Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #11461
Moderator Emeritus

(Mild spoiler alert for Bond fanatics.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Wow. I remember being mesmerized by "Goldfinger" when I was a kid. To me, Connery is Bond. James Bond.
At one point Bond was forced to revert to Sean Connery's old car, which (according to the movie plot) has apparently been safely stored in a London garage for decades. As they drove away, M was complaining snarkily from its passenger seat. Bond flipped up the top of the (manual) gearshift and poised his thumb over the big red button.

I don't think anyone born after 1970 would have recognized that homage...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #11462
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This morning I went to the oral surgeon for my dental implant surgery. He removed the remnants of the old tooth, and then decided to do a bone graft to "beef up" the bone before doing the implant. They use sterilized, irradiated cadaver bone, which I thought was interesting. Then he sutured it up. Since he had to do the bone graft, the implant itself cannot be done until late March.

Today's procedure was 100%, completely painless due to much Novacaine plus laughing gas, which is new for me. He prescribed some heavy prescription pain meds and told me to take them after I got home, before the Novacaine wore off.

So, I did and believe me, I am feeling no pain..... I plan to spend the rest of the day at home in my easy chair, surfing the internet and playing video games.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 12-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #11463
Give me a forum ...

Just don't munch, might end up biting things you would rather not.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:24 PM   #11464
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
So, I did and believe me, I am feeling no pain..... I plan to spend the rest of the day at home in my easy chair, surfing the internet and playing video games.
Feelin' fine on cloud nine....

Old 12-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #11465
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
(Mild spoiler alert for Bond fanatics.)

At one point Bond was forced to revert to Sean Connery's old car, which (according to the movie plot) has apparently been safely stored in a London garage for decades. As they drove away, M was complaining snarkily from its passenger seat. Bond flipped up the top of the (manual) gearshift and poised his thumb over the big red button.

I don't think anyone born after 1970 would have recognized that homage...

Oh man, that Aston Martin! Ejector seat, oil slick, smoke screen, bulletproof shield, machine guns, hub knives, and tracking device.

What a great movie - Jill Masterson painted gold, Oddjob and his hat, Goldfinger flying out of the plane, Slazenger golf balls, the bomb that ticked down to 007, and far from least: Pussy Galore.

I think Bond even referenced the Beatles!

Time for me to watch it again.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #11466
Moderator Emeritus

Today I think I stayed out of my house for about five minutes longer than I should have.

I lunched with an entrepreneur friend to talk about his startup company, so I usually "dress up" for these meetings: jeans and an aloha shirt (instead of shorts & t-shirt). On the way home I stopped at Costco for our usual weekly groceries & pizza. I was by myself, and I was getting a little introverted/tired, so I was moving fast and avoiding eye contact. I was ready to head home, the sooner the better.

As I left the Costco cash register, stuffing my wallet in my pocket and reaching for my cart, I was accosted by an employee carrying a clipboard and a barcode scanner. He was blocking my way and I had to pull up short, well within our personal spaces.
Ruh-roh, trouble.
"Excuse me, sir."
Ruh-roh, excusing himself and calling me "sir"-- double trouble. What in the world could I have done?
"Can I tell you more about Costco's executive membership program?"
I just looked at him, and apparently he read my mind. Of course if he'd been blocking people at the register like that all day, then he'd probably learned from experience.

I've been going to this Costco for over a decade, and I've never been stopped like that before. As I left, it occurred to me that I was dressed in business attire. Poor guy, he probably thought I was executive-membership material. If he'd seen my usual beach-bum attire he would've asked me to surrender my membership card.

Quote:
They use sterilized, irradiated cadaver bone, which I thought was interesting.
Would that be a human cadaver? How would you know?
What part of the skeleton is the bone taken from? I bet Louis C.K. or Ray Romano could get three standup minutes out of these questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Oh man, that Aston Martin! Ejector seat, oil slick, smoke screen, bulletproof shield, machine guns, hub knives, and tracking device.
Time for me to watch it again.
The Aston Martin's machine guns had a much higher bodycount in the 2012 movie!

