Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #11541

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
You did a lot better than I did. Shares of both of the start-ups that I was a founder of became worthless.
I feel your pain. I'm a member of a real estate LLC heading in the same direction.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #11542
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It bothers me when I keep reading that one way to become a multi-millionaire is to own one's business, or to work for a start-up. Surely, one can, but with as much certainty as going to Las Vegas. It is amazing that I can still retire early despite getting nothing from several years of hard work, first moonlighting while at megacorp, then full-time work, often without pay to keep the company afloat.

I still carry scars from those days, but they are more emotional and not much financial, thanks heaven.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #11543
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It bothers me when I keep reading that one way to become a multi-millionaire is to own one's business, or to work for a start-up. Surely, one can, but with as much certainty as going to Las Vegas. It is amazing that I can still retire early despite getting nothing from several years of hard work, first moonlighting while at megacorp, then full-time work, often without pay to keep the company afloat.

I still carry scars from those days, but they are more emotional and not much financial, thanks heaven.
It's worked for me and three other people I know, which would seem better than Vegas odds.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:59 AM   #11544
Give me a forum ...

It is interesting in that both my dad and I took a more unusual path of working for a Megacorp in both cases making a good salary, saving and investing rather than owning a business. Dad had several businesses on the side over the years, some were successful and others were duds. I didn't have any side businesses.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:08 PM   #11545
Give me a forum ...

Played golf this afternoon. Came home to find out the damn dog ate over half a pound cake my neighbor gave me just yesterday. A good old home made one too. He literally had to stand on hind legs with paws on counter to fill his belly. Oh well.....I need to lose a few pounds anyway.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:14 PM   #11546
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Came home to find out the damn dog ate over half a pound cake my neighbor gave me just yesterday.
Tis' the season!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 12-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #11547
Give me a forum ...

Yeah.....I said a few similar words.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:59 PM   #11548
Moderator Emeritus

Our daughter's been home for a week. It's been a busy week, mostly surfing.

Thursday night our family had dinner with a friend's family whose son (also a college junior like our daughter) is interested in joining the Navy and becoming a submariner. It was a great chance to tell a bunch of sea stories review all the fun things that I experienced at nuclear power school, nuclear prototype training, submarine school, and the first three years of sea duty. It was a fascinating evening of conversation, and both of them still want to become nukes, but my nightmares should fade in another week.

Over the last year we've helped out a number of neighbors with bad water heaters, leaky faucets, and other handyman repairs. We usually charge $25/hour + parts (or we work for food) but now it's payback time. An incredible variety of yummy baked goods has crossed our threshold during the last 48 hours.

Today our daughter is out with friends, so spouse and I lazed around the house and got caught up on chores. Our fridge is fully stocked so our only reason to leave the house for the next five days would be... more surfing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Got one of the usual Christmas letters from a former neighbor listing all the usual things that their family has done in the last year. The part that floored me was that the last portion was a political rant about how unhappy they were with the last election.
Here's one for you from the Christmas letter of our own disgruntled voter:
"The light of faith and freedom shines brightly in our home, but it is ever darker outside. Hard won freedoms so recklessly given away are difficult to regain. But all is not lost. There remain a precious few who still remember and live their lives in defiant liberty; they are the true leaders. An ember of freedom is still alight and where there is human freedom there is hope. It stands to remind us of what Christmas is all about!"

We've been reading something similar in their Christmas letters for over a decade.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:20 AM   #11549

Picked up the motorcycle at the shop where it had been for the state inspection sticker, new front tire, battery (the old one was working fine but it was four years old so that was a preemptive replacement) and general service prior to winter. I don't "winterize" it as I will ride some through the winter but it'll do more sitting than riding for the next few months.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:33 AM   #11550
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Flew to SFO from Tokyo, DS flew in from Utah, and we met at the airport...not 30 seconds after we stepped out of customs, he walked into the arrivals area. I love it when a plan comes together. Then we rented a car and drove the last 3 or so hours of our journey, out to our home. It's good to be back. We have a couple of gifts for DS and DD, but haven't really had any time for Christmas shopping, so retirement is my gift this year, and DW got a Step Tansu right before the movers came, so she's calling that her Christmas present.

For me, the best gift I get every year, is hugs from the people I love the most...my DW and kids.

Today, we'll go to the new to us congregation of our church, then turn in the rental car in town, and have dinner with my parents. Here and there, we'll work on the suitcases.

