Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 09:13 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another crappy day today. Rain and more rain. Might be able to play golf again by Wednesday. But it will be soggy and cart path only. Crap, forced exercise. So bored I'm gonna have lunch with one of my old work buddies today. Haircut after that. Probably start a new book this afternoon. I usually only do that during the winter.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2008, 09:19 AM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Dawg, this early retirement thing doesn't seem to be working out very well for you. First the down market has you in a funk, now you're complaining of being bored. Sounds to me like you need to go back to work...
Old 08-25-2008, 09:21 AM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Dawg, this early retirement thing doesn't seem to be working out very well for you. First the down market has you in a funk, now you're complaining of being bored. Sounds to me like you need to go back to work...
I am today, to pick up my buddy for lunch. He's buying.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:54 AM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

It's funny how different people react to early retirement. A good buddy of mine retired almost 9 years ago. He and I had camped, hunted and fished together for 25 years. As soon as I would say, "Hey, want to do this?" he would be ready to go. Never did he show the initiative to speak first.

Since retirement, and he was in his early 50's we he pulled the plug, he has not gotten far from the TV or the computer. Without someone to kick start him, he just is not going to move.

I on the other hand cannot seem to sit still or find the time to cram in all the things I want to do.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:44 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I am today, to pick up my buddy for lunch. He's buying.
Always good to have lunch with one of your old work buddies. A good reminder why I retired. One of the reasons I retired was because my old partners enjoyed spending so much money. In the 18 months since I retired, management has increased the company's debt by 3x. Pretty much maxing out their credit line. I'm sure one of the banks they do business with will hike it again, but I know for a fact their main lender will not. Spend spend spend.

I'm sure glad I have my money out of there. Now I can watch my money tank in stock market.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:45 PM   #106
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Now I can watch my money tank in stock market.
Still raining, eh?
Old 08-25-2008, 06:04 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Still raining, eh?
Yup. Frigging hurricanes.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:08 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

In case anyone is wondering we've been in Colorado for the last few days...

Gosh, if only the Colorado Front Range was mashed up against the Cascades! It sure would have saved a lot of driving! It just takes so long to cross Nevada, Utah and Wyoming!

Yesterday:
Sunday morning drive up the spectacular Big Thompson River Canyon.
Nice big Sunday brunch in Estes Park.
Then hiking several spots in Rocky Mountain National Park- all above 8000 feet.
Checked out some Estes Park RV parks for future reference - seems like a good area to spend a month in.
Stopped by a brewpub on the way back.
Descent down Big Thompson River Canyon - gosh maybe even more spectacular than the ascent!

Audrey
Old 08-25-2008, 06:18 PM   #109
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yup. Frigging hurricanes.
And just as you think you're done with Fay, Gustav pops up!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 08-25-2008, 06:27 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
And just as you think you're done with Fay, Gustav pops up!
I saw that. The ground won't dry out before it comes along. Hopefully this one won't straggle into MS.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:52 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by limpid lizard View Post
Yep, blown out straight and necked to 25 cal.
Do you fire form them before sizing in a die? I used to reload when I shot a lot. I always wanted to do some offbeat thing like the 30-06 Ackley but discovered that I was more interested in hunting and shooting than cartidge wildcatting. Is this your invention or an established round?

Ha
Old 08-26-2008, 08:25 PM   #112
Full time employment: Posting here.

Today was a great day.....I resigned from corporate america!
I have a job as an office manager at the spa where I will be studying massage therapy!
Life is awesome!
I also cried tears of gratitude when I walked out to my car this evening.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:59 PM   #113
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Do you fire form them before sizing in a die? I used to reload when I shot a lot. I always wanted to do some offbeat thing like the 30-06 Ackley but discovered that I was more interested in hunting and shooting than cartidge wildcatting. Is this your invention or an established round?

