Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #11781
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I got one of those Homemedics Shiatsu massage pillows a few months ago to help loosen my muscles and ease any pain after weight lifting. In my case, I actually thought it was awful (for me, only, Freebird! ). It isn't like a real life massage, but more like you are being repeatedly jabbed with unforgiving metal pieces, wham wham wham, like you backed up against a machine. I guess it's the fact that it is an inanimate object doing the massage, that just doesn't go over well with me. I read on the reviews that if you put a towel between you and the pillow it helps, and that did help a little but just not enough. Anyway, for me it was a waste of money. YMMV and obviously does for some or they wouldn't still be making them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
That's good to know. If I have a lot of aches and pains I can get a prescription for a course of massage therapy from my doctor and I can deduct the cost from my corporate PHSP. I did that last fall and I think that's a better deal, and more enjoyable.
I have persistent aching from muscle knots. I've had massage therapy, which w*rks well for a few months, and then the problem recycles right back. I do the back stretching exercises that I learned in PT, but the problem areas persist.

At $25 co-pay per chiropractor session plus the delay in waiting for approval from my HMO, I figured a home device would be helpful to resolve the problem in real time. I used a smaller version of the HoMedics shiatsu massager and got instant relief. The device arrived yesterday. I will set it up today.

Here is a good diagram of the problem areas in my neck, shoulders and back (courtesy of Jill Dennis - Massage Therapist - ITEC Qualified Therapist)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #11782
Give me a forum ...

I made a crepes and bacon breakfast for Mr B. I had a black cherry Greek yogurt.
I gained 4 lbs and need to minimize eating for a while.

Mr B went off to his PT j*b doing tax prep for a CPA firm owned by a longterm buddy from his days as a govt accountant. He will make 35% of the cost of preparation for each return. He seems happy to be doing PT w*rk, so I do not discourage him.

I planted some chile pepper seeds and transplanted my cherry and beefsteak tomato seedlings. I separated my scallions and replanted the strongest plants in a windowbox. My indoor garden continues to be a source of fun during the winter months. My geraniums (grown from seed in 2012) are in full bloom in the front window. So pretty and cheerful.

My 24/7 radish experiment is going well (below). This Earthbox was planted Jan 11.
I added a row of spinach a few days ago. I'm using up my 2012 seed packets.

I have homemade NE clam chowder in the crockpot for lunch.

I have volunteer duty making pizza for a member appreciation party at the local Legion from 2-8 PM, so I will make very good use of my new shiatsu cushion after that is over.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg indoor-radishes.jpg (371.6 KB, 6 views)

Old 02-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #11783
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was at the grocery store today (unusual for me on a Saturday since I stopped working), and there was the cutest bunch of Girl Scouts standing in the entrance who pretty much all yelled, "would you like to buy some cookies?". I told them I had to get some things, but I would get some on the way out.

So, on my way back to the parking lot, I went up to the one who appeared to be the ringleader and said, "Hi sweetie, I have a serious need for two boxes of thin mints. Can you figure out a way to help me out?". They all (including the mom who was there making sure they didn't get out of control) broke out in smiles, handed me my cookies, took the payment and everyone was happy. Gotta love them Girl Scouts.

And their cookies

Old 02-16-2013, 09:52 PM   #11784

I started cleaning my house at 6am and finished around 11:30am, then I immediately began working on taxes. Then I got an alert about a computer from work not responding to a ping and had to go in to check on it (my cat chewed/broke the device I use to log in from home...). When I got back home, I continued to work on my taxes. I sold two properties in 2012, so that is taking some extra effort this year.

Tomorrow (Sunday) I have to be at work at 6am to apply patches to some computers. I have one more week of being on call (in March) before I retire!!!!!! I will not miss the on call duty at all.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #11785
Give me a forum ...

It took me three afternoons of sorting and investigation, but I finally completed my coin project. I took most of the stuff out of my sd box to get better organized. I was delighted to see I have 45 coins (of various denominations) with silver content. Most were given to us, but a few were coins I had found while going through the 'change jar'. Included in the mix is a load of wheat pennies and various other interesting coins. I cataloged them all for my amusement.

Now I have to go through the paperwork; make sure everything is updated and add some other documents in case of a fire or DH and I go 'poof' at the same time.

Being a responsible adult can sometimes be a lot of work.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #11786
Give me a forum ...

Many years ago, I stumbled across a silver dime in circulation.

