Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #12201
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I just came back from a great vacation in the mountains. So relaxing and decadent. Tomorrow, I have tickets for a SF Giants game. On Saturday, I'm gonna walk to the farmer's market to load up on fruits and vegetables. And on Sunday, I'll be going to the beach.
Where in the mountains did you go? Was it your first time there? And what did you like best about your stay there?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #12202
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
Where in the mountains did you go? Was it your first time there? And what did you like best about your stay there?
The mountains in Wine Country, north of San Francisco. It was my third time there, although it was the first time I stayed for any length of time. The hotel was top notch, the food and wine were great, it was extremely quiet and restful, the weather was perfect for sunning by the pool and riding in our convertible with the top down along the winding roads. A little piece of heaven on earth.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:35 PM   #12203

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
The mountains in Wine Country, north of San Francisco. It was my third time there, although it was the first time I stayed for any length of time. The hotel was top notch, the food and wine were great, it was extremely quiet and restful, the weather was perfect for sunning by the pool and riding in our convertible with the top down along the winding roads. A little piece of heaven on earth.
Wow, that sounds wonderful!
Old 05-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #12204

Yet another meeting with the Medicaid paralegal at the elderlaw attorney's office. Fortunately the worst is behind us in gathering all the data. Lately I've been feeling guilty about leaving for work since I know DW is working harder on that project than I am at anything.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #12205
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Yet another meeting with the Medicaid paralegal at the elderlaw attorney's office. Fortunately the worst is behind us in gathering all the data. Lately I've been feeling guilty about leaving for work since I know DW is working harder on that project than I am at anything.
You need to retire so you can get to work helping her.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #12206

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You need to retire so you can get to work helping her.
Hey, I might be slow but I'm not stupid. I'll wait for her to finish and then quit the job.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #12207
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Hey, I might be slow feel a little guilty but I'm not stupid. I'll wait for her to finish and then quit the job.
FIFY
Old 05-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #12208

I'm catching up with my volunteer projects and house projects after being away for DS's college graduation (yay!) and realized I had ER.org withdrawal so here I am for a little break. Although graduations are usually terminally boring, Bill Nye the Science Guy was the speaker and he was terrific - entertaining and inspiring. He also stayed and shook the hand of every single graduate (more than 1,500).

Got back late Wednesday night. Yesterday was meeting, haircut, planning for next meeting, meeting, bunco (can't miss my night out with the girls!) - DH had to eat frozen leftovers. So this morning I went to the grocery store so I can cook a nice dinner - grilled salmon with mustard honey glaze and lots of veggies. Made a bunch of phone calls for volunteer projects and still working through e-mails from the past week. After dinner I hope to get caught up with some of the DVR recordings also as we were too busy for TV while we were gone. It's nice to be home!
Old 05-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #12209
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Getting ready to head out from the hotel to day 3 of DelFest.

It was really windy and fairly cold yesterday (highs in the mid 50s), and I hadn't planned properly so didn't have enough warm clothes. But after covering myself with multiple layers as well as everything I had in the trunk of the car (wife's winter coat, beach towel, poncho) I stayed warm enough. Great music all day, ending near midnight with an excellent two set show by the Trey Anastasio Band. Hope today and tomorrow are as good. At least it will be warm enough to drink beer today. We used up all the bourbon last night.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #12210
Give me a forum ...

Once again, I am taking a moment out of my very busy FIREd life to log on and say hello

Not much going on here today. We just got back from a road trip to NH to visit Mr B's mom. We decided not to stay at the cheaper hotel and got a really nice room at the Holiday Inn in Nashua. I wanted to use the outdoor pool but the New England weather was not supporting that idea.

My short list includes launching the boat next week, planting some dwarf cold hardy fruit trees in my large backyard garden, pruning my 3 year old grapevines, and doing some homegrown tomato seedling transplanting into 5 gallon buckets.
We have a freeze warning forecast for Sunday night, so I think I shall wait on that.
Every time I go to the grocery store, I marvel at the prices of organic veggies. I use no pesticides at all. My own little container garden provides us with just enough fresh veggies so there is no waste. The freshness of "just picked" cannot be rivaled. I have been enjoying the young tender shoots of 25 asparagus plants I ordered online. I threw them into an Earthbox temorarily until I can get the outside ground level bed prepared.

Memorial Day is already booked solid with several ceremonies at area Legions and VFWs. I have my digital camera at the ready to take formal and candid shots for the Posts. I transfer the pics to CDs and give them to the Post Commander for their historical records of members and events. At no charge of course.

It's cloudy out and chilly, so watching some Red Sox and/or Mets baseball and baked chicken wings with authentic Buffalo wing sauce for dinner sounds good.

LETS GO METS!!!!!!!
Old 05-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #12211
Give me a forum ...

Looking at my pics and writing in my journal of my adventures of our trip.

Here's a summary....

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1323182
Old 05-26-2013, 05:55 AM   #12212

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Looking at my pics and writing in my journal of my adventures of our trip.
We are going to take a trip when issues are settled with FIL (i.e., he passes) and I leave my job in July. Don't know where but we're going somewhere.

In the meanwhile I bought DW some flowers and played around with a macro lens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Memorial_Day_flowers.jpg (112.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Resistors.jpg (165.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 05-26-2013, 06:25 AM   #12213
Give me a forum ...

Harley, glad to hear Delfest is going well! Have you heard about Interlocken? Boy, I'd love to see that fest, but we'll be still doing the bus trip then! You should check it out! And give us a full report! http://www.interlockenfestival.com/

Old 05-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #12214
Give me a forum ...

I woke up to another cloudy chilly day.

I have a few small indoor projects looming, so that's the order of the day.

I'm in a cooking mood...going down to the freezer to see what looks interesting. Maybe a small pork tenderloin roast in the crockpot, Portuguese style.

I'm going to make some of this as a flavoring for the pork roast.
http://www.food.com/recipe/pimenta-m...r-sauce-482885
Old 05-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #12215
Give me a forum ...

Finalized a consulting project I have been doing for the past few months. I am so glad I don't have to lead the implementation!
Old 05-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #12216
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Getting ready to head out from the hotel to day 3 of DelFest.

It was really windy and fairly cold yesterday (highs in the mid 50s), and I hadn't planned properly so didn't have enough warm clothes. But after covering myself with multiple layers as well as everything I had in the trunk of the car (wife's winter coat, beach towel, poncho) I stayed warm enough. Great music all day, ending near midnight with an excellent two set show by the Trey Anastasio Band. Hope today and tomorrow are as good. At least it will be warm enough to drink beer today. We used up all the bourbon last night.
Sounds phishy...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 05-28-2013, 12:17 PM   #12217

I masticated for about half an hour around noon today!
Old 05-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #12218

Too much information.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:12 AM   #12219
Administrator

Drove up to Chicago over the weekend, 1406 miles. 30.65 mpg. Driving long distances in the US is so easy, at least compared with other countries where I have driven. Outside the cities traffic was light and well behaved.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #12220
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Drove up to Chicago over the weekend, 1406 miles. 30.65 mpg. Driving long distances in the US is so easy, at least compared with other countries where I have driven. Outside the cities traffic was light and well behaved.
Better you than me. The older I get, the less I enjoy driving long distances. I'd rather just stay home. Glad you got to Chicago safely and with minimal hassle.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Closed Thread