Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #11941
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Met with my accountant to review my personal tax return. An accountant is essential if you also have a corporation, but those tax returns will be done later.

The bad news is that I had to pay some tax on top of the instalments I was making. The good news is that the cause of the extra tax was better return on investments in 2012. The other bad news is that I will need to pay almost as much in 2013 as I have budgeted for income taxes. The other good news is that my personal tax rate in 2012 was 7.99%.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #11942

Enjoyed my morning 2-mile walk despite the fact it was still in the mid-30s (I'm not complaining as I know it is really winter up north still). Headed out for two volunteer activities and fit in a quick stop at a store that is normally out of the way. Back in time for lunch - I decided to fix myself a spiffy tuna salad with a chopped scallion, fresh cilantro, chopped carrot, a little fresh jalapeno and a little light mayo. Yum, especially with a side of award-winning pickles from the farmer's market Your *Pickle Matters - Home. Caught up with e-mails and some computer maintenance. Then finally completed a task for one of my volunteer roles that I had procrastinated on for more than 3 weeks. Sigh - feels good to have knocked that one out though. And my reward is to check out what the other ER folks have been doing!
Old 03-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #11943
Give me a forum ...

I sorted out spices (given to me as payment for organizing a friend's kitchen) and divvied them up in half to give to a guy who w*rks PT as a cook at a restaurant in Old Forge NY (Adirondacks). I am going to visit him on Thursday to help him do some spring cleaning at his camp. My reward will be a free seafood dinner and some free milk to make homemade cheese curds. Bonus will be invitations to go hang out at the lake across the street from his camp nearby during the summer.
I'm going to learn lake canoeing this summer. This oughta be good.
Mr B is still w*rking PT doing taxes until April 15th, so I have his blessing to go do some exporing and adventuring.

I finally got this picture from a friend who took it when I was in a rather silly mood.
The thing on my head is a fabric flower that was handed out by a DJ at a local hometown bar, running around in a leapord loincloth. I'm not kidding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0170.jpg (731.2 KB, 29 views)
Old 03-26-2013, 08:50 PM   #11944
Give me a forum ...

Spent some time going through my Mother's house today, trying to figure out what can go to the dump and what can be given away or sold. Going to be a tough task getting rid of enough items so I can move into her house. And I have some old stuff to get rid of out of my aunt's old house(where I have been living). Plus a face lift is needed in both houses. Getting prices now on kitchen counter tops, flooring and paint for my Mom's house. I want to do that before moving in and will have to do similar stuff to my house before I can sell it.

Going to be a fun few months. But I'm playing golf tomorrow.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #11945
Full time employment: Posting here.

Full moon, not a great sleeping night last night. Weird dreams with tossing & turning.

DH and i picked up some frozen Meals on Wheels to deliver to a hospice couple. Wife has been my patient for several months; her husband was just added last week and he is declining rapidly. They live in a double wide mobile home way out in the boonies. It is sobering.

Lunch was leftovers. Tried to take nap, but gave up (happens too often, the actual falling asleep for the nap days are more fun). Stumbled to gym for a pretty good hour workout.

Independent bible study, then pizza and beer with friends. Tuesday night at this pizza place is a longstanding date that DH and I enjoy very much. Great conversation.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #11946

Dawg..your post hit home with me. I have been cleaning out my mother's house so that my sister and I can sell it. My mother passed away last fall And this is a tough process for me. I keep finding items of sentimental value that I can't keep...all ready have way too much clutter in my house. I will keep some small things but realize that I need to let the rest go. My sister is less sentimental and much better about keeping clutter out of her house, so it is limited what I can get her to take.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #11947
Administrator

Not at all easy to clean out after a family member leaves. It is intrusive and heartbreaking at the same time.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #11948
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Not at all easy to clean out after a family member leaves. It is intrusive and heartbreaking at the same time.
+1

Had to do it for my parents and DW's parents. A tough task.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #11949
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+2

And it really doesn't help when you have relatives and friends who insist that "you really should keep that". Better to do a surgical strike. Good memories are lighter to carry.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #11950
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
+2

And it really doesn't help when you have relatives and friends who insist that "you really should keep that". Better to do a surgical strike. Good memories are lighter to carry.
When my father died, I helped my mother dispose of his things. Mostly all I did was remind her that she had no obligation to my father or anybody else to keep anything of his she did not truly want. It is all too easy for a widow or widower to create a shrine of sorts for the deceased by keeping everything as it always was. So, I "gave her permission" (repeatedly) to send various items of his clothing or other personal items to Goodwill if she didn't want them for nostalgic or other reasons. She said that helped a lot more than I knew. In the process we took frequent breaks to reminisce over old photos and memorabilia and such, so that it wouldn't seem too harsh.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 03-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #11951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

+2

Taking digital photographs and saving a photo album may be a way of hanging onto the memories without the clutter.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #11952

Quote:
+3 Had to do this for my mother. So incredibly difficult. She left a personal note for me to read after her passing, basically telling me she would always be with me. She also made a cassette tape saying goodbye to all the children and singing us a song she used to sing to us as babies. OMG, heart wrenching - but so meaningful to have these things.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 03-28-2013, 06:28 AM   #11953

We have just gone through this in clearing out FIL's house and selling it. It is very difficult to do. DW has a lot of the stuff here and is slowly going through what to keep and what to throw out or donate. But she is making steady progress on it.

In a different area, I was playing around with my new birthday present, a Nikon R1 light system for macro flash. A frequent problem with close-up photography is that by the time one gets the lens close enough for a photo the lens is blocking the light. One answer is to put the light on the lens. And there are signs of spring - the tree buds are on my next door neighbor's tree.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R1_flash_unit-1.jpg (105.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg tree_buds_3.jpg (61.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 03-28-2013, 08:32 AM   #11954
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just received an air ride spring kit to install on the truck. Supposed to be a 'no drill' kit, but I guess that doesn't apply to the onboard compressor which has an optional bolt on kit. *sigh*. I can drill in somewhere to mount the compressor, but I have to find a spot. The engine compartment is full.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:34 AM   #11955

Walt

Do they still make the ring flashes? I use off camera flashes.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:41 AM   #11956
Moderator Emeritus

Last night I received and set up my new Wii U, the last "toy" I bought before deciding to put the brakes on my discretionary spending for a while. I put the Wii on the new TV in my home gym, where there is room for the balance board and Wii Fit. The new Wii U is on my TV here in the den.

Today is my dental implant surgery, so it will be nice to have the Wii U to occupy my mind while I recover afterwards. Oh, and the forum too, of course! Being only human, naturally I am scared to death; but it will be behind me in only a few hours.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #11957

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Today is my dental implant surgery, so it will be nice to have the Wii U to occupy my mind while I recover afterwards. Oh, and the forum too, of course! Being only human, naturally I am scared to death; but it will be behind me in only a few hours.
Good luck and good drugs to you today!
Old 03-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #11958
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
Good luck and good drugs to you today!
Thanks! It went really well and wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I am so glad that is behind me.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #11959

I didn't know whether to post here, or What was your workout today. Beautiful day 60 in the AM, 60 at the top, 80's when we got home. The hard part was carrying water, about 2 gallons for the dogs and a gallon for us. So off we went to Silver Peak in the Chiricahua Mts, for a hike in the our backyard.

Silver.JPG
Old 03-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #11960

W2R,

Glad the implant is behind you, too! Glad to hear it went so well.
Closed Thread