R
Old 12-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #11551
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mostly a quiet day at home. Parents drove over to have lunch with our 31 yo who is visiting from Maine. DH and i stayed home to allow them a more intimate visit; they have not seen him in over a year.

We visited a favorite pub this evening. Had first ever shot of pickle juice and Jameson, i kid you not. A guy was buying them for everybody. Not bad....my first time to drink Jameson and to drink pickle juice.

Watching Weather Channel. We had hopes that central AR was getting some serious snow on Christmas Day. Now they are calling for just rain.

Bah & Humbug.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #11552
Recycles dryer sheets

I gave our daughter and ten of her friends a winter hayride this evening. We had a birthday party to celebrate her becoming a teenager.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #11553

I made the best damn lamb steak I've ever had in my life. Kind of exciting.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:16 AM   #11554

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
I made the best damn lamb steak I've ever had in my life. Kind of exciting.
Gee Wally, you live in the fast lane!
But that is a pretty good thing to report!

Old 12-24-2012, 06:22 AM   #11555

DW made a big pot of lentil and sausage soup yesterday, too much for us, so I brought some over to a neighbor. They were happy. They went out shopping and she bought me a small pack of bratwurst with blood sausage. I've never tried that combination but I love blood sausage so that may be breakfast today.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #11556
Give me a forum ...

I am busy cooking for Christmas Eve .In about three hours our house will be invaded . We Are having shrimp , turkey , Ham , cheese , seafood dip , scalloped potatoes, pineapple stuffing , and a salad with chocolate cake & cookies for dessert . Tomorrow I will spend in my PJ's recuperating !
Old 12-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #11557
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I am busy cooking for Christmas Eve .In about three hours our house will be invaded . We Are having shrimp , turkey , Ham , cheese , seafood dip , scalloped potatoes, pineapple stuffing , and a salad with chocolate cake & cookies for dessert . Tomorrow I will spend in my PJ's recuperating !
Let me just say YUM!

DH is making veggie chilli and add-ons for tomorrow and I am putting together some brunchy bread pudding and stuff. We are going to DD's and she doesn't cook but has the grandchild to entice us anyway. Other grands will bring other stuff.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #11558

Our first Christmas alone.
We are looking forward to this, after so many years of squeezing a year of living into a day of Family.

Oh yes, we'll have a week of adventure, with visits from our kids, neighbors and friends, but that will happen after Christmas.
For 20+ years we've been in Florida, the month of December has been a whirlwind of Christmas parties, Golf Cart Parades, Luncheons, Decorating, Dances, Caroling, culminating in dinner on Christmas Eve.

This year, we're in Illinois, and will be alone on Christmas day, taking a pass on the Senior Dinner in our up-north community.

DW and I have been luxuriating in the quiet. Curled up by the fireplace, and reminiscing over 65 years of being together (54 married years). A few TV Christmas movies and a final trip to "walk the mall"... our daily trek. The joy of mixing with the last minute shoppers. Tonite, our Christmas lights ride around the neighborhood...

And tomorrow... Watch part of the Disney Parade, and then, a ride to Starved Rock, to check on the eagles, and to Grand Bear Lodge to see how many Chicago folks will spend Christmas day at their condos. Back home for the basketball game. Then for dinner for two... our mutual choice... meatloaf supreme. Candlelight and wine, and maybe a game of scrabble, then back to the fireplace and the recliners, to watch The Christmas Story for the 30th time. Finally, a long winter's nap.

Yep... Boring... Utterly, completely, wonderfully boring.

Life is good!
Old 12-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #11559
Administrator

Tonight we join F's huge extended family for their traditional Christmas Eve dinner at a fine local Italian restaurant. So, we are skipping breakfast and lunch. I know that as we all descend en masse upon that restaurant, we will be silently thinking about and missing those relatives who have passed on and can't join us. On the other hand, I can't believe how much all his little nieces and nephews have been growing lately. It's been hard to get their names right, because I keep calling the little ones by their older siblings' names. And the ones I think should be teenagers, are all grown up.

Life is good.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #11560
Give me a forum ...

Learned of the death of a very close friend. Dug out a bottle of what some consider the world's best beer, Westvleteren 12, and chilled it a bit for the most appropriate way I knew of toasting 35 years of great memories. He would have heartily approved.