Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #11961
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Thanks! It went really well and wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I am so glad that is behind me.
That is good news, W2R. Often we dread things and it helps me, at least, to hear from others who have gone through procedures and found them not as bad as expected.

I think sometimes we get ourselves all het up for no reason. I know I do. I fear needles somethin' awful. I put off a colonoscopy for a long time until my doctor tele-harassed me into getting it done. I wasn't afraid of the prep. Nope. I was afraid of the IV to put me out.

Having done it, I would never be fearful again. Not even of the needle that put me into LaLa land, or wherever I went. I hardly felt the needle at all. I have hurt myself much worse shaving my legs!

We don't always hear of good procedures, only the ones that are scary or go awry.

I am glad you came out on the other side more toothsome than before.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #11962

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
Walt

Do they still make the ring flashes? I use off camera flashes.
They do indeed still make ring flashes, and they're a lot cheaper than the five figures they used to be.

I went with the Nikon system because the flashes come off the ring and are remotely operated with the Nikon CLS system so one can hand-hold one to get a different direction of light on a small subject. Or one could be tucked away in an inconspicuous spot to create a halo effect on a wall behind a portrait subject or light the interior of some machine, and the like. Much more versatile than a ring light. And although the kit comes with two lights, the ring will hold eight if one has a need for that many.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #11963

Quote:
Thanks! It went really well and wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I am so glad that is behind me.
Glad to hear that went well. It's also been my experience that such things usually get mentally magnified to be worse than they really are.

"Usually" though. Don't ask about getting a cortisone injection in my knee. That was a new experience in pain. And there I thought it was going to be just another injection. Surprises like that I can do without.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #11964
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks. I slept like a baby for a full 8 hours without awakening even once, last night. Essentially no pain at all, even though I have not taken any of the pain medication prescribed. Still, I am planning to take it easy today anyway just because it seems prudent. It is wonderful to have this over with.

In a week I will see him again for a quick checkup, and then in 4 months I can have the crown put into place.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 03-30-2013, 07:56 AM   #11965

Walt

I carry a Metz CT4 and several small slave flashes

A site you might be interested in:

DPChallenge - A Digital Photography Contest
Old 03-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #11966

Sat around work today bemoaning the fact the last 19 work days before retirement were dragging soooooo slooowly...
Old 03-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #11967
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
When my father died, I helped my mother dispose of his things. Mostly all I did was remind her that she had no obligation to my father or anybody else to keep anything of his she did not truly want. It is all too easy for a widow or widower to create a shrine of sorts for the deceased by keeping everything as it always was. So, I "gave her permission" (repeatedly) to send various items of his clothing or other personal items to Goodwill if she didn't want them for nostalgic or other reasons. She said that helped a lot more than I knew. In the process we took frequent breaks to reminisce over old photos and memorabilia and such, so that it wouldn't seem too harsh.
When my husband passed suddenly in late 2004 at the age of 50.5, I was devastated. It took months (and in some cases, years) for me to be able to do the cleaning out of things that were part of our lives built together from scratch. It was like walking on broken glass, every damn day.
I had the help of a fabulous grief counselor to face those dragons and get most of it done on my own.

In the first 3 months, I gave away several things that belonged to him only (not bought together) to several of his closest guy friends that he grew up with. The look of gratitude on their faces when I gently explained what these things were, was priceless. Many a saddened heart was healed with those gestures. I became stronger with the giving.

At 5 months, I had to enlist the help of a close friend to do the clothing. Whew!
Almost 9 years alter, I still have a lot of things that remind me of the happy times on vacations. This is good stuff.

For those who know a friend/relative going through something like this, be that person who makes such an awful ordeal a bit less stressful. I am currently doing this for a widower who just cannot face going through his late wife's kitchen stuff. No push, but little by little, emotional trigger stuff has to go.

Time does heal.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #11968
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks. I slept like a baby for a full 8 hours without awakening even once, last night. Essentially no pain at all, even though I have not taken any of the pain medication prescribed. Still, I am planning to take it easy today anyway just because it seems prudent. It is wonderful to have this over with.

In a week I will see him again for a quick checkup, and then in 4 months I can have the crown put into place.
Hope today is even better
Old 03-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #11969
Full time employment: Posting here.

