Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #11861
Administrator

I filed my Louisiana taxes, and found out that I owe the state the huge sum of $19. I'll pay it with my $80 refund from the IRS. What a surprise to be that close for both, considering my larger capital gains this year.

Being on a roll, I then (da-dah!) applied for Medicare parts A&B online.

Then we went to lunch, a pleasure drive, and so on. As for the previous posts, had there been kittens, they would have been played with, endlessly.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #11862
Full time employment: Posting here.

A lovely....near 50 degree day here in Spokane. Hit a large bucket of golf balls today...with a ton of other golf people. Already played 18 on Wed.....82....the new driver is nice.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #11863
Moderator Emeritus

Today was a Good Day. Played with cats, went for a drive, and studied for a couple of tests I need to pass so I can build some really nifty gadgets. Went out for Italian with the wife, and talked about movies, old books (Grandma had the whole Oz set, along with the Tom Swift books, the Ted Scott flying series, and other fun books. The further adventures of The Pursuit Patrol...) and other random stuff.

Now I'm off on The Great Clock Hunt, a test of late night wits and button pushing skill...
Old 03-10-2013, 06:07 AM   #11864

Fifty degrees today. The snow is gone! Grocery store run, two-hour motorcycle ride to blow off the cobwebs from sitting the last two months.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #11865
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

In about 30 minutes I'm going to walk to the top of the hill in front of our house and look to the west to see if I can spot the Pan-STARRS comet.

EDIT: No joy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pan-STARRS.jpg (17.9 KB, 6 views)

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 03-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #11866
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Did a whole lot of nothin' today. Just some pampering 'girly' stuff...

Had this song on my mind all afternoon after seeing it on 'Roseanne'.

Rock on Bonnie....

Old 03-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #11867
Administrator

Mostly relaxed. Went grocery shopping. The young wife made mozzarella cheese. I shucked a bunch of oysters for dinner.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #11868
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Did a whole lot of nothin' today. Just some pampering 'girly' stuff...

Had this song on my mind all afternoon after seeing it on 'Roseanne'.

Rock on Bonnie....
bbbamI...ack...missed ya being logged on by about 25 minutes.
So when do we start up the dynamic duo sassafras routines again ?
I need my sidekick back.

I have to admit I had no idea who Bonnie was. I looked at the other linked youtube videos (to the one you posted) and suddenly realized who she was.

I took my last antibiotic horse pill today and have officially declared Monday March 11 as Freebird Party Day. Look out world! You'll have a thirsty woman on the loose.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:14 PM   #11869
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
<snip>bbbamI...ack...missed ya being logged on by about 25 minutes.
So when do we start up the dynamic duo sassafras routines again ?
I need my sidekick back.

I took my last antibiotic horse pill today and have officially declared Monday March 11 as Freebird Party Day. Look out world! You'll have a thirsty woman on the loose.
How 'bout some sassafras tea?

I'm still eatin' my Cheerios. I'll catch up with ya soon.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:04 AM   #11870
Give me a forum ...

Been a tough few days. Last Wednesday Mom was admitted to the hospital with a case of pneumonia and a blood clot in one leg. She is in ICU and resting OK, but the doc told me initially he doubted she would make it past a few days. Her vital signs have improved over the last few days however.

So we will see. She is 95 and seemed to be doing well up to a couple of weeks ago. But at her age, one can go down fast. I've been very fortunate to have had such a good mom over the years. If this is her time to go, I guess I can't complain.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:09 AM   #11871
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Sorry to hear about your mom, Dawg. Hope she continues to improve.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 03-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #11872

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Sorry to hear about your mom, Dawg. Hope she continues to improve.
+1, and with as little discomfort as possible.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #11873
Administrator

Dawg, I am so sorry to hear that your Mom is in the hospital. Pretty scary. At her age, any moments you can spend with her are such a gift. I am hoping for the best for her and for you.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #11874
Give me a forum ...

Dawg, So sorry to hear about your Mom!
Old 03-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #11875
Moderator Emeritus

Dawg, hope your mom is comfy and God willing comes through this. You are such a good son, she must be a wonderful woman.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #11876
Give me a forum ...

Ahhh...bless her heart...and yours too Dawg. I hope they can keep her comfortable.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #11877

Awww, Dawg. Your mom is truly blessed to have a son who loves her like you do. You are both in my thoughts tonight.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:49 AM   #11878
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Today was pretty productive. I poured the third part of a four part concrete slab. Each is 8'x12'. The finish on each of the pours seems to get better as my experience grows. One of the 8x12s will be for a dog kennel, half covered, half without a cover. The other three will be covered 8x7' with 5' of walk/work space open, and will be used to store firewood and some yard tools.

Then I watered the part of my veggie garden that I planted on Saturday, and watered my cherry trees. Then got the rototiller hooked up to the tractor and tilled about a third of an acre in my back yard.

Then I decided it was a beautiful day for a run. After I started, I found I was on a pretty good pace, so decided to pick it up a little and see if I could still do the police fitness requirement for 1.5 miles....yay, I passed!

Then we went to my parents' home to visit and share dinner.

All day, I've had this Cheshire Cat grin on my face. I love being retired, and so far, I have no desire to go back to the ratrace.

R
Old 03-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #11879
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hang in there, Dawg

I hope that you are getting rest as you meet the challenges of this stressful time with your mom. And may the two of you have some special moments together, appreciating each other.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:53 AM   #11880
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Today was pretty productive. I poured the third part of a four part concrete slab. Each is 8'x12'. The finish on each of the pours seems to get better as my experience grows. One of the 8x12s will be for a dog kennel, half covered, half without a cover. The other three will be covered 8x7' with 5' of walk/work space open, and will be used to store firewood and some yard tools.

Then I watered the part of my veggie garden that I planted on Saturday, and watered my cherry trees. Then got the rototiller hooked up to the tractor and tilled about a third of an acre in my back yard.

Then I decided it was a beautiful day for a run. After I started, I found I was on a pretty good pace, so decided to pick it up a little and see if I could still do the police fitness requirement for 1.5 miles....yay, I passed!

Then we went to my parents' home to visit and share dinner.

All day, I've had this Cheshire Cat grin on my face. I love being retired, and so far, I have no desire to go back to the ratrace.

R
Your post above should be required reading for future retirees, especially those who are worried about being having nothing to do in retirement. It brings a smile to my face too, to know that retirement is working out so well for you. And congratulations on doing the police fitness requirement for 1.5 miles!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Closed Thread