Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #12321
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Went too see the movie "White house down". Amazing special effects.

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2013, 07:00 AM   #12322
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

While killing time in a Barnes & Noble as DW shopped for 'important stuff' at a nearby Hancock Fabrics, I ran across their display of Nook tablets. I had forgotten the announcement in May that B&N had opened the Nook to Google Play, turning it from what was primarily an e-reader into a 'real' android tablet. I was impressed by the Nook HD+ 9 inch tablet, especialy with the $149 price tag.

I have been lusting after an android tablet for some time but too cheap to spring for a well-known brand and leery of the no-name bargain variety. After returning home and doing a little research to confirm I could download the Kindle e-reader app and read all my Kindle books on the Nook, I was sold - order placed. My trusty first generation Kindle hand-me-down has served me well, but it is time to put it out to pasture.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 07-08-2013, 07:34 AM   #12323

If it has anywhere near the functionality of an android tablet it is an amazing price for online access.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:45 AM   #12324

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
If it has anywhere near the functionality of an android tablet it is an amazing price for online access.
That's what some of the reviews say: A fantastic tablet value

Old 07-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #12325

Saturday night was our 40th High School reunion. Our graduating class (we were in high school together) had almost 1000 students so we usually get a pretty good turnout for these things. It was a very nice event held at a lovely country club with about 250-300 including some spouses or significant others.

Nice to see old friends and classmates. I was proud to tell friends that DH is retired for 3 years. Many asked him "what do you do all day?" He talked about his bicycling, gardening and his reduced stress life.

The noise level in the dining room was painful, with a band playing and people trying to talk. I thought it was just me, but when we looked for a quieter area to carry on conversations I found a lot of other people doing the same thing.

Most people looked pretty good for 58. I enjoyed hearing about friends who have new grandchildren and how everyone's lives have progressed. We also checked up on how everyone's parents are managing. There was a nice display table showing the names and pictures of 47 classmates who have died. Some of these I had known about, some were more recent.

Fun time and I look forward to the next one in 10 years.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #12326
Full time employment: Posting here.

Water aerobics in the outside pool at the gym, which was great. Followed by a not-so-great experience at the car dealer, where we brought the car in to have the locks repaired (under warranty), but as usual, they attempted to oversell us lots of other things. Frustrating!

Tai chi tonight, so I'm hoping that will mellow me out.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #12327
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just checking in...

I've been doing whatever is possible with the constant and record setting rainfall in my area. For once it is good to be at higher elevation than the Mohawk River valley that is being hit so hard. My bet is many municipalities will undergo a stringent state review of their water channeling and drainage systems for future excess rainfall events.

I joined my lady friend today for a delicious Lebanese lunch buffet. It was her turn to buy, so yes there is such a thing as free lunch.
We went to her house afterwards to enjoy the air conditioning and shoot the breeze instead of going to the Legion. We were both too full from lunch to even think about a beer. Too damn hot out, besides. Now THAT is one for the record books.

Her kids and grandchildren are coming to visit in a few days, so she needed a break from all the food purchasing and cleaning house. I told her if it got too crazy with all the munchkins running around shrieking, she could bug out and come stay at my house. She just might take me up on that offer.

Mr B and I are lazing around the house with the Yankees baseball game on. Red Sox don't come on until 10 PM. No fair!

PS My tomatoes are blossoming like crazy.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #12328
Moderator Emeritus

The best part of my day is over--liquid diet in advance of routine colonoscopy tomorrow morning. Now the fun part of the prep begins. Blah.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #12329
Give me a forum ...

I investigated alternatives to my information services. Cut the cable, cut the rocket stick, changed the cell phone plan (removed the enterprise server, no longer needed!) and saved myself approximately $90 per month!!!

Old 07-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #12330
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
The best part of my day is over--liquid diet in advance of routine colonoscopy tomorrow morning. Now the fun part of the prep begins. Blah.
When I had my colonoscopy I mixed the laxative with ginger ale . Just thinking about ginger ale now makes me queasy . Good luck !
Old 07-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #12331
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
When I had my colonoscopy I mixed the laxative with ginger ale . Just thinking about ginger ale now makes me queasy . Good luck !
I was thinking of mixing it with wine... Kidding!
Old 07-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #12332
Give me a forum ...

Made a post on redduck's thread today (here), after a hiatus of a few months due to a serious health problem. May open up about this later, as it might help others with the same illness in the future.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #12333

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Made a post on redduck's thread today (here), after a hiatus of a few months due to a serious health problem. May open up about this later, as it might help others with the same illness in the future.
Sorry to hear about your problem. You've dropped off the board for extended periods in the past to go on extended RV trips so I assumed this was more of the same.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #12334
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your health issue. I too assumed you were having too much fun traveling around with your RV!
Old 07-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #12335
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I was thinking of mixing it with wine... Kidding!
Don't do it you will never drink wine again and have to start drinking vodka which will ruin your liver !
Old 07-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #12336
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hope you are feeling better !
Old 07-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #12337
Give me a forum ...

I was in fact able to squeeze in an RV trip to New Orleans in between treatments (might be my last RV trip for what I knew), and got my craving for Cajun and Creole food satiated.

Just got out of the hospital today, and in fact just swallowed a pill of Percocet. I might just be able to stick around on this earth a little longer. Will see.

I did lurk here on/off, and caught the news that calmloki got a close call with his ticker. Not sure what would be better: to kneel over from a sudden cause, or to have time to contemplate your prognosis. Not that we really have a choice anyway!

One thing's for sure: Being a pessimist, I have never taken seriously a 30-yr run with FIRECalc (I am 57). Me, living to the 90s? To 80 would be nice, I thought. And as it turned out, at this point, it could be anything for me. But then, what's new? Has there been any guarantee for anyone?

I have run some longevity calculators in the past, just to chuckle at their prediction. Hah! A visit to the doctor could throw all that out, and all your dreams and plans. Though I am a perennial pessimist, I of course secretly hoped I would be proven wrong. Nope, life is full of uncertainties, just as I expected.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #12338

Quote:
So sorry to hear this - hope your treatment is progressing well.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 07-08-2013, 10:29 PM   #12339
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
So sorry to hear this - hope your treatment is progressing well.
+1

Hang in there NW....more Cajun food awaits.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:31 PM   #12340
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's good to have you back!