They brought in a new "Q" too. They knew they'd never achieve the distinction of the original, or of John Cleese, so they took it in a completely different direction.

I enjoyed the full theater experience, but I'm probably good for another 6-12 months.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 12-06-2012, 04:33 AM   #11467
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
This morning I went to the oral surgeon for my dental implant surgery. He removed the remnants of the old tooth, and then decided to do a bone graft to "beef up" the bone before doing the implant. They use sterilized, irradiated cadaver bone, which I thought was interesting. Then he sutured it up. Since he had to do the bone graft, the implant itself cannot be done until late March.

Today's procedure was 100%, completely painless due to much Novacaine plus laughing gas, which is new for me. He prescribed some heavy prescription pain meds and told me to take them after I got home, before the Novacaine wore off.

Irradiated cadaver bone. Egads! Good luck in your recovery. I thought I had it rough - I'm going in tomorrow to have my temp crown replaced by the permanent one - there was some mention of a root canal if I have pain, but ok so far. The only pain I've had is while I was still getting drilled when the Novacaine started to wear off.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #11468
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...Costco's executive membership program...
As a former nuke, you'll need to spreadsheet this one. For $100/yr v. $50/yr, you get 2% back on purchases v. 1%. Another opportunity for arbitrage!

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 12-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #11469
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Would that be a human cadaver? How would you know?
What part of the skeleton is the bone taken from? I bet Louis C.K. or Ray Romano could get three standup minutes out of these questions...
Hmmm... Nords, your posts always provide us with food for thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Irradiated cadaver bone. Egads! Good luck in your recovery. I thought I had it rough - I'm going in tomorrow to have my temp crown replaced by the permanent one - there was some mention of a root canal if I have pain, but ok so far. The only pain I've had is while I was still getting drilled when the Novacaine started to wear off.
Surprisingly (to me), things have been going pretty well in my case. I was instructed to take one of the pain meds yesterday before the Novacaine wore off, and did, but by the time the Novacaine wore off and it was time to take another pill I realized that I really didn't need pain meds at all. So now it has been 20 hours since I took any and I am just fine. Slept like a baby for almost 9 hours last night, deeply and without any pain issues.

Last night at dinner I managed to eat real, non-liquid food that F brought me, very slowly in teeny-weenie bites and chewing on the other side of my mouth. So, things are looking up. My post op instructions include making sure that I eat enough and get good nutrition to support healing, a delightful directive for a very obese person like me. I'll try not to over-do.

I agree, the irradiated cadaver bone sounds so scary! But frankly, all I could think of when they told me was that at least they weren't going to use MY bone and do an additional surgery to harvest it. After doing some reading online, I gather that one's natural bone grows and replaces the cadaver bone so I will end up with only my bone anyway once that happens.

Good luck in your crown replacement tomorrow. Hopefully you have already been through the worst part when you had the drilling before the temporary crown. I think that is worse than even a root canal these days.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #11470
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
As a former nuke, you'll need to spreadsheet this one. For $100/yr v. $50/yr, you get 2% back on purchases v. 1%. Another opportunity for arbitrage!
I resented being stereotyped by my attire, and interrupted at the worst possible moment during my trip. I thought he was with the fraud or "loss prevention" staff, and in all the years I've been in Costco I've never been accosted like this. But then I don't usually visit Costco in my aloha business attire, and maybe I shouldn't do that anymore.

All of those people standing in line waiting to get to the registers... and he hits them with his pitch after they've completed their transactions. Tone deaf.

But, yeah, those weekly trips are beginning to add up to a possibility of signing up for the $100/year program. Now, if they handed out membership cards to our daughter as well as to me & spouse then it'd be a great deal.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #11471
Give me a forum ...

Went to a local thrift store to pick up a few things. I decided to see if they had anything a bit funky for my friend who will be celebrating a birthday soon. I found this....(for $10)...thought it would look cool in his garden.

