Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #12221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Lesseeee.....I planted some lettuce for a horticulturally challenged buddy from the local VFW. His doctor has been bugging him to eat more salads in lieu of meat and potatoes. I had some extra seeds so I helped him out.

Mr B made us a fabulous cheese pizza. Then an intense thunderstormstorm cell moved in and drowned my front yard and driveway. Looks like I'll be attempting to mow the yard again in between the never ending rain events. No boat launching this week.

A Red Sox game is on tonight, so as soon as the storm passes, I'll fire up the PS3 and watch the game via our MLB.tv subscription. I'm becoming a real baseball watching nut, thanks to Mr B.

I splurged and bought a RONCO Platinum edition rotisserie the other day. I had been watching/waiting for a price drop at Amazon, and sure enough it dropped to $126.
http://www.amazon.com/ST5000PLGEN-Sh...nco+rotisserie
It arrived today. Gotta go get some whole chickens and try it out.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #12222
Give me a forum ...

Part II of the driveway story...the downpour yesterday swept a whole ****load of tiny pebbles, dirt and sand (leftover from winter) down the side of the road, across and covered the end of the driveway. The lowest points were now damp and dirty and mucky.
So I fired up the power washer and attempted to clean it all off in one pass. Wrong! The accumulation of sand and dirt from before the storm plus what washed on during the storm was now hard packed down and approx 1 inch thick. Argh!
I spent 3 hours rounding up the sediment and spraying it onto the lawn.
Mr B tried to help but his spraying technique left a lot to be desired.

To finish up the project, I cut 3 drainage channels into the lawn using the power washer sprayer on high setting, to allow future proper runoff.
Good thing I had my safety glasses on. My entire body was speckled with sediment that bounced back off the lawn edge. I rinsed the dirt off my clothes and arms in the driveway, which got a few funny looks from the drivers of passing cars.

Mr B rewarded my hard w*rk with a nice lunch out at a local Italian mom-n-pop
restaurant. Then we went and grabbed a $99 RCA 5000 BTU window air conditioner from Aldi's. It's supposed to be in the 90s tomorrow. That is completely out of character for my area.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #12223
Give me a forum ...

My walking group's best walk so far!

kettlevalleyrailtrail.com | Naramata

Walked along the Kettle Valley Railway trail from Penticton to the Hillside Winery in Naramata, where we tasted wines, had a delicious LBYM lunch, and toured the winery before returning on foot to our vehicles. About 1 hour each way. Spectacular views in glorious sunshine!

Life is good.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:02 PM   #12224
Recycles dryer sheets

My kids' last day at school and early release. I took them to a trailer food vendor for lunch. I also picked up rental car the same time. Will drive to Great Smoky tomorrow for a week. Yeah!
Old 05-31-2013, 07:56 PM   #12225

Returned from an RV trip up to the famous Canton First Monday Trade Days (which are actually held on the Thursday-Sunday before the First Monday of each month). We were amazed at what people sell (and buy) at this ginormous flea market. I had no idea that my set of 1979 Pyrex mixing bowls that I donated to Goodwill a few years back now sell for $30 or more at flea markets. And that each piece of vintage Corning Ware now sells for $10 or more. A fun trip - we purchased some art for around our fish pond and a few small items, and checked one more off our bucket list.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #12226
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday I got my hair cut and colored, met with my accountant, and attended a wonderful (free) concert at a historic local church with great acoustics. Today I plan to focus on housekeeping and a walk.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #12227
Give me a forum ...

I goofed off all day. I took a midday nap just because I could.

Tonight we attended the very last American Legion officer installation dinner of the season. Next big event is the statewide Legion Convention in Niagara Falls, NY in July. I have not seen the Falls in decades. I plan to grab a tourist shuttle to the American side while Mr B is in meetings. You can see the Falls many times in one lifetime, but each time is just like the first.

We are watching the Red Sox waxing the Yankees, score 5-1 at the top of the 7th inning. Heeheeheeeeeee...

Old 06-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #12228
Give me a forum ...

Cut grass, trim hedges, go for coffee, stopped at Tractor suplly for a three pack of work gloves, onto wllyworld got some LED lights which I will modify for 12VDC to use at the camp. Splendid dinner by DW. Sanded the topside of my kayak, again, two more coats varnish and will be ready for the lake.

