Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #11921
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Show off some of my stuff. I have collected camel stuff since the 70's, quit in 1982. I will put this stuff on ebay once they are illegal. I remember my first pack of camels, put a quarter in the cigarette machine, out popped my pack with 2 pennies taped to the pack. Can you imagine that at all these days. I got a lot of old packs before the surgeons warning.

lighter.jpg camel stuff.jpg
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #11922
Administrator

Nice. Almost makes me want to take up smoking again.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:07 PM   #11923
Moderator Emeritus

After 38 years without a cigarette, I still miss smoking.

Today we continued moving into the millennium by getting our first DVR and ditching the economy cable package for "up to 25 and even 30 whatsits." Tomorrow our second new TV, to replace to majorly cracked one that was delivered last week, is supposed to be delivered, and then we will have made the hi-def jump too. Our heads are just spinning, I tell you.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #11924
Administrator

I was also reminded of this, very excellent, Tom Robbins book
Attached Images
File Type: png still life.png (1.44 MB, 13 views)
Old 03-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #11925
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Finally crawled out of bed after 15 hours sleep. My allergies are beating the stuffing out of me.

Not long after I got up the phone rang. There was no number shown..it just showed 'unknown caller'. I figured it was the same computer spammers that called not long ago. I decided to play with them for a while. They said my computer had a virus...I made sniffling noises and said that scared me.

After I acted pitiful and asked 'Alex' many questions over and over again, he seemed to get a little frustrated. He kept telling me to go to my computer. After I tired of my play, I told him in a pitiful voice...'but I don't have a computer, I'll go over to my neighbor's house and get his. Hold on and I'll be right back'.

'Alex' hung up. At least I had him on the phone long enough so maybe he'll scam one less person today. Bastadges.

Even tho I feel poopy, it made me smile.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #11926
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Mailed my tax returns. The guy ahead of me at post office was doing the same. We might be the last two people in town to actually file by mail. .....
I do my aunt's tax return (for free) and she insists on filing by mail because of a problem that she had years ago where the IRS claimed not to receive her return. It is a real PITA for me as I have to print out the return, assemble the forms that should accompany the return, and mail to her for her to sign and mail to the IRS. I'm really close to telling her that I'll continue to do it only if she agrees to efile.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 03-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #11927
Give me a forum ...

Watched our very own Jeff Yeager aka Ultimate Cheapskate on TLC today.

...he certainly lives up to his name.

Hey Jeff...if you're ever in my Dallas 'burb, let me know. I'll put you up for the night and don't worry about bringing anything for supper. Salmon carcass is not my cup o' tea.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #11928

Ms G and I had a half-a-dozen folks over for dinner. Nothing fancy, just a lot of fresh vegetarian fare. Well we are done dinner sitting in the all purpose room, watching the dogs run and chase each other. So one guest says look the dogs are chasing a cat. I check about, no all the cats are accounted for (you know where this is going). No no I saw the dogs chase a black and white cat. Call the dogs in, not so fast the cat turns out to be a striped skunk. Party over Ms G and I have some dog washing to do.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:21 PM   #11929

I put the roof on this:

I'll paint some tomorrow and more on Monday. Then later next week I will start on fencing on the back and side wall, the till some compost into the dirt in front of it, install the sprinkler system, lay some sod and will be done with this part of the yard. One bay of the shed will be for a kennel that will extend out onto the grass, two bays will be for firewood, and one bay for misc yard stuff. I'll cover the front of the firewood and yard stuff bays with a bamboo curtain.

DW helped with dumping concrete from the mixer trailers, and my dad advised on the framing. Given I've never done anything like this, I'm pretty proud of the accomplishment.

