Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #11761
Administrator

I got one of those Homemedics Shiatsu massage pillows a few months ago to help loosen my muscles and ease any pain after weight lifting. In my case, I actually thought it was awful (for me, only, Freebird! ). It isn't like a real life massage, but more like you are being repeatedly jabbed with unforgiving metal pieces, wham wham wham, like you backed up against a machine. I guess it's the fact that it is an inanimate object doing the massage, that just doesn't go over well with me. I read on the reviews that if you put a towel between you and the pillow it helps, and that did help a little but just not enough. Anyway, for me it was a waste of money. YMMV and obviously does for some or they wouldn't still be making them.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #11762
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I got one of those Homemedics Shiatsu massage pillows a few months ago to help loosen my muscles and ease any pain after weight lifting. In my case, I actually thought it was awful (for me, only, Freebird! ). It isn't like a real life massage, but more like you are being repeatedly jabbed with unforgiving metal pieces, wham wham wham, like you backed up against a machine. I guess it's the fact that it is an inanimate object doing the massage, that just doesn't go over well with me. I read on the reviews that if you put a towel between you and the pillow it helps, and that did help a little but just not enough. Anyway, for me it was a waste of money. YMMV and obviously does for some or they wouldn't still be making them.
That's good to know. If I have a lot of aches and pains I can get a prescription for a course of massage therapy from my doctor and I can deduct the cost from my corporate PHSP. I did that last fall and I think that's a better deal, and more enjoyable.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #11763

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I see you are suffering from 'first year frugality'.
I suffered from that, but not because I was on a budget. When I was w*rking I never had time to price shop so when I saw what I needed I just bought it. Once I was free I had so much time I researched every purchase endlessly and found myself unable to buy some things because I was always sure there was a better deal out there and I knew I could find it.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #11764
Give me a forum ...

I just joined Amazon Prime yesterday. Ordered things (I needed) yesterday and today. [Danger, Will Robinson!!].

Also watched the first two episodes of Downton Abbey and look forward to more.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:33 PM   #11765
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
That's good to know. If I have a lot of aches and pains I can get a prescription for a course of massage therapy from my doctor and I can deduct the cost from my corporate PHSP. I did that last fall and I think that's a better deal, and more enjoyable.
The one I got was this one, not the same as Freebird's.

Amazon.com: Homedics Therapist Select SP-10H Shiatsu Pillow, Beige: Health & Personal Care

As you can see, the first review is from someone who says this pillow is "her new best friend", and many other reviewers loved it. The idea of a pillow that would massage me is appealing to the independant woman in me, but it just doesn't float my boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I just joined Amazon Prime yesterday. Ordered things (I needed) yesterday and today. [Danger, Will Robinson!!].

I joined a few months ago and have been ordering stuff like crazy. I haven't even used the streaming video yet.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #11766
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The one I got was this one, not the same as Freebird's.

Amazon.com: Homedics Therapist Select SP-10H Shiatsu Pillow, Beige: Health & Personal Care

As you can see, the first review is from someone who says this pillow is "her new best friend", and many other reviewers loved it. The idea of a pillow that would massage me is appealing to the independant woman in me, but it just doesn't float my boat.

I joined a few months ago and have been ordering stuff like crazy. I haven't even used the streaming video yet.
Thanks. I do have a Homedics foot spa, which I enjoy. But do NOT, repeat NOT, put soap or shower gel in it! (Otherwise you will be submerged in bubbles!). Don't ask me how I know......
Old 02-12-2013, 11:30 PM   #11767

After my usual 2-mile morning walk (in the drizzle) I finished up details on my first (and possibly only) consulting project and sent the draft off for review. Had a conference call for a volunteer committee, then prepped for two more volunteer committee meetings in the evening. Got an e-mail from my sister who wants to move our mother into assisted living (topic for another thread). Took a short nap :-)

After responding to a few questions on the consulting project, sent a final document along with an invoice Ran off to above mentioned committee meetings eating a snack on the way. Came home to catch up on food and the world online
Old 02-13-2013, 05:12 AM   #11768

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

I like that show. Just read yesterday that Amazon has sole rights to it now and Netflix will stop streaming it soon.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:55 AM   #11769
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
..... I haven't even used the streaming video yet.
It works very well. I happen to have a Displayport port on my Lenovo laptop and I bought a 25' Displayport>HDMI cable (on Amazon of course!) and connect to my widescreen HDTV and chose the HD version.

While I wish I had a remote to pause and play at time, it works well. Best thing - no commercials.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #11770
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Still no snow... total less than 2 inches so far this winter.
(still in Illinois)

What will I do today?...
Going up to the Nursing Home to introduce the "Harlem Shake".
Old 02-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #11771
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I like that show. Just read yesterday that Amazon has sole rights to it now and Netflix will stop streaming it soon.
That alone would be a good reason for me to choose Amazon Prime over Netflix when I decide to take out a streaming subscription again.

