what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
....He did ask me if I had a gun in the house because if I don't have one, he can't be here to protect us if another break in happens while we are home. So now we have protection in place.

WTF? The cop can't help you if unless you have a weapon? What am I misreading? You live in the US, right?

WTF? The cop can't help you if unless you have a weapon? What am I misreading? You live in the US, right?

No we live in Texas. ;)

What the cop was saying is HE can't help protect us if HE is not in the house when a break in occurs. He is saying be a Boy Scout and Be Prepared. Like most good Texans, I have taken his advice.

I'm guessing the officers point was an individual needs to be prepared to deal, waiting is not always an option.
Many citizens mistakenly believe the police have a duty to protect them, not so.
Police do have a duty to protect an individual under arrest in their custody.

Police Chief Magazine - View Article

Last edited:
Studying...studying more...

Getting distracted by teh Intertubes...

Back to studying...

Gosh, it's almost like I have a big test coming up on Thursday...

Oooh! Cat videos!

Made a hotel reservation in Big Sprig, TX for tomorrow night at the Holiday Inn Express. Only $230/night plus tax. No rooms available at HI hotels in Midland./Odessa. Hey, but I get a free breakfast!

Gotta love the energy boom!

Since I needed to be at home this afternoon for the annual fire marshal's inspection, I decided to clean the house this morning. I am 80% done and will finish it tonight or tomorrow. I also cleaned out my fridge and threw a bunch of tired vegetables into the slow cooker with some seasoning. Dinner will be one portion of the resulting vegetable stew over rice with a grilled chicken breast. After the fire marshal came I went for a refreshing swim in the outdoor pool. It is 29 degrees Centigrade and this is probably one of the last really good summer days. Tonight I will continue reading a novel on my book club list. As it is almost 90 years old, its copyright has expired and the download cost $0 on Kindle.

I am a cheap date! :LOL:

Last edited:
Gym day.

Closed out a small ($10k) IRA and will draw down on that for a bit over a year, probably more. Never again will we be in a smaller tax bracket than now so I figured now is a good time to do it. And it's one less bit of financial clutter.

Took DW out to dinner with a coupon for 50% off one meal. Actually that was her idea.

Rosie, very sorry to hear about your break-in and glad nothing was taken other than 'stuff'.

We had a very similar incident many years ago, came home after dark and went into the back yard (rear-entrance garage) to check on our new puppy while our two small children went into the house. The kids turned on the inside lights and opened the patio curtain and we looked up see the contents of all the drawers in our bedroom dumped all over the bed and floor behind them. We apparently interrupted the crook(s) in the act and they went out the front door as we came home.

Even though that was 30 years ago, three things are still burned into my memory:

- The shock of realizing we sent our two small kids into that house when the burglar may have still been inside
- The violation and loss of personal security we felt for a long time afterwards
- The response from the 911 operator when I called in the "robbery", who took the time out of her busy schedule to lecture me about the difference between a "robbery" and a "burglary" and once she was done, then ask me if I still wanted to report a "robbery". Sanctimonious beeatch.

Fortunately the officers who responded were far more professional.

Dispatchers are often wannabe police officers eager to demonstrate their knowledge. But frankly, it irks me as well when someone uses the two interchangeably. There are times, however, to keep the definitions to one's self. Someone recently victimized doesn't care about the difference in terminology.

Rosie - I'm glad there was no personal violence nor injuries. Most burglars are cowardly, just not wanting to get seen nor caught. Leave them an available exit and they run. Not a big fan of alarm companies, but of heavy steel safes: the type which need to be installed.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Took my iPhone 4s to Apple today because the audio kept cutting out; and the volume adjustment would not function. The bell for the ringer showed up, but the volume bars did not. The 'genius' knew immediately what the problem was: due to junk in or damage to the 32 pin connector, the iPhone would think it was docked, so the speaker and audio controls were disable. He cleaned out the socket, but showed me some pins were bent and couldn't be repaired. I had cleaned out the socket myself earlier, and it seems about the time the problem began so shame on me. I now have an iPhone 5. This is my third iPhone - the first was one of the original models. They seem to hold up well.

what did you do today?