Ha
I got my new .450 #2 Nitro Express Double Rifle back from the gunsmith recently....
Old 08-26-2008, 10:04 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
Today was a great day.....I resigned from corporate america!
I have a job as an office manager at the spa where I will be studying massage therapy!
Life is awesome!
I also cried tears of gratitude when I walked out to my car this evening.
Awesome, Citrine--I am so happy this is working out for you! Your life is rockin' right now, it is great you are in such a good place! Yay!
How's the guy? nosey parker wants to know...

Old 08-27-2008, 03:28 AM   #115
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Another crappy day today. Rain and more rain. Might be able to play golf again by Wednesday. But it will be soggy and cart path only. Crap, forced exercise. So bored I'm gonna have lunch with one of my old work buddies today. Haircut after that. Probably start a new book this afternoon. I usually only do that during the winter.
Sounds like pure bliss compared to my crappy day at w*rk. Three more days and I'll join you complaining about the weather, boredom [don't think so]; yeah, ok, lunch with w*rk buddy could bring down the mood. I need a haircut, don't have time, what with w*rk w*rk.... I feel like I'm being held after school.
What did I do on Thursday August 28
Old 08-28-2008, 11:45 AM   #116
Confused about dryer sheets

What did I do on Thursday August 28

I got up at 11:30 am, since was up last night until 1 am on the internet
Today going to make some copies at Kinko and go eat someplace.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:08 PM   #117
Full time employment: Posting here.

Worked 1/2 day in corporate.
Worked 6 hours at new job (training).
Broke up with the guy.....he is just not ready for a real relationship.....I am very relieved......so much better being single
Old 08-29-2008, 06:59 AM   #118

Tuesday - Wednesday worked on FIL's house, still getting it ready to sell. Finished painting the accessible cinder block walls in the basement with two coats of waterproofing paint to reduce humidity intrusion followed by two coats of color. Thought we were done for a bit.... ha.

Noticed a slight water drip on the basement floor. Traced that to the hallway bathroom, toilet has been leaking for years and rotted the floor under it. Took out the 30-year-old toilet, vanity, medicine cabinet, stripped the wallpaper, patched all the nail holes, waiting now for the guy to come replace the rotted section of floor and the floor guys to put down the new vinyl floor covering. Then we'll repaint (well, I will since there's only room for one person to work in there) and plumber will install new commode and vanity. It was on the "to-do" list anyway....

Only things left are painting the master bedroom and stripping wallpaper from the kitchen and paint that. Then we're done and out of money so he'll have to sell it. I hope.

Thursday back to work at the new job. Thinking about a Suzuki Boulevard motorcycle or something similar.

Told DW "If I ever get like FIL just shoot me." Probably not the most tactful thing to say.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:06 AM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
Worked 1/2 day in corporate.
Worked 6 hours at new job (training).
Broke up with the guy.....he is just not ready for a real relationship.....I am very relieved......so much better being single
Thanks for the update, Citrine, nosey old married people like to live vicariously through such stories. I'm glad you like the new job and that you knew what you wanted (not this guy) in the relationship. I just had a friend split with her boyfriend after waiting 9 years (!) for him to decide he really didn't want to get married and have kids, like she did. Keep us posted!

Old 08-29-2008, 06:32 PM   #120

Snoozed the alarm from 5:15 a.m. to 5:45 a.m. (I have a problem with that)

Got ready and went to my 7 a.m. Toastmaster's meeting. Won first prize in Table Topics. (I was shocked, this was only my second time speaking, and I am petrified of public speaking.)

Came home and caught a quick breakfast before going into work at 9 a.m.

Worked from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. This included supervisory treatment visits in the morning and a new evaluation (hip fracture) in the afternoon. (I'm a physical therapist.)

Came home, surfed the net a little, and dropped off into a nap from 4:15 to 4:45.

DH arrived home, and we cooked dinner. Green curry chicken, made with thai basil from our very own plant we planted a few months ago.

Currently - surfing the net again and watching the travel channel. They are showing this really, really cool camp/hotel in Oregon which actually are treehouses you can stay in. You can also zip line. Gotta try this place out someday!

Plan to work on our 1500 jigsaw puzzle tonight whilst drinking a few more brews. Ah, the joys of a Friday night before a long weekend!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Closed Thread