Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #12341
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I was impressed by the Nook HD+ 9 inch tablet, especialy with the $149 price tag....I was sold - order placed.
I got my order today - at least I got a box shipped by Barnes & Noble. It didn't contain the Nook HD+, only a power cord. The enclosed packing slip saying the box contained a Nook tablet and power cord. There was no evidence the box had been tampered with.

B&N customer service says they are sending me my missing Nook - at least I think that's what "Ross" said...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2013, 07:34 AM   #12342
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday I had lunch with friends at a lakeside hotel

Lakeside Restaurant | Hotel Eldorado

And voted in an election, the outcome of which was....

B.C. Premier Christy Clark beaming after byelection win - British Columbia - CBC News

Today I plan to take a hike in a local park, renew my drivers' license, and do some chores.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:40 AM   #12343
Administrator

Yesterday we had grandparents duty, babysitting the GKs while DD is out of town. Made progress on my goal of spoiling them.

Over the past 2 months I have had to drive morning or evening (or both) rush hour traffic at least twice per week, the bumber-to-bumper kind and also the nascar highway kind. It is so good to be retired. I feel for those folks, they are killing themselves behind the wheel with stress.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #12344
Moderator Emeritus

I'm on my midsummer az condo checkup, and was greeted by a rattlesnake 2' from my garage door. I'm going back to Illinois where my biggest predators are poison ivy and Mosquitos
Old 07-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #12345
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Lucky, only one? We have had 2.5 inch of rain this month the the third world part of the state. Black bears left, tarantulas, and Diamondbacks took their place.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #12346
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Lucky, only one? We have had 2.5 inch of rain this month the the third world part of the state. Black bears left, tarantulas, and Diamondbacks took their place.
Yes just one- and one was more than enough. I don't know how you native Arizonans (and other rattlesnake infested people) do it. I freak out when I see a rattlesnake (4 times in 11 years of snowbirding) or tarantula (once), but I'm ok in Illinois regardless of what I run into. At least in il there aren't any critters that can kill you. I wonder what the guy thought while I was running around protecting myself from the snake with a push broom while he calmly walked his poodle down the street.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #12347
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I wonder what the guy thought while I was running around protecting myself from the snake with a push broom while he calmly walked his poodle down the street.
Had I been walking by, I would have been wondering just exactly how fast a rattlesnake can slither up a push broom handle. Glad you didn't get hurt.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 07-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #12348
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I got my order today - at least I got a box shipped by Barnes & Noble. It didn't contain the Nook HD+, only a power cord. The enclosed packing slip saying the box contained a Nook tablet and power cord. There was no evidence the box had been tampered with.

B&N customer service says they are sending me my missing Nook - at least I think that's what "Ross" said...
Update: B&N came through - UPS delivered my replacement Nook today at 5:30 pm.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:27 AM   #12349

More like what will I do today. We received a whole bunch of rain last night. The creek, I mean my driveway is still running this morning. I bet I will move a ton of sand and gravel, to make repairs, all by hand. The great thing about ER is I don't have to be anywhere. I will take the dogs for a walk out the west gate.

driveway 7-12-2013.jpg
Old 07-12-2013, 08:01 AM   #12350

Yesterday evening was my last day of work. Turned in the gear this morning.

I am tempted to get a lawn chair and a bag of popcorn and watch the circus from across the street at (former) work Monday morning as they try to make things function with 19 full time of 45 people gone. A couple of us discussed doing that.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #12351
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Welcome to the dark side!
Old 07-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #12352
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

I am tempted to get a lawn chair and a bag of popcorn and watch the circus from across the street at (former) work Monday morning as they try to make things function with 19 full time of 45 people gone. A couple of us discussed doing that.
Congrats!

I predict that by the time Monday rolls around, this will be the furthest thing from your mind. ER is about moving forward and living your life. This work stuff will be behind you in about 24 hours (24 minutes, or seconds or nano-jiffies for some of us). You'll be too busy enjoying yourself to have any interest at all in something like that. At least that's how it was for me.

