Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #12081
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Slept in after a late night flight home from a NYC wedding. For some reason the wedding DJs are finding more and more songs we've never heard of but we managed to dance a little to a few oldies.
Yeah...I hear ya...what's up with that anyhow?

Got up at 5:00 a.m. to wish DH a safe trip on his m/c. I wanted him to eat something before he left, but he said 'no, that's ok.' I guess I gave him 'the look', so he ate a banana. Standing there in the kitchen with his leathers on, he hugged me goodbye and promptly burped in my ear.

Since he was fed and burped, I was able to wave goodbye with a smile.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #12082
Give me a forum ...

Played golf today and mowed my backyard. Plus walked the dog, so got my exercise in for the day.

Also checked in on the painters work on my mom's kitchen. Tried to pick earthtone colors, but turning out to be a tad darker than I expected. Had 2 women give me their opinion on the samples I picked and they liked them, but doesn't always turn out like the little cards show. Oh well, not that bad but may have to lighten it up a bit whenever I do sell the house. With a dog, the darker colors will help hide the dirt in the meantime.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #12083

Sitting in quick care getting the rest of a tick removed. I couldn't get it all and made an infected mess of it before the doc cleaned it up.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #12084
Full time employment: Posting here.

Woke up to the sound of a chain saw, which was strange and then realized it was in our yard. For a few weeks, our house lights have flickered a few times each day. Called the utility company. They sent folks out to investigate. Turns out to be a tree root upsetting the transformer box in back yard. Some important somethings in that box were smushed together and could have started a fire.

So, they sent out tree co. to cut down tree. They are returning another to pull out stump. Lights have quit flickering.

DH and i did some grocery shopping (Monday mornings are nice and easy at our Kroger), ran some errands.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #12085

I managed to fall off a step stool in the kitchen on Saturday. I have no idea how, but found myself on my butt on the floor, having tipped over the step stool, knocked over the dish drain and hit the open dishwasher door on the way down. So... no sprains or bruises that required medical attention but I went to the chiropractor yesterday and had my back adjusted. I've been in a freaked-out fog since I did this - I didn't faint or anything, just fell. Time for a new step stool.

So I've been mostly playing computer games and dealing with my father's finances - and he is really not good at it. But he wants control. He's 92, halfway across the continent, and not computer-literate (probably a good thing). Slowly, we're getting him online access (for my brother and me to use) so when he loses things we can get them.

Why he would have a revocable living trust and not have all his investment accounts in it... is beyond me and possibly going to be difficult to accomplish. I see probate in my future.

It's rainy and cold out and I need to buy some food and return library books - ugh! Just another weird retirement week, I guess.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #12086
Administrator

That was enough to freak anybody out, Thinker25! Take care and I am glad you are apparently OK.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #12087
Recycles dryer sheets

Picked up sticks in the yard and cut back our decorative grass. Washed and patched the cushion on my deck rocking chair. Cleaned window screens and installed a few. Took two large bags of misc. items to the local thrift store. Spent an hour looking for the power washer (still not found) and my car keys (found).
Busy day, but much more to do after being away all winter.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #12088

Glad you are ok Thinker...!
I worked on one client today, put in the fixings for potato and barley soup, and took a 3 hour nap this afternoon
Old 04-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #12089
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire2013 View Post
Today starts my 4th week in ER. Finally started to feel relaxed enough to sleep until I get up naturally, without guilt and without the alarm clock. The weather has been so lovely since my first day of retirement April 1st. I have been taking many many walks with my dogs. They love ER as much as I do judging by the huge grins on their faces.

Dogwood, and cherry blossom, forsythia, tulips, daffodils, and magnolia bloom all around me. Cannot look in any direction without seeing so many beautiful flowers. I feel truly blessed to be beginning my ER at such a beautiful time of year but I bet I would love ER just as much if it had started during a blizzard.

Free time after decades of hard work feels so delicious. I look forward to doing more of the same. Day after day. Enjoying my coffee or tea, reading, walking the dogs, eating a small breakfast, cleaning the house, laundry, ironing, dusting, a little bit of investment-related paper work or computer time, and then writing in my journal, then heading to Whole Foods to pick up some kale, chard, and any kind of fish that may be on sale, teaching a yoga class or two, then home to prepare and enjoy dinner.

Quiet, leisurely, uneventful day --- one after another. I look forward to another 30 years of this if I should be lucky enough to live that long.
Beautifully written!
Old 04-25-2013, 08:38 PM   #12090

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire2013 View Post
Today starts my 4th week in ER. Finally started to feel relaxed enough to sleep until I get up naturally, without guilt and without the alarm clock. The weather has been so lovely since my first day of retirement April 1st. I have been taking many many walks with my dogs. They love ER as much as I do judging by the huge grins on their faces.

