Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #12121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Fabulous designs for the terrariums.
I have a smaller and simpler one, featuring mosses, bits of wood, shiny pebble size rocks and polished minerals, and of course 2 plastic deer figurines (cake decoration size).
Terrariums are cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Today is supposed to get unseasonably warm and the plan is to stay cool as best I can without A/C. In the meantime, I spent the morning assembling 2 new terrariums, one for ferns and mosses, and one for succulents.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #12122
Give me a forum ...

Today was a real cooker for ths time of year in my area...80F in the shade according to my outdoor analog thermometer. Whew!

I reorganized and vacuumed my screened porch. I did some more Earthbox planting, including strawberry plants ordered online, Early Frosty peas, and the seeds from a Mexican cherry pepper (medium hot) variety I bought at the grocery store. I tried strawberries in the open garden years ago with poor results due to the blasted chipmunks, ants and bees eating them . I will put these outside the porch in a few weeks for growth and pollination, and bring them back inside the porch when the berries just start forming.

I transplanted a 6-pack of pansies, 1 each into 5 inch pots. I will give a few away as gifts for some of my gardening challenged friends.

I did the planting while seated to give my big toe a break. I was on my feet for several hours yesterday helping my buddy organize his kitchen. Sure enough, it swelled up again.

I have my annual mammogram tomorrow morning. Please remind any ladies you know to get theirs done.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #12123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Lost a dear cousin today to brain cancer...she was only 58.

She lived about six months after diagnosis. Rest in peace Nancy, we miss you.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #12124
Recycles dryer sheets

On way home from work I spotted a street sweeper, so I swept the winter sand / gravel off the side walk today. I was brushing along the edge of the grass, and I heard a metallic sound, and spotted a ring that my DW lost over a year ago!!!!
Old 05-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #12125
Give me a forum ...

Even though it's early in the day, I decided to crack open a bottle of wine. It's Mirassou Sunset Red...an inexpensive wine...$9 a bottle. It is delicious. It's good for what ails ya, and even if it doesn't cure ya, you don't really care.

Saluto.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #12126

Walking around in the back yard, I looked down and saw four beautiful morels! We've lived here almost nine years, and this was a first, so I was pretty excited. Immediately brought them in, sautéed them in some butter and had a tiny feast. Less than three ounces total weight, but they sure were tasty! I'll be watching that spot like a hawk from now on.

Quite a day indeed!
A couple of hours after finding the morels, I saw the first hummingbird of the year. This is VERY early for Ohio. Scrambled to get the hummer feeder cleaned and filled for them. We do love the little critters.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #12127
Give me a forum ...

Went to Kohl's today with DH. Bought a beard trimmer for $45, and two flannel shirts ($40 each) for him. I got a pair of boots ($90.)

The flannel shirts and boots were on clearance..I had a 30% off coupon and $10 of Kohl's cash. Total amount of purchases $58.00. Plus I got another certificate of $10 Kohl's cash.

I saved over $150.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #12128
Moderator Emeritus

Organized my workshop. Started like this:

ended like this:

Old 05-04-2013, 06:15 AM   #12129

Cut the grass. Played on the computer. Played with a macro lens, extension tube set, and close up flash set. Took DW out to dinner. Nice day.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #12130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
..........I saved over $150.
I celebrate these small victories, too. Yesterdays triumph was getting a 3 foot piece of angle iron for $1 at the scrap yard.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #12131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I celebrate these small victories, too. Yesterdays triumph was getting a 3 foot piece of angle iron for $1 at the scrap yard.
You dah man!

On another note...I'm still trying to figger out Ronstar's post.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #12132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
ended like this:
Apparently disregarding your own advice (sign on the back wall). Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Old 05-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #12133
Moderator Emeritus

Now that I've got my junk power supply de-moused, rewired, and mended (one bad capacitor), on to the next thing. I have this ancient TenTec PM3A, a little radio transmitter and receiver for Morse code (CW) operation. It's most noteworthy for, well, being weird. Physically, it uses RCA jacks, the phono plugs like you may have seen behind older stereo sets, for almost all it's connections except audio, which goes through a pair of pin jacks. So...

