Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #11721
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Raised ranch...
In these parts that means you have some cattle on a section of fenced land up in the hills...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #11722
Administrator

Got all dressed up and went to court in NYC this morning, had lunch at my favorite Turkish restaurant, rode the train home and trudged through the blizzard from the train station to my house (it's only about 4 blocks). Just got home and changed into more comfortable clothes -- and here I am now.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #11723
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Got all dressed up and went to court in NYC this morning, had lunch at my favorite Turkish restaurant, rode the train home and trudged through the blizzard from the train station to my house (it's only about 4 blocks). Just got home and changed into more comfortable clothes -- and here I am now.
You watchin' the snow fall?
Old 02-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #11724

Skated an hour and half, until 12 noon, then shot the breeze with one of the lady instructors who was waiting for her next student. Went for coffe and oatmeal raisin cookie at $$tarbucks.

Made it home, lit a fire in the woodstove. Watched said fire for a while then woke up around 4:30. Re-stoked the fire. Dinner around 5:30 with DW. Watched the wind blow some ice pellets around after dinner while sipping wine and shooting the breee with DW.

Anotherwords a very productive retirement day. Once again.
Now browsing this forum and making some useless comments.

Cheers.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #11725
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
You watchin' the snow fall?
It's coming down like crazy right now, and the wind is really blowing. A big branch from my tamarack tree just fell off, bounced off the roof and landed in the yard. I hope it didn't damage the roof.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:51 AM   #11726

Yesterday was one of those overcast, cold, wet, yucky days that makes one just want to just curl up with the TV or a book and shut out the world.

So I got to playing around with the camera, mounted a macro lens, got out a couple of remote flashes, color gels for them, and played with water in the kitchen sink. In the second one you can see my reflection in the water drop. Well, a pair of eyes anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Water_drops-1.jpg (67.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Water_drops-4.jpg (64.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Water_drops-3.jpg (89.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Water_drops-7.jpg (58.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 02-09-2013, 06:59 AM   #11727

Those pictures are really very cool! I love the colors and how you captured the perfect moment in each.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:23 AM   #11728
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
It's coming down like crazy right now, and the wind is really blowing. A big branch from my tamarack tree just fell off, bounced off the roof and landed in the yard. I hope it didn't damage the roof.
I just got up to see our winter wonderland. The TV news says my town got 38 inches of snow. It sure looks that way. Even the snow plows are stuck. By order of the Governor, all the state roads have been closed since 4 pm yesterday.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #11729
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just a normal winter snowstorm here - about 12" accumulation. Horrible that we would welcome the snow and the center of the storm was a couple hundred miles south.

Went to a college hockey game last night and have another one this afternoon. DW wants to ski tomorrow. We'll see as it is too cold right now to ski for me (7F).

I suspect that our road crews will clean up our roads and then head south to help CT and MA. During the blizzard of 78 we helped out as well.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #11730
Full time employment: Posting here.

DH cleaned off the snow in the driveway and on the car. I put everything in the crockpot for a split pea soup. Just hanging out and surfing the net
Old 02-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #11731
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
DH cleaned off the snow in the driveway and on the car. I put everything in the crockpot for a split pea soup. Just hanging out and surfing the net
Citrine, you have become an old married lady! Must be nice to have DH to shovel snow!

Old 02-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #11732
Full time employment: Posting here.

Went to a 2 hour class on freezing food with two of my women friends - it was put on by the local university ag extension. What fun:-)! Now we're all excited about garden planning for the summer.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #11733
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmary View Post
Went to a 2 hour class on freezing food with two of my women friends - it was put on by the local university ag extension. What fun:-)! Now we're all excited about garden planning for the summer.
There is more to freezing food than throwing the food in a zip lock bag, carefully squeezing out as much air as possible and then putting the bag in the freezer?

Shouldn't take 2 hours to learn that unless you are in the slow group.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #11734

Spent the day writing a lesson plan and generating an animated iPad/SmartBoard Doceri presentation. My student teaching gig is teaching math to low achieving 8th graders and I have a formal observed lesson on Monday. I have never done anything so difficult in my life and I've had some pretty tough jobs.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #11735

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
There is more to freezing food than throwing the food in a zip lock bag, carefully squeezing out as much air as possible and then putting the bag in the freezer?

Shouldn't take 2 hours to learn that unless you are in the slow group.short bus
fify
Old 02-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #11736
Administrator

When you die from botulism, we'll see who's on the short bus, Sparky.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:26 PM   #11737

Celebrated my Dad's 87th birthday today. My brother cooked crab last night and we ate it today and it was GOOD! I fixed coleslaw, garlic bread, and an apple blueberry crisp. We had a very nice day.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:38 PM   #11738
Recycles dryer sheets

After working all night couldn't get home because the governor closed the roads. Waited all day for them to reopen but finally gave up and found a dark corner to take a nap. Ended up having to work tonight anyways. Only 4 1/2 months left! July 1st can't get here soon enough!
Old 02-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #11739
Give me a forum ...

Raining like crazy today. Going to make my golf course too soggy to play for a few days.

Yesterday I was a pallbearer at my next door neighbor's funeral. He was a very interesting man. Played football as a freshman at Ole Miss in 1942, but took a break from college as he enlisted in the Army. He had a foot injured badly when conducting land mine sweeps, so was sent home. Couldn't play football anymore, but his old college offered to renew his scholarship anyway. He declined and stayed closer to home as he married and finished his college degree at a nearby University.

He didn't let his disability slow him down as he enjoyed the outdoors taking his family on water skiing and fishing trips. He also enjoyed hunting with his son. I remember when my aunt lived in this house she used to tell me about him leaving before the crack of dawn to go hunting with his bird dogs. His son told me yesterday he would come back from those hunts all worn out just trying to keep up with his dad. Pretty amazing considering how much trouble the foot gave him.

I enjoyed visiting with him as he would sit out on the front porch on nice days. He really enjoyed petting my dog. Gonna miss his football and war stories. He almost made it to the age of 90.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #11740
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yesterday I was a pallbearer at my next door neighbor's funeral. He was a very interesting man. Played football as a freshman at Ole Miss in 1942, but took a break from college as he enlisted in the Army. He had a foot injured badly when conducting land mine sweeps, so was sent home. Couldn't play football anymore, but his old college offered to renew his scholarship anyway. He declined and stayed closer to home as he married and finished his college degree at a nearby University.

He didn't let his disability slow him down as he enjoyed the outdoors taking his family on water skiing and fishing trips. He also enjoyed hunting with his son. I remember when my aunt lived in this house she used to tell me about him leaving before the crack of dawn to go hunting with his bird dogs. His son told me yesterday he would come back from those hunts all worn out just trying to keep up with his dad. Pretty amazing considering how much trouble the foot gave him.

I enjoyed visiting with him as he would sit out on the front porch on nice days. He really enjoyed petting my dog. Gonna miss his football and war stories. He almost made it to the age of 90.
That's a fine tribute Dawg.