The only reason I noticed it was because it kept getting rejected when I dropped it in a vending machine. That prompted me to examine it, which led to the discovery that it was real silver. So, I put it in a corner of the drawer of my desk at work.

Then, a few months later, I remembered about it, and looked for it. It was gone! I must have forgotten, and picked it up to spend it again along with other coin changes. Arghhh! I spent my lucky silver dime!
Old 02-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #11787
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
(snip)
Then, a few months later, I remembered about it, and looked for it. It was gone! I must have forgotten, and picked it up to spend it again along with other coin changes. Arghhh! I spent my lucky silver dime!
Oh no....that's a shame. Especially since it was your lucky silver dime!

The values I gave most of my silver coins was the melt value. Besides your dime being lucky, today's silver value would be $2.16.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #11788
Give me a forum ...

I got and lost my lucky dime in around 1980-1981, as I still remember my desk at the then work place. Back then, it was not worth as much relative to the nominal dime as it is now, though I did not know then how much it was.

I just looked up on ebay. I can replace my lucky dime for about $3, free shipping, but it's not the same thing.

I think that dime was "lucky", because how often one would run across a silver dime in circulation? Once in a while a Canadian penny perhaps, but no way a silver dime! Arghhh!
Old 02-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #11789
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think that dime was "lucky", because how often one would run across a silver dime in circulation? Once in a while a Canadian penny perhaps, but no way a silver dime! Arghhh!
Not for much longer. The Canadian penny was produced for the last time on February 4th.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:54 PM   #11790
Give me a forum ...

OH NO! Not again!

What have I done with that Canadian penny! ARGHHH!
Old 02-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #11791
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
....Here is a good diagram of the problem areas in my neck, shoulders and back (courtesy of Jill Dennis - Massage Therapist - ITEC Qualified Therapist)

I like the picture of the back of your neck, shoulders and back freebird, can you now please provide a frontal shot?
Old 02-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #11792
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I like the picture of the back of your neck, shoulders and back freebird, can you now please provide a frontal shot?
But, but, but, those that is not the area that she said was hurting.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #11793
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But, but, but, those that is not the area that she said was hurting.
Perhaps, but it is important to be through.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #11794

Settled on FIL's house. It's someone else's maintenance problem now. Yippee!
Old 02-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #11795

Spent the day at my camp/mancave. Mostly goofed off, watched the scenery, fed firewood into the barrel stove.

The ride over this morning is as seen in the photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0500.jpg (822.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0501.jpg (752.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-24-2013, 06:43 AM   #11796
Full time employment: Posting here.

Walt34, great news, can see you're happy to have the sale behind you, congratulations!
Old 02-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #11797
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quiet day yesterday, just hanging out. Sat by the firepit for a while outside and let the alpacas play in the yard a while. Went inside and lit a fire in the stove and watched a lot of ice hockey.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:05 AM   #11798

dime.JPG

Funny dime story, at the 1964 Worlds Fair the Atomic energy commission was neutron irradiating dimes. They would zap them and snap the dimes into a blue plastic case. Well every year I would take mine to my annual little league physical and the doctor would get out his Geiger counter and read my dime. Flash forward almost 20 years and along with her other booty, Ms G. shows up with the same prize, but wait, she spent the original dime and replaced it with one dated 1970. And to this days says it is the real dime. Must be back to the future.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #11799

Volunteered as an appraiser at our local Destination Imagination tournament. Elementary kids (my group was 9 and 10 year olds) had to build cars that would fit in a 6" by 6" box and use three different propulsion systems (out of seven choices) to take up to 10 cars from a fixed starting point to one of several squares on the floor that had various points awarded based on where the car stopped.

And they had to create a skit that incorporated the cars. They had a time limit of 8 minutes to present their play and launch their cars. Parents weren't supposed to help at all and they could only spend up to $150 for parts and supplies. The kids all received the challenge rules last September and you could definitely tell which used their full time and which started were the procrastinators.

It was a fascinating day. Watching how they worked together, or not; seeing which ones had an engineering mindset vs who were the creative ones was all so awesome to watch.

This was my first year to volunteer but I'll be doing it again next year for sure.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #11800
Give me a forum ...

Not today but this week, I chaired a conference in Toronto. Expenses were paid but my time was volunteered. I may do some more volunteering with this group but only while my skills remain current and while this activity keeps me intellectually stimulated. As this is what I do best, I do not feel the need to do any other volunteer work.

Toronto is a fine city but after 5 days there I am glad to be home.