Most crimes occur when a police officer is not in the immediate area. Were there a LEO present, the offender would not perpetrate the crime, had he any sense. I had a similar discussion with a friend when discussing concealed carry. The point was if a violent crime occurs to you, you pretty much have to handle it in one manner or another ( run, fight, try to talk your way out of it, or submit) until someone calls the police, and the officers physically arrive. Generally, the crime is over by the time the officers get to the scene, even operating lights and siren. The perpetrator hears the oncoming siren, of course, and flees...

I'm not advocating anything about firearms in this post, but people have a personal decision to make, which is what the officer was advising. That decision is different for each individual. The standard question after a burglary always was "What do I do if they come back?" The only possible answer one could give was, "Call the police."

Last edited:
Rosie, so sorry to hear that this happened to you. Even though your insurance covered it, still it is an awful experience and not one that is easy to forget.

Last edited:
Owning a firearm for protection is a personal decision, but a firearm must be loaded and available, and the owner must know how to use it, and be willing to use it.

As for what I did today, I'm at w*rk... :'( :crazy::rant:

Owning a firearm for protection is a personal decision, but a firearm must be loaded and available, and the owner must know how to use it, and be willing to use it...........

Additionally, it gives thieves something worthwhile to steal. If all you have are some old VCR tapes and a penny jar, they may trash the place in retribution.

In retrospect, I think that probably the main purpose of work for many of us is to provide intense motivation to retire. :D

+1000

Granted, plans can and do change, but next August 31 is my almost set-in-concrete FIRE date.

First day of the Cardiac Rehab program at the hospital that they encourage everyone with a cardiac event to go to. It's in the same building as the gym I normally go to. Insurance covers it 100%. Today was gathering baseline data/measurements for two hours.

Although it normally runs 18 to 36 weeks the guy today said he'll probably "kick me out" in eight or ten weeks since I'm in better shape than most of the others. So until this is done I'll be hitting the gym six days a week. Gym one day, cardiac rehab the next....

"What will I do all day?" indeed.

Okay, nobody's pointing a gun at my head. But what the hey, I might actually learn something useful.

Went down and had lunch with 5 Megacorp buddies. On my way back to my truck ran into 2 VPs, 1 director. All were pleasant and complimentary of my new corporate dress code(tee shirt, shorts and sandals). They all looked fine each dressed in the same $1500 suit, same shirt, and same tie. How could I miss that.

I'm in the midst of a 5 day woodworking marathon, trying to finish my niece's baby girl's toy box.

Attachments

• G0010036.jpg
    G0010036.jpg
    450.4 KB · Views: 23
Made reservations outside Louisville, KY for three nights to house hunt in the surrounding area this weekend. Went out to lunch and a movie with DW. Walked a couple of miles. Watched the rest of the DVR'd Emmy's.

Installing new all-in-one networked, laser printer on DW's desktop system today. Our second laser printer, but first networked one (hard wired). Will also enable wireless feature on it for DW's iPad (I hope :confused:).

Making salads for lunch before our early afternoon naps............ busy day!

Played my first paddle tennis game last night with a group here in our community. Enjoyed it so much I've joined the league.

Have my first pickleball lesson this morning even though today is technically a work day... I'll just work a few hours this evening to make up... working from home does have its benefits.

Have swim lessons lined up for late September (I know how to swim but this is a technique called "Total Immersion" that a lot of tri-atheletes use which also happens to be on the activity list post-retirement).

I'm taking this "what will you do all day" to heart to learn a lot of new things and meet already retired folks before I retire. Have a feeling though it's going to make the 'want to retire' itch even worse. :)

Received package of smoked fish from DH (he catches, cleans, smokes, sends it UPS).
Picked tomatoes and peppers in back yard, dug some potatoes, clipped some herbs for salad.
Took ~3 mile walk.

Received the insurance statement for the hospital stay last month. The cost of two overlapping stents in a heart artery and three days (two in cardiac care, one in ICU) is $45k and some change. Not complaining, mind you, since without it I'd be either dead or very close to it by now but little wonder people go bankrupt for medical issues if they don't have insurance. And my case was "simple" with no complications.

I didn't see what the insurance will actually pay since they initially denied most of it over the hospital not dating the charges properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom