Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #12181
Dryer sheet wannabe

Went to my ex employer HR (commute 1.5 hrs) to get the verification of employment info on medical coverage history for my Medicare B application. Next to local SS office, waiting the available parking space for 15 minutes, & another wait for about 2 hrs, then I gave up & went home. It's definitely not my day.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #12182
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by leongs View Post
Went to my ex employer HR (commute 1.5 hrs) to get the verification of employment info on medical coverage history for my Medicare B application. Next to local SS office, waiting the available parking space for 15 minutes, & another wait for about 2 hrs, then I gave up & went home. It's definitely not my day.
Wow! I guess I am lucky that I don't really understand why you needed that. Sounds awful.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 05-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #12183
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thought I posted this, but it didn't show up:

Spent four days relaxing in the truck camper; didn't go far, but wanted to check the systems out before our Alaska run. Did a little walking, a little biking, a bit of reading...

...nice time.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #12184

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
Thought I posted this, but it didn't show up:

Spent four days relaxing in the truck camper; didn't go far, but wanted to check the systems out before our Alaska run. Did a little walking, a little biking, a bit of reading...

...nice time.
Maybe I missed it elsewhere, what camper do you have, and what platform/truck? I'm thinking of getting a small travel trailer or maybe a camper for the state park type places that are too small for our 35' beast. Looking for ideas, leaning towards a 20' Jayco X19H or similar with a bigger fresh water tank.
Thanks
R
Old 05-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #12185
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Just finished hiking Mt Vesuvius and visiting Pompeii. Now sitting on the ship's balcony sipping a glass of wine waiting for sail away...ah vacation :-)
I am so jealous. Because the school calendar this year got so screwed up by hurricanes and blizzards, this is the first time in five years that we have not gone to Italy. We miss it terribly.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #12186

Ugh, this is my first week of retirement and I came down with the flu on Monday. I've been paranoid that I'm just being lazy at this point and sitting home surfing the net will be what my retirement is going to be like. I no longer have a fever or aches but I just don't have energy.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #12187
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Ugh, this is my first week of retirement and I came down with the flu on Monday. I've been paranoid that I'm just being lazy at this point and sitting home surfing the net will be what my retirement is going to be like. I no longer have a fever or aches but I just don't have energy.
Congratulations on your retirement ! One of the best parts of retirement is being able to chill at home when you are sick or recovering !
Old 05-17-2013, 09:56 PM   #12188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Congratulations on your retirement ! One of the best parts of retirement is being able to chill at home when you are sick or recovering !
Thank you! It has been nice not to have to call in sick or feel stressed about getting behind or letting people down. OTOH, I can't wait to feel well enough to do some hiking and backpacking.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #12189

The gf dragged me to an awards ceremony where she works. Actually had a good time. Free beer!! And great prime rib. And... a live band which was actually good.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #12190

I was going to go out on a long motorcycle ride but they kept forecasting rain, the radar showed it close by, but it never actually rained here.

So instead I took over the dining room table and played around with lighting and backgrounds and some tulips I had brought home for DW.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tulips-23.jpg (121.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Tulips-70.jpg (98.7 KB, 1 views)
Old 05-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #12191
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoSour View Post
I miss my old Honda Accord LX...what a great car. Congratulations!

Me, too - I had a 1994 Honda Accord LX that I purchased brand new when I was a single gal - loved that car! It was a manual transmission, which was fun to drive - and I always felt safer in the winter snow/ice. Anyways - drove it for 15 years and then gave it to a friend who needed a car - I think it's still going!! After this, I bought a Toyota Camry (2009) which I am currently driving. I like it, but not as well as I LOVED my Honda. I'll keep this Toyota, though, and drive it at LEAST 15 years, as long as it remains dependable. Our financial guy budgets each of us (hubby and me) a new car every 7 years. WHAT!!! Not gonna happen. We buy and keep 'em!
Old 05-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #12192
Full time employment: Posting here.

After church (we even joined it today after a year+ of visiting), we had a "Grecian Rice Bowl" dish, while not horrible, was not a repeat recipe. I threw the recipe away.