Now surfing the board.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #12229
Administrator

Took the roadster out for a spin. We drove to Sandy Hook for lunch al fresco, but our usual lunch place is under construction, so we ate at the Lake House in Seymour (on the Housatonic River). After lunch, we went to Rich Farm in Oxford for ice cream (the best on the planet). I'm a little sunburned.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #12230
Give me a forum ...

Another goof off day...

It rained off and on all day, so no lawn mowing happened today. Pity...

I emptied and filled the dishwasher, made a nice baked chicken midday dinner, and am getting ready to watch the "rubber match" between the Red Sox and the Yankees on ESPN. Mr B loves his Sox.

I feel a dish of homemade mint chocolate chip ice cream coming on...
Old 06-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #12231
Full time employment: Posting here.

Today was filled with yard work.

Yesterday we attended a doubleheader between Arkansas Travelers and Corpus Christi Hooks. Travelers lost both games.

It was a breezy day in the low 80's...won't be many more of those around here until next fall. Sun and beer. Today it's iced tea and water.

We ate out yesterday and today. Grocery shopping tomorrow so we can get back to home dining.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #12232
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Left the house at 7am and went for a hike. Cold and blustery and hardly anyone else out there.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #12233
Recycles dryer sheets

Spent time with my daughter and her dh. Worked on treehouse/clubhouse with my granddaughter. Sprayed liquid seven on vege's garden. Used my new (60 year old) planet jr garden wheel hoe to weed between rows of vege's. installed a new 115volt outlet in a garage nook for the freezer my DW wants moved out of utility room.

Tomorrow will be even better, except I gotta run to the lumberyard for more material to finish the treehouse. Man, I sweated like a pig today, but it was all good.

B
Old 06-05-2013, 06:09 AM   #12234
Give me a forum ...

Summertime is here. Took the dog on an afternoon walk(5 miles) at a local state park. When I got in I was totally drenched from head to toe in sweat. My dog enjoyed the lake though, walking in and laying down to cool off. Wish I had.

This morning I plan to play golf and then do some house work. Still cleaning out stuff from my mom's old house. Might do a little painting too.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #12235
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, MartyP, I hope you get some rain! Wildcat Canyon looked so brown. I haven't seen it in 45 years, but I don't recall it looking so parched and brown. But then, maybe my memories are hazy due to all the years between then and now. It is a spectacularly lovely area, though, and I am glad you enjoyed your hike there. Thanks for sharing your video.

Today I will be engaged in SSDD (Same Stuff Different Day). I didn't want to sleep all day, so I awakened to my birdsongs alarm clock. It is a gym day (we go on MWF), and I lift weights at the gym. After we are done at the gym, we will eat lunch out, usually splitting something healthy, and then spend the rest of the afternoon together. We will probably go on a pleasure drive if weather permits. Then home, and enjoying my solitude this evening doing whatever I want to do. I love retirement!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 06-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #12236
Give me a forum ...

Spent an hour out in the front yard last night, 11 - 12. I was watching for the rocket launch from Wallops Island, but they scrubbed it. I'll be out there again tonight. hopefully it will still be clear and beautiful.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #12237
Give me a forum ...

I launched my boat today I had the lake almost entirely to myself, so I opened it up to 41 mph on "smooth as glass" water. I have a need for speed and I have a 190 HP I/O engine on board to satisfy that urge. Zooooooommm!

I spent a few hours cleaning the bow and dashboard with Collonite pre-wax cleaner. I'll finish up the remainer of the inside on the next visit. I set the bow and spring lines like a true engineer, building redundancy into the system. My fellow boaters laugh at my dock line system, but so what? If one line breaks, there is always a backup.

We are supposed to get rain for the next 2 days, so I'm glad I got her launched.

Dinner was lasagna, made and frozen back in December. Yum yuuuummmmmm
Old 06-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #12238

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
...... You can see the Falls many times in one lifetime, but each time is just like the first.

So true!
Old 06-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #12239
Full time employment: Posting here.

About fifteen years ago, we (with three kids) visited Niagara Falls and then drove on to Quebec City for a few days. DH and i vowed to re-visit, once the kids had flown the coop. Both places had such a romantic edge to them.

Need to work that jaunt in....while that romantic aura still might mean something.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #12240

I went to Cunningham Falls State Park in the Catoctin Mountains in Maryland. Love that area and there were very few people there.
Closed Thread