Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #12281
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
This evening, we had our 23rd annual summer solstice celebration. We ate our traditional dinner of oysters on the half-shell, steamed lobsters, grilled asparagus and potato salad with smoked salmon, capers and dill. All washed down with a bottle of Veuve Clicquot. And fresh strawberries for dessert.
Sounds like a great meal!

About 4 years ago, my wife and I started a tradition of buying 6 bottles of great wine each year around March or April (usually from wineries that we have visited over the years), and then saving them to enjoy with 6 special meals throughout the year (that we prepare ourselves). The special meals celebrate special occasions or events, such as the day that we open our lake cottage for the summer, first meal using all fresh produce from my vegetable garden, first meal of fresh seafood when we arrive at our rental house on the Gulf coast for the winter, etc.. The occasions vary a little bit from year to year, as our lives change (and we enjoy discussing/debating which events deserve a spot in the "special" category each year). It's a lot of fun, and a tradition we hope to continue.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2013, 07:52 AM   #12282
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Lazy lazy Saturday today...T storms are predicted for this afternoon, so no sense in going outside in the high humidity and having non-stop hot flashes. The air conditioning feels mighty fine right now.

Mr B scored some split chicken halves at a very good price yesterday. I hate grocery shopping, but he is happy to go do it as long as I put together the list. I think I'll keep him.
The rotisserie will be fired up to cook those chicken halves for an easy midday meal. Maybe I'll get ambitious and make some homemade potato salad for him. Maybe not.

No Red Sox on until tonight. I'll figure out what to do with myself all day, or just take a nap. Or go pick some fresh peas...I love mentally aimless days like this.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #12283

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
About 4 years ago, my wife and I started a tradition of buying 6 bottles of great wine each year around March or April (usually from wineries that we have visited over the years), and then saving them to enjoy with 6 special meals throughout the year (that we prepare ourselves). The special meals celebrate special occasions or events, such as the day that we open our lake cottage for the summer, first meal using all fresh produce from my vegetable garden, first meal of fresh seafood when we arrive at our rental house on the Gulf coast for the winter, etc.. The occasions vary a little bit from year to year, as our lives change (and we enjoy discussing/debating which events deserve a spot in the "special" category each year). It's a lot of fun, and a tradition we hope to continue.
What an excellent tradition. Long may it continue in your household!

Old 06-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #12284

I've been in ER now for a week. Pre-planning was not in the cards for this adventure. The townhouse I rent has been sold and I have to be out by the 28th. I don't have time to go through everything so into the Penske truck it goes. Packing and moving boxes to the second floor mostly from the fourth and fifth floor.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #12285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Went to Hagerstown city park and fine arts museum, then to see an old friend to had moved a few hours away when he got engaged, then moved back when he got disengaged. We just sat on the back porch for a couple of hours and chatted and played with his cats.
Walt - in that first photo, the cat has the classic "stuffed animal" expression -the open jaws and the ferocious look. Quite entertaining!

Old 06-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #12286
Full time employment: Posting here.

Fortieth high school reunion...only a 2.5 hour drive from my home. I grew up on a farm outside a small farming town. 111 in my class; 24 have already passed. That seems like such a high number. 31 attended plus 27 from the previous class. A very few I spoke with have retired. I am very fortunate (alive and retired).

Not exactly fun, but glad I attended. Scooted out early so DH could catch last bit of Bruins/Blackhawks game. That did not turn out to his liking.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #12287
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I was rudely awakened at dawn by a sound I hadn't heard 'live' in quite a while. He was sitting in a cedar tree just outside our bedroom window. First yardbird I've seen in the 15 years we've lived out here (subdivision restrictions don't allow any farm animals other than horses).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0142.jpg (591.8 KB, 18 views)
Old 06-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #12288
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
Fortieth high school reunion...only a 2.5 hour drive from my home.
Wow - we (wife and I both graduated the same year from the same HS) have our 45th coming up late July. And also a similar distance away - Schenectady, NY from near Boston!
Old 06-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #12289

