Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 07:23 AM   #11621

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Mr. nu, I think the issue is what happens if the check to the tax collector does finally show up and they cash it. Chances are you'll end up with an overdraft and then you'll be in a p!ssing match between the tax folks and your bank on who pays the charges. Even if you do have the $ in the account to cover the check, if you've ever overpaid a govt. entity and then tired to get a refund of that overpayment, you'll have some appreciation for why it might be worth $35 to avoid the hassle.
You got it.

Even if the check was not cashed by the payee but someone else with a forged endorsement, you still have to go through the hassle of recovering the fund if the check clears or dealing with the overdraft fees if it doesn't.

Either way you'll "be made whole" but it does take a lot of time & effort better spent one other things. The $35 for stopping payment makes the whole issue moot. For many it's worth the insurance to not be bothered with it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #11622
Full time employment: Posting here.

The district attorney in my county operates an efficient bad checks unit. I've recently had personal dealings with the unit.

1. In a personal business transaction a perpetrator gave me a check on a closed bank account. I deposited the check at my bank. Several days later the check was returned. I took the check to the bad check unit. After a few weeks I received the full value of the check at no cost to me. I did not hear what happened to the perpetrator.

2. DS's paper paycheck was stolen and cashed by a co-worker.I've had bad co-workers, but never that bad.The bad check unit unit put the guy in jail and returned full value of the check to DS at no cost to him. DS was going to have to go to court and testify, but the perpetrator pleaded guilty.

The bad check unit said to NEVER accept a post-dated check, because that is a civil matter that the district attorney CANNOT handle.

I'm VERY careful with the checks I write, because I don't want the bad check unit to come for me.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #11623
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Woke up today, found that although "the leaves are not brown", "the sky is gray". It is a bit cooler, and threatens to rain.

So, we skipped our morning walk, just lazing around, surfing Web on his/her computers. Just had a sandwich for lunch, and am surfing some more. Have some chicken pieces out of the fridge, with the intention of making "chicken with 40 cloves of garlic" later for dinner. Cue from another thread about cooking. However, I may take an afternoon nap first.

Life is so darn good, people who are still working should be locked out from reading this thread. I would be driven insane if I were in an office, I tell ya.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #11624
Give me a forum ...

On my way to my camp, stopped a goodwill, scored a navigation GPS Garmin C340. Listed for $26, with a sticker that qualified for 50% off, so paid $13. Have laptop with Delorme map w/gps in the the suburban, but this is for the pickup truck.

The unit is older, but works. Though it is important to know the limitations. Plugged it in, stuck it to the windshield, it locked on satellites and displayed location in about 2 minutes. Did not give it instructions on where to go, just used it to see how it works. It assumed the place to go is the nearest large city, so it was giving directions. Karen was apoplexic at constantly having to recalculate.

It would have gladly taken me on roads I know to be impassable by auto, or even by motocross. Maybe on foot. Also would have me go over a bridge that has benn blocked off for over fifteen years.

Lesson: In all cases have a backup plan and temper Karen's instructions with a healthy dose of scepticism and reality check.

THe camp is still covered in a lot of snow. Fired up the trusty double barrel woodstove, hiked around a bit on the trails cut by deer. Back to the mancave, thawed out, made some tea, toasted some bread add peanut butter an' strawberry preserves. Spent more time admiring the scenery, then came home. The new to me Gps worked well, in displaying the route, and merryly spent time recalculating.

I guess I'll go on Garmins website, download the instructions and read them. Yepp, when all else fails, read the instructions. In techie language: RTFM.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #11625
Give me a forum ...

DW and I went skiing today - second outing this week. Conditions were good with a couple inches of new powder overnight. One of the best conditions we have had this year - I think I'm close to getting into skiing shape.

On our fourth run DW was leading and missed a sign went down a double black diamond. I was quite surprised because usually we stick to intermediate and single black diamond trails unless conditions are really outstanding but buy the time I yelled to her she was about 30 yards down the trail and didn't hear me - no problem getting down but it was a lot of work and huffing and puffing so we decided it was a good time to take an early lunch.

