Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #11421
Moderator Emeritus

Brewed 5 gallons of my own version of White House Porter with my nephew and BIL. Great weather near 60 and sunny.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #11422
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
You can minimize that risk of loss by selling and buying back as immediately as possible (assuming you are buying back the same ticker)...
Well, I am taking this occasion to do a bit of fortuitous market timing.

Have sold about $100K worth, and will need to check to see if the cap gain on the sales did not push me over to the next tax bracket. May get to sell some more on Monday.

And no, I am not buying back the same things, but am looking for something that might be undervalued. Of course, those are undervalued for a good reason, and may stay so for a while. So, I may just sit in cash and wait for a bit.

I am not joking when I say I am a market timer. Not proud nor ashamed of it. I just am. Heh heh heh...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #11423
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Retired. See "Class of 2012" thred.

Congratulations !
Old 11-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #11424
Recycles dryer sheets

100% chance of a SHOWER today...
Old 12-01-2012, 05:07 AM   #11425
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations to both of the new retirees. Enjoy your life!
Old 12-01-2012, 08:00 AM   #11426
Moderator Emeritus

I finally found a 2mm neoprene long-sleeve high-neck rashguard in Haleiwa at the Xcel factory outlet. (I've researched websites and phoned all over the island, and this was my fifth store.) I'm glad I didn't try to buy this online, because I ended up needing a XXL. Apparently they're made by hobbits, but at least it was a 20%-off sale.

South shore surf has been less than memorable this year, and today's forecast was "flat". Not "1-3", not even "0-2", but "Flat-- just go anywhere else." So as long as I was up in Haleiwa I checked out the breaks at Laniakea, Jock's, and Chun's. It was forecast at 15-18 and they weren't kidding. I saw the rescue helicopter make a pass (just looking?) and not one but two surfers come out of the water with broken boards. So next week I'll go back up there looking for a break that's slightly mellower.

The blogger known as "Mr. Money Mustache" is spending this month and next in Kailua, so today all the local Mustachians are having a meetup in Kailua Beach Park.
Meeting of Mustachians this Saturday – Kailua Beach Park | Mr. Money Mustache
I have three copies of the pocket guide to give away to servicemembers, veterans, or family members. Just stop by and ask if you're in the top three.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #11427
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutashen View Post
well i went into work shook hands and said goodbye I am retired !!! freedom at 55 Wu Ha
Congratulations. Stop by here and add your name to the class of 2012 http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...a-54646-6.html
Old 12-01-2012, 09:14 AM   #11428
Administrator

Spent yesterday afternoon visiting Mom. This time DW came along and we went through the kitchen cabinets, clearing up space for her nice things and taking out some of the junk that accumulates along the way. More than one piece of the "junk" is something I gave as a "gift" in years gone by. Took out one large box, another is ready for a repeat next week.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #11429
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
The heavens just opened up here and delivered a torrential downpour. Visibility is down to only a few hundred yards, and we even have lightning. We only see lightning a couple times a decade, but all of the vog in the air probably made it super-conductive.

Welcome to winter in paradise!
Please send the rain! Our drought continues. Perhaps just a few inches since we came back to Il in June. All rivers and streams are very low. The corn and soy crops that were lost or down 50% look to be a problem next year, especially if we have a winter like last year. The Illinois river is a half mile from our house, and it looks like barge traffic will stop soon.
The Mississippi looks as if it may stop all barge traffic, and that will be a major catastrophe for prices of bulk goods, like coal, sand, grains etc.

We're going to Starved Rock today to see just how low the river is. Weather near the '60's.
Mississippi River could become impassable in two weeks - KansasCity.com
Old 12-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #11430
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My colleagues and staff had our last charity run and ride of the season. At the end of the event, they asked me to give a little speech and then they hand me run thru a long line of arched hands. Afterwards they presented me with two banners, each of which had about 150-200 messages from the employees I've worked with for the past 13 years, or in a few cases, the past 25 years. Many wrote of some small kind thing that I had done for them over the years, most of which I only vaguely remember. It brought home to me that as an employer or as a boss, we are probably remembered more for how we treat our people than for anything else we do. Even as I prepare to leave this phase of life behind, I am truly honored to have had the opportunity to work with my colleagues in Japan.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #11431
Give me a forum ...

Today I moved my main computer system from the bedroom to my living room. I wasn't using the computer much and all it was doing was gathering cat dander

Sometime next week, I gotta try and consolidate the data the computer with a tempory computer I'd been using in the living room. Plus, I might have to do a restore from image, and reinstall as the computer is kinda limping along .
Old 12-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #11432
Give me a forum ...

Decided to do some work in my backyard. While clearing some brush, a bunny hopped out and let it be known my endeavor was not appreciated.

I backed off slowly...he looked docile enough, but I know he's got teef.

The rest of the clearing can wait until spring.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #11433
Recycles dryer sheets

Volunteered a couple of hours with my Little Brother on sports (basketball, soccer) and a trip to the movies (Wreck-it Ralph - recommended)
Walked to our town and enjoyed the Christmas Parade (every marching band, scout troop, dance club antique car and church group for miles - 90 minutes long).
Spent a couple of hours doing Navy admin work (awards) while watching the Alabama-Georgia game.
A good day.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #11434
Moderator Emeritus

It was a rainy day here. I watched some movies, played video games, and read a couple of magazines. Oh, and I updated the spreadsheet that I use to track my passive income. I am happy with the YTD growth. Tomorrow, I'll probably work on next year's budget.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #11435
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Decided to do some work in my backyard. While clearing some brush, a bunny hopped out and let it be known my endeavor was not appreciated.
I backed off slowly...he looked docile enough, but I know he's got teef.
He has a family hiding back in there?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #11436
Give me a forum ...

Ah, this reminded me to try to make rabbit stew in red wine, something I have not had. Some use white wine. Decision, decision...

But first, I must acquire a rabbit, already cleaned and pot-ready. I think I know a purveyor in town.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #11437
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Please send the rain! Our drought continues. Perhaps just a few inches since we came back to Il in June. All rivers and streams are very low. The corn and soy crops that were lost or down 50% look to be a problem next year, especially if we have a winter like last year. The Illinois river is a half mile from our house, and it looks like barge traffic will stop soon.
The Mississippi looks as if it may stop all barge traffic, and that will be a major catastrophe for prices of bulk goods, like coal, sand, grains etc.

We're going to Starved Rock today to see just how low the river is. Weather near the '60's.
Mississippi River could become impassable in two weeks - KansasCity.com
I wish I could send you some rain! Right now the local streams are rapidly rising, and the heavy rain is expected to continue for about 3 more hours...trees down all over the place...the flooding is sudden and fast.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #11438
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmary View Post
I wish I could send you some rain! Right now the local streams are rapidly rising, and the heavy rain is expected to continue for about 3 more hours...trees down all over the place...the flooding is sudden and fast.
Don't give it all to imoldernu!

Photos of the local lake, currently 89% empty...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 628x471-2.jpg (60.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 628x471-3.jpg (58.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 12-02-2012, 10:08 AM   #11439
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
He has a family hiding back in there?
I don't think so... The stuff I was tearing out was low and sparse. It was growing in a bed of lava rock, so I don't think it would make a good home..

But then again, when I noticed the rabbit, 'he' had hopped out of it not three feet from me. That's when I decided I should leave the bunny's hiding place alone.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #11440
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Don't give it all to imoldernu!

Photos of the local lake, currently 89% empty...
Very sad, REWahoo,
I sincerely hope that you all get your needed rain soon, and the drought will be a distant memory.
Closed Thread