R
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-3930118359.jpg (601.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 03-22-2013, 11:58 PM   #11930
Moderator Emeritus

The cats woke me up at 7:00 this morning but I stayed in bed until 9:00. Had breakfast, then opened the windows to aerate the apartment (love the fresh air). Paid a couple of bills, sent some money to Vanguard, had lunch. Took a half hour to enjoy a cup of great Taiwanese Oolong tea. Went for a walk along the bay. Sat in the sun for one hour. Came home with a 6' tall palm tree that I had to lug through the streets from the store. Looks great in our living room. Worked a bit on our taxes. Made some delicious pulled pork sandwiches for dinner (I had made a huge amount of pulled pork a few weeks ago and had some leftovers in the freezer).
Old 03-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #11931
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
After 38 years without a cigarette, I still miss smoking.
I can relate to that! It's only been about 29 years for me since my last cigarette but I still miss them. I don't miss them as much as I did the first few years but whenever I'm around someone that is smoking, I really miss it.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #11932
Administrator

Just got back from a high school production of The Sound of Music. One of my young wife's students was Maria, so we had to go watch. They were really quite good.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:19 PM   #11933
Give me a forum ...

Despite my protests about trying to lose weight, Mr B twisted my arm and took me to a chinese buffet for dinner. I was very good and avoided anything fried.

We are watching an old Larry the Cable Guy standup comedy show on Netflix. He is too much. I've never seen him perform comedy with a guitar, while telling dirty jokes. He's only doing a few chords in between jokes but he seems to know how to play it properly.
Next up is Ron White, You Can't Fix Stupid.
Mr B loves comedy. We are getting our money's worth out of the recently ordered streaming Netflix subscription.

Tomorrow is a free day for me while Mr B goes to his PT tax prep job. I think I'll do some more seed planting. And exercise...

I am planning another road trip on Tuesday to the Lake Ontario beach camp to help my friends fully open it up for Spring. If it starts snowing and blowing, I'll just stay over an extra day.

T minus 8 days until my 6th anniversary of FIRE.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:31 AM   #11934
Moderator Emeritus

We went to a visitation for a 35-year-old. His father said to us, "We know there are no words." Sad sad day.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #11935
Full time employment: Posting here.

In no particular order (kind of like my usual days lately) I read about self-publishing a book, worked on my taxes, tried to find either of at least two pairs of headphones (found the older one... where is the new one, I ask?), washed the sheets and put them back on the bed, 2 other loads of laundry, tried to find lyrics to a (very vulgar) song on google and failed, and sat here avoiding doing my taxes. What next?
Old 03-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #11936

I went to my annual wellness exam and before getting into the doctor's door, I hit some uneven pavement and went right down on hands and knees.

When I got in the door, I looked down and saw that I'd ripped the fabric right out of the left knee of my lightweight cotton capris. Bummer.

I admitted to the nurse who cleaned up and bandaged my skinned knee that although the pavement was quite uneven, the torn pants and skinned knee were really the fault of my own vanity.

I knew I was going to have to get on that scale, and I figured that lightweight capris were going to weigh less than my usual bellbottom jeans.

The good news is that I weighed 7 lbs less than last year.

Either the pants were lighter, or I sustained more blood loss on the skinned knee than I realized.

What a great start to the week!
Old 03-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #11937
Give me a forum ...

Lol! Well, at least you were in the right place, "Accidental"!
Old 03-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #11938
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
I went to my annual wellness exam and before getting into the doctor's door, I hit some uneven pavement and went right down on hands and knees.

When I got in the door, I looked down and saw that I'd ripped the fabric right out of the left knee of my lightweight cotton capris. Bummer.

I admitted to the nurse who cleaned up and bandaged my skinned knee that although the pavement was quite uneven, the torn pants and skinned knee were really the fault of my own vanity.

I knew I was going to have to get on that scale, and I figured that lightweight capris were going to weigh less than my usual bellbottom jeans.

The good news is that I weighed 7 lbs less than last year.

Either the pants were lighter, or I sustained more blood loss on the skinned knee than I realized.

What a great start to the week!
Pictures please.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #11939
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday I picked up a Dell 2400 something. $20.- Today I backed up ---finally --for the first time in years---- my main 'puter. to the $20 'puter's hard drive.. Took a bit of effort as the windoze backup program refused to make the requisite floppy for restore.

Ended up usin Clonezilla. Macine runs fine, but, since it is an clone they both can not be on the network at the same time.

Yet it is OK. Just wanted a full backup in case of disaster. Shut it off and parked on a shelf in the basement. Now I can easyly do the routine once a month or so. Yep, I am lazy and cheap.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:58 PM   #11940

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Pictures please.
Sorry, but the 2 men who watched the whole thing didn't have their cameras on at the time.
Closed Thread