The thing is, it looks great in front of my fireplace. Might have to go shopping for him again....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04228.jpg (566.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 12-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #11472
Moderator Emeritus

Speaking of being stereotyped by your attire: yesterday I stopped by a jewelry store, this time attired in khaki slacks and an aloha shirt. (I was on my way to a lunch at a place with a dress code.) Two weeks ago I'd dropped off my mother's rings for an appraisal, and I was returning to pick them up. The proprietor didn't recognize me, which I accept as typical with someone he met for 20 minutes two weeks ago.

But then my ponytail triggered his memory. He looked at my attire and said "Wow. I didn't recognize you." I assured him that I clean up good.

The rings cleaned up good, too. They'd been in "jewelry box storage" for over 25 years, and even the jeweler admitted that the dirt had been difficult to remove.

I wish I knew what these rings cost when they were new. I'm pretty sure that the typical engagement-ring diamond hasn't kept up with five decades of inflation, especially around today's costume jewelry. Considering the look and availability of modern synthetic diamonds, the real thing may be heading down a steep depreciation curve. They're certainly a hassle to insure & secure, to say nothing of the $800 appraisal fee. (The fee is worth his experience & time, but it's still a hassle to document the value of a carbon chain.) And now he has my birthdate, my spouse's birthdate, and our wedding anniversary date in his files. Nothing good can come of giving that info to a jewelry sales expert.

Our daughter just called with an update on junior year. She's halfway through final exams and it looks like she'll survive the rest of them. Whether the next five days are good or bad, on the sixth day she'll be flying home for a three-week vacation. She'll tune up a little on south shore surf and then we'll go hunting the 10-15 footers on the North Shore at Pua'ena Point, Laniakea, and Chun's Reef. She's been told that she'll be a platoon commander next semester, which in her NROTC unit is a three-striper billet. My USNA-trained brain immediately rejoiced "Three-striper liberty, woo-hoo!" but then I remembered that she's already living off-campus at a civilian university. She also said that the wardroom of the USS TEXAS visited their unit last month, and the CO confirmed that women will be assigned to VIRGINIA-class attack submarines in 2013. The official announcement hasn't been made yet but the CNO has been passing the word at all-hands calls.

The blog earned over $130 from Google AdSense in November. In a separate and apparently unrelated act that complies with AdSense's terms & conditions, in a few weeks I'll be making $65 donations each to Wounded Warrior Project and Fisher House. I also just sold a link ad in an older post. Better still it's linked from a couple of keywords in a snarky sentence, and you'd never even notice that it was a paid link. Is this a great country or what?!?

Considering the number of snarky sentences I have on the blog, if I sold link ads for even half of them then I'd be able to retire. Oh wait.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #11473
Gone but not forgotten

Needed to buy a three cordless phone set, because the batteries are all dead or dying in the phones we've had for ten years, and the replacement batteries are $12.99 each at Walmart. So, out shopping, but went to the thrift store first.
Found a 3 phone and also a 4 phone VTech phone set... for $2 each... Figured maybe a few phones would work...
Came home, plugged them in, and both sets work like brand new., so now we have 7 phones...a phone in every room and the garage...

Also... gas fill up... $3.25/gal.

About the diamond thing... I have no idea about value, then vs. now. DW has her ring, plus a double diamond from her mom and grandmom... Never thought about it as far as value. Also some pearls that I bought from Sakata when I was in Japan...

When I worked retail, remember that diamonds had about a 150% markup, so I don't expect much value.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #11474
Give me a forum ...

I am happy to report that I am back in the saddle again.
I have energy.
I am eating real meals.
My Kleenex consumption is back to normal.

I got out of the house 3 days in a row. Considering I was down and out for 12 days with the flu, it feels like getting out of school for summer one more time.

Mr B is doing so much better, healthwise. He started us brought the damn bug home out with the flu, and over a week later was diagnosed with a mild case of pneumonia. He was prescribed antibiotics and prednisone to help him recover from that. So far so good.
The poor guy is in the final stretch of his last semester of college. 2 major projects and 3 finals to go, and as of Dec 12, he will be a free man.
It will be strange to have time together again after 1.5 years of him plugging away at school. Hmmmm...
He's talking about getting a part time j*b doing accounting w*rk and of course taxes in season. I'm trying to convince him otherwise, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #11475
Give me a forum ...