Enjoy!

-ERD50
Old 07-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #12353
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I don't know how you native Arizonans (and other rattlesnake infested people) do it.
Very swiftly, with a forked stick to hold the head to the ground, and a machete in the right hand to separate it from the rest of the snake. Be wary of the severed head, as it can still bite. The body of the snake can be skinned now - the meat is like chicken. If stored in a bag in the refrigerator to skin later, it can still coil and trash for an hour afterwards. The skin can be tanned with a solution of equal parts of water, glycerine, and isopropyl alcohol. After drying, its use is limited only by one's creativity.

No, I have not done the above, but the info was gathered from a blog written by a man who lives off the land in Southern Texas, in what is called Terlingua Ranch. Other than having solar panels to power computers to make blog posts, one can live as close to the way the pioneers lived 150 years ago as one cares to. In fact, one will have to, as there's no paved road (what is called a road turn to a mud trap after a rain), no water, very little vegetation, no nothin'.

And by the way, just now, I looked at the often publicized list of the hazards of Texas as put together by REWahoo. I saw no mentioning of conenoses. What's a conenose, you ask?

Well, even the rattlesnake eaters mind the conenoses. They are like bedbugs, bite and suck your blood just like bedbugs, except that they can be up to 3/4" long.

Welcome to Texas, and enjoy your stay.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #12354

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
And by the way, just now, I looked at the often publicized list of the hazards of Texas as put together by REWahoo. I saw no mentioning of conenoses. What's a conenose, you ask?

Well, even the rattlesnake eaters mind the conenoses. They are like bedbugs, bite and suck your blood just like bedbugs, except that they can be up to 3/4" long. Welcome to Texas, and enjoy your stay.
Near the Arizona/New Mexico bootheel, we call our conenoise Kissing bugs. You don't want to be kissed by them. The bite isn't as bad as the next step which is they crap on the bite, and gives you the nasties.

Chagas Disease
Chagas disease is rare in San Diego County and there has never been a case reported that was acquired locally. It is spread by kissing bugs, but not by their bite. The disease is spread through the bug's droppings. If the droppings are spread into the bite, it can enter the human body. It is important to always clean the bite with Iodine to prevent infection and wash to remove the droppings. The disease is most often found in Latin America because the species there are more likely to release their droppings after feeding. Symptoms of the disease include swelling of the face, fever that develops two weeks after the bite, swelling of other areas and sometimes nervous system disorders
Old 07-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #12355

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Made a post on redduck's thread today (here), after a hiatus of a few months due to a serious health problem. May open up about this later, as it might help others with the same illness in the future.

Well, thanks for showing up with your usual solid advice. It was a tough choice, but I decided to go with your ideas re: Not-Really-Mrs. Redduck('s) (a term that I recently coined) retirement funds. It was a difficult call because MichaelB's suggestion of "More cowbell" was really appealing.

But, the triple-leveraged ETFs idea--a touch of genius: (I once touched a genius, but she told me if I touched her again, she'd call the police).

OK, back to your suggestion:

"Not just any options, but you want options of the most volatile stuff like triple-leveraged ETFs, such as SOXL, SOXS, EDC, etc... Just search the Web for "triple-leveraged ETFs", then narrow down to the ones that have options traded. Those are the ones you want and need".

I did not search the Web for "triple-leveraged ETF's"--I just bought the three that you suggested. I also did not do that option trading thing--seemed too risky to me. I know, I whussed (sp)? out, but I'm using a 69 year old woman's money, so I need to be responsible.

I hope that you stay pessimistic well into your late 80's (at least).

Your friend,
redduck

One question: Did you take a Percocet before you posted the above financial suggestions? Just sort of curious.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #12356
Give me a forum ...

Oh no, Mr.Redduck!

I mentioned SOXL (3X Semiconductor Long) and SOXS (3X Semiconductor Short) as examples of triple-leveraged ETFs, but they move in opposite directions. If one thinks that the semiconductor industry business is picking up, which should mean that their stock prices are going up (but not always, which is why you need the special software), you buy SOXL, which goes up 3X more than the semiconductor stock themselves. So, buying $1 of SOXL is equivalent to buying $3 of SMH, a straight semiconductor ETF.

