Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #11841
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Anything like this?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #11842
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not quite...

Perhaps I should rephrase my original post....

'I burped after chugging a beer too quickly.' Proper grammar don't ya know.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #11843
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Not quite...

Perhaps I should rephrase my original post....

'I burped after chugging a beer too quickly.' Proper grammar don't ya know.
This was a common drinking challenge when I was in college.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #11844
Give me a forum ...

The talents of men never cease to amaze me. Leaves me breathlessahhhh....
Old 03-07-2013, 06:54 AM   #11845

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

The talents of men never cease to amaze me. Leaves me breathlessahhhh....
That ain't nothin' honey. Y'got real talent when one can play "The Star Spangled Banner" out his... well, never mind.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #11846
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Contemplated the debt of gratitude I owe the site-dwellers for their words of wisdom.
What forum are you reading?

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 03-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #11847

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
What forum are you reading?
Old 03-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #11848
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
That ain't nothin' honey. Y'got real talent when one can play "The Star Spangled Banner" out his... well, never mind.
...I have a feeling THAT would truly leave me breathless...

As for my day, I worked out in the yard for three hours for the first time this year. I feel fine now, but I imagine my bod will be singing a different tune later tonight.

....and no, not "The Star Spangled Banner"......
Old 03-08-2013, 07:32 AM   #11849

DW is on Day Two of a Cleaning Rampage. This happens from time to time when a "tipping point" is reached and she decides there is too much stuff around here and "we" need to get rid of it. Like the jacket I bought during the Nixon administration.

Normally we put out two, perhaps three trash cans for trash day. Yesterday there were three, plus about ten more very full plastic bags. Granted a lot of this is FIL's stuff that no one in the family wanted and wasn't worth taking to Goodwill.

But now she's filling the back of the pickup with stuff to go to Goodwill, again mostly FIL's stuff, and admittedly stuff of ours that we haven't used for quite a while. And while we're out I'm going to take an old computer down to the recycling place and get that out of here too.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:41 AM   #11850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
DW is on Day Two of a Cleaning Rampage. This happens from time to time when a "tipping point" is reached and she decides there is too much stuff around here and "we" need to get rid of it. Like the jacket I bought during the Nixon administration.
When that happens at my house I lay low. Not avoiding work, just don't want to get thrown out with the trash. Ever since I stopped working ...
Old 03-08-2013, 08:25 AM   #11851

That is what Mancaves are for. When DW goes into the cleaning whirlwind, I get in my pickup truck and disappear to the camp for a few days.

Upon return, load up the truck with bags containing mystery stuff and drop half at Salvation Army, the other half at Goodwill. Spreading wealth so to speak.

And peace reigns for many months.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #11852
Give me a forum ...

After I cleaned the master bedroom from stem to stern the other day, I gave Mr B "the look" and told him his office was up next. AND...he was going to help me. The look of utter joy on his face was priceless. I cannot type his response and stay within forum rules...but it involved the word "cluster".
To be fair, half the room is my office type junk, so it will be a combined effort. He lifts up the stuff, I run the vaccuum soft brush. We'll have that room ship shape in no time.

Today we went to the Syracuse VA for some routine tests for him. I went along for company. We had a fabulous haddock fish fry (with fries and slaw) for $5.99 for lunch in the VA cafeteria.

I am on day 8 of 10 of the antibiotic pink horse pill regimen. I am really wanting to go out tonight and have some cold ones, the usual Friday night routine. Alas, I must stay the course.
Monday will be party day for sure.
Mr B has to w*rk on taxes, so I will call one of my Legion buddies and go post hopping during the day. Most posts have a crock of soup or stew out for lunch (small donation requested), so I will eat a little bit as we go.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #11853
Full time employment: Posting here.

Spending Time Here

Am learning how to better navigate this website-- lots of fun and most informative.

(Probably should not mention that I'm stuck in this chair, recovering from some nasty virus not covered by the flu shot. TMI.) Otherwise, I'd be up and about.

This is far more fun than chores and ER responsibilities, though.