Freebird5825, congratulations in advance to Mr. B on reaching his goal! You two are going to have such fun together now that he has more time. I have no idea how hard it would be for someone to come up with a part time accounting job, but if he somehow manages to find one then at least it wouldn't take up as much of his time as school has.

So glad to hear that you are feeling better! You have had quite a miserable time with the flu this winter. Seems like everybody is sick with something lately. Not me, though - - probably in no small part due to the fact that my surgeon gave me penicillin to take for a week after my bone graft surgery. Speaking of which, I am feeling almost back to normal from that.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #11476
Give me a forum ...

Almost finished painting our master BR this evening. But I have not told the beginning of the story.

We got some wood flooring with the intention of doing the spare bedrooms upstairs. It was stacked up in the garage, and has been there for a couple of months. Then, my wife asked why we shouldn't do the master bedroom first. Well, fine with me, as she had the most stuff in the master BR and had to pack to move it out, while the spare BRs contained my "treasure", which I did not feel like moving at the moment.

So, my wife kept her words and cleared her stuff out. Then, it was my turn to move furniture, tear out the old carpet, remove all floor molding in preparation for the new floor. Of course we saw the dingy walls, and this was the chance to repaint them. It's going to be really "purty".

We took an early break last night to go to a French bistro with our daughter and son. We had such a good time. The food was good, but we now had more appreciation for the presentation of the dishes. Everything looked superb when they brought it out, and we told the waiter so. I thought he let the kitchen staff know that we enjoyed the food. The waiting staff was beaming. Everybody was happy! While I paid the bill, my daughter said she liked to pay for the tip. And she tipped 30%!

I wish I know how to present my food at home like they do in restaurants. Perhaps that should be another retirement pastime for me, to learn to do that. Yes, food and drink to celebrate life!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #11477
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I resented being stereotyped by my attire, and interrupted at the worst possible moment during my trip. I thought he was with the fraud or "loss prevention" staff, and in all the years I've been in Costco I've never been accosted like this. But then I don't usually visit Costco in my aloha business attire, and maybe I shouldn't do that anymore.

All of those people standing in line waiting to get to the registers... and he hits them with his pitch after they've completed their transactions. Tone deaf.

But, yeah, those weekly trips are beginning to add up to a possibility of signing up for the $100/year program. Now, if they handed out membership cards to our daughter as well as to me & spouse then it'd be a great deal.
I'm 100% sure this has nothing to do with your attire on this particular shopping trip and everything to do with your spending levels at Costco.
A couple years ago I had the same experience and they really do get up close and in your personal space. I drank the kool-aid and signed up. Well, I didn't spend enough to cover the extra fee so I went in and cancelled the Exec membership level. A couple months later I still got billed for the extra fee and had to go in yet again to get it all corrected. So NEVER Again for me!!!!! I think the employee gets a bonus for every member they can upgrade. Now if I spent enough at Costco to justify the upgrade cost it would be OK, but I don't spend enough annually to cover it and they messed up my attempt to cancel it.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #11478
Administrator

Changed the oil and filter. Rotated the tires. The cold made my fingers a little numb and clumsy.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:07 AM   #11479
Administrator

Took Mom out to dinner to celebrate her 85th. Lots of fun, we all enjoyed. I had one of my favorite Italian dishes, carpaccio (raw beef thinly sliced).

No one brought a camera (of course) it was determined to be my fault (of course) but my brother has a smartphone with a "good" camera, so she tried to take a picture of the group. She actually nudged aside a diner at an adjacent table to improve the shot.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #11480
Gone but not forgotten

Woke up... watched TV... Dropped in into ER to see what was going on...

"what did you do today" thread... dozily reading the thread... until reaching a post on "watching swimming on the Olympics....

see page 1

doin' better... only 927,326 posts to go...

BTW... wondered if Sarah still goes to pole dancing classes...
Closed Thread