Dogwood, and cherry blossom, forsythia, tulips, daffodils, and magnolia bloom all around me. Cannot look in any direction without seeing so many beautiful flowers. I feel truly blessed to be beginning my ER at such a beautiful time of year but I bet I would love ER just as much if it had started during a blizzard.

Free time after decades of hard work feels so delicious. I look forward to doing more of the same. Day after day. Enjoying my coffee or tea, reading, walking the dogs, eating a small breakfast, cleaning the house, laundry, ironing, dusting, a little bit of investment-related paper work or computer time, and then writing in my journal, then heading to Whole Foods to pick up some kale, chard, and any kind of fish that may be on sale, teaching a yoga class or two, then home to prepare and enjoy dinner.

Quiet, leisurely, uneventful day --- one after another. I look forward to another 30 years of this if I should be lucky enough to live that long.
I really enjoyed reading this as it reflects how I feel too with quite similar activities (though I am more like learning pilate than teaching yoga). Am approaching my 3rd year if retirement and people still ask me what I do all day. Your last para on looking forward to 30 years of quiet, leisurely and uneventful days certainly reflect my thoughts though my ex-colleagues certainly think I am certifiable.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #12091
Recycles dryer sheets

Retire2013 - my thoughts exactly, except the teaching yoga part!
Old 04-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #12092

Having mostly recovered from my fall (see above - thanks for the kind thoughts) I have been doing financial garbage all day. Paying bills, calling banks, all that exciting stuff - despite online access, some things need phone calls

I haven't even eaten lunch. It might be time.... It also might be time to sort through the paper piles AGAIN. It seems as though more comes in than I can handle, daily. If it doesn't get handled immediately... paper piles. My desk is looking scary again. Maybe I'll ignore it for a while and it will go away?

Old 04-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #12093
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday I woke up in Honolulu, spent the morning at Pearl Harbor, the afternoon on Waikiki Beach, enjoyed people watching over a cool beverage at the a beach Club here Honolulu Hotels | Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa | Waikiki Beach Luxury Resorts , met a friend for izakaya at a little hole in the wall that tourists never find, and flew "home" to Maui on my new favorite airline Flights to Hawaii, Hawaii Vacations & Travel - Hawaiian Airlines .

Life is good! Today will be a beach and pool day, very LBYM. Only three vacation days left. Tomorrow: the road to Hana. And I will definitely be returning to the state of Aloha!
Old 04-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #12094
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here's a place I surfed in Nicaragua called Magnific Rock. Weird break, but pretty spot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0706.jpg (563.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 04-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #12095

And this is the break in front of the surf lodge. It's called Panga Drops and if you can see the speck at the bottom of the wave you can get an idea of how big it really is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Panga Drops.jpg (154.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 04-27-2013, 05:13 AM   #12096

Grocery store run, then a 75-mile motorcycle ride on the back country roads. Perfect weather for it.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #12097
Moderator Emeritus

Yesterday: weeded out my phone's apps, made chimichurri sauce, went to the worst movie of the year ("The Big Wedding", or "The Big Stars Must Surely Be Ashamed of This Result"), made fajitas w/ chimichurri sauce.

Today: the first gorgeous day this year, so hitting the sidewalks with my dog.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #12098

Helped out at a local brewery "Pro-Am" event by scoring beers that had been entered into the competition. I had a fantastic time chatting about detailed aspects of the beer we were sampling and hanging out with my brewing buddies, but, get this, I won a raffle and got a 55lb bag of Maris Otter malt!
Old 04-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #12099
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Today: the first gorgeous day this year, so hitting the sidewalks with my dog.
Sure has been a late spring here in Chicago-land. DW bought some steaks at Costco (top-sirloin-cap-off? about 2/3 the price of Rib-Eye and every bit as good, though different than Rib -Eye), I checked out and cleaned the gas grill. Usually DW likes a cab with steak, she said she wanted beer - I've got a mini-keg set-up for my home-brew now, so I brought up samples of a Summer Spiced Wheat, a Spruce Wheat, and a Vienna Ale. She went with the Spruce Wheat, I had the Vienna and followed with a bottle of my Black Rye - my own recipe which I think is perfect with steak.

Combined with a little clean up and organizing around the house - A good day.

-ERD50
Old 04-28-2013, 12:04 AM   #12100
Give me a forum ...

I spent a long day on The Road to Hana which must surely be one of the world's best drives. I went with a tour company as I did not want to be stranded with a flat tire in a remote area without cell phone coverage. Indeed, we saw two young men in a Jeep in exactly that predicament on a very dangerous stretch of road. Highlights for me were the extreme diversity of the landscape (we did the full circuit), a great driver who shared many personal stories of family life in the area, the pools at O'heo Gulch, and the tropical flower farm (where I purchased a bouquet to be sent to a friend). I am now enjoying a glass of wine from the local Tedeschi winery (not bad) and a slice of Sandy's delicious banana bread, both purchased on the trip.

I think anybody who doesn't enjoy Maui needs therapy.