We did a bit of grocery shopping on the way home. When we got home I raked the edges of the roofs of snow as we are expecting rain over the next couple days which will mess up skiing and snowmobiling for a while.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 01-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #11626

Rainy day, but those are beautiful in retirement.

Seems i don't get really going until 10AM. Quick errands after that. After lunch (3 bean vegetarian chili--according to nutritional info, fiber amount is quite impressive.)

THEN, i sat with a lady who will turn 100yo on January 24. We watched CNN and Katie Couric. I let her choose because it was her tv; I was "babysitting" as a hospice volunteer while her 60+ granddaughter visited the dentist. Interesting couple hours --gave me much to consider. The patient wanted to make sure granddaughter would be back in time to fix dinner.

DH and i watched karaoke at a Mexican restaurant near us this evening. We don't sing (they would so boot us out). It is our Thursday night treat.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #11627

Finished up installing timing belt, water pump, Idlers and tensioner, valve cover gaskets and spark plug boot seals, spark plugs, Cam and Crankshaft seals, all new betls on my sons 2000 Toyota Solara 3.0 V6 engine. What a task this was. I have very little skin left on both arms. I hurt all over but a good nights sleep will fix that. I saved my son probably $800 by doing this for him. I wanted to make sure I still had it in me also. I am getting oldbecause when I did this for a living I did not hurt this bad. Next time I think I will just remove the engine. I think I could have saved time by doing that. The car has very little room to work when doing a job like this. I think it took me 6 hours just to replace the valve cover gaskets and spark plug boot seals in valve covers. It runs great and I will be starting another project similar next week. Its fun doing this and not having to get in a hurry like when I worked for a living. This is retirement for me, doing something I enjoy and saving my family money. I am glad I learned a skill when I was young. oldtrig
Old 01-10-2013, 10:23 PM   #11628
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post
Finished up installing timing belt, water pump, Idlers and tensioner, valve cover gaskets and spark plug boot seals, spark plugs, Cam and Crankshaft seals, all new betls on my sons 2000 Toyota Solara 3.0 V6 engine. What a task this was. I have very little skin left on both arms. I hurt all over but a good nights sleep will fix that. I saved my son probably $800 by doing this for him. I wanted to make sure I still had it in me also. I am getting oldbecause when I did this for a living I did not hurt this bad. Next time I think I will just remove the engine. I think I could have saved time by doing that. The car has very little room to work when doing a job like this. I think it took me 6 hours just to replace the valve cover gaskets and spark plug boot seals in valve covers. It runs great and I will be starting another project similar next week. Its fun doing this and not having to get in a hurry like when I worked for a living. This is retirement for me, doing something I enjoy and saving my family money. I am glad I learned a skill when I was young. oldtrig
Wow oldtrig, you are a super Dad! I hope your son appreciates all the work you did for him.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:58 AM   #11629
Give me a forum ...

My big deal today is to get a haircut. Glad there's still hair to cut!

I read these other posts about people's complaints with their jobs and think, "Geez, there but for the grace..."

Old 01-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #11630
Give me a forum ...

Last night I went to a retirement party for my old boss. He is 69 and certainly didn't have to work that long, but he did. Actually he wasn't there half the time, made a killing and got to go on lot's of nice business trips that was more pleasure than actual work so he had a deal hard to give up. But he recently remarried(previous wife died) and is ready to do lot's of traveling with his new companion.

I actually enjoyed the party. Saw lot's of old work mates I hadn't seen in several years. Oh yes, I also saw my original boss who hired me back in 1980(He's 96). I worked under him for 8 years. Although he was more of a hands on type of a boss, he was a good one too. I'm glad I'm retired, but I was lucky to only have 2 bosses over my 27 years there who pretty much left me alone to do my job.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #11631
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like a nice collegial place to work. These are rare these days, as workplaces become cut-throat.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #11632

This morning I felt in an anti-Paleo mood, and put black beans, tomatoes, onion, turmeric, cumin, and salt together in the crockpot. Maybe I'll make some cornbread (with maple syrup for sweetening) later this afternoon to go with.