Thanks for all the posts, everyone; I learn a lot for everyone's insights!
Old 03-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #11854
Moderator Emeritus

We got DD a new laptop computer. For her stenography courses, she needs to run specialized software only available for a Windows machine, so... we had to go buy a Windows laptop. In spite of being an old Apple guy, I have had to deal with Windows machines before, including using them for specialized development software. Heck, I even wrote some device drivers for them.

It all came right back. ALL of it. Right out of the box, the Infernal Contraption was slug-like, and couldn't even make a recovery disk without falling over itself (Error 0xC01200FF indeed! Good grief.) It seems the vendor had generously included several heaping shovelfuls of exciting trial software and adware. With at least three apps fighting over that blank CD, the Windows Recovery Disk tool never stood a chance.

Now, the Nice Man at the Microsoft Store will decrapify the machine for only $99, by wiping the disk and installing just the Microsoft stock release. Or, I could buy a new copy of Windows 8 Home Personal for Non-Phone Devices (x86-64) for a bit less and Do It Myself. These alternatives both bugged me, as they involved, well, buying more to make less stuff be on the machine. I did manage to dump an image of the machine to an external drive, so between that and the 'Recovery Partition' in the computer I figured I could get things back if I messed up. Off to the internets...

I found the appropriate tool for the job, an app called "PC Decrapifyer" (No, really!) I used it to lay waste to all the adware, trialware, snoopware, and other junk on the machine. Rebooted, and ran a "cleaner" to make sure all the junk was gone. (The tool I used is fairly dangerous and requires care in installation and use. It's deleted from the machine when done.)

I got the silly thing down to a 30 second boot time and 5 second login time, and it no longer shows constant network activity when I type or use the mouse. (Yeah. Really... Factory fresh keyloggers?) It's all backed up with recovery disks. The desktop is empty except for shortcuts to LibreOffice and VNC Media Viewer. DD is happy.

So, how is your retirement going? ...
Old 03-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #11855
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been cleaning out the "empty" bedrooms so they can be painted. It was a surprise to me that there was anything in there. It just grew from a laundry basket to a whole boatload of crap.

I'm having the floors redone this spring and new windows in the back of the house. So,at some point I need to get everything moved. I need to cull a lot out before then.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #11856

Brewed 5 gal of pale ale. First batch since 11/30. Had to shovel out an area on the patio for my brew rig. My stockpile of 30 gallons in November has dwindled to less than 5 gallons so I have to restock.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #11857

Dear M Paquette-- I'd rather stay in this chair. Never could de-crappify a computer before retirement, let alone now. Have been avoiding any form of technology that requires de-crappifying. If this one has problems, I pass it off to DH (who performs lesser forms of your miracles); then I come back later.

There are a lot more people out there like me than there are like you. You might want to avoid announcing your skills beyond your property limits. You could get overrun with the chair-sitters like me.

Glad you could help out DD as you did, but you better watch out for the legions of other needy computers!
Old 03-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #11858

One thing i thought we would do after retirement, and have not, is take off on inpromptu road trips. Our beloved dog is elderly and we must make plans for her feeding if we are gone long. And....living in central AR, we have done all the fun day trips many times over.

So, right before lunch was ready, we decided to head to Hot Springs for the horse races. Stayed three races. I lost 4.00; DH netted $14.00....which payed for 1/2 of our beer.

Made it home just ahead of Little Rock rush hour traffic, even after stopping at a McD's to pick up a couple iced coffees.

Great day.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #11859
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitGal View Post
Glad you could help out DD as you did, but you better watch out for the legions of other needy computers!
Not a problem. For everyone else... "I don't do Windows." And as a retired Apple engineer... I generally recommend a certain brand of non-Windows machine. Life is too short to spend dealing with this stuff unless ABSOLUTELY, UNAVOIDABLY necessary. People need to keep their priorities straight. There are kittens that need to be played with, roads that must be explored, funky new gadgets to build...
Old 03-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #11860

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
People need to keep their priorities straight. There are kittens that need to be played with, roads that must be explored, funky new gadgets to build...
+1 - especially to the bit about kittens.