Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #11561

Brau, surely a fitting tribute. So sorry for your loss.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #11562

Braumeister, condolences. A great way to remember a friend and say goodby.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #11563
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sister and BIL stayed a night with us as they drove through on the way to see their daughter. We had a really nice visit and they were on their way for the last few hours of their trip by 11 am. Not long after they left, it started snowing and we have a couple of inches on the ground, guess it will be a white christmas. Still coming down slowly.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #11564
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I finally made the terrine that I started yesterday, but the meat was still frozen then, and I had to wait for it to thaw. Anyway it has just finished baking in the oven. Maybe I will serve it tomorrow as a sidedish for the party that I host.

Today's evening, I will go to my brother for Xmas Eve dinner. I have some bottles of Lithuanian beer that I want to share. Never had that before, but what caught my eye was that the beer was 12% alcohol. Whoo wee! Never saw beer that strong before.

Just found the label on the Web to link here.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #11565
Moderator Emeritus

Dawn patrol. We'll be back tomorrow for our traditional Christmas Day surf session.

The vog is unbelievable today. Honolulu/Diamond Head actually looked like they had a layer of pollution hovering over the streets. This month is the 29th anniversary of Kilauea's continuous eruption.

Helped a neighbor fix her garage door keypad, which probably lost its programming when its backup battery died and the HECO power went out. She somehow persuaded a Sears employee to print out the entire 71-page manual. Programming required closing the door, stationing one of us outside at the keypad pressing/holding one button, having her inside pushing/holding two others, and watching the light on the motor flickering its Morse code to acknowledge that it had the new combination.

But she rewarded me with W2R's favorite snack food:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Leonards malasadas Merry Christmas 2012.JPG (563.1 KB, 13 views)

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #11566
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
The vog is unbelievable today. Honolulu/Diamond Head actually looked like they had a layer of pollution hovering over the streets.
This is very visible in the scenery shots shown during the Hawaii Bowl currently underway. Not a particularly good promotion for Hawaii tourism...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 12-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #11567
Give me a forum ...

Beautiful day here today. Temp around 70 degrees. Took the mutt on a hike and a little jogging. Unfortunately a beautiful MS day in December usually means poor weather to follow. Tomorrow tornado's are in the forecast. Hopefully they miss us.

Watching George Bailey right now. Got to make sure his guardian angel gets his wings.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #11568
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Dawn patrol. We'll be back tomorrow for our traditional Christmas Day surf session.

The vog is unbelievable today. Honolulu/Diamond Head actually looked like they had a layer of pollution hovering over the streets. This month is the 29th anniversary of Kilauea's continuous eruption.

Helped a neighbor fix her garage door keypad, which probably lost its programming when its backup battery died and the HECO power went out. She somehow persuaded a Sears employee to print out the entire 71-page manual. Programming required closing the door, stationing one of us outside at the keypad pressing/holding one button, having her inside pushing/holding two others, and watching the light on the motor flickering its Morse code to acknowledge that it had the new combination.

But she rewarded me with W2R's favorite snack food:
OMG, Leonards malasadas? Yummmmm! you lucky!

Not that I could eat another thing at the moment. The parmesan crusted redfish topped with shrimp and crab and sauce and yummy stuff was out of this world, and this being Christmas Eve, I just had to order the bread pudding afterwards...

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #11569
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
This is very visible in the scenery shots shown during the Hawaii Bowl currently underway. Not a particularly good promotion for Hawaii tourism...
Yeah, I'm surprised that the local crowd hasn't vented its spleen on June Jones. That was our last athletic director/coach drama before the most recent one, so maybe our collective memories have forgiven him by now.

But I guess we'll have to wait for another chance to showcase the islands with the Pro Bowl...

The network broadcasters need to show more shots of the lava flowing into the ocean off the east rift. It broke out from its tunnels a couple weeks ago, and there've been lots of people flying to the Big Island for the spectacle.

