Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #11821

That's great!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #11822
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just got home a couple of hours ago from second (and last, obviously) cataract surgery. It went well, so my huge sigh of relief probably blew over a few trees in the next county. I'd not been so nervous about anything in many years.

Now I can start enjoying my new bionic eyes. Going from 20/600 to 20/20 is such an incredible change that it's hard to describe.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #11823
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Just got home a couple of hours ago from second (and last, obviously) cataract surgery. It went well, so my huge sigh of relief probably blew over a few trees in the next county. I'd not been so nervous about anything in many years.

Now I can start enjoying my new bionic eyes. Going from 20/600 to 20/20 is such an incredible change that it's hard to describe.
Congratulations! Can you see well immediately afterward?
Old 03-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #11824
Give me a forum ...

Last night I went to our annual school meeting where the wing-nuts on the school board once again herded the tax-paying sheep to approve an 11% increase in school property taxes to over $1.50 per $100 this year. The school board claimed that it would have been worse if not for their valiant efforts to hold the line on the school budget and the sheep ate up the school board's slop. Budgets keep going up while students keep going down. I'm just wondering where the tipping point is where the sheep will wake up and start to revolt but the sheep are dumb and clueless that I don't have much hope.

Hanging at home today waiting for the Sears guy to come and fix the refrigerator. He was supposed to be here between 8-noon and showed up a 2pm .... but at least he called in the late morning to let me know he was running behind schedule.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #11825
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Congratulations! Can you see well immediately afterward?
Well enough within a couple of hours (double vision until then while the brain adjusts). Based on the first surgery a month ago, it should be very good within a day, and just about perfect within a week.

For those who might be contemplating this, I spoke with the surgeon a bit afterward and asked him how big an incision he used. He surprised me by saying it was 2.4 mm. That's less than 1/10 of an inch. He rolls the implantable lens up like a taco and inserts it where the old natural lens was and it unfolds to full size. Truly impressive.

The other thing that surprised me is that while you're sedated enough to keep you quiet and comfortable, you're fully awake and alert throughout the operation. Just fascinating.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #11826
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Last night I went to our annual school meeting where the wing-nuts on the school board once again herded the tax-paying sheep to approve an 11% increase in school property taxes to over $1.50 per $100 this year.
If it makes you feel any better, our property tax is $2.56 per $100.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #11827
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well it's about 3:15 pm and I have been out twice shoveling the snow. Splittin' the duties with our 19 yr old son. Looks like we got alot more snow coming here in Chicagoland.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #11828
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Ouch. Temps here reached the mid-80's yesterday. That same front that's binging you snow is keeping us in the upper 60's today.

Oh, and before we moved out of the city into the county, our property tax rate was in the $2.70/$100 range...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 03-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #11829
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
Well it's about 3:15 pm and I have been out twice shoveling the snow. Splittin' the duties with our 19 yr old son. Looks like we got alot more snow coming here in Chicagoland.
Please keep it. We don't need any more here in New England.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #11830
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Please keep it. We don't need any more here in New England.
Belay that order!!! We'll take it further north - will help the spring skiing.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #11831
Give me a forum ...

Day 5 of antibiotics...5 more to go. I am so SICK of taking these horse pills. But I will be a good girl and complete the 10 day regimen.
It is really wierd to go to the frig for a cold one and realize I'm not allowed to have one while on the antibiotics. I am at 100% compliance.

Since there is nothing on daytime TV that we want to watch, Mr B and I spent the day together watching another Netflix movie. We both love comedies.
"Anger Management" with Jack Nicholson and Adam Sandler was a hoot.

I did some laundry, did a little more seed planting, and just plain goofed off. It is so nice to have all this time together with Mr B now that he is done with that 1.5 years of college courses.

I'm headed to the Adirondacks for a lunch date on Thursday.
Destination: Otter Lake.
A former co-w*rker found me on Facebook. He invited me to lunch and then go visit at his camp on the lake. He wants to pick my brains about patents (I have two). Mr B has to w*rk at the tax service that day, so he told me to get out of the house and get some fresh air and talk techie with my friend.
ROAD TRIP!!!!
Old 03-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #11832
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I'm headed to the Adirondacks for a lunch date on Thursday.
Destination: Otter Lake.
A former co-w*rker found me on Facebook. He invited me to lunch and then go visit at his camp on the lake.
Just hearing about the Adirondaks, makes me homesick... Years of paddling and camping... not on Otter, but many times, from Old Forge up to Big Tupper, and most smaller lakes along the way. Was my dream to live there in retirement, but Illinois and Florida got in the way.
Hope your trip was fun, and that you get well quick.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #11833
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Just hearing about the Adirondaks, makes me homesick... Years of paddling and camping... not on Otter, but many times, from Old Forge up to Big Tupper, and most smaller lakes along the way. Was my dream to live there in retirement, but Illinois and Florida got in the way.
Hope your trip was fun, and that you get well quick.
TY for the get well wishes. The ear/jaw infection is under control, it's just a matter of finishing the antibiotic regimen. I know how important it is to do exactly that to prevent a recurrence.

I often think about leaving upstate NY, to escape the snow and lack of cultural opportunities...but then I go to Lake Ontario or the Adirondacks and fall in love with the area all over again. I am a true nature lover at heart. The scenic beauty and fresh air are addicting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adirondack_Mountains

http://www.fotosearch.com/photos-ima...mountains.html
Old 03-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #11834
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Enjoyed sunshine and 45F. Now kicking back and awaiting 8 to 14" of snow overnite and into tomorrow.

Have vine, cheese, plenty of coffee and an easy chair near the picture window. Tomorrow will observe the snow plows at their best. And the supporters of retirement going to produce more taxes.

When it all stops, will drag out the snowblower to clear out the driveway.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:55 AM   #11835
Full time employment: Posting here.

Have a day off today....dropping off the car at the garage for fixing and oil change, then making up another batch of moisturizing body wash, finishing up the bulletin board/command center for the kitchen wall, and wasting away time on Pinterest
Old 03-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #11836
Give me a forum ...

I decided to do some spring cleaning. My housecleaner got pregnant several months ago, and I've been doing it myself at a very light level of effort.

The master bedroom was screaming for a thorough cleaning. So I put on the tunes and got the vacuum cleaner out. I pulled the extension wands and soft brush attachment out, a.k.a. the lazy woman's duster. The method: Put the wand (with brush on) under your arm at the elbow. Turn on the vacuum cleaner. Take each knick-knack and move it gently around the soft brush. Use the soft brush on the flat surfaces under the knick-knacks. Also use to remove dust from vertical surfaces. Piece of cake.
No chemicals, all dust sucked right into the vacuum.

I also vacuumed the wooden mini blinds. No trilobites were discovered during the disturbance of the sedimentary layers of dust.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #11837
gone traveling

Imparted my words of wisdom to people on this site
Old 03-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #11838
Give me a forum ...

Contemplated the debt of gratitude I owe the site-dwellers for their words of wisdom.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #11839
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Contemplated the debt of gratitude I owe the site-dwellers for their words of wisdom.

your welcome
Old 03-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #11840
Give me a forum ...

I burped after chugging a beer too fast.