Now, one will say "but how about I buy $3 of SOXL to give me the same effect as buying $9 of SMH?" Excellent question! It would get you there even a lot sooner, whether to the poor house or to a Beverly Hills mansion, that depends on the quality of the future-predicting software that tells you to buy or sell.

In contrast with SOXL, if the semiconductor industry goes up 1%, SOXS would go down 3%. Or conversely, if the semi industry goes down 1%, SOXS would go up 3%. So SOXS is the good stuff to get if you or your software thinks that the like of Intel, Texas Instruments, etc... will have bad earnings.

Obviously, you did not write that software, because you said you bought both! I don't think any software would be so buggy that it would tell you to buy both. Oh well, at least they roughly cancel each other out, and losing money you will, but at a slower rate.

I cannot help you with that software, because I have not done it myself either. I am no hedge fund manager, and I never said it nor implied it. If I were, I would want 2% annual fee, plus 20% of gains (but not losses), and you mentioned you got into enough problems with your own cut of the accounts of almost-Mrs.-Redduck.

Sorry that I have given you incomplete instructions, not realizing then you would follow it.

So, what's the recourse now? You need to get rid of them. Sell, sell, sell, and buy Pssst Wellesley, or Dodge & Cox, or even cowbells (symbol CWBL?).

No, you want to wait a while to learn how it works with these triple-leveraged ETFs? Then, you will need to make up your mind whether the semi industry will go up or down. You then sell one of the SOXL or SOXS, and double up on the one that you are keeping.

But you still do not have that proprietary software? As it is a binary decision, I would suggest a coin throw as the most practical solution. Head you keep SOXL, tail you keep SOXS.

About the Percocet, it has been given to me ever since I woke up on that hospital bed, which had all the bells and whistles (literally!). And all the cute nurses and nurse aides were at my beck and call via the buttons right by my head. It was a nice stay, but all things nice eventually must stop, as they say, and they pushed me out. Yes, I was pushed literally, all the way to the pickup point, sitting in one of those wheelchairs, even though I insisted that I was able to walk then, very slowly and crouching, but without grabbing the IV stand for support as I did a few days earlier. Nice people, and I truly do not care how much my insurance will have to pay them.

And by the way, you may wonder why one needs SOXS, if he can just short SOXL. Long the short is equivalent to short the long, oui? Yes, sort of, but one cannot short a long inside an IRA, so he has to long the short in a tax-deferred account. Silly IRS thinks it can tell people how to gamble, er, invest their money, but when there's a will, there's a way, or often even two ways.

I have been taking only 1/2 of the Percocet prescription. Obviously, either my pain is not too bad, or I was born with a deficience of nerves, I am not sure. The nurses kept insisting that I took 2 pills saying "everybody does", and I kept saying "no thank you". But if I had taken 2 pills instead of 1 when I mentioned SOXL and SOXS in the same sentence, perhaps I would have been in less pain, and would have the clear mind to tell you that you only chose 1 of the 2. Sorry for the confusion.

I need to log off and go get my Percocet now.

Your friend,

NW-Bound
Old 07-13-2013, 04:19 AM   #12357

There was a brief-enough interlude in the rain for the roads to dry out and go for a short motorcycle ride before the rain started again.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:06 AM   #12358
Administrator

Went to see "The Lone Ranger" last night. We enjoyed it, but not everyone will.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:24 AM   #12359
Give me a forum ...

Painted another room yesterday. Have I ever mentioned that I hate to paint? Slow progress, but getting there. Still plan to get my Aunt's old house on the market by Fall.

About to mow some grass and then golf this afternoon. That is if my aching back stops aching.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #12360
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Went to see "The Lone Ranger" last night. We enjoyed it, but not everyone will.
DW, DS and I went last week. Entertaining, and I loved the music (William Tell Overture).

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Closed Thread