do we need a Tooth Fairy thread ?

Old 11-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #11386
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Our megalopolis south of east nowhere has 2.
Our closest town has 2 traffic lights if you count the one that is front of McDonald's. I think it started out as a crosswalk for the school across the street but I hardly ever see pedestrian traffic but it does help with the traffic from this very busy fast food joint.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #11387
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Do we need a Tooth Fairy thread ?
Obviously so!

My dentist did an x-ray to check out the neighboring teeth and bone, and said they were extraordinarily healthy. So, at least one nice thing was learned today. He presented me with a number of options. We decided that in my case, going for the implant is a no-brainer. Total cost for everything is estimated to be a little under $3,000, and it is estimated to last 30 years. So, if one considers that to be equivalent to $100/year that isn't so bad, I suppose. I am surprised that it doesn't cost more than that. Plus, that is before the discount and he assured me he would give me a discount, so that would bring it down somewhat.

Still, I will be paying in full this year (to save money). Being self-insured, since that is the most cost effective approach for me, I have another unexpected big bill coming in this year.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:07 PM   #11388
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Obviously so!

My dentist presented me with a number of options, and we decided to go for the implant. Total cost for everything is estimated at around $3,000, and it is estimated to last 30 years. So, if one considers that to be equivalent to $100/year that isn't so bad, I suppose.

Still, I will be paying in full this year (to save money), and I am self-insured (to save more money), and I don't have to like that if I don't want to!
I hope your mouth is not in pain right now, W2R!

That is a very reasonable price. I have one and am so happy with it. Well worth the %^&*$# cost (no, you don't have to be happy about that!).
Old 11-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #11389
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I hope your mouth is not in pain right now, W2R!

That is a very reasonable price. I have one and am so happy with it. Well worth the %^&*$# cost (no, you don't have to be happy about that!).
Thank you!! No, I am not in any pain at all right now, unless the dual mental anguish of being suddenly without that tooth and simultaneously knowing that I will have to loosen my pursestrings counts. I think it is a pretty reasonable price, too. Actually he said a little under $3,000, probably, and then he usually gives me a 15% discount on his labor, which would be on top of that, I suppose. I am so glad to hear that you are happy with yours. It sounds so extreme and scary.

Another good thing that happened today (other than finding out that the x-rays were great), is that Vanguard finally sent me the "Welcome to Flagship!" package. So at last, I am an official Flagship member. I know, I know, that plus $5 will buy me a cup of coffee.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #11390
Give me a forum ...

I bought a nice solid alder wood round table with a leaf so I can have family over for dinner. It is the same color as my old table, and fits in the same space. Almost a perfect color match with my natural chairs. Some tall skinny gal selling on Craigslist charged $40 for the table, delivered. I felt that I really lucked out, and meeting her was very pleasant too.

Looks great in the room.

Ha
Old 11-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #11391
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Last night, my wife noticed that most of the liquor behind the bar had rather suddenly disappeared. So, today we went to Costco to buy some fresh liquor.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #11392
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
... and it is estimated to last 30 years.
In this situation perhaps it'd be more prudent to measure its lifespan in terms of how many times it can be flossed...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #11393
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
In this situation perhaps it'd be more prudent to measure its lifespan in terms of how many times it can be flossed...
I think I should probably learn to floss less enthusiastically.

Believe it or not, my dentist was asking me how I was doing w.r.t my brushing and flossing habits. He changed the subject after I reminded him of how the tooth came out.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:40 PM   #11394
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think I should probably learn to floss less enthusiastically.

Believe it or not, my dentist was asking me how I was doing w.r.t my brushing and flossing habits. He changed the subject after I reminded him of how the tooth came out.
Try using a gentler touch ?

Is that you at 1:06 into the clip ?

Old 11-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #11395
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Try using a gentler touch ?

Is that you at 1:06 into the clip ?
That's amazing!!! And yes, that is probably a good approximation of W2R flossing her teeth with vigor....

Old 11-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #11396
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's amazing!!! And yes, that is probably a good approximation of W2R flossing her teeth with vigor....
I couldn't resist.

The image of a 2 man crosssaw competition flitted into my mind...yes, I have seen them live up here in East Nowhere. It is pretty cool to watch. Women compete too.

The Woodsmen's Field Days, a nonprofit organization, was founded by the Rev. Frank Reed in 1948. Due to the support of its many volunteers, (nearly 400) the Field Days have evolved into one of the predominant lumberjack contests in the United States today. Contestants come from as far away as Canada, Australia, and New Zealand to compete in the lumberjack festivities, which are held the third weekend in August.

NYS Woodsmen's Field Days Lumberjack Contest
Old 11-26-2012, 08:03 PM   #11397
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I couldn't resist.

The image of a 2 man crosssaw competition flitted into my mind...yes, I have seen them live up here in East Nowhere. It is pretty cool to watch. Women compete too.

NYS Woodsmen's Field Days Lumberjack Contest
How cool! Women, too? I went back and looked again, and there are women shown (I thought they were guys with long hair). That is terrific.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #11398
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How cool! Women, too? That is terrific.
Be very nice to the LumberJills.

It is a very serious competition event. I'm overdue to attend it, having gone for the first time many years ago. It is fascinating.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #11399
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Be very nice to the LumberJills.

It is a very serious competition event. I'm overdue to attend it. It is fascinating.
I think you should! Sometimes the most fascinating tourist activities are closest to home.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #11400
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How cool! Women, too? I went back and looked again, and there are women shown (I thought they were guys with long hair). That is terrific.
The youtube clip was filmed in Quebec.

The NYS Woodsmen's Field Days site didn't seem to have any video clips.