Just don't sign up for this guy's tour:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LAVA-SURFER-large.jpg (191.4 KB, 14 views)

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:37 AM   #11570
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Today's evening, I will go to my brother for Xmas Eve dinner. I have some bottles of Lithuanian beer that I want to share. Never had that before, but what caught my eye was that the beer was 12% alcohol. Whoo wee! Never saw beer that strong before.
So, we tried the beer above last night. It was drinkable, but nothing spectacular. Then, afterwards I thought of looking it up on the Web, and it got very poor ratings. Hmmm... Didn't think it was that bad. That's telling me something about my knowledge of beers, which I already know is close to zilch. I don't know what the "triple bock" on the beer label means, but a Web site said that it was "Doppelbock" style. Don't know what that means either.

However, we also tried the following beer from the same brewer, and I found it to be tastier. The Web site said that this was a "Belgian dark ale style". I may buy more of this. It also got a better rating.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #11571

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
So, we tried the beer above last night. It was drinkable, but nothing spectacular. Then, afterwards I thought of looking it up on the Web, and it got very poor ratings. Hmmm... Didn't think it was that bad. That's telling me something about my knowledge of beers, which I already know is close to zilch. I don't know what the "triple bock" on the beer label means, but a Web site said that it was "Doppelbock" style. Don't know what that means either.

However, we also tried the following beer from the same brewer, and I found it to be tastier. The Web site said that this was a "Belgian dark ale style". I may buy more of this. It also got a better rating.

Beer Advocate has a great rating system. If you need a beer with a kick, try one of these:

Bourbon Barrel Aged Vanilla Bean Dark Lord - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub - Munster, IN - BeerAdvocate
Old 12-25-2012, 11:54 PM   #11572
Moderator Emeritus

The usual Christmas Day tradition-- dawn patrol. I got a couple good shots of my daughter, but it's always hard to juggle the camera and my reading glasses and the longboard and the four-foot wave heading toward you.

We really enjoyed seeing all the presents that Santa Dude brought the surfer community. The Santa hats were everywhere, too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1825.JPG (440.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1835.JPG (449.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1841.JPG (310.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1842.JPG (417.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1847.JPG (357.7 KB, 24 views)

Old 12-26-2012, 06:33 AM   #11573

And in contrast, the scene in my back yard yesterday morning:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg White_Christmas.jpg (132.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 12-26-2012, 07:31 AM   #11574

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Very nice photo.

Last night we got around to watching "Amahl and the Night Visitors". It must be more than 40 years since I last saw or heard that show but it all came back and I could almost sing along.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:33 AM   #11575
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I think that I like Nords scene better. Posted from another person living in WV.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #11576
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The high quality of the photo makes it even scarier!

I think you've fulfilled my winter curiosity through at least the end of this decade...

Old 12-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #11577
Give me a forum ...

One can't even sing "All the leaves are brown...". There are no leaves left!

How about "All the trees are white..."?
Old 12-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #11578

Starting on fifth day of the entire side of my husbands immediate family being at our house for Christmas. Love them dearly but it's time they went home! Unfortunately they're not leaving until Monday which will give me two whole days to decompress before having to go back to work.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #11579
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Starting on fifth day of the entire side of my husbands immediate family being at our house for Christmas. Love them dearly but it's time they went home! Unfortunately they're not leaving until Monday which will give me two whole days to decompress before having to go back to work.
You have my sympathies! Next week would be a good time to talk with DH about setting some limits on your hospitality for future years.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #11580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh

You have my sympathies! Next week would be a good time to talk with DH about setting some limits on your hospitality for future years.
Thanks Mead. Everyone lives so far away that this is the only time of year that we see each other. His parents are late 70s, so while I b*tch and moan about them all being here for 10 days, it's the right thing to do. However next year I will take an extra week of vacation after instead of before so I can be sane before going back to work.

Closed Thread