I tried the free trial of Amazon Prime recently and the only thing I didn't like about the streaming (in comparison to Netflix) was the inability to go full-screen - or is there a way to go full-screen with Amazon streaming that I missed?
Old 02-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #11772
Recycles dryer sheets

Slept in until I felt like getting up (I love this part of ER).

Read a good portion of "How to retire happy, wild, and free" by Ernie Zelinski (I am really enjoying this book. Thanks to Midpack for the recommendation)

Wrote my Aunt a long email thanking her for always "being there" over the years.

Worked Out (5k run and crossfit-like strength training circuit)

Spent a little time on SecondLife (I have no idea why, Feel free to mock me, LOL...what a poor use of time!)

Played some Far Cry 3 (my newest PS3 game...a questionable use of time but you can't guilt me out of doing it)

Boiled eggs and planned dinner.

Came here and typed this.
Wow! Busy day and it's only 4:23.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #11773
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
That alone would be a good reason for me to choose Amazon Prime over Netflix when I decide to take out a streaming subscription again.

I tried the free trial of Amazon Prime recently and the only thing I didn't like about the streaming (in comparison to Netflix) was the inability to go full-screen - or is there a way to go full-screen with Amazon streaming that I missed?
I think you must have missed it because I did it just last night. One of the buttons in the lower right corner of the video window.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #11774
Give me a forum ...

DW and I went downhill skiing - first time in about a month between so-so weather and being away. Conditions were good, but it would sure be nice to have more show as some trails had thin cover.

Trash/recycling on the way and grocery shopping on the way back.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #11775
Moderator Emeritus

My Investment Plan calls for me to check every year and rebalance if my asset allocation is off too far from target (-75%/+125%). Rebalance Day is February 14.

So... I ran the numbers, and I have to rebalance this year. Work, work, work. A retiree's job is never done... This will really cut into my 'second cup of coffee' sitting time.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #11776
Give me a forum ...

Just spent a very frustrating hour and a half trying to sort out Paypal account. A month ago I was the victim of a phishing scam and it all got resolved. However, the Paypal people had kept my account "limited", which basically meant no transactions. I was unaware of this till today, when I needed to pay the balance on accommodation for my vacation in Maui in April. I called Customer Service twice: the first time, waiting in vain for 35 minutes, the second time, for 45 minutes, before finally reaching a human being who was able to sort it out. The only other alternative would be to get a certified check in US currency and somehow get it to the people I am renting from within 24 hours. That might be tricky!
Old 02-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #11777

Grandkids just departed after a multi-week visit. Visiting Seaworld (again) I tried out a "baby bjorn" - a back strap baby carrier. More comfortable that I expected, definitely easier than holding in my arms. Here's a pic of the bromigos (I'm the one dressed like a South Florida Cuban)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bromigos.jpg (91.9 KB, 31 views)
Old 02-16-2013, 05:47 AM   #11778

Now that looks like fun, and in short sleeves too! I am envious.

We had a busy day yesterday. We started at 7:30 AM taking both vehicles to the shop, DW's car for a state inspection sticker that was lost when the windshield had to be replaced after it was hit by a rock in a construction area on the interstate. My truck was due for it's regular renewal and while there I had them do the oil change & lube. Usually I do that myself but we've been so busy with FIL's house that I just haven't had time and the weather's been lousy anyway.

Then it was off to FIL's house to retrieve the furniture that we had taken over to stage the house, came back, unloaded that here, stopped for lunch on the way back, then loaded up DW's grandfather's bed set that she wanted.

Then it was off to meet a guy at a shopping center to buy a lightly used Nikon SB-900 strobe light for half the price of a new one. Found that on Craigslist.

The bed is still in my truck in the garage and we'll have to get a neighbor's help to unload it because the mattresses are too heavy for DW to help with (her brother helped us load it).

Today we'll be back there to empty out a few more items. Settlement is scheduled for next Friday and we are soooo looking forward to having that done with! When we got home there was an E-mailed report from the structural engineer that the RE agent had hired. There are some horizontal cracks in the cinder block foundation wall the buyer was concerned about and the engineer said basically "That's normal, don't worry about it". Another hurtle cleared and it looks good for settlement to go through.

Did I mention that we'll be happy to no longer have to take care of FIL's house? DW wants to go out to dinner somewhere to celebrate and I'm all for that!
Old 02-16-2013, 06:41 AM   #11779
Give me a forum ...

Went skiing with DW yesterday. The area we went to had just got about 6" of fresh powder and conditions were very good - best of the season. We even did a couple glade runs (glades=woods) which we rarely do but conditions were good and it was a nice change of pace.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #11780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Did I mention that we'll be happy to no longer have to take care of FIL's house? DW wants to go out to dinner somewhere to celebrate and I'm all for that!
A well deserved dinner.