:Today we are somewhere between Bay of Islands, NZ and Tonga. Temp is 80 with a few clouds. Just another great day on the USS Assisted Living of the Seas.

I have some beautiful pics, but can't seem to attach any on an iPad due to slow satellite Internet.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:19 PM   #11970
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Hope today is even better
It was, thanks! Last night I accidently overdid it. I was only trying to hook up some electronics and neaten up an evolving mess of wires, which involved crawling under some furniture and such. I was surprised at how little activity it took for me to become exhausted. So today I am doing absolutely nothing.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 03-30-2013, 09:34 PM   #11971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
"Usually" though. Don't ask about getting a cortisone injection in my knee. That was a new experience in pain. And there I thought it was going to be just another injection. Surprises like that I can do without.
This brought back memories of a bier block injected into my armpit. He says tell me when I hit the nerve....had I been a cat I would have been stuck to the ceiling!

I watched Skyfall 007 and Flight today. Flight was good. 007 was not good at all imo.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:29 AM   #11972
Recycles dryer sheets

Went to dinner and after saw Aretha Franklin at NJPAC last night. She's slowing down some but she's still got it.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:42 AM   #11973
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday I helped a neighbor install some laminate flooring in his dining room kitchen. He had done it before (his living room) and I hadn't. We struggled with it for a couple hours and I kept saying it shouldn't be this hard and then we discovered that the reason we were struggling is that we were going right to left rather than left to right. It seems he had done his entire living room the "wrong" way and just thought that was part of the process. After that revelation things went much quicker and easier.

However, with constantly getting up and down my legs are quite sore this morning.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 04-01-2013, 07:05 AM   #11974

Went with DW to her nephew's wife's parent's house for dinner. Nephew & wife have a new addition to the family, Trixie, who is one of a litter of puppies left by the road in a bag.

She seems to be doing well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Easter_2013-4.jpg (89.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Easter_2013-10.jpg (68.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 04-01-2013, 10:59 PM   #11975

Trixie is really cute!

This morning, during our once-a-week trip to Panera's, DH and i decided to take a day trip to Crater of Diamonds State Park near Murfreesboro, AR. We took back roads, stopping in Hot Springs for lunch. Made it to the park, which closed at 5PM, about 3:45. Apparently, from the announcements, two diamonds were found today. We saw some sunburned folks, but our hour of digging didn't produce any side effects.

The parking lot had cars from all over the USA. Many of the diamond hunters had an incredible amount of buckets, sifters, shovels, etc. Doubt we will go again, but it was a beautiful day (73 degrees) and an interesting drive.

i love retirement.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #11976
Give me a forum ...

Worked out at the Y, sauna for 1/2 hr, off for breakfest, chatted up the waitress, swapped Polish jokes with a couple of geezers, came home patted the cat which took up residence for a while on my desk. Browsed this forum.

Next up: fixing to get ready to go to a coffe house for more BS and other time wasting activity. maybe even read the paper. Ah the pain of it all.

Retirement is grand.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #11977
Give me a forum ...

David, our Sears repair guy, came this morning to repair ice maker (on the door) to our refrigerator. Luckily, he lives near to us so they schedule him for here the first thing in the morning so I don't have to wait around all morning. (In fact, last time he was here at 8 am sharp and I had forgot to set an alarm and the doorbell woke us up!) Ice maker seems to be working fine now. Given he has been here for two repairs in the last month, I told him that I wasn't trying to be mean but that I hoped that I didn't see him in and official capacity for a while but he was welcome to stop by for a beer sometime.

Then, once I knew the ice maker was ok, I finished the claim form for my claim with Discover under their extended warranty program and submitted it to their insurer. I have a funny feeling that there will be more to it than just submitting the receipts and getting a check in the mail or a credit to my Discover account, but we'll see.

And of course, kept up to date on goings on at early-retirement.org.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 04-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #11978
Moderator Emeritus

I am trying to finish our tax return. The Federal part is done (received the last K-1 only yesterday), but I still need to deal with the part-year state residency. I am going line by line trying to figure out how much passive income to declare in each state. But I am almost done...
Old 04-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #11979
Dryer sheet wannabe

Today I am disassembling my home office and boxing up all my telework documents. It will be out of my house in two days and I will finally be free to enjoy retirement!
Old 04-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #11980

Finished and mailed my taxes.