I spent a few hours fabricating adapters. Power to RCA... Antenna (SO-239) to RCA... Telegraph key to RCA... Oh, and pin jacks to 1/8" audio connector. The RCA jacks have a hidden risk. Put any of them in the wrong connection on the radio, and POOF!

Next up... Hook the repaired power supply to the radio, and hook the radio to the mended antenna tuner & dummy load, and conduct the traditional smoke test.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #12134
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Visited four wounded warriors at Brooke Army Med Ctr. They all had one simular concern~no one (other than family/friends) really seems to care that they are still fighting and getting ground up in the Afghan. Their wounds and sacrifices are just as valid as those in 2002 when the citizenry were all behind the war and thanking them for their service.

Many of these guys I saw today were in the 5th grade at that time.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #12135
Give me a forum ...

We completed our garage reno today.

Scraped off popcorn ceiling, painted, added recessed lighting and beams. Painted the walls and put down new flooring.

'What do you do all day?'...my Aunt Fanny.

Before and after pics....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04275.jpg (402.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04377.jpg (412.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 05-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #12136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
We completed our garage reno today.

Scraped off popcorn ceiling, painted, added recessed lighting and beams. Painted the walls and put down new flooring.

'What do you do all day?'...my Aunt Fanny.

Before and after pics....
Nice decorative touches. That motorcycle actually looks real.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #12137
Full time employment: Posting here.

Had a moving sale this weekend. Rained pretty much all day yesterday and today. Decent turnout and sales yesterday in spite of the rain but we still had way too much stuff to get rid of so it looked like we would need to run the sale again next weekend. Instead, we took the easy way out and called everyone in the neighborhood this morning and told them to come get as much as they wanted free of charge. We told strangers they could pay $20 and take all they wanted. By 1 PM we still had the better part of a three car garage loaded. Then a nice lady came in and I offered her the same $20 deal. She asked if I was serious and i said as much as she can haul. She was very happy as her church was having a yard sale next weekend and they didn't have enough donations to make it worthwhile. She filled her Ford Explorer three times and will be coming back for another load tomorrow morning. We were ecstatic because, at the rate we were going, we were looking at having to pay someone to haul it all away. Our home is 4,300 sf and it's amazing how much stuff we had accumulated between the five of us over the last 13 years here. Virtually all of our furniture is sold too.

We ER and leave for Mexico in 20 days and we're actually ahead of schedule! Yay!!!
Old 05-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #12138
Dryer sheet wannabe

Cutting the weeds for the last 7 days in the morning 2 hrs/day. Get a full use & test my new weed cutter SHILT FS 90R, gas chain saw 170T & Bearcat behind the wheel gas weed cutter WT190S.
Retired on 4/26/2013, my full time boss, DW, is happy now. City boy enjoying in the ranch environment.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #12139
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Now that I've got my junk power supply de-moused, rewired, and mended (one bad capacitor), on to the next thing. I have this ancient TenTec PM3A.
A PM3A - wow - one of Ten Tec's first transceivers. I had one in the very early 1970s and it was a lot of fun. Even had the matching antenna tuner. Of course, really low QRP output and a regenerative receiver made things interesting. Currently using a TT Argonaut V - several generations removed from that original PM series.

Spent a bit of time today manually programming frequencies into a TH-F6A I picked up recently. That plus food shopping.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #12140
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post

A PM3A - wow - one of Ten Tec's first transceivers. I had one in the very early 1970s and it was a lot of fun. Even had the matching antenna tuner. Of course, really low QRP output and a regenerative receiver made things interesting. Currently using a TT Argonaut V - several generations removed from that original PM series.
And it actually runs! I spent a few minutes tuning it up, ran the transmitter into a dummy load, and everything appeared to be working. I hooked it to the antenna tuner and a doublet antenna (fancy name for a couple of 30-odd foot wires and old TV antenna wire down to the house), flipped the bandswitches to 20M, and picked up hams in Fairbanks, Alaska and Windsor, CT. Some quick tests show that I'm putting out a whole watt of radio signal when transmitting, about as much power as a cell phone's transmitter, or the leakage from a microwave. It's not bad for a 44 year old $75 transceiver.
Closed Thread