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I was rudely awakened at dawn by a sound I hadn't heard 'live' in quite a while. He was sitting in a cedar tree just outside our bedroom window. First yardbird I've seen in the 15 years we've lived out here (subdivision restrictions don't allow any farm animals other than horses).
Winner, winner chicken dinner?
Old 06-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #12290

Couldn't decide whether to post this in the "Pets" thread or here, decided it was better here. We picked up a Sheltie puppy today that we're fostering for the rescue group we've been involved with for many years. No name yet for the little guy, he's deaf so the breeder decided to give him to the rescue group rather than try to sell him. He's got a big voice though! This was taken after he came in from some time out in the back yard. Don't expect to get much sleep tonight.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:02 PM   #12291

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Couldn't decide whether to post this in the "Pets" thread or here, decided it was better here. We picked up a Sheltie puppy today that we're fostering for the rescue group we've been involved with for many years. No name yet for the little guy, he's deaf so the breeder decided to give him to the rescue group rather than try to sell him. He's got a big voice though! This was taken after he came in from some time out in the back yard. Don't expect to get much sleep tonight.
He is precious! Did he fall asleep in the food bowl while eating his dinner? Too cute.

Lucky puppy to end up with you. Here's hoping you get at least a little sleep.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #12292

There were a couple of pieces of food in the bowl that he was eating, next thing you know, he's out for about 45 minutes!
Old 06-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #12293

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
There were a couple of pieces of food in the bowl that he was eating, next thing you know, he's out for about 45 minutes!
Awwww! Keep the puppy pics and stories coming. My work schedule is unpredictable, so cannot have a dog - could not provide the attention and outside time they need.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #12294

Started our day at Panera's, then piddled around the house and yard. Tomorrow's high is predicted to hit 100 degrees, so it will be an inside day.

Settled in to watch Big Brother. We have never, ever watched this show, but our oldest son's very good friend is a contestant. In fact, the friend first applied while visiting my son in Portland, ME this last April. Over 40,000 applied with 16 making it.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #12295
Moderator Emeritus

Just endured 30 hrs with no power after a brief but nasty storm. Got some electronic stuff fried.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:34 PM   #12296

Had a nice lunch with former work colleagues. Still fun after 2.5 yrs ER.

Took a lab tour with the engineer who has my old (much reduced job). Turns out he gave his notice yesterday. He only started last October. I dodged a bullet leaving when I did.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #12297
Recycles dryer sheets

Detailed the Bimmer in preparation for our drive to VA tomorrow to spend another month with the kids and grandkids.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #12298

Went to the Blackhawk Auto Museum with the retiree association from my former employer. I wasn't sure how much I was going to like this but it turned out to be a really nice exhibit. They had some very beautiful and unusual cars. The picture is one of several concept cars on display. We had a docent led tour too.

Afterward we went to lunch and I got to talk so some former colleagues I hadn't seen in 20 yrs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1967.jpg (546.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #12299

Just returned from an 1800 mile trip to visit friends, relatives, and attend the Back To The 50s weekend in St Paul Minnesota. It was a great trip but I am very glad to be home.

BTT50s: http://msrabacktothe50s.com/
Old 06-29-2013, 05:05 AM   #12300

Spent yesterday chasing and taking care of our foster puppy along with monitoring some patio work we have going on. DW and I are both worn out from taking care of the little guy, he's been very good but reminds us of what it was like to have a baby in the house. He actually sleeps for about 5 hours at night so that is better than we were expecting. Here he is in a quiet moment.

Here's a picture of the patio work under way- fireplace pavilion that will be great this fall. On the left side is a base for a platform where I plan to build a wood fired pizza oven. I bought a kit so just waiting for the landscaper work to be completed so I can begin the build. Never done anything along those lines so should be interesting.

Closed Thread