THEN, we drove to Mt. Nebo and hiked the "Rim Trail". It is rated strenuous at sections and i believe it. Told DH i was "butt hiking" as i sat down to slide over some of the scarier rocks. It was a long way down to the bottom of Mt. Nebo and i did not want to risk it.

Stopped for a hamburger and FF on the way home. I usually try to eat healthier, but not when i am exhausted with wobbly legs.

No heading to w*** tomorrow.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #12193

Rambler:

Have a one ton diesel dually, and a Palomino Maverick 2902 (1 slide). A bit larger than we need, but we'll be out for several months at a time. The 2902 is aless expensive unit than the Lances and such, but is nice enough for out needs. We use TCs as a fiberglass tent and often don't use the amenities. The unit is very roomy though, for those times a little space is necessary for even the most loving of couples lol.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #12194

My day sounds so simple, but I've been dreaming of doing this for years. I got up when I woke up. I slowly drank a protein shake while I surfed the net, then got dressed and did my usualy 3 mile walk to the gym. I showered, took a steam bath, soaked in the hot tub, showered again then got dressed.

I Took the train one stop to Trader Joe's and had a free sample of coffee and sampled their vegan food item. I Browsed around the store, picked up a few things and chatted with the clerk as I checked out. I then walked a few blocks to Whole Food$ and bought some beets after browsing around. I Found their coupon for $10 off meat (my partner eats meat) sale for this weekend - $10 off any meat purchase of $50 or more.

I then hopped the bus home, sliced the beets and am roasting them now. I cleaned the refridgerator (we have guests coming next week and I am slowly cleaning instead of madly dashing around).

It is so nice to be able to slow down and not rush through everything as I try and fit life in around work.

I am finally over the flu and am starting to sample the sweet life that is known as retirement. Ahhhh
Old 05-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #12195
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
My day sounds so simple, but I've been dreaming of doing this for years. I got up when I woke up. I slowly drank a protein shake while I surfed the net, then got dressed and did my usualy 3 mile walk to the gym. I showered, took a steam bath, soaked in the hot tub, showered again then got dressed.

I Took the train one stop to Trader Joe's and had a free sample of coffee and sampled their vegan food item. I Browsed around the store, picked up a few things and chatted with the clerk as I checked out. I then walked a few blocks to Whole Food$ and bought some beets after browsing around. I Found their coupon for $10 off meat (my partner eats meat) sale for this weekend - $10 off any meat purchase of $50 or more.

I then hopped the bus home, sliced the beets and am roasting them now. I cleaned the refridgerator (we have guests coming next week and I am slowly cleaning instead of madly dashing around).

It is so nice to be able to slow down and not rush through everything as I try and fit life in around work.

I am finally over the flu and am starting to sample the sweet life that is known as retirement. Ahhhh
It's delicious, isn't it?
Old 05-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #12196

Got back to HK yesterday after taking DW to Cambodia (without children) for our wedding anniversary. Fantastic trip - Angkor Wat and the other temples around Siem Reap were well worth the visit.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #12197
Gone but not forgotten

Looked at the DJIA... @ 15,500, it's 234% of the $6600 in March 2009. Not bad for a little more than four years.

Looked, but on the outside, looking in.

...and thus the signature...
Old 05-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #12198

Went to the grocery for fresh veggies, fruit, and some fish. Went to Finance at my soon to be ex employer (on terminal vacation until June 2) to let them know how much I want withheld from a nice separation check. Made lunch. Played Clash of Clans. Made supper. Tomorrow plan to adjust and clean the bikes. Get bills set up on autopay in prep for our RV excursion.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #12199
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Put the 2nd coat of paint on the iron grill posts in front of my house. A PITA as it is slow with all the detail to cover. Hope to get the door steps done this weekend and then I can move into the inside. All rooms need painting. But....you do what you have to do to get a house ready to be put on the market. At least it will be cool inside.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #12200
Moderator Emeritus

I just came back from a great vacation in the mountains. So relaxing and decadent. Tomorrow, I have tickets for a SF Giants game. On Saturday, I'm gonna walk to the farmer's market to load up on fruits and vegetables. And on Sunday, I'll be going to the beach.
Closed Thread