Life is good Time for a nap....
Old 01-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #11633
Dryer sheet wannabe

I am not retired yet, but I haven't worked a Friday, Saturday or Sunday in 25 years. So it was a pretty typical day for me, except I was researching the various wireless providers looking for the best deals. My company has provided my phone since the beginning of cell phones. After Jan 31st., I will be without a company phone. YAAAAA!!!! BTW--Looking forward to having my own smartphone that doesn't lock on it's own every 30 minutes. I'm not going to miss the corporate hoops!

I'm not retiring from life… just a job.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #11634
Give me a forum ...

I stayed around the house while Mr B played his first match of shuffleboard at the VFW. He's not very good but he has fun playing. He will go play every Sat afternoon for the next 2 months.
I made a nice display frame for a US Navy coin that his son sent him for Xmas, complete with a retyped Sailors Creed. I used an antique frame, black felt, straight pins and short nails to secure the coin. Result is below. With time the bright white paper will fade and fit in more with the antique theme of the frame.
I emptied the dishwasher, surfed, and planted some carrots and radishes in an Earthbox inside the house.
We are both scheduled to help cook breakfast at a fundraiser for the Boy Scouts (sponsored by the Legion) at our local Legion tomorrow at o'dark thirty. I'm on pancake and french toast duty, along with mass egg cracking as needed for the omelet cook.
Mr B does the bacon and sausage. I used to do that but my hot flashes get too intense in front of that hot grill.
All in all it's fun and great exercise to do the cooking except for the early AM rise. I have to set my alarm clock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NavyMedalFrame2013.jpg (378.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 01-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #11635
Moderator Emeritus

Spurred the economy a little today, buying a new pair of running shoes, socks, flannel shirt, and a pair of cargo pants. Luckily REI didn't have kayaks in stock.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:57 AM   #11636

Yesterday we finished cleaning out/setting up FIL's house to put on sale. Thankfully, he was fairly spartan when it came to accumulating "stuff" and there has been relatively little to deal with.

All this has made us acutely aware of how much stuff we have accumulated and the volume we would have to deal with if we suddenly had to move. So we've started getting rid of stuff, but that will be slowed a bit while we sort through the last of FIL's items that nobody wants and are too good to throw out. I see some trips to Goodwill in our near future.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #11637
Give me a forum ...

Woke up at 9:30, then at 10. Finally got out of bed around 10:30. Enjoyed a cup of coffee and a donut. Been walking around the house looking for projects...noticed the blinds are dusty and the hamper is full of towels that need to be washed.

Hmmmm....

Think I'll have another cup of coffee. ..........and a donut.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #11638
Give me a forum ...

I remembered to log on here.

I had my gas furnace serviced and hot water heater flushed. A thermocouple was looking unhappy so I had him replace it ($15 part) instead of having it fail and cost me another service call ($50 + $15 part).

I had my house cleaned by a new cleaner. She w*rked for 5 hours and did not complete the entire j*b. I instructed her to leave the knick-knacks alone (I can do those), just pick up and dust under them, and concentrate on the heavier tasks - vacuuming and mopping the floors and the bathroom. I have cleaned the house myself and know the amount of time it takes when being efficient. I also know when a j*b is being milked to "up" the hours spent.
So I will contact the cleaning service manager (a very good friend) and ask her to find another cleaner who can follow instructions AND do the entire j*b in the alloted time.

I am staying home tonight while Mr B does his weekly volunteer thing. I had several meds yesterday afternoon and am giving the ol' liver a break.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:34 AM   #11639

Today we meet with the RE agent to finalize listing his house for sale. Whew, getting to this point has been some work!

So later on I'll go into my job and get some rest.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #11640
Give me a forum ...

Today I became a Great Aunt.

The baby weighed 8 lbs 3 oz.....he and momma are doing just fine.

Thirty two plus years ago, I held my newborn nephew in my arms. Soon I'll hold his son. My oh my. ...sigh...